hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Joe McBride RIP (merged)

Picked up a thread on Follow Follow saying the great man was unwell, anybody heard anything?

http://forum.followfollow.com/showthread.php?t=884998

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hope not. Saw him in Hibs end at the cup final along with young Joe.
    Saw him score twice against Lisbon Lions in 2-0 win at Easter Road.
    Great player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great player.
    Me too and if I close my eyes I can still see him scoring the first one - magic
    This is how it feels

Great player.
    He was one of the most natural finishers I've seen. His first against Celtic that day was testimony to that when he swivelled around to hit a ball, not far off shoulder height, past Simpson and in to the roof of the net. He berated Arthur Duncan after he had gotten his two goals after Nijinsky blasted a ball wildly over from an acute angle, when a simple square ball would have given Joe his hat trick against his former side.

Topically, given your user name, this was Hibs first game after Tom Hart had taken over from Willie Harrower.

It shows us the esteem he is held in as every single post on follow follow wishes him well.
    Last edited by Ray_; 05-07-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    He was one of the most natural finishers I've seen. His first against Celtic that day was testimony to that when he swivelled around to hit a ball, not far off shoulder height, past Simpson and in to the roof of the net. He berated Arthur Duncan after he had gotten his two goals after Nijinsky blasted a ball wildly over from an acute angle, when a simple square ball would have given Joe his hat trick against his former side.

Topically, given your user name, this was Hibs first game after Tom Hart had taken over from Willie Harrower.

It shows us the esteem he is held in as every single post on follow follow wishes him well.
    I well remember being gutted when Colin Stein took the Queen's shilling Ray but within a couple of games I had forgotten all about him as I had a new hero

In his first three games he scored once against der hun, three against Leipzig and four against Morton.

I hope he recovers good health and agree that he deserves to be held in high esteem
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I well remember being gutted when Colin Stein took the Queen's shilling Ray but within a couple of games I had forgotten all about him as I had a new hero

In his first three games he scored once against der hun, three against Leipzig and four against Morton.

I hope he recovers good health and agree that he deserves to be held in high esteem
    I felt exactly the same as you and after the Leipzig match I never missed another Hibs game in the UK until I moved South, I used to wash cars and sell the tickets to get the cash & went straight to school after getting off the bus back from Liverpool, which sadly was the end for Joe in a Hibs shirt and Willie Mac as manager.

I felt exactly the same as you and after the Leipzig match I never missed another Hibs game in the UK until I moved South, I used to wash cars and sell the tickets to get the cash & went straight to school after getting off the bus back from Liverpool, which sadly was the end for Joe in a Hibs shirt and Willie Mac as manager.
    Wish we still had characters like them at ER Ray
    This is how it feels

Great player.
    This was probably the first big Hibs game I saw and I still consider it the best Hibs goal I`ve seen more than 40 years later . Remember just seeing it between thousands of Hibbies and Celtic fans who were crammed into the Cave .

One of those old-fashioned strikers who didn't suffer from the vapours or "lack of confidence". He just banged them in as he was supposed to do.

I can think of others - O'Rourke, Baker, Willie Wallace, Stevie Chalmers............

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Saw him score 3 against Malmo, thought that happened every week. Hope he's ok.

Wish we still had characters like them at ER Ray
    Too true, I feel sorry for the younger generations in terms of supporting Hibs, when we started watching games it was us who dominated the derby and flair wasn't just a myth, as even out with the TT's, the exceptional players were always in the majority & weaknesses were related to two or three positions.

Too true, I feel sorry for the younger generations in terms of supporting Hibs, when we started watching games it was us who dominated the derby and flair wasn't just a myth, as even out with the TT's, the exceptional players were always in the majority & weaknesses were related to two or three positions.
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Saw him score 3 against Malmo, thought that happened every week. Hope he's ok.
    It would have if we had played Malmo every week, even Jim Blair got a brace in that game We won 3-2 in the first leg & to think, before the decade was out they were playing in a European Cup Final and by that time we had players like Joe Ward & Bobby Hutchison in Joe McBride's position!

It would have if we had played Malmo every week, even Jim Blair got a brace in that game We won 3-2 in the first leg & to think, before the decade was out they were playing in a European Cup Final and by that time we had players like Joe Ward & Bobby Hutchison in Joe McBride's position!
    Wash your mouth out
    This is how it feels

Wash your mouth out
    Oh, OK, Martin Henderson & Ally Scott!

Joe McBride Snr

So sorry to hear Joe is not too well, im sure all Hibbies that remember him will wish him well.

A great player brought in to replace the idol of the fans Colin Stein, whose flair and strike rate soon made us forget about Steins trip along the M8.

