hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Subsidised Travel To Motherwell - Discussion Thread

To keep the main thread on topic let's have the discussion about it on here.

Comments posted so far are........

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mikey, please tell me you haven't hired those same rickety old 'School Buses' that you hired in May.

Never mind reduced price, YOU'D have to pay ME before I went on one of those things again
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875
    Be quicker walking
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn
    Im confused, we had a tennis thread on main board, now we have a travel thread on the main board....

Do I post bus details on here now
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7
    Double deckers only
    Ah right, got ye......
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF
    This is a one off where hibs.net is trying to help take a few more fans along to an away game to cheer on the team. Of all people, I thought you would understand that. We do not have a hardcore group of away travellers like yours and other well established branches, so starting from scratch and filling a bus will need all the help we can get.

Cup final bus threads were on this forum too, but cannot mind you complaining then
    I'm sure the other buses would love to have their buses advertised on main page, which has much greater volume of traffic, than the travel forum.....In times of people not affording to be able to travel, this impacts supporter's buses.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF
    To be honest I think you are being a wee bit one eyed about this. We are helping subsidise travel costs and trying to encourage more fans to a game. If we titled the thread 'Ignore the Carlton (or whatever branch you are in) bus and come with us' then I could agree with your stance, but I think we will just have to agree to disagree.
    Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by dp00
    Geez this is a great idea that we should all be getting behind not slating... I hope the club advertise this too
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster
    Whilst I think it's great that you are encouraging more fans to travel to away games I tend to agree with Baldy Foghorn. We (East Lothian Hibs) run buses to every home and away game, trying to encourage more fans to travel and have done so for many many years. The things that Mikey is experiencing right now - sourcing buses, booking buses, advertising, collecting names, dealing with call offs, collecting fares, paying bus firms etc are things that we go through for every game (every away game in Foghorn's case). In my opinion all travel info should be gathered in the one place, you cant be seen having one rule for some and one rule for others. Its unfair that Mickey has front page billing for running a bus to a one off game whilst the established Branch's who run buses to every game get a column on page 27. As Foghorn says we would all enjoy the exposure Mickey's bus is getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by IFONLY
    As bus convener for the Four in Hand I agree totally with this post. As bus conveners we constantly struggle to fill our buses and we dont always make a profit, in fact we end up subsidising some of the buses that we run. I am sure that we would benefit from the exposure that the Hibs.net buses are getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip
    Then I hope the club advertise ALL buses going to Motherwell game and all future games!
    Quote Originally Posted by legends of 73
    Agree with all of the above it's a tad unfair but i'm sure all regular travellers on the regular buses will still be on calton,4 in hand ,east lothian etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass
    Just one thing, this IS Hibs-Net advertising their own Hibs-Net bus?
    I would think if Hibs Net wished to advertise their own bus on this page surely that is their perogative as they are also allowing other buses to freely advertise their own buses on Hibs-Net, NO?

Or am I seeing it wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot
    Pretty much how I see it...
    Last edited by Mikey; 13-09-2012 at 12:00 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just to clarify, it's a one off attempt to get as many Hibs fans along to a game that's at an unsociable time and is on TV. The site is subsidising the cost to make it more attractive to those who wouldn't normally go and want to make a night of it. We're not muscling in on the travel scene by undercutting everyone else, it's a simple case of subsidised buses to a single game, which is something that fans regularly suggest that the club could be doing.

It's a venture that might get close to breaking even, depending on the uptake, but in all likelihood it'll cost the site a couple of hundred pounds. The money's there so we're giving something back to our users.

The more Hibs fans that are there the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Just to clarify, it's a one off attempt to get as many Hibs fans along to a game that's at an unsociable time and is on TV. The site is subsidising the cost to make it more attractive to those who wouldn't normally go and want to make a night of it. We're not muscling in on the travel scene by undercutting everyone else, it's a simple case of subsidised buses to a single game, which is something that fans regularly suggest that the club could be doing.

It's a venture that might get close to breaking even, depending on the uptake, but in all likelihood it'll cost the site a couple of hundred pounds. The money's there so we're giving something back to our users.

nobody is disagreeing that fact the more fans there the better the point is that if any of the guys who run buses every week to games posted their bus on the main board it would get punted to the "travel to games forum" is that not a fact.

