hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

As horrible as it is to say...

I've tried to be a fan of Stevenson I really have. I remember the over-hype of 2007 (jonothan bailie got the same) and I persevered with some peoples ideologies of a 'rejuvination' under PF but time has come to finally say the truth..

He is nowhere near good enough for a hibs CM player. No where near & will never get close. For some people/ PF to think that he is is trully shocking IMO. He is, as he always has been, a squad player that as a fan you always wished it wasnt his turn to come on.

If PF is to believed about his new philosophy why is stevenson playing? How many times does he need to be found out?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've tried to be a fan of Stevenson I really have. I remember the over-hype of 2007 (jonothan bailie got the same) and I persevered with some peoples ideologies of a 'rejuvination' under PF but time has come to finally say the truth..

He is nowhere near good enough for a hibs CM player. No where near & will never get close. For some people/ PF to think that he is is trully shocking IMO. He is, as he always has been, a squad player that as a fan you always wished it wasnt his turn to come on.

If PF is to believed about his new philosophy why is stevenson playing? How many times does he need to be found out?
    Seem to remember .netters saying almost the same about Rankin. He did ok yesterday didn't he?

Stevenson is average. Always has been, always will be. We need better. And please lets stop considering him as a 'youngster' as he is far from it now.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    100% agree re Stevenson, Wotherspoon is another, both showed promise when they came into the 1st team reckoning a fair few seasons ago and neither have live up to it, especially Lewis! They have been given enough time and chances and have continually poved to be 'not good enough', a couple of months ago there was talk of Crystal Palace(or was it Charlton?) offering us £ for Wotherspoon and there were people on this site not wanting him to go!!!!!
    Stephens is one who has shown virtually no promise at all and Sproule is obviously not good enough anymore (should not have come back), a one trick pony who's trick is not very good anymore, how many one on ones can one player lose??
    These 4 players I've mentioned have to be replaced, SHOULD have been replaced. We knew this from last season and that horrible day at Hampden yet here we are again started the season with 4 of the weakest members of that very week team from last season. Very disheartening and scratting around the bargain bin for players at the last minute.

stevenson would probably be better leaving hibs for his own sake, maybe he would prosper at different club, albeit at a lower level.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twa Cairpets View Post
    Seem to remember .netters saying almost the same about Rankin. He did ok yesterday didn't he?
    Rankin was pish for Hibs and still don't rate him ... However he got in our team ahead of Lewis and. Now Lewis is viewed as our top dog

Scarey scarey very scarey how poor our midfield has become.

Likewise Sproule .... He was hardly ever a starter first time round and now he is even worse he plays as first pick

So effin scarey

Left by mutual consent!
    Didn't realise he was playing until 42mins in yesterday..

Says it all

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    You've an imagined version of the past if you remember Rankin being a good player for us. Whether he was not interested at Hibs or not used correctly by the manager, he performed poorly, consistently.

So, he's done not bad with Dundee Utd, so what? Doesn't mean we should have persisted with him and his crappy performances.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    The same point could very well be made about Paul Hartley but he was never going become the player he ended up being, in a Hibs jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    You've an imagined version of the past if you remember Rankin being a good player for us. Whether he was not interested at Hibs or not used correctly by the manager, he performed poorly, consistently.

So, he's done not bad with Dundee Utd, so what? Doesn't mean we should have persisted with him and his crappy performances.
    I felt he was given a hard time in certain quarters......I tell you what though, I would take Rankin back in a heartbeat right now.....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    I felt he was given a hard time in certain quarters......I tell you what though, I would take Rankin back in a heartbeat right now.....
    I'd love to have Rankin back based on the way he's played for Utd. But he'd be nae good to us if he came back and picked up where he left off.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmhibby View Post
    no thanks
    Because our current midfield is performing so well, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I'd love to have Rankin back based on the way he's played for Utd. But he'd be nae good to us if he came back and picked up where he left off.
    Rankin has not suddenly became decent overnight, why has it taken him to go to Utd to find his form, is there something fundementally wrong at ER that players seem to underperform?

First Team Breakthrough goosefat's Avatar

Maybe the only way to judge the quality of any Hibs player is when they're not actually playing for Hibs.

I realise that sentence doesn't quite make grammatical sense but there does seem to be something about the green jersey that, over the last few seasons, drains any kind of skill and ability right out of whoever is wearing it.

