hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The Fenlon Debate

Since there seemed to be some rather heated exchanges on the match thread tonight about whether Fenlon is useless or not, and if so how useless he is, I thought I would offer a little clarity:

Ratings of our last five managers (% performance in all matches against SPL opposition based on 3 pts for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss)

Collins: 49%
    Mixu: 42%
    Yogi: 38%
    CC: 33%
    PF: 37%

So PF is better than Calderwood and only marginally worse than Yogi. Having said that, in presiding over a 0-5 reverse at home to Celtic, an utter humiliation against Hearts in the cup, and now a pumping out of the League Cup by 2nd Division opponents, PF has three ribbons on his chest that none of his predecessors quite managed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    He is also the only manager out of them that had to immediatly follow the mess that CC left behind. That has to be taken into account in terms of percentages.

Livid about tonight but we need to give the guy time. Window closes on Friday, lets hope he brings in a bit of pace and guile to the midfield.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.sct View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Livid about tonight but we need to give the guy time. Window closes on Friday, lets hope he brings in a bit of pace and guile to the midfield.
    He's supposed to have done that already.

Don't, just don't.

Poor result, Hibs losing in their first game in the cup to a 2nd division side is never acceptable.

Shouldn't even be talking about emptying him just now though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    In whom?

First Team Breakthrough gackohibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gackochan PSN ID: Gackochan
    the percentages also tell a very obvious story. the slow decline of quality at hibs!!

I strongly believe Pat Fenlon is the man to take us forward. We have already shown improvement in the new signings he has made!
    Keep the Faith!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibee Gallagher
    Out of those 5 he was left with the worst squad and didn't have a summer transfer window to sort it out, last season was written off when he took over, he was meant to keep us up and he did. Fenlon is the only one to get to a Scottish cup final as well. Not one of us ever thought about getting to the Scottish cup final as possible when Fenlon took over, start a fresh, look at his results so far this season and he's looking much better than the stats suggest

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think he's good enough and is the man for the job, but he got it horribly wrong tonight.

Regardless of the team selection there has to be a question over his tactics tonight.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    That's right, because he's been static in the transfer market.

Major surgery takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slenj.=] View Post
    In whom?
    Cairney was supposed to have pace and Deegan was supposed to have guile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    He is also the only manager out of them that had to immediatly follow the mess that CC left behind. That has to be taken into account in terms of percentages.
    Do I have to put tonight's result down to Fenlon still sorting out the mess that CC left behind as well? I confess I would struggle with that one a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailrod View Post
    Do I have to put tonight's result down to Fenlon still sorting out the mess that CC left behind as well? I confess I would struggle with that one a bit.
    And Calderwood gets a pass because he was the only one who had to inherit Yogi's mess.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

And Calderwood gets a pass because he was the only one who had to inherit Yogi's mess.
    Calderwood managed to take the mess that Yogi left and made it worse, I didn't think that was possible but he managed it

For me Mr Fenlon is not the man for the job (i hope am wrong) i dont want to go on and on but fix it before its to late

There was always going to be ups and downs this season.

The three good games in a row did not meant that a 'last season' esque performance wasn't lurking ready to return. Equally, nor does this one performance mean that we won't see any more performances like we've seen in the last couple games.

We have a decent starting 11 now, tonight showed that drafting back in some of the weak links from last season can quickly undo things. Hopefully those on high take note and release enough funds to prevent them from having to be seen again. Perhaps, as well as resting important players, tonight was to give those guys one last chance to impress, or indeed, enough rope to hang themselves with...

I'm willing to judge Pat on this season alone, so his percentage stats so far don't overly concern me. Should we go through this season and still be in the 30% range, then he will be out of excuses and had more than enough time to prove himself, and should go accordingly. Personally I think he'll get us into the top 6 at least this season, but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Ryan View Post
    Out of those 5 he was left with the worst squad and didn't have a summer transfer window to sort it out, last season was written off when he took over, he was meant to keep us up and he did. Fenlon is the only one to get to a Scottish cup final as well. Not one of us ever thought about getting to the Scottish cup final as possible when Fenlon took over, start a fresh, look at his results so far this season and he's looking much better than the stats suggest
    I think perhaps a wee bit of honesty is needed about that particular achievement. We got to the Scottish Cup Final last season without having to play a single team from the top half of the SPL. Which was probably just as well, because when you look at our results last season against the six teams who did finish in the top half of the SPL, we managed the princely total of one win in twenty tries (plus a win on pens v Motherwell).

And when we eventually did have to face a team from the top half of the SPL, things didn't actually turn out very well.
    Last edited by Nailrod; 28-08-2012 at 09:41 PM.

