hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar

Owen Coyle sacked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19869286

Been saying for weeks that he faces a real test of his relationship with the chairman - had a brutal run of fixtures at the start of last year's EPL and never really recovered. Always liked him as a manager and a character, and have no doubt he will get another job soon.

Went from St. Johnstone to Burnely just before JC resigned - I'm convinced he would have been our manager had he not left Saints before Collins left us. Would have done a great job here, I reckon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Bolton's my english club, so naturally feeling a bit down about this. To be fair, he's been given a decent amount of time to get things going in the right direction, and he's simply not managed to. Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane are apparently potential replacements.

Bolton had a fantastic run in the EPL but last season simply didn't deserve to stay up. I don't think the club has ever quite got over the departure of Allerdyce to be honest.

I think he's a good manager to be honest. The game down there doesn't give managers any room for slip ups. I'm sure he will be back in the game soon enough.

As for the early fav Mick McCarthy, I rate him alongside the likes of Megson, Jewell, Jones all shocking managers.

A big relief, to be honest. He was a good servant as a player during what is mine (and many others) BWFC fans favourite era but he's been struggling to turn things round for the last 18 months and his tactical naivety has really been shown up this season, never mind in the Premier League. I think it reached the point of no return when we lost at home to Palace last week, conceding a penalty for the fourth game in a row and just looking so flat and disinterested and incapable of creating the chances to get back in to the game.

It's certainly not the delighted reaction when Megson was sacked, but the time was right for him to go and now the real work begins. My preferred candidate would be someone from abroad who can take a clean look at the squad with no preconceptions and try and get the best out of what is a relatively talented side but hugely lacking in direction and organisation.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A big relief, to be honest. He was a good servant as a player during what is mine (and many others) BWFC fans favourite era but he's been struggling to turn things round for the last 18 months and his tactical naivety has really been shown up this season, never mind in the Premier League. I think it reached the point of no return when we lost at home to Palace last week, conceding a penalty for the fourth game in a row and just looking so flat and disinterested and incapable of creating the chances to get back in to the game.

It's certainly not the delighted reaction when Megson was sacked, but the time was right for him to go and now the real work begins. My preferred candidate would be someone from abroad who can take a clean look at the squad with no preconceptions and try and get the best out of what is a relatively talented side but hugely lacking in direction and organisation.
    How was his relationship with Kevin Davies always got the impression from afar they didnt always get on that well and that KD wasnt happy not starting near the end of last season. Assume Davies is a strong character in the dressing room.

Like Owen Coyle given he always comes over very enthusiastically. Thought he dealt with the Muamba situation with a lot of class. As has been said I think the timing worked against him re Hibs job as he would have been the ideal fit for us at that particular time.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I don't think Coyle will be out of the game for long. It shows what can happen to a club though, that got relegated by no more than a fag paper.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    How was his relationship with Kevin Davies always got the impression from afar they didnt always get on that well and that KD wasnt happy not starting near the end of last season. Assume Davies is a strong character in the dressing room.

Like Owen Coyle given he always comes over very enthusiastically. Thought he dealt with the Muamba situation with a lot of class. As has been said I think the timing worked against him re Hibs job as he would have been the ideal fit for us at that particular time.
    I don't think Davies is the type to go against a manager to be honest as he's pretty much the ultimate pro and had been given a lot of responsibility by Coyle to try and bring on the younger players etc. As you say, Coyle dealt with the Muamba situation with tremendous dignity and there's no doubt he has a great depth of feeling for BWFC, but it's the right move all around. He was a good 'fit' with St Johnstone and Burnley, but the expectations of Bolton and Hibs fans are relatively similar which actually makes me think he may have struggled a little had the timing been different and he ended up with the Hibs job.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Next Scotland manager?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I don't think Davies is the type to go against a manager to be honest as he's pretty much the ultimate pro and had been given a lot of responsibility by Coyle to try and bring on the younger players etc. As you say, Coyle dealt with the Muamba situation with tremendous dignity and there's no doubt he has a great depth of feeling for BWFC, but it's the right move all around. He was a good 'fit' with St Johnstone and Burnley, but the expectations of Bolton and Hibs fans are relatively similar which actually makes me think he may have struggled a little had the timing been different and he ended up with the Hibs job.
    Cheers thanks for the insight. As you say sometimes managers and clubs need a break as players sometimes dont always react to the same messages. I am sure Coyle will do well in football and see him back as a manager somewhere however think he would do well as a pundit as he is enthusiastic (unlike some Lawrenson being one) and knows the game.

I wonder who is the next Bolton manager off the rank? Hope it's not Pat Fenlon.

