hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fartin army

Fartin army

What a bunch of tossers the (majority of) tartan army are. This was my first international since 1985 and was surrounded by student types attempting to live up to the hype (singing the deplorable doe a deer etc.). Worse than that the fat over 40's who want everybody to JOIN in...... attempting to dance with stewards and generally attempting to force comedy like a boring uncle at New Year. Absolute cringe worthy. Decent atmosphere at times today but my son (attending his first international) summed it up when he said "it's ok but would rather watch the Hibs".

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HONG KONG PHOOEY's Avatar
    What a stupid post. Folk singing songs u do not like or did not join in with ? Thought the atmosphere was okay today (was in the north stand) .To call us "tossers" for sod all is a bit rich. Watch both Hibs (every where) and Scotland (every where) and think the atmosphere at Scotland games are a lot better than a Hibs game.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    My thoughts about the 'Tartan Army' are much the same as they are for 'Eng-er-lund's' support. Mainly made up of people who watch footy on the box and don't actively support a club. Most of the people at my work who actually go to games now and again couldn't really give a rats behind for the England team. Much of their support comes from the Sun reading tradesmen of the builders crack, bald-headed, beer-bellied persuasion who are too busy pushing a trolley round Asda for the missus on a Saturday to bother going to games and they 'support' Man U or Arsenal or Chelsea and it's too far away and they can't get a ticket, and it's on the box anyway.

This is, of course, a wild generalization, and should probably be ignored as I'm a bit pee'd off with the whole 'International' scene atm.....

My experiences with the Tartan Army had generally been poor, most of the guys I knew seemed to know hee haw about football and care not a jot about the result, it was all about the bevvy and having a laugh.

Nothing wrong with that in itself but its not really my scene. You absolutely can't fault the loyalty of these guys though, they must spend a fortune watching a piss poor product and they deserve credit for that.

Those feathers in army hats annoy the **** out of me for some reason though!!!

Spending a lot of money watching a team ? Is that not the same as watching Hibs ? I have (and a few people on here) watch a lot of club and country football- so what make me or you qualify me or any support know "her haw" about footbal ?

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.sct View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a bunch of tossers the (majority of) tartan army are. This was my first international since 1985 and was surrounded by student types attempting to live up to the hype (singing the deplorable doe a deer etc.). Worse than that the fat over 40's who want everybody to JOIN in...... attempting to dance with stewards and generally attempting to force comedy like a boring uncle at New Year. Absolute cringe worthy. Decent atmosphere at times today but my son (attending his first international) summed it up when he said "it's ok but would rather watch the Hibs".
    My god we can't go to a football match, support your team and have a good sing song anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    My thoughts about the 'Tartan Army' are much the same as they are for 'Eng-er-lund's' support. Mainly made up of people who watch footy on the box and don't actively support a club. Most of the people at my work who actually go to games now and again couldn't really give a rats behind for the England team. Much of their support comes from the Sun reading tradesmen of the builders crack, bald-headed, beer-bellied persuasion who are too busy pushing a trolley round Asda for the missus on a Saturday to bother going to games and they 'support' Man U or Arsenal or Chelsea and it's too far away and they can't get a ticket, and it's on the box anyway.

This is, of course, a wild generalization, and should probably be ignored as I'm a bit pee'd off with the whole 'International' scene atm.....
    Sorry most of that is garbage, I watched Scotland for years and went home and away with Hibs. Most of the guys i know who still go to all the Scotland games still go home and away watching Hibs.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    My god we can't go to a football match, support your team and have a good sing song anymore.

Sorry most of that is garbage, I watched Scotland for years and went home and away with Hibs. Most of the guys i know who still go to all the Scotland games still go home and away watching Hibs.
    Good post !

think you are being a tad unfair on those aulder gadges. they come from an era when playing for Scotland, or actually going to support them, meant something. those guys have seen a few "up'n'at them " sides over the years but dont see that now.these guys are hooked on Scotland and try to help generate an atmosphere that is not quite what it used to be. there are also a whole load of younger guys that spend a lot of dosh to support the national side , so who are you, to slag any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PHOOEY View Post
    Spending a lot of money watching a team ? Is that not the same as watching Hibs ? I have (and a few people on here) watch a lot of club and country football- so what make me or you qualify me or any support know "her haw" about footbal ?
    In my defense I quite clearly said that that was my personal experience and guys i knew, I'm sure there's plenty Tartan Army guys who are very knowledgeable about football.

