hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Credit where its due

For years fans have moaned about the type of signings we have made so how about a bit credit where its due:

Ben Williams- goalkeeper with over 300 appearances and at 29 just hitting his peak. Coming from a level comparable to the SPL.

Tim Clancy - Consistent performer for a team who.finished above us and who wanted to keep him.

James McPake - Already proved what he can do in a Hibs jersey. Big personality and a leader.

Paul Cairney - Goalscoring midfielder from the lower leagues who seems hungry to make the step up.

Don't get me wrong there is still a long way to go but the 4 signing we have made thus far show me that we appear to have some idea what direction we are going in.

Well done Hibs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Considering the first four signings of last season were Sproule, O'Connor, O'Hanlon and Agogo this appears to be a step up.

Coaching Staff
    To be fair every year we can point to the same thing. We've signed players from Liverpool, Aston Villa, captain of a Dutch team, decent Championship players, Central American internationals etc etc.

The proof is in whether they are the right characters at the right time and if that translates to the pitch. Promising though but I've been there before. That's why I find it hard to criticise the Board on signings as they always provide the players, the managers just don't get them right though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For years fans have moaned about the type of signings we have made so how about a bit credit where its due:

Ben Williams- goalkeeper with over 300 appearances and at 29 just hitting his peak. Coming from a level comparable to the SPL.

Tim Clancy - Consistent performer for a team who.finished above us and who wanted to keep him.

James McPake - Already proved what he can do in a Hibs jersey. Big personality and a leader.

Paul Cairney - Goalscoring midfielder from the lower leagues who seems hungry to make the step up.

Don't get me wrong there is still a long way to go but the 4 signing we have made thus far show me that we appear to have some idea what direction we are going in.

Well done Hibs.
    Yup, credit where credit is due, we seem to be going about our busines in a quiet yet efficent way. At this stage have to admit the players signed appear to be of a good standard and the manager appears to know who/what he wants and the Board, often maligned, have done their best [makes a change], to bring in 1st choices and not as in the past, 2nd/3rd choice players at the last minute. [ Ooops, appear to have slipped into moaning mood towards end of my post.]

Yep good start.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon Kujabi

New RM Cairney Osbourne New LM

Doyle New CF

Promise in there - get a couple of wingers in and a man who can bang in the goals and we're there! FWIW, I think we could see Doyle be near the fifteen to twenty goal mark this season - evidently building on his upper body strength, he's got a good footballing brain and I expect to see some crap defensive line-ups this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon Kujabi

New RM Cairney Osbourne New LM

Doyle New CF

Promise in there - get a couple of wingers in and a man who can bang in the goals and we're there! FWIW, I think we could see Doyle be near the fifteen to twenty goal mark this season - evidently building on his upper body strength, he's got a good footballing brain and I expect to see some crap defensive line-ups this coming season.
    I still reckon Booth or Kujabi could be worth a shot at LM although that obviously just leaves another gap to fill anyway.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    FWIW, I think we could see Doyle be near the fifteen to twenty goal mark this season - evidently building on his upper body strength, he's got a good footballing brain and I expect to see some crap defensive line-ups this coming season.
    I'm optimistic about Doyle too - he finds good wee pockets of space, has a good first touch and a few tricks up his sleeve too. I reckon Fenlon will be looking for a partner for him, he clearly rates him.

Well done to PF and the board... Good signings so far.

Have a funny feeling there may be more announced by the end of week??

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Well done to PF and the board... Good signings so far.

Have a funny feeling there may be more announced by the end of week??
    Byron Moore, Dean Shiels and Stephen McManus?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound

Byron Moore, Dean Shiels and Stephen McManus?
    Where's this info coming from WH??

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr.rar View Post
    Considering the first four signings of last season were Sproule, O'Connor, O'Hanlon and Agogo this appears to be a step up.
    I think when those 4 were announced people were very happy!

I rate Doyle. Some of the paces he made in our 4-0 win over Dunf were class, his movemeant is good and he put away a few goals with not much game time.

Hopefully he shines next season!

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr.rar View Post
    If I remember correctly we were all jizzing over those signings.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Every year we have folk thinking we have signed the new Messi and Ronaldo, at the same time we have threads on who we think will come 3rd, 2nd this season. And on the strength of these new signing we end up top of the list of teams we think will finish 3rd/2nd.

Any credit thats due, will be forthcoming from me as soon as i see improvement, and even more credit will come if we get to a sufficient level i think we should be at.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Every year we have folk thinking we have signed the new Messi and Ronaldo, at the same time we have threads on who we think will come 3rd, 2nd this season. And on the strength of these new signing we end up top of the list of teams we think will finish 3rd/2nd.