I think it is a fantastic idea, will be amazing seeing a huge Hibs support, good work!!

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Is the game on tv? I thought these Friday night games were to see how many would attend, not for tv?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I'll be travelling by car but it strikes me that the Net buses will appeal to the occasional supporters who might not otherwise go to Motherwell as opposed to the supporters who are already aligned to a regular bus or are members of an official supporters branch.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Is the game on tv? I thought these Friday night games were to see how many would attend, not for tv?

Correct. Last seasons game was not on TV...as I found to my cost pitching up in the pub all ready for a Friday night swally and watching the cabbage!!

A couple of points:

Do any of the guys who run buses every week think they are going to lose any regulars to the Hibs.net buses? Surely if you travel on the same bus every week you're not going to give that up for a week for the sake of a few pounds.

Secondly Hibs.net is letting these other buses advertise for free on the site. They could quite easily refuse or charge for the service. Hibs.net is choosing to run a one off bus to ond game and the admins should be entitled to post details wherever they want. As Mikey has said above it may well end up costing the site money to do this.

Not a big deal imo.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

ESPN - even although they're currently advertising it as a Saturday game with their coverage starting at 7:15.

@hibs.net private member
    God give me strength!

I am rarely shocked, even on here, but to see people, who are given free reign to advertise their buses on .net without as much as a please or thank you, greetin about hibs.net advertising a one off bus on the wrong forum has actually rendered me speechless.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar

re travel

Totaly agree Mrs S.we should get behind the team and support them in any way..Keep up the good work mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I'll be travelling by car but it strikes me that the Net buses will appeal to the occasional supporters who might not otherwise go to Motherwell as opposed to the supporters who are already aligned to a regular bus or are members of an official supporters branch.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMaGlass
    Just one thing, this IS Hibs-Net advertising their own Hibs-Net bus?
    I would think if Hibs Net wished to advertise their own bus on this page surely that is their perogative as they are also allowing other buses to freely advertise their own buses on Hibs-Net, NO?

Or am I seeing it wrong?
    No, you are not seeing it wrong.

It's got nothing to do with club or official site. It's just us trying to get more fans to the game and it appears (to me anyway) that there is a concerted effort by all the bus convenors of established branches to put the boot into the idea.

We can always cancel it and have less fans at the match and then read the moaning posts the about fans sitting at home watching it on the telly.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

This. ^

As said it is a one off by .net, which may attract a few extra supporters along to watch the team on a Friday night, can't see the problem with that, i will also be travelling by car.

Well done Hibs.net

Hopefully your bus will fill, and you are able to help more fans get to away games.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    God give me strength!

I am rarely shocked, even on here, but to see people, who are given free reign to advertise their buses on .net without as much as a please or thank you, greetin about hibs.net advertising a one off bus on the wrong forum has actually rendered me speechless.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.
    You've got a lot to say for someone who is speechless

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A couple of points:

Do any of the guys who run buses every week think they are going to lose any regulars to the Hibs.net buses? Surely if you travel on the same bus every week you're not going to give that up for a week for the sake of a few pounds. We might lose a few who work in town or are Edinburgh based with it being a midweek game.Secondly Hibs.net is letting these other buses advertise for free on the site. They could quite easily refuse or charge for the service. Hibs.net is choosing to run a one off bus to ond game and the admins should be entitled to post details wherever they want. As Mikey has said above it may well end up costing the site money to do this. I realise that but it would be nice if we could get some front page exposure as well if it could help us generate more folk travelling with us, we need a minimum of £12k a season to run buses to games. I dont have a problem if our details stay on the Travel forum and Hibs.net choose to advertise on the front page, it's cool.Not a big deal imo.
    Ive answered your points in bold.

my 'be quicker walking' comment was made tongue in cheek(forgot my smiley)

still traumatised that the highlight from my cup final day was being on the bus that konked out on the m8

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    my 'be quicker walking' comment was made tongue in cheek(forgot my smiley)

still traumatised that the highlight from my cup final day was being on the bus that konked out on the m8
    No problem. The 85 seaters suit what we're trying to do.

We could have got 49 seaters but that would mean too much per head cost wise, and the 70 seaters are really uncomfortable as their layout is 2 seats, a very narrow aisle, and then 3 seats. They're much more suited to school runs which is what they tend to be used for.

