hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Our Transfer Dealings So Far

I was having a look at 007 Mickey Weir's excellent update thread HERE and I reckon our activity looks ok. Clearly we could do with a wee bit more but the signings we've made should all be first 11 picks. Considering the fringe players that have been offloaded that's a pretty good bit of business so far.

Here's what we've done so far...........

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

1. Tim Clancy - defender (Motherwell)
    2. James McPake - defender (Coventry City)
    3. Paul Cairney - midfielder (Partick Thistle)
    4. Ben Williams - goalkeeper (Colchester United)
    5. Leigh Griffiths - forward (Wolves, loan)

Players OUT
    1. Graham Stack
    2. Matt Doherty (end of Loan)
    3. Richie Towell (end of LOAN)
    4 James McPake (End of Loan)
    5. Francombe (end of LOAN)
    6. Ian Murray
    7. Sean Welsh (Partick T)
    8. Tom Soares (End of loan)
    9. Garry O'Connor
    10. Lee Griffiths (end of LOAN)
    11. Roy O'Donovan (end of LOAN)
    12. Martin Scott (LOAN to Ross County)
    13. Isaiah Osbourne (Blackpool)

Given that McPake and Griffiths have been re-signed I don't think there's anyone in that list that we'll miss.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Add Mark Brown to the OUT list

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was having a look at 007 Mickey Weir's excellent update thread HERE and I reckon our activity looks ok. Clearly we could do with a wee bit more but the signings we've made should all be first 11 picks. Considering the fringe players that have been offloaded that's a pretty good bit of business so far.

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

Players OUT
    1. Graham Stack
    6. Ian Murray
    9. Garry O'Connor

Given that McPake and Griffiths have been re-signed I don't think there's anyone in that list that we'll miss.
    I would have liked Ozzy to stay but hey ho.. We must add more players IMHO or it will be another dull struggle this season.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

Players OUT
    1. Graham Stack
    6. Ian Murray
    9. Garry O'Connor

I really dont want to turn this into a negative thread, but our midfield is very poor. And with only Griffiths and Doyle up front, we look like to me, the kids are going to have to grow up very quickly.

Williams
    Clancy
    McPake
    Stephens
    Hanlon
    Sproule
    Claros
    Stephenson
    Cairney
    Doyle
    Griffiths

Thats the team i'd expect Fenlon to pick from whats available at the moment, aided by the rest. I feel we are still short of a centre half and 2 midfielders and a forward. If we dont get that, then i believe we will again struggle this season.

Cup Final Starting Team Vs Current Team

Brown Williams

Doherty Clancy
    Hanlon Hanlon
    McPaken McPake
    Kunjabi Booth / Maybury / Kunjabi

Claros Claros
    Soares Cairney
    Osbourne Handling / Sproule
    Stevenson Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths
    O'Connor Doyle / Stanton

What team would win if they played each other ?

I still think we are 3 or 4 players away from where we should be Especially after letting Ozzy go.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 23-07-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I really dont want to turn this into a negative thread, but our midfield is very poor ... feel we are still short of a centre half and 2 midfielders. If we dont get that, then i believe we will again struggle this season.

Totally agree BH.

I really dont want to turn this into a negative thread, but our midfield is very poor.
    I think that's what I meant by "Clearly we could do with a wee bit more......"

@hibs.net private member
    If we get a big powerful central midfielder, a similar size strker and a winger I'll be happy to go with what we have.

Think Stanton Handling Caldwell and Smith should be integrated and used frequently but not have all the responsibility put on them

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

Players OUT
    1. Graham Stack
    6. Ian Murray
    9. Garry O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Add Mark Brown to the OUT list
    I would have been happy enough if Brown had stayed on as our #2, but if Pat's happy with young Calum Antell then that frees up some cash for someone else.

I don't think he's quite finished - I wouldn't be surprised to see Alan Maybury agreeing some kind of deal, and maybe another attacking player? Or even 2?

Though I think that will depend on whatever TV deal the SPL finally ends up with, and the ST sales at the start of the season.

I think you are right.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I really dont want to turn this into a negative thread, but our midfield is very poor. And with only Griffiths and Doyle up front, we look like to me, the kids are going to have to grow up very quickly.