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    Sorry but it looks like he is creating his own mess himself. Having to sign another left back this season as his original left back he signed he does not want tp play as he is murder!

Lets face it I think people were getting a bit carried away with our 2 wins and a draw where we have been poor in spells of the games. Up until we scored on Saturday it reminded so much of the stuff we had to endure last season.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I think he's good enough and is the man for the job, but he got it horribly wrong tonight.

Regardless of the team selection there has to be a question over his tactics tonight.
    Agreed.

Not to mention his tactics in the Cup Final.

Regardless, the players must shoulder most of the blame. I wasn't there tonight but the reports from those that were, together with the result would suggest the players performed poorly. Now the conundrum for me is - are they just ****** or were they given crap tactics and instructions?
    This is how it feels

Terrible result tonight and Fenlon must take his share of blame but a lot of the folk who criticise him today and before seem to have been criticising him for whatever reason ( footballing or not ) since he was appointed . With Yogi it was obvious that quite a few here were dead against his appointment and didn`t even give grudging praise when we were doing well under him and even seemed to enjoy the " I told you so " when things went wrong . Probably the same with CC , Mixu etc too . Genuine criticism of managers for their tactics and signings etc including praise if / when things go well might be more useful . In the 45 years I`ve supported Hibs , Turnbull ( sacked as he led us towards relegation ) and Mowbray ( a failure as a manager since and lots of bad signings and cup results while with us ) were considered to be the best by " experts " . Of the recent managers , each one has inherited a worse squad than his predecessor . Is there really much difference between any of the managers at Hibs or elsewhere ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

I think perhaps a wee bit of honesty is needed about that particular achievement. We got to the Scottish Cup Final last season without having to play a single team from the top half of the SPL. Which was probably just as well, because when you look at our results last season against the six teams who did finish in the top half of the SPL, we managed the princely total of one win in twenty tries (plus a win on pens v Motherwell).

And when we eventually did have to face a team from the top half of the SPL, things didn't actually turn out very well.
    Fair enough but against Killie, I'm 100% we would of lost with Calderwood as manager. We lost 5-0 (I think?) with Calderwood as manager at Rugby Park but beat them in the league with Fenlon in the return fixture and in the cup

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Agreed.

Regardless, the players must shoulder most of the blame. I wasn't there tonight but the reports from those that were, together with the result would suggest the players performed poorly. Now the conundrum for me is - are they just ****** or were they given crap tactics and instructions?
    Pat Fenlon "disgusted" with Hibs performance. Strong stuff. Even hinted he might be "back in for a look" at on or two Queens players.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Pat Fenlon "disgusted" with Hibs performance. Strong stuff. Even hinted he might be "back in for a look" at on or two Queens players.
    And so he should be. Was he interviewed by the Beeb? I switched off after the end of the Livi game as I couldn't stand listening to that dick Preston
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Pat Fenlon "disgusted" with Hibs performance. Strong stuff. Even hinted he might be "back in for a look" at one or two Queens players.
    It might have been helpful if he had done that before the game as well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Cairney was supposed to have pace and Deegan was supposed to have guile.
    I could be wrong, but I don't remember anybody saying he had pace? All i remember was Fenlon saying he offers us 'something different' in midfield and could get us some goals..

Although, in the previous 2 or 3 seasons under CC and Yogi we had been put of the SC by lower division teams.

@hibs.net private member
    Agreed.

Every player in the squad with 2 years or less on their contract should've been emptied after the Final. As it is the first 11 are ok and will get by but as soon as you change a couple we're back into the dregs. They're not good enough, never have been, never will be.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    And so he should be. Was he interviewed by the Beeb? I switched off after the end of the Livi game as I couldn't stand listening to that dick Preston
    Not sure. Picked that up from a journo on twitter

@hibs.net private member rubber mal's Avatar
    Since there seemed to be some rather heated exchanges on the match thread tonight about whether Fenlon is useless or not, and if so how useless he is, I thought I would offer a little clarity:

Ratings of our last five managers (% performance in all matches against SPL opposition based on 3 pts for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss)

Collins: 49%
    Mixu: 42%
    Yogi: 38%
    CC: 33%
    PF: 37%

So PF is better than Calderwood and only marginally worse than Yogi. Having said that, in presiding over a 0-5 reverse at home to Celtic, an utter humiliation against Hearts in the cup, and now a pumping out of the League Cup by 2nd Division opponents, PF has three ribbons on his chest that none of his predecessors quite managed.
    It's not quite that simple though, is it? If your list of percentages proves anything it's that continually changing the manager is not the answer.
    It may all end tomorrow, or it could go on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    That's right, because he's been static in the transfer market.

Major surgery takes time.
    Do you (or anybody else know) how many players he's signed since January?