hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 48 of 48
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by reversep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I played for Leith Schools Select team in the 70,s we played Edinburgh Schools select in the first round
    at Warriston and beat them 5.2.
    We had a fantastic side that beat school select teams all over Scotland eventually getting beat in the Scottish Cup Final
    from Hamilton Schools select.
    Leith Select also got to the final 4 years earlier in the 70,s but also lost.
    At the time these were the only two occasions the Leith Select ever got to the final.

    100% correct - I watched the Leith Schools v Hamilton Schools 1978 Scottish Schools Cup Final (in which Reversep played at centre half) and played in the 1974 Scottish Schools cup final for Leith against Aberdeen , which we lost 4-2 over two legs (John Hewitt scored twice for Aberdeen) . And let me assure you, in those two particular years, Edinburgh schools were not in the same league as the laddies fi Leith.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32

    Mackie shield final at Warriston

    Played for Granton in Mackie shield final at Warriston got beat 2-0 think it was either Silverknowes or Muirhouse we played against round about 77-78

  4. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by spudhib View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was this 1982 if so I played up front in your team lol.edit though I'm sure it was played at warriston so maybe not.
    My mistake it was played at warriston, but the year I played was 1976.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    John Kay ran the Leith Schools XI in my year 1985 - I remember him driving an auld clapped oot car - I'm sure he had a greyhound dog too 😀😀
    Yep john Kay used to drive a blue Hillman imp! He was a bookies assistant and when he signed me for merchiston boys club, he said to my mum, he only had three intrests, greyhounds, football and 12 year old boys! Innocent times then, if he said that now he'd be hauled in by the polis! 😁

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member happiehibbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron D Hibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that you Stevie I played in that team Ronnie Hackland.
    Ha ha yes Ronnie how are you ? Saw Kieth a few times this year ask have been helping my mate at Spartan EOS when Hibs are away

    Hope your well



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by cappoquinboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    100% correct - I watched the Leith Schools v Hamilton Schools 1978 Scottish Schools Cup Final (in which Reversep played at centre half) and played in the 1974 Scottish Schools cup final for Leith against Aberdeen , which we lost 4-2 over two legs (John Hewitt scored twice for Aberdeen) . And let me assure you, in those two particular years, Edinburgh schools were not in the same league as the laddies fi Leith.
    I played in that game too! Think this is a photo of Leith Select from 1974 I found.

    We got beat 2-0 away and drew 2-2 at Meadowbank and I think Jimmy Dignan scored our 2 goals.

    Had no idea I played against John Hewitt.

    I played sweeper and have the ball at my right foot and slightly more hair than these days.


  8. #37
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My story's a tad different. I played in the younger Holy X primary team as a centre forward. The wonderful Alan Lugton was goalie for the older team. One day, after playing in my game, Luggy was sick/injured & couldn't play in the next game so I was drafted in as an emergency keeper!! I'd never played there before but had a blinder & we won 3-1. A Leith selector was there so next week I was playing in goal in final trial for Leith schools!! Of course I was s***, we lost 4-0 & my keeping career was over! I probably also ruined Alan's as I'm sure they thought I was him, well for one week anyway!!
    Wot!

    You a centre forward?

    A centre half of some repute I will concede, but a centre forward?

    Only super players got to fill that role when WE were playing Brian

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member happiehibbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by gazmac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I played in that game too! Think this is a photo of Leith Select from 1974 I found.

    We got beat 2-0 away and drew 2-2 at Meadowbank and I think Jimmy Dignan scored our 2 goals.

    Had no idea I played against John Hewitt.

    I played sweeper and have the ball at my right foot and slightly more hair than these days.

    Jimmy Dignan is a friend of mine one mighty footballer he gave up football as he met his wife and would travel to port Glasgow every weekend
    He could play !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member brog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,576
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wot!

    You a centre forward?

    A centre half of some repute I will concede, but a centre forward?

    Only super players got to fill that role when WE were playing Brian
    It was a very long time ago Freddie. As I was never blessed with lightning pace a transition to the back was a tad easier especially when certain opponents were even slower than me!
    PS, what a lovely thread!

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I played in goals for the Leith Primary School team. In 1984 we won the Mackie Shield beat Silverknowes 7-1 in the final. In 1985 the same team won the Leith Schools Cup beating Ferryhill 5-3 in the final - both games played at Warriston Playing fields. We had an excellent team and from memory we were unbeaten in the 2 years the team were together.

    I was lucky enough to be picked for the Leith Schools XI team to play in goals. My best memory of playing for the select team was playing Edinburgh Schools XI before a Hibs v Rangers game at ER for some Challenge Cup. Jackie McNamara Jnr played in the Edinburgh Schools team up front and he scored twice that day. From memory Edinburgh won 4-1.

    I remember trying to kick the ball up the slope and it did seem like a big slope  I also remember the Rangers fans trying to put me off when I was in the goal at the Dunbar End  Tam McNiven presented the medals at the end and we got to watch the Hibs Rangers match for free - we were allowed into the enclosure beside the tunnel under the radio Hibs box 

    I think the Rangers fans caused loads of trouble that day in the ground the skinheads from memory !! Bunch o Neanderthals !!
    i think i may have been the goalkeeper for Ferryhill in that game.... first choice keeper was injured in a freak skateboarding accident and i was pulled in from midfield as a sub keeper (obviously not my favoured position given the scoreline)

  12. #41
    First Team Regular E10 Rifle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Posts
    816
    Anyone happen to know the whereabouts of either the Mackie Shield or Leith Schools Cup nowadays (was the Inspectors Cup the Edinburgh School one?)

    I think those Leith Schools strips from 74 were still in use in 82! We beat West Lothian in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup but lost to Aberdeen Schools in the second round at Warriston. John Kay was there as ever (good lad).