Williams
    Clancy
    McPake
    Stephens
    Hanlon
    Sproule
    Claros
    Stephenson
    Cairney
    Doyle
    Griffiths

Thats the team i'd expect Fenlon to pick from whats available at the moment, aided by the rest. I feel we are still short of a centre half and 2 midfielders. If we dont get that, then i believe we will again struggle this season.
    Unless we've some gems coming through the ranks we're in for a pish poor season. Our two 'best' signings look like being players that were effectively here anyway (McPake and Griffiths), and we've lost arguably our better players (GO'C, Ozzy, Soares, Doherty, Francomb).

I don't see anything at the club at the moment to fill me with optimism that it's going to be a better season, to be honest.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    I'd be more concerned if other teams were signing quality players but no real movement yet. Compared to others we have been very active on the signing front. Perhaps weaker opposition won't make us look as bad as we think.

SPL standards have dropped in light of recent events. In light of that I believe our team are top 6 quality just now. Another 2 maybe 3 could see us field a strong top 6 team. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    I'd be more concerned if other teams were signing quality players but no real movement yet. Compared to others we have been very active on the signing front. Perhaps weaker opposition won't make us look as bad as we think.

SPL standards have dropped in light of recent events. In light of that I believe our team are top 6 quality just now. Another 2 maybe 3 could see us field a strong top 6 team. IMO
    Cant see that myself, still need a better team for that to happen in my opinion.

The yams I think must be favourites for 2nd - ok Black and Skacel (possibly) have left - they still have a strong back 4 and decent midfielders(wide players). Add to that Sutton is back up front and surely they will challenge Celtic more than anyone ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hibee View Post

Brown Williams

Doherty Clancy
    Hanlon Hanlon
    McPaken McPake

Claros Claros
    Soares Cairney
    Stevenson Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths

O'Connor Doyle / Stanton

I still think we are 3 or 4 players away from where we should be Especially after letting Ozzy go.
    Barring O.G's that game would have 0-0 all over it

Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
    Barring O.G's that game would have 0-0 all over it

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Unless we've some gems coming through the ranks we're in for a pish poor season. Our two 'best' signings look like being players that were effectively here anyway (McPake and Griffiths), and we've lost arguably our better players (GO'C, Ozzy, Soares, Doherty, Francomb).

I don't see anything at the club at the moment to fill me with optimism that it's going to be a better season, to be honest.

Francomb and Doherty were never going to stay beyond May, matty.

Osbourne ? I could well be wrong, but if his fee allows Pat to bring bacl LG and maybe sign someone else, I'm happy with that deal.

Soares and Doherty IMO thought they were too good for us and really didn't bother their backsides too far.

O'Connor fit and focussed would be a more than useful player to have on the books, but there were far too many distractions, and I really would rather not have a notorious coke-head around the place. NOT the best influence or example to the younger players.

But I agree with you - this could be a long hard season.

@hibs.net private member
    I think one good experienced midfielder would make a massive difference throughout the team not just the midfield. in recent seasons we have looked very unorganised in midfield which creates pressure on defence as we keep losing the ball and obviously we didnt get enough into the forwards. A quality midfielder would make all the difference IMO, unfortunately I think to get a player of the level I think we need would cost too much for what hibs are willing to pay out.

You've got to remember that we're starting from a much lower base than most other teams. We are effectively the worst team that's left in the SPL from last season and I don't see that we'll be making up that much ground on the likes of Motherwell, Dundee Utd, Hearts or even St Johnstone.

I would be ecstatic if this current side finishes in the top six this coming season but if I'm being realistic, I think a 7th or 8th place finish should be more achievable.

I think we're at least another 5 players short of where we really need to be if we want to be challenging up at the top end of the league.

Happy enough with the quality but we are miles away from being good enough. The addition of Williams, cairney and Clancy to a group of players who I would describe as our worst team for 15 years is not going to turn things around.
    We need about 4 more signings who will be automatic starters who will relegate the likes of Claros, Stevenson and sproule to back ups.
    Our midfield is still very weak and offers zero creativity going forward.