The part about money spent was meant as a compliment, any football fan who spends their hard earned on their club/country deserves credit.

First Team Breakthrough Postman's Avatar
    What a ridiculous post! Calling it 'The Fartin Army' is cringe worthy and not a particularly good attempt at being funny either so wouldn't be having a go at others trying to have a good time at the football today! The atmosphere was decent and that's despite how bad Scotland were today and lets not kid ourselves on and say the Easter Road experience at the moment is better?! Imagine, folk going to football, singing and wanting everybody to join in....just ridiculous! Even worse when you're over 40 and a wee bit heavy!

By the way, what is the age limit for that sort of thing??

The Tartan Army are so cringey. Almost as pathetic as the Dutch and the Irish. Its just a silly fancy dress party. I would rather sit with 5 hibs fans in the East stand rather than 50k screaming tartan army members.

I don't follow international Fitba myself but really can't understand the snobbery some display towards those who do. Weird.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    The Tartan Army are so cringey. Almost as pathetic as the Dutch and the Irish. Its just a silly fancy dress party. I would rather sit with 5 hibs fans in the East stand rather than 50k screaming tartan army members.
    Totally agree, the Irish are prob the world's worst at this kind of thing, good for Roy Keane pointing it out during the recent Euros

[QUOTE=CB_NO3;3354281]The Tartan Army are so cringey. Almost as pathetic as the Dutch and the Irish. Its just a silly fancy dress party. I would rather sit with 5 hibs fans in the East stand rather than 50k screaming tartan army members.
    Pipe down ya dafty. I was reading this thread with intrigue as there are some valid points made up until your post. I for one, was but am no longer a member of the Scotland travel club (the tartan army phrase is too freely banded about!) Durin those days i had some of the best and most memorable days out and trips ever. You sound like you've never been part of it and therefore your condemning of the 'tartan army' is as irrelevant as it is misguided.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Christ all mighty, leave them alone.

So people turn up in kilts for a drink and a banter, so what?

I spoke to a few of these kilt wearers in my local today who had been at the game, and they were all really nice people who had a great time at the game.

The problem isn't them, the problem is us.

We must be some of the dullest fans in the league.

Aye, lets forget about dressing up, having a bevy and a laugh.... because its cringeworthy right enough...

A lot of the Tartan Army spend a fortune going abroad etc to see their country, let them sing and wear what they want. I love being Scottish, and the only concern (hatred) i have just now is the manager, not who sings and wears what!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    I don't go to any international games, shouting 'w**ker' on top of 'Flower of Scotland' is one reason. When did that even become acceptable? It seems a very stupid thing to do, for me the song is passionate and when thousands shout that word out it's ridiculous.

The attitude of some Tartan Army members (or whatever their supporters club is called) is quite petty. I was working in the bar tonight and when they came back through to Edinburgh the different groups were all chatting away then started arguing about who had travelled the most miles to see Scotland and saying 'aye I've got a ticket for Wales, do you? I bet you don't' or 'I went all the way to the States for the game this summer' as if they were trying to outdo other fans, and it's not the first time I've seen that before.

Also I seen someone else said that they know hee haw about football, some of them actually don't. A group of guys refused to believe me that Belgium are a much better team than Scotland and have a starting line up which costs over £100 million, I think that sums it up for a minority of them.

Other reasons I don't like going include; tickets are too expensive, travel time is too much, Scotland play some of the worst football I've seen from a national side, Levein, I don't feel overly patriotic, some fans are complete nuggets, not emotionally attached to the side, most players are nuggets and international football is a waste of time. That's all I can think of just now.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    You'd think that you need a license and footballing degree to watch football going by some of the posts on here. Get a grip of yourselves eh.

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Lost interest in the national side a long time ago, I could never get my head around why a player who consistently plays well for his club is not Scotland quality but a transfer to the old firm bench was instantly enough to somehow gain that elusive Scotland quality

As far as I'm concerned it just another avenue to over inflate the old firm myth.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

I got called a "****** Serbian Bastirt" when I was walking down the street by some eejit off his rocker. I said...

