hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marquee signing?

A lot of talk lately coming from the board and fenlon regarding budget for this season relying on season ticket sales, don't know who is head of marketing at hibs but a blind man in a dark room could see our ST sales would drop this year, take out the gutless scottish cup final performance we still finished second bottom and that went pretty much to the wire.

Football isn't quite like other business', if rod and pat want more cash to spend, they have to spend a little themselves, a marquee signing would generate interest, show the club has ambition especially with the huns gone, Carpe diem and all that!!, look what happened when we signed george best, we put another 8k on the gate for his first game, ok it didn't work out too well due to george but you catch my drift.

Hibs are probably in a better financial position than most clubs in the spl at the moment and with the peepel gone we have a better chance of reaching europe.

C'MON HIBS SPLASH A MILLION ON A PLAYER LIKE EREMENKO WHO WAS AT KILLIE!, DON'T BOTTLE IT AS USUAL, YOU CAN GIVE THE GUY A GREAT SIGNING ON FEE TO COMPENSATE HIS POOR WEEKLY WAGE, THUS NOT BREAKING THE WAGE STRUCTURE!! THE CLUB TALKS ABOUT BRINGING IN QUALITY, WELL APART FROM MCPAKE (APOLOGIES TO CAIRNEY AND CLANCY I HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH OF YOU BOTH YET) WE SEEM TO BE AT THE BACK OF THE PACK AGAIN!!!

GGTTH
    FTHMFC

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I will start.... there will be no inTENT to make a marquee signing.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Would love to see hibs spend some money but we dont have any to spend, id rather we signed a really strong team rather than a load of dummies and 1 good player

Craig Gordon??? :D

Dont think we are in a better finanicial position than other spl teams as can see us having a bigger loss than last years £800k after last season despite the cup final revenue. Think our marque signing has been mcpake.

So you've been paying a lot of attention then...

1. We've been spending beyond our means for years now.
    2. Income is going to be way down in the seasons to come, fewer ST's, drop off on TV cash and sponsorship etc.
    3. Will it attract significantly higher crowds if we splash a load of money on a 'name' signing? In the short term yes, but in the long run we need a solid team performing to keep those fans coming back. I'd rather our budget went towards getting the best team we can.
    4. McPake doesn't count as the sort of signing that would get people excited?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there will be and it will create a media circus. Can feel the tentsion building already

Coaching Staff
    I'd never have pegged us as a club to make a marquee signing.

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    I'd never have pegged us as a club to make a marquee signing.
    Aw, c'mon, guy....!!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    No need to be be tenterhooks as there won't be enough money if newco start in Div 3. Peg back your expectations although you're welcome to canvas opinion among other posters.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

McPake.... marquee signing? He's just camp...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    So you've been paying a lot of attention then...

1. We've been spending beyond our means for years now.
    2. Income is going to be way down in the seasons to come, fewer ST's, drop off on TV cash and sponsorship etc.
    3. Will it attract significantly higher crowds if we splash a load of money on a 'name' signing? In the short term yes, but in the long run we need a solid team performing to keep those fans coming back. I'd rather our budget went towards getting the best team we can.
    4. McPake doesn't count as the sort of signing that would get people excited?
    I appreciate your points but bringing players like best, sauzee, latapy to the club had a valued effect on the youngsters? ,why so much negativity? season is over, time to build again, can't wallow in the past, this is one reason why we struggle to beat hearts every year, why do you and other posters continue to be negative?
    No mcpake isn't a marquee signing as he had a clause in the loan contract that said if we wanted him it would cost 100k, the negativity on this site suggest there are more people trying to bring us down than help us!!
    I know we are in a world of **** at the moment but please try and be more positive guys??

Every other club is spending without their means and will suffer accordingly, a lposs of an average of 750k a year is small in comparison to the potential hibs have mate.

DON'T BE SO NEGATIVE!!!
    GO AND SUPPORT THE YAMS IF U WANT FINANCIAL SECURITY!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: N/A
    A marquee signing would certainly provide more cover than we have at present.

Alan Maybury??