Scottish Anglo managers taking a bit of a doing of late, GJP, Kean, Coyle.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Can't see it. Usual names of McCarthy, Curbishley, Keane being banded about but I'd go for the 'unknown foreigner' option, personally.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    In one of the papers down south today, they were speculating about Roy Keane being an early favourite as he stays local and that would appeal to him. Along with McCarthy, he seems another odd choice from the failure list.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    In one of the papers down south today, they were speculating about Roy Keane being an early favourite as he stays local and that would appeal to him. Along with McCarthy, he seems another odd choice from the failure list.
    No chance of Keane. Fair to say the BWFC fans didn't exactly get on with him when he was a player and, from the horse's mouth, the feeling was pretty mutual. Current favourite is McCarthy with Curbishley and, somewhat surprisingly IMHO, GJP not far behind.

Can't see it. Usual names of McCarthy, Curbishley, Keane being banded about but I'd go for the 'unknown foreigner' option, personally.
    Why would any club even think about employing Roy Keane given his brutal record with Sunderland and Ipswich?

Coyle was probably not an ideal match for Bolton. The club had prospered with the long ball style with Big Sam and to a lesser extent Megson. Coyle favours a purer approach and tried to change the style in a period of cost cutting.

Curbishley has been out of the game for some years and seems very 'picky'. He was lined up to replace Mick McCarthy at Wolves last season but pulled out leaving they with little option but to go for Terry Connor.

Mick McCarthy could be a decent option for Bolton.
    Last edited by jgl07; 09-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Why would any club even think about employing Roy Keane given his brutal record with Sunderland and Ipswich?

Coyle was probably not an ideal match for Bolton. The club had prospered with the long ball style with Big Sam and to a lesser extent Megson. Coyle favours a purer approach and tried to change the style in a period of cost cutting.

Curbishley has been out of the game for some years and seems very 'picky'. He was lined up to replace Mick McCarthy at Wolves last season but pulled out leaving they with little option but to go for Terry Connor.

Mick McCarthy could be a decent option for Wolves.
    Can't see them wanting him back TBH!

What price Coyle ending up back at Burnley?

Scotland manager in 2 weeks time i think.

Predicting 1 point out of the next six and then its bye bye potter

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Next Scotland manager?
    Yes please.

Not sure how much of that is to do with wanting Coyle though and how much it has to do with wanting rid of the current kn0b in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenSQH View Post
    Scotland manager in 2 weeks time i think.

Predicting 1 point out of the next six and then its bye bye potter
    Possibly right, although I hope Scotland do better than that! Actually I reckon Coyle is the sort who likes a club environment more. He'll not be unemployed for long.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I thought the thread title said "Eoin Doyle" at first!

What price Coyle ending up back at Burnley?
    None whatsoever. I was at the Burnley-BWFC game on the opening day of the season and I've never seen anything like the abuse that Coyle was getting from the Burnley fans, and that includes the 'Kean Out' malarkey at Blackburn.

First Team Breakthrough keithkeith's Avatar
    Been racking my brains for 10 mins now as to who GJP is?!

Quote Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post
    Been racking my brains for 10 mins now as to who GJP is?!
    McLeish.

What goes around comes around.

Coyle left Burnley for a 'bigger club' when he should have stayed and tried to stay up. Well look what's happened now Coyle..... These young managers need to think about this before jumping ship straight away.

My Burnley mate will be laughing no doubt.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    What goes around comes around.

Coyle left Burnley for a 'bigger club' when he should have stayed and tried to stay up. Well look what's happened now Coyle..... These young managers need to think about this before jumping ship straight away.

My Burnley mate will be laughing no doubt.
    Why should he have stayed? The guy built a decent reputation and was offered a bigger job off the back of that. Opportunities come along and you have to take them if they feel right for you, no-one has a crystal ball only hindsight which is a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Why should he have stayed? The guy built a decent reputation and was offered a bigger job off the back of that. Opportunities come along and you have to take them if they feel right for you, no-one has a crystal ball only hindsight which is a wonderful thing.
    Keeping Burnley in the premiership would have been a bigger achivement than he achived at Bolton. Infact he would be in a big job now but instead he has been sacked. Imo.

First Team Breakthrough keithkeith's Avatar
    McLeish.
    Ta!

Was bugging me - Had J*mbo Pr*ck lined up as the JP....

Ginger had escaped me as well...

Must keep up to speed with these, instead of guessing!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Someone got the fishing rod out?

Hope the tongue was firmly in the cheek when you asked that question.

Think you can rest easy. Pat Fenlon will be nowhere near the running for the Bolton job or any other like that at this moment in time.

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Keeping Burnley in the premiership would have been a bigger achivement than he achived at Bolton. Infact he would be in a big job now but instead he has been sacked. Imo.
    At the height of his 'powers' at BWFC, we were 8th in the league and in the FA Cup Semi Final, something he would have never managed at Burnley. And don't underestimate the size of the pull to join a club who he already had a depth of feeling for from his playing days. The fact that it didn't work out was irrelevant - if it had worked out then we'd have potentially been back in Europe again, and that definitely wouldn't have happened at Burnley.