hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

What Is There To Look Forward To?

Nice happy title to get us off on the right foot.

Serious question though.

Meditating on yesterday's Petrie Letter and accompanying music video, the message was very much 'Don't ask what Hibernian can do for you, ask what you can do for Hibernian'.

'Cept, I've been doing my duty for years, like most of you guys have. Many I'm sure have gone beyond the call of duty so far, that just doing your duty would be like having a rest from Hibs.

This pre-season I'm 'scunnered' to use the popular term. I don't see anything to look forward to, no signings to get excited about, no chance of decent performances, I think we're rank rotten and I don't fancy another relegation battle.

So before I get the petrol and swan vestas out, I wanted to ask if anyone is genuinely looking forward to the new season and why (getting you out of shopping with the missus doesn't count)

What's to look forward to at Hibs?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I still think it's funny folk who think we can challenge in the top six. This team as it stands will finish no higher than 9th max. Hibs will have a poor season mark my words. I'll still go along but I expect nothing, nothing at all. Only going as I do nothing else on a sat. Only plus is that Rangers aren't around to sing the bile when they come to ER. Only other thing to look forward to his talent spotting in the crowd when the football just get to much!

I'm intending to go to far more away games. The football might still be gash but the away day banter and pre match pints is always good.

We don't have to have one end of our ground filled by filthy huns twice a season for at least a couple of years.

We actually look like we have the makings of a steady defence and goalkeeer next season so might not lose as many calamitous goals as previous years.

That's about it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The realism that we are Hibs and therefore my expectation levels are set accordingly is what keeps me going, no point in trying to kid yourself of anything else or you may as well stay at home!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I'm intersted to see how to the new signings look and how Pat Fenlon has shaped the team. I'm hopefull of a comfertable season and a few more home wins. The home kit also looks class. Our players will be the most stylish in the SPL/World

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm intersted to see how to the new signings look and how Pat Fenlon has shaped the team. I'm hopefull of a comfertable season and a few more home wins. The home kit also looks class. Our players will be the most stylish in the SPL/World
    The strip I agree with, it's the only positive so far.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'm mostly looking forward to the season being different with Sevco being missing. The changes in league football are coming so hopefully they're done properly.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    There is nothing to look forward to. We've lost Griffiths' and O'Connors goals and neither has been replaced.

Relegation battle awaits.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    We have everything to look forward to next season. We don't know what's going to happen, at least I don't, so I expect and hope for the best. That might result in disappointment but until we actually implode I'm not going to sit around waiting for it to happen. It's a new season and everyone is tied for first. Go ahead and call me crazy but it's just the outlook I prefer to have. I suck at golf, I know I do, but I have my moments. Do I tee off expecting to shoot like crap or am I hoping that today could be the day that I string together a few good holes all at once?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    There is nothing to look forward to. We've lost Griffiths' and O'Connors goals and neither has been replaced.

Don't be such a defeatist, I'm looking forward to the unknown and hopefully.........progress.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    a new manager after the AGM..

Looking forward to my new seat in the East - people moaning as soon as they wake up to the fact we are still needing better players in key positions.

Also can't wait for 111 years in a row and the 5v1 taunting

@hibs.net private member Macaroon's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to going to Easter Road to watch Hibernian play. Fullstop.

(I'm young. The novelty hasn't worn off yet )

We are going to have to play a number of youngsters on a relatively frequent basis. That brings with it an unknown and so something to look forward to. Other clubs with the exception of Celtic are all going to be weaker so in theory I think we should be more competitive (if not quite going as far as top 6). I also believe that a good manager could improve our players with a combination of confidence building and good coaching.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I'm really looking forward to the new season meeting up with the boys again having a few beers. Some people on here need to lighten up

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mcvie7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post

You seem to be forgetting that we were in a relegation battle with Griffiths' and O'Connor.
    Last edited by mcvie7; 20-07-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mcvie7
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the new season meeting up with the boys again having a few beers. Some people on here need to lighten up

My thoughts exactly!!!

This is the season we win the Scottish cup. Don't ask how I know - I just do.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

Serious question though.

Meditating on yesterday's Petrie Letter and accompanying music video, the message was very much 'Don't ask what Hibernian can do for you, ask what you can do for Hibernian'.

'Cept, I've been doing my duty for years, like most of you guys have. Many I'm sure have gone beyond the call of duty so far, that just doing your duty would be like having a rest from Hibs.

This pre-season I'm 'scunnered' to use the popular term. I don't see anything to look forward to, no signings to get excited about, no chance of decent performances, I think we're rank rotten and I don't fancy another relegation battle.

So before I get the petrol and swan vestas out, I wanted to ask if anyone is genuinely looking forward to the new season and why (getting you out of shopping with the missus doesn't count)

What in Scottish football is there to look forward to at any level. Not a lot, but we better get use to it because it's going to be that way for a goodly number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    I'll have some of what you're on!

@hibs.net private member Macaroon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    A lot of people "knew" before that final.

