hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress?

Progress?

So is any progress we have made this season just been thrown out the window after that? Missing players remember. Tuesday night, long journey etc. I'm not to bothered about that result and you can tell the club aren't either. As long as we keep it up in the league that's what really matters.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think tonight, if anything, has shown that we haven't really made any true progress and are only a few injuries away from returning to the dirge of last season.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So is any progress we have made this season just been thrown out the window after that? Missing players remember. Tuesday night, long journey etc. I'm not to bothered about that result and you can tell the club aren't either. As long as we keep it up in the league that's what really matters.
    This thread a wind up? Have I taken the bait?

The club, manager, players and supporters should be bothered we only really have two chances (Slim Chances) of silverwear every season, that's one down and we aren't even out of August! Our club aren't Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea we need good cup runs in order to get much needed funds to spend on players during the transfer windows.

I'll be honest the folk who think this result should be swept under the carpet need there head examined. We have been played off the park by a second division team, they brought on a player Willie Gibson in the second half who I've played against a few years back and he's shocking.

Hibs players and staff should be ashamed of themselves after that.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    They should be bothered about it, it was a cup game and they are representing Hibernian. We got pumped in our last cup game and this was a chance to start us off on the road back to redemption but instead we went in half-ersed and we're out the cup and embarrassed.

They should be bothered about every game we play.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Of course, but say come the end of the season and were in the top 6..would anyone be that bothered about this result? Would anyone look back and still rage?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Of course, but say come the end of the season and were in the top 6..would anyone be that bothered about this result? Would anyone look back and still rage?
    They should do, it's an opportunity lost again. When the cup final is on, or the draws for the next rounds are made, we'll be thinking back to now and cursing this result. We don't win many cups,and we don't get to too many finals. When we're drawn against a 2nd division side we should be expecting to go through.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Take one game at a time, you can't say we will get top six at this stage of the season. I could put it to you that should we finish 2nd or 3rd should we have tried harder in the LC and gave ourselves a decent chance of winning something?

PF keeps telling us that we need to stop being a soft touch well tonight Mr Fenlon our team were a soft touch all over the park, bullied and harrassed by a second division team who deserved there win.

Spot on Matty. Realistically we shouldn't be anywhere near the relegation spots this year and I fear we will drop away from the chase for Europe, so I'm sure we'll all be wondering 'what if?' come March.

I think well finish top 6, pending injuries that would just **** us over. All im saying is yes we should have win, the cup is important but in the grand scheme of things tonight's result wasn't the end of the world, we are still a far better team than last year. The main objective this year is to make progress in the league, which so far we have done.

Gamer IDs

I think well finish top 6, pending injuries that would just **** us over. All im saying is yes we should have win, the cup is important but in the grand scheme of things tonight's result wasn't the end of the world, we are still a far better team than last year. The main objective this year is to make progress in the league, which so far we have done.
    I fully agree that the league is the main focus this season but, we as a club need a decent cup run to get the funds into the bank so that we can progress. We still have a massive number of players who are dead wood and need rid sharpish to progress Kujabi, O'Hanlon, Booth, Stephens, Galbraith, Sproule and prob others too.

Like you say if things go tits up and our first 11 get suspesions or injuries these are the players we need to rely on to get us through games and they can't even put in a performance against QOS!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Maybe if bonuses were related to income from cups it would hit home how important it is we don't go out at first time of asking. In the grand scheme of things with money too tight to mention I think it could well be a relative setback unfortunately.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I think that's rubbish. The club aren't in a position to throw away the income derived from a cup run or one of the two chances of silverware.

Last night wasn't about Hibs not really caring. It was about Fenlon underestimating a second division team and making changes to a winning team. As I said on a PM board, Fenlon seems to be fine as long as he's not having to put too much thought into the team (I.e. 442 and all the obvious players playing in their best positions). As soon as he tries to mess about with tactics or positions, it goes pear-shaped.

Having tactics would be a good start. We were out classed.

Its only the wee cup

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I've been supportive of fenlon since he came in and i still am but last night was a spectacular own goal. We've been dire for so long now and we needed to keep up the little bit of momentum we had going.irrespective of who we were playing he should have put our strongest team out then maybe made changes if we were winning. We have missed out on some much needed revenue and if we go on a bad run from here he will get pelters for it. We need to dust ourselves down now and try and get a result on saturday as last night has just made the trip to parkhead much more important

@hibs.net private member
    I'd rather we finished 8th or 9th and had a chance to win the League cup, than scrape into 6th place and not win it.

Feel good factor has gone for me. You travel all that way and see that team sheet and you think "but I want to support my team, not an elephants graveyard xi".

Long way back home thinking dark thoughts about why this club with this board and this manager deserve any of my time and support. Terrible

These head in the sand posts are just as bad as the "doom and gloom" posts. The club will need good cup runs to boost the coffers for January and beyond. I don't think they will take too kindly to the club being pumped out of one of the cups by the end of August.

It's not the end of the world but to brush it under the carpet is wrong. It is potentially a substantial amount of lost revenue that may effect the budget of Fenlon, it is a lost chance of a Semi-Final or another trip to Hampden, and 500 Hibs fans have travelled a long way to see the team pumped out by a 2nd Division team.

It's quite a big boot to the spuds.

Blog Entries
    It's a shocking result. We've recently taken three steps forward but last night we took two steps backward. The annoying thing is that we will have to wait a while to see if more progress can be made as Celtic will eat us alive on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    Last night proved 2 things that kujabi should never put ona jersey again and punted along with o'hanlon!