Quote Originally Posted by Halifaxhibby View Post
    I appreciate your points but bringing players like best, sauzee, latapy to the club had a valued effect on the youngsters? ,why so much negativity? season is over, time to build again, can't wallow in the past, this is one reason why we struggle to beat hearts every year, why do you and other posters continue to be negative?
    No mcpake isn't a marquee signing as he had a clause in the loan contract that said if we wanted him it would cost 100k, the negativity on this site suggest there are more people trying to bring us down than help us!!
    I know we are in a world of **** at the moment but please try and be more positive guys??

Every other club is spending without their means and will suffer accordingly, a lposs of an average of 750k a year is small in comparison to the potential hibs have mate.

DON'T BE SO NEGATIVE!!!
    GO AND SUPPORT THE YAMS IF U WANT FINANCIAL SECURITY!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
    That 100k clause in McPake's contract would have meant if we had paid that we would have paid more than we did for either Sauzee or Latapy IIRC.

Kinda defeats yiur point no?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Surely it's worth canvassing the support to see what they think?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to have to pitch this to the 'tache

What about a marquee signing who would draw in the Leith Eastern European community?

I think we should be looking at some big Poles
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    What about a marquee signing who would draw in the Leith Eastern European community?

I think we should be looking at some big Poles
    That would rope them in.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F_Sauzee_4 View Post
    A marquee signing would certainly provide more cover than we have at present.
    Especially if it came with a couple of Poles

That would rope them in.
    I think we've all got a stake in seeing that happen

Quote Originally Posted by Halifaxhibby View Post
    A lot of talk lately coming from the board and fenlon regarding budget for this season relying on season ticket sales, don't know who is head of marketing at hibs but a blind man in a dark room could see our ST sales would drop this year, take out the gutless scottish cup final performance we still finished second bottom and that went pretty much to the wire.

Football isn't quite like other business', if rod and pat want more cash to spend, they have to spend a little themselves, a marquee signing would generate interest, show the club has ambition especially with the huns gone, Carpe diem and all that!!, look what happened when we signed george best, we put another 8k on the gate for his first game, ok it didn't work out too well due to george but you catch my drift.

Hibs are probably in a better financial position than most clubs in the spl at the moment and with the peepel gone we have a better chance of reaching europe.

C'MON HIBS SPLASH A MILLION ON A PLAYER LIKE EREMENKO WHO WAS AT KILLIE!, DON'T BOTTLE IT AS USUAL, YOU CAN GIVE THE GUY A GREAT SIGNING ON FEE TO COMPENSATE HIS POOR WEEKLY WAGE, THUS NOT BREAKING THE WAGE STRUCTURE!! THE CLUB TALKS ABOUT BRINGING IN QUALITY, WELL APART FROM MCPAKE (APOLOGIES TO CAIRNEY AND CLANCY I HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH OF YOU BOTH YET) WE SEEM TO BE AT THE BACK OF THE PACK AGAIN!!!

GGTTH
    FTHMFC
    I hope if Hibs do go down this route, that they build the anticipation amongst the fans first, with a few hints. It would make it far more exciting if they prime us

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Hate it when these puns pop-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Hate it when these puns pop-up.
    They certainly pay bivvy-dends.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    How about Nade? He will need a Big Top.

This place is becoming a circus.

Plenty of clowns of course.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    What do the rest of you guys think ?

First Team Breakthrough jamieross's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: JamieMth
    All this talk of splashing big money on a big name and living beyond our means, do you want us to end up like the huns?

Thats not a negative point but actually being financially sensible really. Its all fine saying we need a better product on the park (i think we can all agree on that), but it would stupid to spend money we dont actually have and not end up having a club at all.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I'm sure the scouts will come up with one.

Doubt if any of you comedians have been to as many games as i have, crack on with your jokes, i suppose being teenagers on saturday night with nothing else to do shows just what your up to on a saturday night!!

Crack on and bring the club down some more, your not of my generation and don't understand what being a hibee is all about? you were probably ****ting inyour nappy and wiping it on yer face when sauzee was king in scotland, ignore my points if you will but people of your mentality just perpetuate the myth that hibs are bottle merchants on and off the park, i've seen my team rip the jambos apart and i want to get back to those days. DO YOU?