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hibee View Post

Brown Williams

Doherty Clancy
    Hanlon Hanlon
    McPaken McPake

Claros Claros
    Soares Cairney
    Stevenson Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths
    O'Connor Doyle / Stanton

we need 5 more signings both teams written down are gash. its not till u write it down can u see that as a squad we r just as bad as last year. 11 days to save the 2012/13 season imo! We need the players signed b4 united game to bed them in and give them a week to get ready for the derby hail hail

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs

We have been more active than most, but going by how our season went, we also arguably needed the most work. It does work in our favour that other teams have lost players and cant seem to replace them, but we still dont look anything more than a bog standard bottom six team.

Im very happy with who we have signed so far, and we have gone about things the right way by building from the back. But we still look thread bare in terms of quality in both midfield and upfront (but theres not much we can do if theres no money).

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Happy enough with the quality but we are miles away from being good enough. The addition of Williams, cairney and Clancy to a group of players who I would describe as our worst team for 15 years is not going to turn things around.
    We need about 4 more signings who will be automatic starters who will relegate the likes of Claros, Stevenson and sproule to back ups.
    Our midfield is still very weak and offers zero creativity going forward.
    Agree totally Ozyhibby. Unfortunately I'm just not convinced that the funds are there to spend. We do desperately need a decent midfielder or 3 of some description. Of the ones that left, I would probably have kept Francomb, but that's by the by.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Is it taken this long to work out that our squad is garbage?
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Williams
    Clancy
    McPake
    Stephens
    Hanlon
    Sproule
    Claros
    Stephenson
    Cairney
    Doyle
    Griffiths

Thats the team i'd expect Fenlon to pick from whats available at the moment, aided by the rest. I feel we are still short of a centre half and 2 midfielders and a forward. If we dont get that, then i believe we will again struggle this season.
    And with injuries and suspensions that may get picked up through the season, we still need at least another 3 players in.

Happy with quality so far given financial backdrop and I think all 5 players are very much starting 11 players.

However we are 3-4 players away to have a real chance of top 6 and basically to compete with Hearts, United, St Johnstone and Motherwell.

In priority:-

Central midfielder
    Striker
    Winger
    Centre half

First two are vital. With 4+ youngsters set to feature they we would be in better shape.

Testimonial Due
    I think we now look like a strong team at the back, but the problem looks like our midfield, all very small and very weak regardless of how committed they may or may not be. I think we need a decent passing CM player that can chip in with a few goals and perhaps take a free kick - i dont recall scoring many goals at all from set pieces last season, far less then we every did when we had someone like Riordan in the team.

Over and above a CM player, we need a big CF that is decent in the air, with that I think Griffiths will be a lot more dangerous and contribute a lot more goals than he did last season, with the right partner, I think he has 20 goals in him.

I am surprised Pat has not done more with the midfield, especially considering the last competitive display they put in, and i think we are a weaker team in the middle with Osbourne away.

I dont see us signing a lot more players given the lack of folk turning up with their season ticket money, but i think those are the two key areas. Out with that we should be looking to provide depth through youngsters and not signing players like Maybury.
    Last edited by Albion Hibs; 23-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    I find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks we are top six material. I am with the majority here in that I don't think we are anywhere near good enough. The priority has to be the midfield, if we get to sign one/two more players and Pat doesn't make them midfielders I genuinely think he'll regret it. When financially constrained like we are I would rather rely on Griffiths, Doyle, Caldwell to score goals and spend money on ensuring we have the midfield to support them. Buying a centre forward on thepresumption that Sproule, Stevenson or Claros can supply them is lunacy (I am hopeful Cairney may be quite good but can't do it all himself). Unless we address the midfield, improvements elsewhere will be redundant and we'll be the walkover/whipping boys of the league all over again.

Left by mutual consent!
    I don't think we'd have let Ozzy go so easily if we didn't have intentions of at least replacing him.

I think we are still short of two good midfielders (or one really good midfielder), one creative attacking player and a versatile defender. If i could ask for more on top of that it would be a big striker and then after that a backup keeper.

Can't see it happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs

Williams
    Clancy
    McPake
    Stephens
    Hanlon
    Sproule
    Claros
    Stephenson
    Cairney
    Doyle
    Griffiths

Can't disagree with the team you've picked BH and we are definitely a minimum of 4 short, as you've mentioned plus a half decent wide man.

Unless we get these players in we are going to struggle. I really do hope PF is given the Ozzy funds (can't see it tho)

FWIW I can maybe see Maybury given a DM role??
    Last edited by Aldo; 23-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.