Blog Entries
    We're in a boring rut just now with not much prospect of progress on last season. It's a chicken and egg situation with Petrie saying we can't realisically expect improvements unless the supporters dig deep in their pockets and lots of supporters unwilling to dig deep until there are signs of improvement. The only certainty is that Petrie will not give ground under any circumstances so we've got to hope that Fenlon, with the two or three additions he's managed so far, gets lucky and encourages more supporters to drift back.
    Last edited by Jim44; 20-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Wednesday against Lierse, proved to me we have a long way to go, we need to strengthen in midfield and up front. Hoping we add to squad, but after the chairmans message, I am not convinced we will see many more, although hoping to be proved wrong
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

First Team Breakthrough
    Sometimes i wake up and i think "what a lovely day, cant wait to getup/go out/ go for a pint" then it sinks in again - 5 - 1! Will this pain ever stop? I thought that the final might mark rock bottom but it looks like getting worse.
    When we got relegated last time we bobbled along the bottom for a while thinking "we will be alright" even a play off win over Airdrie was not heeded and down we went. This is *****
    Last edited by MSK; 20-07-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Please dont bypass the swear filter

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
    Sometimes i wake up and i think "what a lovely day, cant wait to getup/go out/ go for a pint" then it sinks in again - 5 - 1! Will this pain ever stop? I thought that the final might mark rock bottom but it looks like getting worse.
    When we got relegated last time we bobbled along the bottom for a while thinking "we will be alright" even a play off win over Airdrie was not heeded and down we went. This is *****
    I'm fine :-)

I know season tickets sold = players in .... Bottom line, and we all need to focus on that.... numbers are still a bit low but despite that... I'm cool about it all .... My Bruv is a Yam and he's started to go quiet......there's more positives from our side than his, mind you he sez they're laughing their cocks off at our (apparently) usual arguing between ourselves.... ..Regardless I'll be there on the 11th and will be behind the Hibees 100%!

GGTTH
    Last edited by MSK; 20-07-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Quote edited

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    We have everything to look forward to next season. We don't know what's going to happen, at least I don't, so I expect and hope for the best. That might result in disappointment but until we actually implode I'm not going to sit around waiting for it to happen. It's a new season and everyone is tied for first. Go ahead and call me crazy but it's just the outlook I prefer to have. I suck at golf, I know I do, but I have my moments. Do I tee off expecting to shoot like crap or am I hoping that today could be the day that I string together a few good holes all at once?

' Good on you mate ' that's it for me also !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Boy are the gloom and doomers out today.
    Let's be positive for F...s sake .
    Scottish football right accross the board is in a situation where the future really is unknown
    At ER , thanks to prudence on the part of the board , I don't see any reason why we can't at least compete for atop3/4 finish .
    If you feel like the OP are you going to stay at home and whinge or are you going to give the players support ?
    I accept that football is part of the entetainment business but given the present situation I amprepared to give my support next season in the hope things will improve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Serious question though.
    So, in what is destined to be the most unusual season in the history of Scottish football, you are entirely uninterested in whats going to happen? Yes, we might be weaker (and I'm yet to be convinced of this, although you'd apparently have us relegated already), but so is pretty much every other team in the league.

I'm hoping this is something of a trolling post. If it is, well done, you got me.

If it's not, then why are you bothering to be depressed? You could always just bugger off totally.

Lots of us have been "doing our duty" for years. Well done. You dont get to bank future expectation as a result of longevity of support. You've always had the choice to go, you've paid your money and you've accepted the fare that has been on show. If the fare is no longer to your taste, dont go. If lots of people take your view, then the club will, eventually, wither and die. Not melodramatic, not happy-clapper, just a fact. If we want better, it costs, if a significant number dont, no problem, but the acceptance has to be that this will mean a reduction in standard.

So, what we have to look forward to is a new season, no huns, weakened opposition, no Calderwood, no "bags of sweeties" uncertainty, the possibility of a good few of our rivals going into administration, and the chance to watch football. That'll do for me. When it wont do for me, I'll go away, and not bother the message boards with "woe, woe is me, I deserve better, Petrie is mean, Fenlon isnt good enough, yadda yadda yadda" keech that seems to be creeping back with the resolution of the Hun situation

We need to add 4/5 players, and a couple of decent ones also. Otherwise, it will be another dull slog IMHO.
    Last edited by IWasThere2016; 20-07-2012 at 04:30 PM.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvie7 View Post
    You seem to be forgetting that we were in a relegation battle with Griffiths' and O'Connor.
    Aye, & without them there may not be a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Twa Cairpets View Post
    So, in what is destined to be the most unusual season in the history of Scottish football, you are entirely uninterested in whats going to happen? Yes, we might be weaker (and I'm yet to be convinced of this, although you'd apparently have us relegated already), but so is pretty much every other team in the league.

I'm hoping this is something of a trolling post. If it is, well done, you got me.

If it's not, then why are you bothering to be depressed? You could always just bugger off totally.

Lots of us have been "doing our duty" for years. Well done. You dont get to bank future expectation as a result of longevity of support. You've always had the choice to go, you've paid your money and you've accepted the fare that has been on show. If the fare is no longer to your taste, dont go. If lots of people take your view, then the club will, eventually, wither and die. Not melodramatic, not happy-clapper, just a fact. If we want better, it costs, if a significant number dont, no problem, but the acceptance has to be that this will mean a reduction in standard.

So, what we have to look forward to is a new season, no huns, weakened opposition, no Calderwood, no "bags of sweeties" uncertainty, the possibility of a good few of our rivals going into administration, and the chance to watch football. That'll do for me. When it wont do for me, I'll go away, and not bother the message boards with "woe, woe is me, I deserve better, Petrie is mean, Fenlon isnt good enough, yadda yadda yadda" keech that seems to be creeping back with the resolution of the Hun situation
    Where are the goals gonna come from?