hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar

Gordon Durie Collapses

GORDON DURIE was rushed to hospital last night after a mystery collapse.

The East Fife manager was stretchered from the *dressing room after players raised the alarm when he blacked out *following a match.

Friends said Durie, 46, was still in hospital as doctors ran a series of tests.

Durie, who starred for Rangers and Scotland, complained of feeling unwell after watching his team draw 0-0 at home with Queen of the South.

Minutes later, he fainted in the shower in front of his shocked players, who raised the alarm with the club’s *doctor.

Durie received medical treatment at Bayview Stadium in Methil before being stretchered out to an ambulance.

He was taken to Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy, where he was kept in for *observation.

East Fife chairman Sid Collumbine last night said the Rangers nine-in-a-row hero had suffered a mini-seizure before he blacked out.

He added that Durie, who suffers from asthma, had started to feel better after treatment by medics at the club’s ground.

Collumbine said: “Everyone was in a panic when Gordon collapsed.

“We mangaged to get the club doctor and an ambulance to him quickly.

“Gordon was starting to feel better when he was being taken out on a stretcher but the paramedics weren’t taking any chances and insisted he go to hospital.

“We’re not sure what caused him to collapse but it was some sort of mini-seizure.”

Durie, who played 43 times for Scotland and starred for Tottenham and Chelsea, took over as manager of the Second Division team in March.

He was last night *recovering in hospital, where his condition was described as stable.

2. Log in to remove the advert

All the best to him, he was a great player at ER, get well soon Gogs

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Edit: Misread something earlier on - they reckon it was an allergic reaction which caused him to collapse yesterday.

Didn't he also collapse very randomly on the field for Rangers when they were playing Kilmarnock a number of years ago?
    Last edited by Sylar; 19-08-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Hope he recovers. Just one thing I couldn't help noticing in the report, it seems like he never played for Hibs...but whatever..as I said, I hope he gets better soon.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edit: Misread something earlier on - they reckon it was an allergic reaction which caused him to collapse yesterday.

Didn't he also collapse very randomly on the field for Rangers when they were playing Kilmarnock a number of years ago?
    It wasn't randomly, it was after he played on after a severe head knock. IIRC it was that incident which resulted in FIFA introducing the regulations pertaining to not playing within a certain period after suffering a serious head injury.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Cheers for the clarification Stevie.

Every day is a school day.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I was very small when juke box played for hibs but i do remember him All the best GD

Met Durie once when I was a nipper andhe played for the huns.

Signed my Hibs top and told me he enjoyed his time here.

All the best to him.

Seen every one of his goals in our fantastic double Old Firm defeating Skol Cup run of 1985. Probably one of my earliest Hibs heroes.
    Get well soon Duke box.

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Get well soon Duke Box.

Always enjoyed him playing with Hibs. Forward pairing with Stevie Cowan used to get bags of goals
    Last edited by Capt Mainwaring; 19-08-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    A great signing for Hibs. Managed to soil himself (twice) later in his career but only did good things for the Cabbage.
    Get well soon JukeBox.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Was a great player for us, seen him plenty times get well soon Juke box.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Gordon Durie was a favourite of mine and my son, when he was young. He had played in a defeat at Dundee when he was supposed to be injured. The Hibs support welcomed him on to the field with great cheering only for him not to last the whole game.

My son had his picture taken with him after the game only for Durie to go off to Chelsea the next week. I sent the picture on to him to sign and he sent it back with his best wishes and saying how good it had been to have played for Hibs and their supporters. Needles to say he went on to the Huns and spoiled it all!

Get well soon Gordon , hope you are ok.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    Gordon Durie was a favourite of mine and my son, when he was young. He had played in a defeat at Dundee when he was supposed to be injured. The Hibs support welcomed him on to the field with great cheering only for him not to last the whole game.

My son had his picture taken with him after the game only for Durie to go off to Chelsea the next week. I sent the picture on to him to sign and he sent it back with his best wishes and saying how good it had been to have played for Hibs and their supporters. Needles to say he went on to the Huns and spoiled it all!

Get well soon Gordon , hope you are ok.

GGTTH
    Was this not the SC semi v Aberdeen at Dens?

And he went on to spoil things further still....