The hoofball tactic was brutal and cost us we never really got cairney and deegan on the ball ..

Griffiths had no support cause kuqi doesn't look fit either! If we get injuries I wouldn't be so confident with last night performance of them coming in and making a difference! Was a long journey last night
    sumed it up for me when 3 players come over and say thenaks for the support!

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    The thing is, we didn't bring in untried youngsters against QOTS, these were players who are professionals, and should be beating QOTS every week. I don't know if some players just turned up with the wrong attitude, or if we just couldn't get the ball down and it was a bad night at the office, or a combination of both. Griffith's always gives 100%, but for him to miss such glaring chances are unlike him. It was probably a bit of both. Last night is only really a backwards step if we don't learn from it. It may have been the last chance for a couple of players to show they still had a place at Hibs, because PF is after players in thier position, and if that's the case, then fair dos. This season is all about finishing higher than last season, I can wait a year for us to challange for trophies.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I think that's rubbish. The club aren't in a position to throw away the income derived from a cup run or one of the two chances of silverware.

Last night wasn't about Hibs not really caring. It was about Fenlon underestimating a second division team and making changes to a winning team. As I said on a PM board, Fenlon seems to be fine as long as he's not having to put too much thought into the team (I.e. 442 and all the obvious players playing in their best positions). As soon as he tries to mess about with tactics or positions, it goes pear-shaped.
    i dont know if i would say its fenlon not putting too much thought into the team. I would class it as using a competitive game to make sure squad players are up to the job (they aren't). There have been people crying out for booth to get played and some saying give kujabi a run on left wing so it wasnt like its a crazy idea Fenlon just came up with. Mcpake and hanlon are unlikely to play all games this season so givingo'hanlon a run out isn't total madness either given the fact Stephens has proven he cant be relied upon.

Yes the cup is important but a good league position is more important and though we are second we haven't looked great so its important these we find out sooner rather than later if these guys can step in when needed, and its obvious they can't. At least we know now while theres time to do something about it rather than after friday and tggddn midway through the season injures kick in and we start to plummet down the league and get kicked out the Scottish cup first round. That team should have been good enough to beat QotS, we know it and i'd bet Fenlon knows it, but they didnt.

We arent the first team to get knocked out by a smaller club and we wont be the last. It did tell us our first eleven can be competitive but thats it. As long as a) we never see that line up starting a game again and b) a few more players come in then i will take it as lesson learned.

p.s. apologies now for any spelling or grammar issues, it's early and i'm typing this on my phone.

Finishing 8th and winning a cup at Hampden.

Finishing 5th and out both cups early doors.

I know which I'd prefer. I'm not massively upset about resting a few players in a midweek cup game. What I am upset about is the fact our squad has been shown up for how light it is. If McPake and/or Maybury get injured that's what we are left with. We need bodies in, good cup runs pay for these bodies.

Thing is, I am just as annoyed as the next fan that we lost last night, but if we get any sort of result on saturday against, the QoS result will virtually be forgotten until the next round when we aren't there, and everyone will be back to praising the team again. I understand that last nights result has shown severe weaknesses in our squad as a whole but I can't help looking at the table and seeing us in 2nd and being optimistic for the season, it is early days but who knows??

Last night was a shocking result and a real disappointment although when I looked at the starting 11 I knew we were going to be beaten. O'Hanlon and Kujabi are simply not good enough and Hanlon seems to need to be coached whilst he's on-field - probably due to the rubbish he's played alongside for years now.

The progress we have made so far this season hasn't been 'thrown out of the window' however last night does highlight that if we have to rely on the same players that weren't good enough to get a game towards the end of last season, as backup to an average to Ok starting 11, then we will be in another relegation battle this time round too. Deegan and Cairny also picked thier night to have an off game.

If we are to make any substantial progress on last year then we need 3 more players; but I'm not confident of getting them.

At least the majority of you on here didn't have to face the "being beaten by yer hame team" comments this morning.

The players that have come in have not had much first team football not an excuse however it also shows us that any injuries and we dont have the quality to replace players?

Quote Originally Posted by gegs70 View Post
    The players that have come in have not had much first team football not an excuse however it also shows us that any injuries and we dont have the quality to replace players?

The worst aspect for me is that Kuqi to all intents looks a dud. I was hoping we'd added a guy that could do a Brewster or latter day Mixu, but it looks like we've added a slug like behemoth. Sheridan freed by CSKA yesterday could have been done, stupid by Fenlon and Petrie for sanctioning this deal. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibby View Post
    The worst aspect for me is that Kuqi to all intents looks a dud. I was hoping we'd added a guy that could do a Brewster or latter day Mixu, but it looks like we've added a slug like behemoth. Sheridan freed by CSKA yesterday could have been done, stupid by Fenlon and Petrie for sanctioning this deal. Not good.
    Im sure if he gets a few games he can get better. Just ashame we identify players and bring th the em in after the season has started!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gegs70 View Post
    Thats correct, who was injured last night?

That is why we have won next to nothing in the 51 years i have followed Hibs and will probably just as little in the next 51. All the keech the board spout about challenging at the top, blah , blah and so on, is crap pure unadulterated crap. We are in severe danger of alienating our support in it's entirety but hey never mind we will still be here, probably as a third division club. If last night does not bother you you should be ashamed.