It's a but of a vicious circle really... DW and LS are showing good loyalty to this club and are definitely among the few triers we have. But they are not developing at hibs anymore and they would both do well to get away from hibs as they have hit the same brick wall fletcher et al hit whereby hibs don't have the ability to develop them.

Sadly it's maybe time to let them go with grace and develop.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SWYD1875
    Guarantee as soon as we let Stevenson go he'll turn into a good player and may just come back to bite us, has happened with quite a few players whom we Hibs fans have deemed "surplus requirements".

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE1875 View Post
    Guarantee as soon as we let Stevenson go he'll turn into a good player and may just come back to bite us, has happened with quite a few players whom we Hibs fans have deemed "surplus requirements".
    I bet he won't...

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Rankin performed as well as he did yesterday because he was allowed to waltz straight through our midfield without anyone tracking him numerous times. I could've put in a good performance up against our crap in midfield.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    Rankin performed as well as he did yesterday because he was allowed to waltz straight through our midfield without anyone tracking him numerous times. I could've put in a good performance up against our crap in midfield.
    Although i'd take Rankin over what we currently have. We have replaced him with someone who was a sub at best when Rankin was at Hibs, how is that strengthening?

Quote Originally Posted by Eganov View Post
    It's a but of a vicious circle really... DW and LS are showing good loyalty to this club and are definitely among the few triers we have. But they are not developing at hibs anymore and they would both do well to get away from hibs as they have hit the same brick wall fletcher et al hit whereby hibs don't have the ability to develop them.

Sadly it's maybe time to let them go with grace and develop.
    I show good loyalty to Hibs by continuing to fork out money to watch rubbish. I'd also try my erse off if I got the chance to play.

Sadly loyalty and trying wouldn't make me good enough for Hibs or any other SPL club for that matter. The same is true of Wotherspoon and Stevenson.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Although i'd take Rankin over what we currently have. We have replaced him with someone who was a sub at best when Rankin was at Hibs, how is that strengthening?
    We've got rid of some dross from last season but, remarkably, players that could not get a game last season have now taken some of those places! Unbelievable.

stevenson was one of our better players last season....just shows how big a rebuilding job is required!!

however if he had more experienced players around him he would be ok. We got rid of ozzy and put in cairnie its a new unfimiliar feel to the midfield....I think the whole team set up looked wrong...midfield looks worse than last year.....end i dont rate stephens at the back....bit if a bomb scare!

Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    I bet he won't...
    Id like to bet he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    We've got rid of some dross from last season but, remarkably, players that could not get a game last season have now taken some of those places! Unbelievable.
    This happens every season, we make a couple of what the fans would say are good signings, but other parts of the team are weakened at the same time by bringing in players who would never have made the team before starting every week?

Papering over the cracks again as usual. Gary Deegan better be a cross between Messi and Iniesta or we are in a real mess, and another relegation fight? 10th 11th in consecutive seasons, who would bet against 12th?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Id like to bet he will.
    We are talking about turning into a good "Football" player eh..

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This happens every season, we make a couple of what the fans would say are good signings, but other parts of the team are weakened at the same time by bringing in players who would never have made the team before starting every week?

Papering over the cracks again as usual. Gary Deegan better be a cross between Messi and Iniesta or we are in a real mess, and another relegation fight? 10th 11th in consecutive seasons, who would bet against 12th?
    The problem is though we had about 20 players who weren't good enough, we've got rid of 16 or so and are now very, very short to the extent that 4 or 5 players who couldn't get a games last year are now having to play.

I think we'll bring in some more players but it's going to take some time to shift those that are under contract and get better in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    The problem is though we had about 20 players who weren't good enough, we've got rid of 16 or so and are now very, very short to the extent that 4 or 5 players who couldn't get a games last year are now having to play.

I think we'll bring in some more players but it's going to take some time to shift those that are under contract and get better in.
    We had a team that finished 4th, that team needed 3 players to kick on. You thought that was a decent side, so did i. What happened Andy? We sold Stokes and Bamba, and brought in Dickoh and Duffy, Trakyss came in too. Can you see a pattern, Rankin goes Stevenson replaces him, it happens every season recently, not only players like the first two i mentioned, but even average ones replaced with players who were subs.

This vision Farmer/Petrie have is not working, mainly because they couldn't pick a jump in a barrel of phannys. The new manager talks a good talk, but when it comes down to tactics and team selection he's not in my opinion getting it right. You will tell me he needs time, and i'd agree but he's not making the best use of what he has now, and thats not a great sign at all.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    Rankin was awarded United's player of the season last year.