hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Maybury

Alan Maybury

Had a good game today apart from the goal.

Think he showed why he will prove to be an astute signing. Calm, used the ball well, positioned himself correctly, looked fit and mobile.

Welcome to the Club Alan!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Think he showed why he will prove to be an astute signing. Calm, used the ball well, positioned himself correctly, looked fit and mobile.

Totally agree

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: StevenHibs
    Did alright, but a 34 year old experienced pro should be punting that ball out of the pitch, and not try to head it back to keeper. Shocker.

@hibs.net private member
    Did very well. But one big mistake

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Hibs View Post
    Did alright, but a 34 year old experienced pro should be punting that ball out of the pitch, and not try to head it back to keeper. Shocker.
    Disagree, an experienced defender should head a ball like that back at his keeper. He should however do it with confidence in his keepers ability to hold it. It was a question of trust and that will come in time.

Had a great game but needs a game or two more to settle in.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Did okay. Some quite disgusting abuse towards him from folk near me in the east. If he wears a Hibs Jersey then it's all supporters' duty to get behind him. Morons who choose to abuse our players from the start would be better not turning up.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Had a very good game, their goal aside. He's what we've been crying out for

Not really a fan of right sided players playing left back.

He's a solid (normally) reliable defender though so hopefully that'll be his first and last howler.

I thought he was very steady and if he continues to play like that(mistake aside obviously) will be a good signing.

The "mistake" wasn't all down to him, thought Williams was slow to come to collect the header. Both at fault in my opinion. Just glad to see they didn't let it affect the rest of their game.

Mistake aside he was excellent and maybe goal was just miscommunication due to lack of game time together. We all make mistakes and he handled it well and will be a good signing for us imho.

Quote Originally Posted by eric.hibsfan View Post
    The "mistake" wasn't all down to him, thought Williams was slow to come to collect the header. Both at fault in my opinion. Just glad to see they didn't let it affect the rest of their game.
    Disagree - Maybury tried to cushion the header when there was too large a gap between them. Needed to head it back more firmly and trust Williams to take it.

Other than that one error, he played well.

Thought he played well, was happy with his performance. His mix-up with Williams cost us a goal, but I don't think he put a foot wrong aside from that and he certainly didn't let it affect him. He seemed composed and confident for the most part and although I don't think he'll offer much in an attacking sense in terms of getting forward and overlapping, the defence looks more solid with his inclusion. Hope he keeps up the good work!

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Well done Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Disagree - Maybury tried to cushion the header when there was too large a gap between them. Needed to head it back more firmly and trust Williams to take it.

Other than that one error, he played well.

Disagree all ye want mate, it's all about opinions and mine is that they were equally at fault.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    Thought he played well, was happy with his performance. His mix-up with Williams cost us a goal, but I don't think he put a foot wrong aside from that and he certainly didn't let it affect him. He seemed composed and confident for the most part and although I don't think he'll offer much in an attacking sense in terms of getting forward and overlapping, the defence looks more solid with his inclusion. Hope he keeps up the good work!
    He never put a foot wrong all game

ggtth

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevesyb
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post

I thought he looked very assured to be honest. You can tell the man is a decent footballer. His presence allowed Hanlon to move back in the middle with McPake and I honestly thought we looked a lot more solid than last weekend.

However, the mistake was dreadful. From Section 43 in the East I could see it was a crazy decision!

But I am proud again today. The players showed much more passion and desire than in May and last week.

Disagree all ye want mate, it's all about opinions and mine is that they were equally at fault.
    Very much a minority opinion, I'd say.

It's irrelevant whether Williams was slow to some out or not, it's up to Maybury to find him with the ball and err on the side of safety by heading it too strongly for a corner rather than too gently with someone breathing down his neck.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    He never put a foot wrong all game

ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Very much a minority opinion, I'd say.

It's irrelevant whether Williams was slow to some out or not, it's up to Maybury to find him with the ball and err on the side of safety by heading it too strongly for a corner rather than too gently with someone breathing down his neck.
    Lot of truth in what you are saying, from my seat in ff saw Williams start to come, Maybury looked at the keeper then went to head ball, however Williams stalled his run out for some reason and by this time Maybury was in process of heading the ball to where he thought Williams should have been had he continued advancing from his line. Mute point, suppose we will just have to agree to disagree.

I seem to remember there were another couple of uncertain passbacks. They need to get that sorted although I suppose the defence will develop more understanding as time goes on.

Their goal aside, I liked what I saw today and would like to think that's our back 4 sorted.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Once that defence and goalie combination gels, it'll be one of the best in the SPL. Very happy with it indeed.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    The "mistake" wasn't all down to him, thought Williams was slow to come to collect the header. Both at fault in my opinion.
    No danger. It was the right decision to head it back but the application was terrible from Maybury. Still though, all round he had a good game, and I'd fully expect he's fairly dissapointed in himself for it now.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Solid pro, one big mistake and he recovered from it well. Will be excellent in bringing the young players on with his experience, I am, and was always, glad to have him in the green of our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Did okay. Some quite disgusting abuse towards him from folk near me in the east. If he wears a Hibs Jersey then it's all supporters' duty to get behind him. Morons who choose to abuse our players from the start would be better not turning up.
    Couple of guys behind me were giving him a bit, but they soon buttoned it, after I pointed out he was now a Hibernian player......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Watched the goal again and I'm sure he didn't think Driver was as close, agree either strong header or blooter it away, I think he wanted Williams to give him a shout.

Apologised for his error on Twitter.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Hibs View Post
    From what I saw it was a very awkward ball - just hanging in the air and very hard to get any power on - neither Maybury nor the keeper covered themselves in glory but it was more just lucky Yam Fuds than anything else (nae change there then).

Overall I think Maybury had a great game - looked assured and had Driver in his pocket for the vast majority of the match.