The feedback I got on the double deckers was pretty good so we're going with them again.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    You've got a lot to say for someone who is speechless
    I dont speak what I am typing. A better post would have been - yeah your right, we are being petty

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    I dont speak what I am typing. A better post would have been - yeah your right, we are being petty
    Rather than being ashamed, I was speaking up for Carlton, East Lothian, Four in Hand, who run buses to all fixtures. Sometimes we dont get enough travellers to balance the books, however, we provide a service regardless.....

There is a travel section, whereby our buses are listed in there. My moan, if you want to call it that, is that we would prefer to receive the traffic that the front page offers.....Hardly surprising that my Branch and the other Buses are treated the same, but that goes across the Board..... Am I ashamed for that, absolutely not......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

On ESPN......

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Spot on.

No, you are not seeing it wrong.

It's got nothing to do with club or official site. It's just us trying to get more fans to the game and it appears (to me anyway) that there is a concerted effort by all the bus convenors of established branches to put the boot into the idea.

We can always cancel it and have less fans at the match and then read the moaning posts the about fans sitting at home watching it on the telly.
    Nonsense.......

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Rather than being ashamed, I was speaking up for Carlton, East Lothian, Four in Hand, who run buses to all fixtures. Sometimes we dont get enough travellers to balance the books, however, we provide a service regardless.....

There is a travel section, whereby our buses are listed in there. My moan, if you want to call it that, is that we would prefer to receive the traffic that the front page offers.....Hardly surprising that my Branch and the other Buses are treated the same, but that goes across the Board..... Am I ashamed for that, absolutely not......
    Its one bus to one game ..if we ever decided to make it a regular occurence ie weekly/fortnightly (which we wont anyway) then I would expect it to be advertised on the travel forum just as your bus & others are ..

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Its one bus to one game ..if we ever decided to make it a regular occurence ie weekly/fortnightly (which we wont anyway) then I would expect it to be advertised on the travel forum just as your bus & others are ..

I have no say on how this forum is run, nor do I think I can win on this one.....Too tired to continue with it, I'm out.....

Nonsense.......
    It's just my opinion. I wasn't expecting you to agree with it

Out of interest, was there any complaining when the Edinburgh and Livingston (now Four in Hand I think) started up? They are relatively new and so would have been, I assume, nicking punters from yourselves and other branches causing similar financial woe ala the charge against this bus.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    It's just my opinion. I wasn't expecting you to agree with it

Out of interest, was there any complaining when the Edinburgh and Livingston (now Four in Hand I think) started up? They are relatively new and so would have been, I assume, nicking punters from yourselves and other branches causing similar financial woe ala the charge against this bus.
    I had a spat over the new bus leaving from the same pub, we dealt with it, and we now try and help each other where possible...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

Great initiative from Hibs.net branch. Other HSC branches can have their own websites. Well done lads for trying. We already let other branches advertise their bus on the forum.

Left by mutual consent!
    I remember when I had to buy an evening news and look up the sports section. In that section was a list called "for the fans" which indicated buses running to the away matches and the times/pick up points etc.

How times have changed. We now get them on the main board these days

@hibs.net private member

Oh come on Baldy you know you were having a wee moan.

Is your issue that .net is running a bus or that .net is advertising their bus out with the travel forum? Or both?

I am sure people on here are clever enough to find the travel forum if they are looking for transport. A lot of people will use the new posts button so will see the travel forum regardless.

You never know you might even get some new custom if people go on our one off bus and decide they want to go to more away games! Then they will be able to find you on .nets travel forum that is provided free to help out guys that run buses as well as people looking for a bus.

The Lets work together initiative should work for fans too. I know for the cup final I personally pointed people in the direction of many buses. If I knew someone was looking I spent hours PMing bus convenors trying to fill up buses and get guys a seat. In fact the last few days before the final my days were almost completely taken up trying to get transport organised for people I didnt even know!

Originally Posted by IFONLY

As bus convener for the Four in Hand I agree totally with this post. As bus conveners we constantly struggle to fill our buses and we dont always make a profit, in fact we end up subsidising some of the buses that we run. I am sure that we would benefit from the exposure that the Hibs.net buses are getting.

You obviously have a short memory mate ..when your bus kicked off under the West Edinburgh banner it had plenty exposure on the main forum, cant remember you complaining about that though ..