A really brilliant center forward in the old fashioned mould and a true gentleman too.

A much loved young friend of mine idolised the man and will be sad to hear he is ill.

Better return the favour with a letter Sean................................

Get well soon Joe! xx

Oh, OK, Martin Henderson & Ally Scott!
    AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggg gghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PS You forgot Graham Fyfe
    This is how it feels

Joe snr a bit before my time but hope you get well soon.

Remember Joe jnr scoring two very late goals at *********** to grab a 2-2 draw from nowhere early eighties.
    Felt like a victory at the time.

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggg gghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PS You forgot Graham Fyfe
    I didn't forget about him unfortunately, although I've spent the last thirty odd years trying to, but he was a winger [allegedly]. He actually played terrific against us in the 1971 league cup quarter final games, which we lost both legs 3-1, another case of Rangers cheating, as it was his hapless twin that ended up at ER!

Quote Originally Posted by Greendrongo View Post
    Joe snr a bit before my time but hope you get well soon.

Remember Joe jnr scoring two very late goals at *********** to grab a 2-2 draw from nowhere early eighties.
    Felt like a victory at the time.
    LOL i only swapped the ty in tynie with swi

I didn't forget about him unfortunately, although I've spent the last thirty odd years trying to, but he was a winger [allegedly]. He actually played terrific against us in the 1971 league cup quarter final games, which we lost both legs 3-1, another case of Rangers cheating, as it was his hapless twin that ended up at ER!
    On the subject of Joe Sr. 91 games for Hibs including 3 as a sub and 58 goals - phenomenal stuff!

Check his stats http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=750
    This is how it feels

On the subject of Joe Sr. 91 games for Hibs including 3 as a sub and 58 goals - phenomenal stuff!

He was absolutely prolific, I remember him running through the Hibs defence to score what I think was the only goal of the game, at East End Park, after he had moved to Dunfermline, it was a shoo on that was going to happen, much in the same way Jimmy O'Rourke was always going to do the same with ST Johnstone.

Those last five games bring back some memories, the 0-0 game at Shawfield, we arrived at the ground late as Mrs Mac's Hawkhill bus broke down and we ran the last couple of miles to get to the game & the game at Cappielow [1-2] was the rearranged fixture after the first game was called off after 33 minutes, this was due to a downpour, with the scores 0-0 & we had, had one chalked off. The abandoned game was around September time as that mid-week before the game, Hibs were playing in the blazing heat of Portugal against Guimaraes.
    Last edited by Ray_; 05-07-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Same here JC - great player for Hibs

One of the first away games I remember was against Motherwell in October 1963 - it was Pat Stanton's debut and Paddy scored the last goal, however Joe had already scored a hat-trick and we lost 4-3. The match report and some pics and details of the games you mention are on the link below

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...Joe%20McBride/

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post

One of the first away games I remember was against Motherwell in October 1963 - it was Pat Stanton's debut and Paddy scored the last goal, however Joe had already scored a hat-trick and we lost 4-3. The match report and some pics and details of the games you mention are on the link below

Some great photo's and articles there, in one of the reports it mentions Hibs due in Portugal on the 30th September, so I was just barely right on that one

Has anybody actually heard what the problem with his health is? Like everybody, I wish for a speedy recovery.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

I remember going to school the Monday after the Rangers game (Rangers had beaten us 6-1 with Stein scoring a hat-trick, remember) and being ribbed unmercifully by the glory-hunters.

I also remember going the following Monday and some Hun trying to start it again, and being able to look at him all innocent and asking, "Colin WHO?"

Jock Stein had treated Joe with less than the respect he was due, IIRC, and when he sold him to us coming out with some comment about Joe's knees being gone and him not having many more goals in him.

So the two in the Celtic game were special - I seem to remember a celebration right in front of the Celtic bench for the second. No wonder he was wild at Arfur for wasting his chance of a hat-trick.

Great player and a very decent bloke. Really hope for better news of him soon. One of the truly great goalscorers - as heretoday says, no fits of the vapours or crises of confidence, just a "Gie's the ba', where's the net?" guy who did his stuff for every club he signed for.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post

In season 66/67 at ER, Celtic won 5-3 and Joe got four of them!
    This is how it feels

Record says he has suffered six strokes. Very sad news

Thanks for the update, as you said, very sad indeed, as well as a great player, if the comments on FF are anything to go by, he must be an absolute gent to have the respect of so many Rangers fans.

So very sad to hear that, i hope he will recover.

God bless you Joe, the prayers of all Hibs supporters are with you now.

GGTH