Me: "What ?"

Tartan Army Phanny: "Yir a Serbian arse !"

Me: "Why's that ?"

TAP: "Yir no wearin a Kilt or a Scotlin toap"

Me: "Well you're just an arse mate..."

TAP: "Aye..Thought that"

At least he admitted it, I've no time for it myself really, just seems like an excuse to start drinking at 10am and deem it acceptable. To each their own I suppose.

Edit: This was in Edinburgh a good 5 hours after the game and I was in my work gear...
    Last edited by EdinMike; 09-09-2012 at 03:14 AM.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Hibs.net Logic

No singing/minimal singing = stadium's full of boring tossers who'd be better off watching the rugby.
    A lot of singing = stadium's full of 'cringeworthy student type tossers' who are trying too hard.

Basically, the rule is that one can never, ever be content with anything. There's always a fault, you've just got to look hard enough!

**** the Tartan Army and Section 43!
    Last edited by SRHibs; 09-09-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe's ice cream View Post
    Totally agree, the Irish are prob the world's worst at this kind of thing, good for Roy Keane pointing it out during the recent Euros
    I don't think he said anything of the sort. What is it you're referring to?

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Imagine going out with your mates to the football and trying to enjoy yourself....jings crivens whatever will be next

Scotland games are all about going to the game with people you never get the chance to experience match days with having a good lash at it singing your heart out back to the pub then home reeking drunk with a kebab next to you when you wake up in the morning with the added benefit of not remembering much of the dross football on offer

The OP says its his first game since 1985 pretty sure you've watched games heard people talk about games since then if it's not your scene you should have stayed away instead of going for your weekly chance of a moan as for you're son Iv no doubt he'll enjoy the Scotland experience more when he goes with his pals

People spend a lot of time and money following Scotland everywhere in there thousands can't be that terrible of an experience I'd be more inclined to believe there's a bit victor meldrew creeping in, in your advancing years

Tartan army are one of the main reasons i couldnt give a **** about scotland. Middle aged men in mid life crisis's, folk who feel the need to dress like willie wallace for a football match and still in this day in age, the anti-english pesh. Absulute phannys...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    What a pile of mince. Of course there are tossers. You ever been to cup final with Hibs and seen some of the tossers that call themselves Hibbys? They create an atmosphere. Whetherf that atmosphere is currently deserved or not is another matter. I did laugh at ond guy behind me though. Called the Serbs a bunch of foreign b's. Followed thzt up by calling the ref one as well. He then made the brilliant assumption that they must be biased because they were all foreign b's. I found it quite amusing.

I blame Craig levein.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not a regular at Scotland matches, but those games I have been to, I've always thought the atmosphere was amazing. You do always know if you are sitting next to a Rangers or Celtic fan though as they are invariably lavish in the praise of their own players and critical of the other half of the old firms!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    i was there. First Scotland game at Hampden. Not for me.

Grown men in funny hats, wearing kilts and singing nonsense songs. Lot of rubbish. The Tartan Army ain't for me. Wee bit embarassing.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt & Sauzee View Post
    I don't go to any international games, shouting 'w**ker' on top of 'Flower of Scotland' is one reason. When did that even become acceptable? It seems a very stupid thing to do, for me the song is passionate and when thousands shout that word out it's ridiculous.

The attitude of some Tartan Army members (or whatever their supporters club is called) is quite petty. I was working in the bar tonight and when they came back through to Edinburgh the different groups were all chatting away then started arguing about who had travelled the most miles to see Scotland and saying 'aye I've got a ticket for Wales, do you? I bet you don't' or 'I went all the way to the States for the game this summer' as if they were trying to outdo other fans, and it's not the first time I've seen that before.

Also I seen someone else said that they know hee haw about football, some of them actually don't. A group of guys refused to believe me that Belgium are a much better team than Scotland and have a starting line up which costs over £100 million, I think that sums it up for a minority of them.

Other reasons I don't like going include; tickets are too expensive, travel time is too much, Scotland play some of the worst football I've seen from a national side, Levein, I don't feel overly patriotic, some fans are complete nuggets, not emotionally attached to the side, most players are nuggets and international football is a waste of time. That's all I can think of just now.
    Great post.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller