hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Midfield General?

Am I the only one who has noticed that all other teams have been running through us in the middle of the park for years. Our terrible results have been blamed on our defence and goalkeepers, and although even Walter Mitty could not get away with describing our defence/goalies as anything other than pish, it is our midfield that needs some steel. A midfield general, and able lieutenant are still required IMO. These two new signings are a must. A fit pacy attacking winger would be great also if Santa is listening. But midfield steel is a must.

Thoughts???

2. Log in to remove the advert

Looking like another season of watching average SPL midfields waltzing through Stevenson, Claros and Sproule like their not there.

Although Ozzy didn't man up and be the midfield beast we had all hoped he will still be missed next season unless Fenlon is able to bring another similar player in. There's no muscle in there and we're still seriously lacking in quality too!! It's an absolute mystery why the men in charge haven't noticed this and added a bit of much needed steal!! Do these players demand too much for our poor wages?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by VPHIBEE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I the only one who has noticed that all other teams have been running through us in the middle of the park for years. Our terrible results have been blamed on our defence and goalkeepers, and although even Walter Mitty could not get away with describing our defence/goalies as anything other than pish, it is our midfield that needs some steel. A midfield general, and able lieutenant are still required IMO. These two new signings are a must. A fit pacy attacking winger would be great also if Santa is listening. But midfield steel is a must.

Thoughts???
    I take it you haven't read all the other threads !!!

Everybody on here crying out for a new midfield !!

Play Stephens next to Claros if worst case scenario and we're not signing anyone for that position. Make up for it by having someone 100% attacking minded ahead of them behind Caldwell or Doyle, such as Wotherspoon (or ideally Shiels), with Griffiths on the right, and a new left sider, but their main attribute as pace.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by West Upper Pie View Post
    Play Stephens next to Claros if worst case scenario and we're not signing anyone for that position. Make up for it by having someone 100% attacking minded ahead of them behind Caldwell or Doyle, such as Wotherspoon (or ideally Shiels), with Griffiths on the right, and a new left sider, but their main attribute as pace.
    Play Stephens in centre mid.....that's classic. I'd rather Fenlon played there himself!

Quote Originally Posted by West Upper Pie View Post
    Might work.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Play Stephens in centre mid.....that's classic. I'd rather Fenlon played there himself!
    LOL

I am really trying to "look forward" to the new season, but it's actually not easy !

We are really honking and unless a decent midfielder comes in, or even a good wide man (to at least look threatining with the damn baw), then we are gonna be seriously bad next season and continue to be out played.
    Claros is gone in January; so he's going to need someone if not now, then in the next window.

Plenty players come available in August, so still expect 1-2 more additions (excluding Maybury).

@hibs.net private member
    Stephens is a poor CH, with little football skill so it's very unlikely that he will have the football brain to concentrate and hold his position in the holding CM role. Ideally we need to sign a couple of midfielders but with money tight we might not be able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    could we push hanlon into midfld seemed to push forward a cple of times last season and play ohanlon and mcpake at the back with booth at the left side of midfield?

The least we can expect is a replacement for Ozzy - surely we have something lined up

Regarding the midfield while Stevenson / Claros will get my full support - I also believe they are good passers of the ball - they do need help in there.

It's been said on here for a while we rarely dominate teams (especially at home) and we need someone who has the ability to run the game and control the tempo of a game. Ok a Latapy/Zemamma type player may be too much to ask but there are players out there in other leagues who have the ability to do this.

Regarding wide players - can't remember the last decent dribbler we had out wide who beats his man and looks dangerous every so often. Sproule while is a good squad player is too hot and cold.

Bottom line is the midfield was woeful last season and it showed in the cup final - if we don't sort it soon big questions will be asked to why not.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Stephens is a poor CH, with little football skill so it's very unlikely that he will have the football brain to concentrate and hold his position in the holding CM role. Ideally we need to sign a couple of midfielders but with money tight we might not be able to do so.
    I'd play Maybury in a DM role with Stevenson, with the 4 attacking options in front of those two (they are all the same calibre) untill we find players willing to play for Hibs and be jeered everytime they touch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Exactly my point.

But with Stephens unquestionable size and "presence", he might actually add something as part of a 3 in the middle, assuming the other 2 are decent with the ball, and if Claros is as good as he was originally hyped, it could work.

-------Williams

Clancy--McPake--Hanlon--Booth
    ---------------------------------
    --------Claros-Stephens--------
    ---------------------------------
    Griffiths------------------NEW LW
    -----Shiels/Wotherspoon
    ----------Caldwell

Apparently Wotherspoon has been at his best for the U21s in that role, and Caldwell seems like the sort of player that could lead the line.
    Last edited by Cocaine&Caviar; 25-07-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Midfield in general ?

.. going by last season, too wee & don't score enough goals.

Could stanton and handling be used this season or should we bring in some experienced professional?

Sammy Stanton will get plenty of game time this season from what ive heard.
    He needs some help though. As the Spanish say...

Desempenar el quijotesco papel de Matty Jack.

First Team Breakthrough sparkiedelpaco7's Avatar
    Williams

Maybury(or Other RB) -- McPake -- Clancy -- Hanlon(or Other LB)

Sproule(or Other RM) -- Cairney -- Deano(or Other LM)

Wotherspoon

Doyle -- Griffiths

First Team Breakthrough SmokieJoe's Avatar
    Have i missed something lately? Everyone keeps on about a new left midfielder, Pa Kujabi is the man and i'm sure he will track back, be able to run with the ball at his feet and cross a decnt ball into the box.

joe_hfc
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokieJoe View Post
    Have i missed something lately? Everyone keeps on about a new left midfielder, Pa Kujabi is the man and i'm sure he will track back, be able to run with the ball at his feet and cross a decnt ball into the box.
    I think that too. He's very attacking minded, good link up play, likes to hug the sideline, and has a decent left foot, fast, bit of skill.

