hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

That's a bit of a side topic though when the defence was that he was repeating the words as a question, not that he didn't think the words were racist or had racist intent.
    Having watched the game and then clearly seeing what JT said to AG it was more than clear what he said. Question or not why would he say that sort of thing on a football pitch.

I believe the preverbial can of worms has been opened. Will everyone now use that defence I wonder??

2. Log in to remove the advert

So basically the jury has either decided that its ok to call someone a ****ing black **** if said person winds you up or with very little evidence they've decided to believe John Terrys word over Ferdinands re the 'just repeating what he said to me' claim.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    So basically the jury has either decided that its ok to call someone a ****ing black **** if said person winds you up or with very little evidence they've decided to believe John Terrys word over Ferdinands re the 'just repeating what he said to me' claim.
    No, the court decided no-one can prove that he used the words in a way that was racist. From the other way round there was very little evidence that he had used any words in a racist way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Cue the "I just said what I thought he had thought I said to him" defence being used in every racial abuse case for years.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Having watched the game and then clearly seeing what JT said to AG it was more than clear what he said. Question or not why would he say that sort of thing on a football pitch.

I believe the preverbial can of worms has been opened. Will everyone now use that defence I wonder??
    I used the defence in Primary 5 when I was caught saying 'sex makes you deaf' quickly to someone who then said ...what?

Being at a Catholic school I got a letter home to my parents and used said defence of just repeating it. Worked for me.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    When you hear the summation given by the magistrate or judge or whatever he was, my take on it is " Due to legal technicalities you are not guilty" IMO that means he did it, the law knows he did it, every one else knows he did it but he got off on a matter of legal argument.

Total lowlife of a man.

A completely ludicrous verdict that is right up there with Stevie Gerrards assault as evidence that young multimillionaire footballers are judged more leniently than the general public. Whether this is because of starstruck juries or the skill of the superbarrister is a moot point.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    A completely ludicrous verdict that is right up there with Stevie Gerrards assault as evidence that young multimillionaire footballers are judged more leniently than the general public. Whether this is because of starstruck juries or the skill of the superbarrister is a moot point.
    To know that the verdict was wrong I'm presuming you have followed the evidence and proceedings?

You might have noted then that there wasn't a jury.

What the magistrate said doesn't really tie with the interpretation in the post above you either:

Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle said he had heard a great deal of evidence to show Mr Terry was not a racist.

In his written judgement, he said that after weighing the evidence it was "highly unlikely" that Mr Terry abused Mr Ferdinand in the manner he was accused of.

Mr Riddle went on: "The prosecution evidence as to what was said by Mr Ferdinand at this point is not strong.

"It is therefore possible that what he [Mr Terry] said was not intended as an insult, but rather as a challenge to what he believed had been said to him.

"In those circumstances, there being a doubt, the only verdict the court can record is one of not guilty."

Just because he's a prick, doesn't make him a racist. I think some people have assumed he is guilty for that reason.

I've seen the clip and it's difficult to tell 'beyond a reasonable doubt', everything that was said and how it was intended.

There is also something a bit funny about Ferdinand not realising it at the time although I'm not that up to date so maybe there is a rational reason for this.

Edit: forgot to mention, yes he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and the please 4x thing was very funny. However, I'd happily be swap a few of my IQ points for his footballing ability.
    Last edited by Holmesdale Hibs; 13-07-2012 at 05:07 PM.

He said he was asking Ferdinand if he thought he'd called him a black ******* , not that he was calling him that, that doesn't make him a racist, still a prick though.

what was the chances of England's capt EVER getting found guilty? !!!

was never gonna happen.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    what was the chances of England's capt EVER getting found guilty? !!!

was never gonna happen.
    Stevie Gerrard can do what he likes then