  13. #42

    Leith Primary Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may have been asked on here before so apologies if it has...but. Did anyone ever play in the finals of the Mackie Shield or Leith Primary Schools cup...and/or represent Leith Primary Schools XI at any stage (the select team that played in the Scottish Cup and v Edinburgh Primary Schools not just the Leith Primary School team) There was also a 6's at Warriston too at some stage.

    If so I'd be interested in the competition, opponents, result and year...and for Leith Primary Schools XI just the year. Very little is coming up on Google and I thought it was the sort of thing that would have been recorded somewhere?

    Cheers,
    I played with Bonnington school, not so successful in any of the cup competitions in the 3 yrs I played. I represented Leith Primary Schools XI in 1973, when we got to the Scottish cup final (Wilson cup) against Dundee Primary schools. The first leg was played at Meadowbank Stadium where we lost 4-2 and the 2nd leg was played at a Dundee juniors side park where we lost 2-0. 6-2 on aggregate.
    Some of the players I can remember are Goalkeeper Nisbet (brother of Scott Nisbet), Kenny Davie, Kenny Lyle, (rangers, motherwell) a lad called Kaye, wee guy from Silverknowes called Sabo, Scott Fraser (rangers) Mike Cadger, Colin Weir, Rab Stewart (Hearts) Charlie Naples and myself obviously Raymond Reid. Sorry if I've missed a few out lads, if you're reading this.

  14. #43
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,215
    Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone happen to know the whereabouts of either the Mackie Shield or Leith Schools Cup nowadays (was the Inspectors Cup the Edinburgh School one?)

    I think those Leith Schools strips from 74 were still in use in 82! We beat West Lothian in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup but lost to Aberdeen Schools in the second round at Warriston. John Kay was there as ever (good lad).
    Lorne primary won the Mackie Shield in the 80s, it mightíve been the last time it was held as I remember it being in the school for a number of years. School football stopped for a number of years around that period. I might be wrong, but I think Alan Combe played in the team that won it.

    United we stand here....

  15. #44
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Oxenfoord
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by cappoquinboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    100% correct - I watched the Leith Schools v Hamilton Schools 1978 Scottish Schools Cup Final (in which Reversep played at centre half) and played in the 1974 Scottish Schools cup final for Leith against Aberdeen , which we lost 4-2 over two legs (John Hewitt scored twice for Aberdeen) . And let me assure you, in those two particular years, Edinburgh schools were not in the same league as the laddies fi Leith.
    Great name - top greyhound at Powderhall. 👏👏

  16. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I played with Bonnington school, not so successful in any of the cup competitions in the 3 yrs I played. I represented Leith Primary Schools XI in 1973, when we got to the Scottish cup final (Wilson cup) against Dundee Primary schools. The first leg was played at Meadowbank Stadium where we lost 4-2 and the 2nd leg was played at a Dundee juniors side park where we lost 2-0. 6-2 on aggregate.
    Some of the players I can remember are Goalkeeper Nisbet (brother of Scott Nisbet), Kenny Davie, Kenny Lyle, (rangers, motherwell) a lad called Kaye, wee guy from Silverknowes called Sabo, Scott Fraser (rangers) Mike Cadger, Colin Weir, Rab Stewart (Hearts) Charlie Naples and myself obviously Raymond Reid. Sorry if I've missed a few out lads, if you're reading this.
    Stuart Kay and SABS

  17. #46

    Leith Primary Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stuart Kay and SABS
    I'd like to know who I'm replying to ?


    Raymond

  18. #47
    Testimonial Due Mick O'Rourke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Clermiston
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I played in goals for the Leith Primary School team. In 1984 we won the Mackie Shield beat Silverknowes 7-1 in the final. In 1985 the same team won the Leith Schools Cup beating Ferryhill 5-3 in the final - both games played at Warriston Playing fields. We had an excellent team and from memory we were unbeaten in the 2 years the team were together.

    I was lucky enough to be picked for the Leith Schools XI team to play in goals. My best memory of playing for the select team was playing Edinburgh Schools XI before a Hibs v Rangers game at ER for some Challenge Cup. Jackie McNamara Jnr played in the Edinburgh Schools team up front and he scored twice that day. From memory Edinburgh won 4-1.

    I remember trying to kick the ball up the slope and it did seem like a big slope  I also remember the Rangers fans trying to put me off when I was in the goal at the Dunbar End  Tam McNiven presented the medals at the end and we got to watch the Hibs Rangers match for free - we were allowed into the enclosure beside the tunnel under the radio Hibs box 

    I think the Rangers fans caused loads of trouble that day in the ground the skinheads from memory !! Bunch o Neanderthals !!
    My son and my nephew played in same Leith Schools team as you that day at Easter Road.
    Michael and Jamie O' (both Holy Cross primary)
    I remember K. Waugh(Chairman) wanted to charge the parents entry to watch the game.
    As you say, it was played before the huns game, March 1982,which was a 0-0 draw.
    Jimmy spoke to Kenny and as far as i recall all the parents of the boys got free entry to the enclosure.
    I sat on the Hibs bench with Jimmy during the game (not the hun game !)

    But certainly the Schools game was a better watch than the main feature .
    I think the late Tom O'Malley organised the event.
    The score was 3-3 ..
    You do yourself a disservice!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 07-04-2021 at 12:42 PM.

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,945
    Can't remember if it was that tournament or not but we got to the final with Bonnington, the final was played down the Links and with a minute to go it was 1-1

    We scored an absolute screamer in the top corner to win the game 2-1 except there were no nets in the goals and the ref said it went wide, even the other team were telling him it was a goal but he just wasn't having it

    We lost in extra time, I'm still bitter about it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)