hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross Caldwell

Ross Caldwell

I thought he was great today. Strong and quick something i cant think seeing a youth player having these qualities for a while. Had a few good chances to score but created a few too. What was everyone elses opinion on the lad?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmy1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought he was great today. Strong and quick something i cant think seeing a youth player having these qualities for a while. Had a few good chances to score but created a few too. What was everyone elses opinion on the lad?
    He'll have benefitted a lot from that 90 minutes. No doubting his ability but it's a helluva jump from youth to first team.
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    He was quailty
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Thought he had a good game, he linked up with Doyle really well, created a few chances and was unlucky not to score.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    He actually surprised me with how well he competed,overall good performance from him IMO

First Team Regular weedgiehibbie's Avatar
    Was quite impressed with the lad today, was quiet at times but did hee haw wrong and impressed at time and had a couple of chances, as stated its a big jump up to 1st team footie & he has much to learn but he did well today, the lad has potential

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Young fella has bags of energy and enthusiasm to get on the ball. That 90 mins will do him a great deal of good. Still has a lot of raw edges - but there is a player in there.

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmy1875 View Post
    Agreed, reminded me of a young GOC when he was first introduced to the first team in terms of build, physique, pace and ability to compete with the physical and older defenders he was up against!

Looks like a very decent prospect IMO!

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoHibby View Post
    Agreed, reminded me of a young GOC when he was first introduced to the first team in terms of build, physique, pace and ability to compete with the physical and older defenders he was up against!

Looks like a very decent prospect IMO!
    Nah, Ross held the ball up today.
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I take it i'm in a minority when I say I thought he looked a bit slow?

He is however good at taking players on. Some of his twists and turns at the side of the box were impressive and showed his desire to get into the box and to make space for crosses. But I think he needs to work on his pace. There were a couple of times when he had the opportunity to get one on ones with the goal keeper, but couldn't beat the last defender for pace.

Didn't look out of place at all.

Think I'm in a minority but thought he tired and faded last 20 mins but overall can be pleased with his performance.

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Think I'm in a minority but thought he tired and faded last 20 mins but overall can be pleased with his performance.
    This is exactly what i thought too. Was excellent for 70 mins then just drifted out the game. Should have been subbed. Think the lad can do well overall though. Well done Ross !
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Thought Fenlon might have replaced him with Kuqi (or even brought on Sproule earlier and pushed Cairney into CM) for the last wee bit, but I thought he did well enough.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    Thought Fenlon might have replaced him with Kuqi (or even brought on Sproule earlier and pushed Cairney into CM) for the last wee bit, but I thought he did well enough.
    He should have done exactly that, other than the ref my only gripe today was us not getting a sub on early enough

changed days if thats all i have to moan about!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevesyb
    If I remember correctly it was he who passed the ball over the Wotherspoon for his goal so that will surely go down as an assist?

I thought he put in a real shift today. It is refreshing that he seem to have a genuine option on the bench and I think he will only get better as the season progresses.

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    He reminded me of a young Garry O'Connor but perhaps should have been subbed after about 75mins by Kuci because he seemed to run out of steam.

Impressed. I think we missed Griffiths though.

First Team Breakthrough TomoHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tamsen94
    Fantastic today hoping that he plays like that next week

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibby View Post
    Impressed. I think we missed Griffiths though.
    Would be astonishing if we didn't.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    I thought Caldwell was excellent today, nit much of a goal threat but a really good target man, hi showed real strength in keeping the ball and linked well with the rest of the team

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    He should have done exactly that, other than the ref my only gripe today was us not getting a sub on early enough

changed days if thats all i have to moan about!!
    great minds and all that I think Cairney is a bit wasted on the left. Not that he's not good, I really like him, but he doesn't seem to want to play many balls into the box and so gets a bit stuck and ends up playing it back. Would like to see him get more space through the middle.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    great minds and all that I think Cairney is a bit wasted on the left. Not that he's not good, I really like him, but he doesn't seem to want to play many balls into the box and so gets a bit stuck and ends up playing it back. Would like to see him get more space through the middle.
    I was saying to someone today that if we played him in the middle he could be like John O'Neil was for us ;)

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Thought the lad done well enought, good strength and I thought he had decent pace aswell.

In the cairney point I agree, I wasn't impressed withbDeegan I'm sure I read Mcgivern can play wide left ? Pit him there and cairney into the middle in place of Deegan

@hibs.net private member
    For 75 minutes he was excellent and like what everyone is saying he was like a young GOC. For the last 15 minutes he was like an old GOC. He should have been subbed but that game will benefit him. The boy has got a chance to really shine. For an 18 year old he was impressive

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Played well for seventy. Just needs more time. I don't doubt he'll come good though. Impressed with what I seen.

Blog Entries
    The lack of reserve league makes it even hard for youngsters to bridge the gap between youth and first team these days - so its to his immense credit the way he played in that 90 mins.

The fact that it did not look like his first full start + 90 mins says a lot. His fantastic winning of the ball and finding Spoony in space to get his goal was a highlight. He worked and closed down and did well in the air - like most strikers would benefit from a run of games with partner to get to know their game (like he and Handling have had) I also thought that the manager was clever in using this particular game after such a good positive support from the stands last week - we really need to get Stanton and possibly Handling blooded in the same way to give us options and progress with the tight squad we have

Slight aside - but the way the whole team celebrated Spoonys goal said volumes for team spirit....

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I was thoroughly impressed by Caldwell today, really good in the air as well as closing down the Caley defence when they had possession. Keep it up!

Left by mutual consent! Stuarty27's Avatar
    I thought he was excellent today, I watched him closely all game and he didn't give the ball away once, his hold up play was great and he was unlucky not to score. All that was missing from his performance was a goal.

I would much rather pay to watch young guys like that, work there balls off for 90mins than washed up has beens like kuqi etc.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebakerboy View Post
    He reminded me of a young Garry O'Connor but perhaps should have been subbed after about 75mins by Kuci because he seemed to run out of steam.
    One or two around me said that, and i fail to see it? O'Connor never had the best feet, and always struggled with even the easy 5-10 yard passes, Caldwell for me looks much more comfortable on the ball than Garry ever did. Caldwells movement was very impressive at times, and for a young lad making his full debut, i though he did very well. Not as robust as a younger O'Connor was.

Watching him yesterday, in my opinion he's easily much more of a team player, more aware of whats happening around him and better on the Ball than O'Connor ever was, the question is can he score goals at this level?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Was described by someone at the club as 'like Steven Fletcher, but with two good feet.'

Hope he lives up to that billing, he certainly looked the pat yesterday.

The Rams have been forced to play the young lad Patterson and I reckon Caldwell looks twice the player he is.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net