His weakness is being a bit of a bombscare in defence. Put him at LM and its a viable option?

I reckon so

Gamer IDs

If you think Pa Kujabi is the answer to our left mid problem then, aye, you've missed something. 'Something' probably being all Hibs games since January.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkiedelpaco7 View Post
    Williams

Maybury(or Other RB) -- McPake -- Clancy -- Hanlon(or Other LB)

Sproule(or Other RM) -- Cairney -- Deano(or Other LM)

Wotherspoon

Doyle -- Griffiths
    Whos going to put a tackle in?

Shouldnt ever wear the Green again.

I actually agree with the playing Stephens as DM, or the much touted 'matty jack role'

Some people on here questioning the laddies ability, when Jack was never a fitba player. Stephens is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and doesn't smoke either (to the best of my knowledge)

I'd have him sitting in the front of the back 4 along with Claros. Long ball forward into midfield...Bang, he's gonna win it in the air. Loose ball in midfield, he's prob gonna win it. Essentially all he needs to do is win his headers/tackles and play a 5/10yrd pass, which he's more than capable of doing. Plus, having seen it when Bamba was played in there...your average SPL midfielder has a tendancy to disappear after being volleyed right in the air by someone much bigger than them a coupla times. Would take so much pressure of our defence and let us play further up the park.

FWIW, still think we need someone in the Pat McGinlay mould. Believe Cairney will get some goals but looks like he's more of a wide player drifting in.

Kujabi - while he had a shocker in the final and his free kicks have been interesting to say the least - I do believe the guy can offer something to the team.

He had several solid games when he first stated playing and thought he was decent in the semi against Aberdeen.

I think he's shown more in a few months than Galbraith who seems to have been here for years.

He's an honest guy who gives everything so although may not be our top player gets too much stick on here

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoHibby View Post
    I actually agree with the playing Stephens as DM, or the much touted 'matty jack role'

Some people on here questioning the laddies ability, when Jack was never a fitba player. Stephens is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and doesn't smoke either (to the best of my knowledge)

I'd have him sitting in the front of the back 4 along with Claros. Long ball forward into midfield...Bang, he's gonna win it in the air. Loose ball in midfield, he's prob gonna win it. Essentially all he needs to do is win his headers/tackles and play a 5/10yrd pass, which he's more than capable of doing. Plus, having seen it when Bamba was played in there...your average SPL midfielder has a tendancy to disappear after being volleyed right in the air by someone much bigger than them a coupla times. Would take so much pressure of our defence and let us play further up the park.

FWIW, still think we need someone in the Pat McGinlay mould. Believe Cairney will get some goals but looks like he's more of a wide player drifting in.
    Great point.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoHibby View Post

Sorry Rosco, but almost your whole post is nonsence. The last sentance aside, it's all crap.

Stephens has played at the back, plenty long balls played at him....does he win them all? Nope. When he's played at the back and there's a loose ball....does he win them? No, he dives in, probably with his eyes closed judging by the end result most of the time. Likening him to Bamba playing in the middle is ludicrous, Sol is a very comfortable footballer on the ball, almost to the point where he looks more like a midfielder than a defender sometimes. Who has played for his national team (a good team at that), then went from us to Leicester and then Trabzonspor. David Stephens is a defender who looks one of the least composed footballers I've ever seen. He is to football what Vinnie Jones is to acting, it just doesnt look right, it's brash, it's clunky and you sit back wondering "how did he ever get to where he is?".

Matty Jack was also a much much better player.

@hibs.net private member
    Kevin Thomson on loan from Middlesboro?

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Do we have any realistic names that we would want to get in this role?

Well I obviously disagree with you easty.

This is the SPL we're talking about here. And lot of teams are likely to go with younger players or those not of as 'high a standard' as previously. I think a big brute in there would be useful. Especially as our midfield was completely non-existant at times.

The lad Stephens has his limitations, but case you hadn't noticed, we're ****ing skint and a raft of signings doesn't look likely. Horses for courses mate. I for one definitely think its worth a try.

Your point about Bamba being a better player is a ridiculous one. Stevie wonder could see that bamba is a better player. But when played at DM, thats what he was there for, win his headers, tackles, pop the ball off 5yds to a full back and scare the b'jesus out the opposition, and it worked. In fact when he did do anything else, go on a 'mazy' run, the whole stadium would hold its breath...

And kid yourself on, Jack was in there with John O'Neil, latapy and Sauzee FFS, he was brutal. Thats aw he done, munched someone and played a simple 5yd pass. But we need someone to do that.

That's Maybury played in pretty much every pre season game so far, surely there's a deal to be done there? I see he's played the holding midfielder role too... Surely won't be playing such a big role in the run up to the start of the season if he isn't to be offered a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hibee View Post
    Kujabi - while he had a shocker in the final and his free kicks have been interesting to say the least - I do believe the guy can offer something to the team.

He had several solid games when he first stated playing and thought he was decent in the semi against Aberdeen.

I think he's shown more in a few months than Galbraith who seems to have been here for years.

He's an honest guy who gives everything so although may not be our top player gets too much stick on here
    Agree completly, Kujabi is , it appears, being made the MAIN skapegoat for that final. Okay , have to agree he had a shocker - but then again, apart from McPake, so did every other Hibs player and they haven't recieved nowhere near as much stick. Seems everyone has forgotten the pin-point ball into O'Connor in semi-final for his goal. Kujabi is a good left - sided wing back, good pace, can tackle, cross a good ball, agree however he is suspect at left back. Lighten up guys, he has a lot to offer.