hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    29,883
    Blog Entries
    1

    Patience required

    I think Sunday showed exactly how quickly things can change in football from being awful the week before to being so much better with the addition of a couple of experienced players and the central defence being sorted.

    Just hope PF can continue to get his team in place which will put the club nearer to where we should be in the scheme of things. Have personally been impressed by the quality of the signings and others like Kuqi and a decent wide player would again help the team improve. Bottom line is there are now signs of improvement however we need a slow gradual improvement on a long term basis.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    First Team Breakthrough Persevere80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    40
    Posts
    253
    Has PF Served his touchline ban now, that would help a little.

  4. #3
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    D¨n ╔ideann, Alba
    Age
    48
    Posts
    10,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Persevere80 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has PF Served his touchline ban now, that would help a little.
    That was the last of two games, still two suspended though.

  5. #4
    Testimonial Due ahibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Posts
    4,361
    It should have been surprising that we could go from the inept performances at Tannadice and the cup final to that of Sunday. As you say we can now see a possible work in progress and PF has shown me that he can get the team to perform at a standard good enough for top six. I should have been surprised by the performance on Sunday following my remarks last week and previous performances, but strangely I wasn't.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Sunday showed exactly how quickly things can change in football from being awful the week before to being so much better with the addition of a couple of experienced players and the central defence being sorted.

    Just hope PF can continue to get his team in place which will put the club nearer to where we should be in the scheme of things. Have personally been impressed by the quality of the signings and others like Kuqi and a decent wide player would again help the team improve. Bottom line is there are now signs of improvement however we need a slow gradual improvement on a long term basis.
    Rod is that you?

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    29,883
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rod is that you?
    Good point.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Off the bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hackney no more
    Posts
    2,294
    the differance on the park is nearly as big as the differance in the chat on here! from the doom and gloom of this time last week to the optimism this week is what makes football and being a hibbie so great! If we can get 6 points from our next 2 games (and no reason why not) the chat will turn to can we make the group stages in next years champions league! I for one think we can!

  9. #8
    Testimonial due Baldy Foghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    47
    Posts
    18,011
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Sunday showed exactly how quickly things can change in football from being awful the week before to being so much better with the addition of a couple of experienced players and the central defence being sorted.

    Just hope PF can continue to get his team in place which will put the club nearer to where we should be in the scheme of things. Have personally been impressed by the quality of the signings and others like Kuqi and a decent wide player would again help the team improve. Bottom line is there are now signs of improvement however we need a slow gradual improvement on a long term basis.
    Good post Jim, we need to be patient with PF, but there are signs that he is stamping his mark on the squad.....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    15,590
    After last season i think we need to be showing signs of improvement sunday was much better and if we can keep that level of performance for the rest of the season then i think most people will see that as a sign were heading in the right direction

  11. #10
    Coaching Staff Wotherspiniesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,701
    Got to give him time.

    Pat is very honest about what needs to be done at Hibs. You could see that from the first couple of games he was in charge. Even after the mauling we took against St Johnstone when he was watching in the stand. He mentioned something along the lines of how it was a "typical Hibs performance in recent times". He said midway through the season that the club as a whole need to start standing up to people. He said after the cup final that things are rotten and need to change.

    Now that he's been allowed to bring in his own players, you can see the type of player/character he wants at Hibs. It was evident at one point during the game against Hearts on Sunday. A couple of seasons ago Templeton picked up the ball on the half way line and sauntered past non existant Hibs challenges to give Hearts the lead. On Sunday he tried the same and there was 4 players snarling around him, kicking his ankles to win the ball back. All 4 players were Pat Fenlon signings. Thats exactly the type of player we should be bringing to Easter Road and once the fans notice that commitment to the cause, they'll start coming back.

    There's still tinkering to be done. We need more guile and a link between midfield and attack. We need a bit of pace out wide and a target man for Griffiths to play with. If we can add that to this new found tenacity we showed on Sunday, who knows?

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    29,883
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got to give him time.

    Pat is very honest about what needs to be done at Hibs. You could see that from the first couple of games he was in charge. Even after the mauling we took against St Johnstone when he was watching in the stand. He mentioned something along the lines of how it was a "typical Hibs performance in recent times". He said midway through the season that the club as a whole need to start standing up to people. He said after the cup final that things are rotten and need to change.

    Now that he's been allowed to bring in his own players, you can see the type of player/character he wants at Hibs. It was evident at one point during the game against Hearts on Sunday. A couple of seasons ago Templeton picked up the ball on the half way line and sauntered past non existant Hibs challenges to give Hearts the lead. On Sunday he tried the same and there was 4 players snarling around him, kicking his ankles to win the ball back. All 4 players were Pat Fenlon signings. Thats exactly the type of player we should be bringing to Easter Road and once the fans notice that commitment to the cause, they'll start coming back.

    There's still tinkering to be done. We need more guile and a link between midfield and attack. We need a bit of pace out wide and a target man for Griffiths to play with. If we can add that to this new found tenacity we showed on Sunday, who knows?
    Great example and you are right this is the attitude we want at ER.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    14,146
    Eventually I would hope that the team plays with a lot more attacking flair and imagination than has been shown up until now. I'll be content with a few victories under the belt to start with though.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    59
    Posts
    8,165
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Sunday showed exactly how quickly things can change in football from being awful the week before to being so much better with the addition of a couple of experienced players and the central defence being sorted.

    Just hope PF can continue to get his team in place which will put the club nearer to where we should be in the scheme of things. Have personally been impressed by the quality of the signings and others like Kuqi and a decent wide player would again help the team improve. Bottom line is there are now signs of improvement however we need a slow gradual improvement on a long term basis.
    Really well said and a great sentiment. We've went a long way down in terms of what it takes to compete in Scottish football. There is no quick fix in our position - unless we get a huge slice of luck and the majority of PF's signings hit the ground running. I was struck by what Harry Rednap said last season when asked what the secret to being a good manager was and he replied being lucky in the transfer market as there is no guarantee every new player will work out. We may be lucky further if Caldwell, Handling or Stanton (swoon) can make some impact. I'm glad he's going for an older player like Shefki Kuqi as his type can teach the youngsters and the likes of Doyle a lot at this level, even if the level is ganting but especially because at this level you have to get stuck in and show some grit - which has been severely lacking all over the park.

  15. #14
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,981
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Persevere80 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has PF Served his touchline ban now, that would help a little.
    He's bk in dug out this weekend. Suspended 2 match ban mean what it says until end of season pending good behaviour. If he gets another touch line ban 2 games will concur.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)