Any credit thats due, will be forthcoming from me as soon as i see improvement, and even more credit will come if we get to a sufficient level i think we should be at.
    Spoilsport

Quote Originally Posted by wearethehibs View Post
    If I remember correctly we were all jizzing over those signings.
    Not me.

O'Connor I was happy with and his goal return if not all his performances.proved he was a worthwhile signing.

The other 3 I couldn't have cared less about and was actively critical of the resigning of Sproule.

Every player we have signed this year was a first pick at the clubs they played at last season ( if we count McPake as being a Hibs player last season). Can the same be said of any of the signings at this stage last season?

Stevenson > Osbourne for me. Osbourne is a better player but never looks interested. Having been one of the only ones to give 100% each week and by far our POTY imo Stevenson should not lose his place to a lazy oaf.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    [QUOTE=Northernhibee;3290084]
    Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon booth

Spoony Cairney Osbourne kujabi

New Cf New CF

I would be willing to give spoony a chance in the midfield. Don't like ozzy much but he is not the worst at the club, would be prefer a de jong type. A left midfielder and two strikers would be at the top of my list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    To be fair every year we can point to the same thing. We've signed players from Liverpool, Aston Villa, captain of a Dutch team, decent Championship players, Central American internationals etc etc.

The proof is in whether they are the right characters at the right time and if that translates to the pitch. Promising though but I've been there before. That's why I find it hard to criticise the Board on signings as they always provide the players, the managers just don't get them right though.
    Tend to agree with you. promising stuff though

Hard to get too excited yet. If the Huns are shoehorned back into the league anywhere but Div 3 where any other club would be then I'll never see the new players.
    Still, it looks like some quality at long last. :-)

We need more, and soon IMHO. But so far so good

Its a little funny how we are asking for credit because we have signed a couple of players, but we struggle to give credit and get fully behind the club/team when we are up there punching our weight in 4th?

Strange.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Its a little funny how we are asking for credit because we have signed a couple of players, but we struggle to give credit and get fully behind the club/team when we are up there punching our weight in 4th?

Strange.
    You are a cantankerousness old *******.
    I think these have all been decent signings but it shows how far and how quickly our standards have dropped that we are getting all excited about them when as you say not that long ago we were qualifying for Europe. To be fair it was by the skin of our teeth and with some very average players.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Where's this info coming from WH??
    Sorry Aldo. Nothing concrete, just a combination of different rumours from elsewhere, although I have heard from a decent source Deano is definitely wanted by PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I'm optimistic about Doyle too - he finds good wee pockets of space, has a good first touch and a few tricks up his sleeve too. I reckon Fenlon will be looking for a partner for him, he clearly rates him.
    yeah..... i think doyle's going on to big things, his movement and positional play is second to none, he'll be one of those strikers that take 2 defenders with him wherever he goes on the pitch.

[QUOTE=yekimevol;3290185]
    Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon booth

Spoony Cairney Osbourne kujabi

New Cf New CF

I would be willing to give spoony a chance in the midfield. Don't like ozzy much but he is not the worst at the club, would be prefer a de jong type. A left midfielder and two strikers would be at the top of my list now.
    wotherspoon showed so much promise when he first started with us, but i think he has dwindled away to nothing, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to pressure as everyone looked to him as the golden boy and savour....but all last season and the season before i've done nothing but complain about him....... i wont be surprised if he doesnt show up next season either......he's frustrating more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    You are a cantankerousness old *******.
    I think these have all been decent signings but it shows how far and how quickly our standards have dropped that we are getting all excited about them when as you say not that long ago we were qualifying for Europe. To be fair it was by the skin of our teeth and with some very average players.
    I know imagine qualifying for europe by the skin of our teeth?

Perhaps we should only do it by winning the Scottish cup, or finishing 20 points clear of the 5th place team? Maybe then, when we have something to give them credit with, we'd actually do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Ben Williams- goalkeeper with over 300 appearances and at 29 just hitting his peak. Coming from a level comparable to the SPL.Tim Clancy - Consistent performer for a team who.finished above us and who wanted to keep him.

Well done Hibs.
    Similar background to Simon Brown who was not as bad as some people said.

Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    Similar background to Simon Brown who was not as bad as some people said.
    His very first game at easter road, he let in a shot from Chris Boyd that any keeper apart from Zibi should have saved. Chocolate wrists that let his shot go in.

There were other gaffs, too numerous to mention, but the game at Tynecastle, where he guided the ball into the net to the astonishment of a packed Hibs end should have seen him never play again for us.

Lets not rewrite history here, Simon Brown is a poor keeper.