hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 US Open

Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cmon Roddick!
    Must admit, I've never been a big Roddick fan over the years, I found him quite boring to watch to be honest.

However, there's something different about him at this tournament. He's playing a really exciting style of tennis and as the commentators have been alluding to, I just wonder how much he'll be regretting that he hasn't played that way a lot more during his career.

I hope he wins tonight, although I think Del Potro will come through and win.

Del Potro is now two breaks up in the 3rd set, 3-0.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Poor crowd

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Poor crowd
    Just thinking that, myself.

Considering the circumstances and what this match means, you would think the American crowd would want to support one of their own all the way and give him as much encouragement as possible.

Any efforts from now on though may be in vain as Del Potro has now moved ahead by two sets to one, after taking the third 6-2.

First set to Cilic, 6-3.

Not good at all by Murray so far and more worryingly, his attitude seems to be a bit off at the moment as well.

Del Potro beats Roddick in 4 sets and ends the American's career after 12 years as a professional.

Del Potro goes on to face Novak Djokovic in the quarter finals.

Meanwhile, things are going from bad to worse for Murray as he's gone two breaks down in the second set.

Now 6-3 4-1 down.

Maybe next year.

Murray grabs a lifeline from nowhere.

From 1-5 down, Cilic has served for the second set on two occasions and Murray has now won 5 games in a row and leads 6-5!

Somehow Andy Murray manages to win that set!

From 1-5 down, he takes the tiebreak 7-4. Cilic really threw that away but credit to Murray over the past half an hour or so.

I don't see him losing it from now on but you never know!

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Superb end to the set from Murray. Bedtime for me unfortunately now!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Somehow Andy Murray manages to win that set!

From 1-5 down, he takes the tiebreak 7-4. Cilic really threw that away but credit to Murray over the past half an hour or so.

I don't see him losing it from now on but you never know!
    That's the thing wi Andy Murray, everyone now expects him to win from here.

Superb break of serve as I just finished last sentence.

@hibs.net private member
    Break Murray! Hadn't even realised they'd started. Glad i only looked on bc site now or i would have been a wreck!
    And Falkirk, don't say that! ;-p

It's all Murray now as he goes up two sets to one after taking the third set 6-2.

@hibs.net private member
    It's all Murray now as he goes up two sets to one after taking the third set 6-2.
    Have to sleep now, but hopefully when i wake up he'll have strolled the 4th set to wrap up the match.

Well done Andy, was fearing the worst halfway through the 2nd set. He seems to be back on his game now and should be find from here. The start wasnae good for the old ticker tho!

Cilic has just hit a brick wall ever since he lost that second set.

This hasn't been a contest at all in sets 3 and 4.

Andy Murray wins 3-6 7-6 6-2 6-0 in exactly 3 hours!

Well done, Andy and good luck in the semis!

He'll play either Roger Federer or Tomas Berdych in the last four.

6 0 in set 4, nice one Andy!

Berdych beats Federer 3 sets to 1 to set up a semi v Murray on Saturday. Berdych played well, but, I'm sure Murray would prefer to play him than Roger. It'll still be a toughie for Murray tho.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Berdych beats Federer 3 sets to 1 to set up a semi v Murray on Saturday. Berdych played well, but, I'm sure Murray would prefer to play him than Roger. It'll still be a toughie for Murray tho.
    I don't know. Sometimes he seems to play better when he is not favourite to win...

Also, he has a winning record (overall) against Fed and a losing one against Berdych!

Anyway, at this stage of the tournament he has to play out of his skin regardless of who is on the other side on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Gorman View Post
    I don't know. Sometimes he seems to play better when he is not favourite to win...

Also, he has a winning record (overall) against Fed and a losing one against Berdych!

Anyway, at this stage of the tournament he has to play out of his skin regardless of who is on the other side on the net.
    Aye he's 4-2 down against Berdych but two of those defeats are on clay. What a chance for another final and i ken its asking a lot, but would be nice if someone can take Djokovic out before the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Gorman View Post
    he has a winning record (overall) against Fed and a losing one against Berdych!
    Aye, they mentioned that after Berdych won. I just think the less members of the big 3 you need to beat to win a Major the easier (in comparison) your task is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Aye, they mentioned that after Berdych won. I just think the less members of the big 3 you need to beat to win a Major the easier (in comparison) your task is going to be.
    ... and given their dominance in the majors you are probably quite right.

There's no doubt that Berdych beating Federer will have given Murray a big boost.

Berdych does have a big, powerful game when he's playing well and it certainly won't be easy for Murray (particularly if he plays as badly as he did for the first hour and a half or so last night) but, over 5 sets, my money would be on Murray to reach his second US Open final.

The problem will be that I can't see any way how Novak Djokovic won't also be in the final on Sunday. I think he'll beat Del Potro later tonight, maybe in 4 sets, and then he should have a relatively straightforward semi against either David Ferrer or Janko Tipsarevic.

@hibs.net private member
    There's no doubt that Berdych beating Federer will have given Murray a big boost.

Berdych does have a big, powerful game when he's playing well and it certainly won't be easy for Murray (particularly if he plays as badly as he did for the first hour and a half or so last night) but, over 5 sets, my money would be on Murray to reach his second US Open final.

The problem will be that I can't see any way how Novak Djokovic won't also be in the final on Sunday. I think he'll beat Del Potro later tonight, maybe in 4 sets, and then he should have a relatively straightforward semi against either David Ferrer or Janko Tipsarevic.
    Don't think he is a shoe-in against del Potro. Del Potro has improved as the year has gone on and has won here before. Definately think the winner of that quarter will make it to the final though.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Don't think he is a shoe-in against del Potro. Del Potro has improved as the year has gone on and has won here before. Definately think the winner of that quarter will make it to the final though.
    Del Potro is a tough opponent, he has a huge forehand and obviously as a former champion, he shouldn't be dismissed. I just think Djokovic will have a little bit too much for him. It might go to 5 sets but I'll tip Djokovic to win in 4.

One set all in today's first quarter final between David Ferrer and Janko Tipsarevic.

Ferrer won the opener 6-3, however Tipsarevic has just levelled things by taking the second set on a tiebreak.

Maybe a bit of a surprise in store.

Tipsarevic takes the third set, 6-2 and goes two sets to one up.

It's going the distance though as Ferrer levels after taking the fourth set 6-3.

It's into a decider for a place in the last four.

@hibs.net private member
    It's going the distance though as Ferrer levels after taking the fourth set 6-3.

It's into a decider for a place in the last four.

6-6 in the 5th. They play a tie-break in the US Open don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post
    6-6 in the 5th. They play a tie-break in the US Open don't they?
    Yep, only grand slam which has a final set tiebreak.

Ferrer takes the final set on a tiebreak and goes through to the semis after more than 4 hours.

Huge respect to both players, it was a great contest and you've got to love David Ferrer.

Unbelievable endurance!