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Was this not the SC semi v Aberdeen at Dens?

And he went on to spoil things further still....
    That was my recollection as well. A disappointing defeat at Dens that day.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    That was my recollection as well. A disappointing defeat at Dens that day.
    the cheer Durie got at the start was as good as it got. 3-0?

I've cheered him a lot of times for both Hibs and Scotland. I hope he's got something easily sorted. Get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    the cheer Durie got at the start was as good as it got. 3-0?
    Remember it well, he should never have played that day but there was huge presure on Hibs to get him fit. The best night I remember Durie was against Rangers in the League Cup 1st leg semi at Easter Road when him, Joe McBride and Steve Cowan tore Rangers to shreads (sorry Craig Paterson who's a good hibee)! We were all packed in the shed behind the goal (famous five end) because they were building the new (old) East terracing. That was the first time I saw there was going to be eight thick pillars holding the roof up!!!

First Team Regular weedgiehibbie's Avatar
    Hope Duke-Box recovers well and is back on the touchline for East Fife

My old man was taken into hospital on yesterday as well, cheast pain and a sped up/irregular heartbeat and spent the night in hospital - got released today after tests and things picked up with tablets so things are ok but its things like these that puts into perspective - got a little bit deep there i knough haha

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    One of my favourites growing up - one of the better fitba'ing nicknames! I was actually mascot for his Hibs debut - against Dundee at ER, 1984. Hibs won.

He was sat behind me on my flight up from London for the cup final in May

Found it a bit rude he didnae let on! Hope he's okay.

First Team Breakthrough TomoHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tamsen94
    get well soon

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    Remember it well, he should never have played that day but there was huge presure on Hibs to get him fit. The best night I remember Durie was against Rangers in the League Cup 1st leg semi at Easter Road when him, Joe McBride and Steve Cowan tore Rangers to shreads (sorry Craig Paterson who's a good hibee)! We were all packed in the shed behind the goal (famous five end) because they were building the new (old) East terracing. That was the first time I saw there was going to be eight thick pillars holding the roof up!!!
    Beg to differ, but 90% certain I watched this game from the Terracing......

Great player for us, and his partnership with Kerry Dixon at Chelsea was awesome. I'll forget the hun years. Get well mate!

Get well soon Jukebox , one of my favourites as a laddie.

Given my age I only assume him with that team that used to exist, Rangers or something !? But no, I immediately said "Holy shish kebab" upon opening this thread.

Hope the guys alright and recovers well.

Jukebox was an awesome signing for us. £65,000 well spent after he'd ripped our defence to bits at Bayview in a Cup replay. His partnership with Stevie Cowan was excellent and produced a fair few goals. Get well soon Gordon

As an aside, I see the East Fife Chairman is quoted. I met that gentleman when I arrived at New Bayview a few seasons ago to cover the game for Talk107. I arrived about Noon and there wasn't many folk about but as I stood in reception he introduced himself to me, treated me like a VIP guest and invited me to the after match party as his club had won promotion. Lovely guy and a nice wee club for which I now have a bit of a soft spot
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    A great player for Hibs and Scotland. Get well soon Jukebox.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I hope everything is ok with Gordon

Saw him getting interviewed prior to the the hun game recently and commented he looked a bit thin and peely waly.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Beg to differ, but 90% certain I watched this game from the Terracing......
    If you're on about the semi against Rangers then I know I watched it from the shed, with my Celtic supporting mate (who was a pro footy player) was creaming himself with how Hibs were cutting them apart. I always went to the East but I'm sure we were forced there due to the reconstruction. However, in the mists of time you may be right. But I do remember the Celtic 4 - 4 and pen shoot out watching that from the shed, I thought the Rangers game was the next match? It was a fantastic night anyway.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    If you're on about the semi against Rangers then I know I watched it from the shed, with my Celtic supporting mate (who was a pro footy player) was creaming himself with how Hibs were cutting them apart. I always went to the East but I'm sure we were forced there due to the reconstruction. However, in the mists of time you may be right. But I do remember the Celtic 4 - 4 and pen shoot out watching that from the shed, I thought the Rangers game was the next match? It was a fantastic night anyway.

IIRC, Alan Rough also saved a penalty with his feet in the 2-0 first leg win.