hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875

200m men's Olympics

Just watching the men's 200 semis which johan Blake one in 20.01 secs, now I'm getting so frustrated watch these athletes stroll through there heats 'conserving energy' . This paticular events world record set at 19secs by michael Johnson 13years ago anyone watching that race could see that in Blake went all out there he definitely would have troubled that world record....why not just go for it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watching the men's 200 semis which johan Blake one in 20.01 secs, now I'm getting so frustrated watch these athletes stroll through there heats 'conserving energy' . This paticular events world record set at 19secs by michael Johnson 13years ago anyone watching that race could see that in Blake went all out there he definitely would have troubled that world record....why not just go for it?
    The Olympics aren't about records, primarily. They're about winning.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The Olympics aren't about records, primarily. They're about winning.
    Pretty sure if u break world records you'll win the event as well

Pretty sure if u break world records you'll win the event as well
    What would be the point in breaking the WR in the semi if that meant he couldn't compete as well in the final?

Bolt just said it "it's all about getting through".

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

What would be the point in breaking the WR in the semi if that meant he couldn't compete as well in the final?

Bolt just said it "it's all about getting through".
    Blake was close to a stop by the time he got to the line no way would he have risked injury pushing himself a little more, probably more risk with slowly as quickly as he did

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Bolt holds the world record now. Im sure he.beat it at the last olympics.

I see your point though and it makes it more interesting now that other athletes have been disqualified for similar.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    Bolt holds the world record now. Im sure he.beat it at the last olympics.

I see your point though and it makes it more interesting now that other athletes have been disqualified for similar.
    I thought the same thing when the girls were kicked out of the badminton. They had already qualified which meant they were playing a nothing match....but were booted when they didn't try. I know they were trying to fix the draw by losing but why make them play a nothing game. It's difficult. It seems like only certain athletes need to try ALL the time.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    I thought the same thing when the girls were kicked out of the badminton. They had already qualified which meant they were playing a nothing match....but were booted when they didn't try. I know they were trying to fix the draw by losing but why make them play a nothing game. It's difficult. It seems like only certain athletes need to try ALL the time.
    Good point Max, never thought of it that way before?

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    It's a different situation, IMO.

In the badminton, the non-trying had a definite impact on the competition. Blake not running full-out had no impact. He won the race, qualified for the final, that's it.

There is money to be made in breaking world records at other athletic meetings throughout the world not at the Olympics, which is all about winning the big G.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Did bolt not get the olympic record at the china olympics? Thought he was getting very tight in the last 50m last night but shows how good an athlete he is that he managed to maintain his form right until the end, ive trained with some of the best sprinters in the country but nothing would compare to training with this guy, will be a legend when he stops running

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    It's a different situation, IMO.

In the badminton, the non-trying had a definite impact on the competition. Blake not running full-out had no impact. He won the race, qualified for the final, that's it.
    You're absolutely spot on, that's what makes it tricky. When you boil it down though, it equates to the same thing - certain athletes do not have to try all the time. Others do. I'm not disagreeing with you. I've thought about this a bit. I don't know all the ins and outs but it's quite simple to avoid this - just make the draw blind so nobody can even try to manipulate it. I don't blame the Chinese team one bit for trying to make sure they had both their badminton teams in the final battling for gold AND silver.