hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Should Rod Petrie resign if he has played a key role in the doc sent to SFL clubs?

Voters
338. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

257 76.04%
  • No

81 23.96%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Petrie's role in newco discussions (merged)

Yes or no?

2. Log in to remove the advert

"The “lucrative” package of reconstruction proposals – with a new Rangers thrown in – was cooked up by SFA chief executive Stewart Regan, vice-president Rod Petrie, SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and SFL chief executive David Longmuir."

Rod Petrie can easily deny this report - if he doesn't we have to assume that it's true.

This means his role in the SFA is a conflict of interest to his role as Hibernian chairman and I believe he should resign.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Yes, if true he is no longer a fit and proper person to run a football club

Would be interesting to know if other clubs chairmen were involved as well.
    Last edited by degenerated; 01-07-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Any plans to change or bend the rules to give NEWCO an advantage over anyone else in Scotland is a scandal, its at odds with all sporting integrity. It is even worse to preach it then secretly plan to do the very thing you are preaching against. IF this is true, he simply HAS to go, no ifs or buts.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    i like a lot of the work he has done at ER but this will make his position at the club untenable imo

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any plans to change or bend the rules to give NEWCO an advantage over anyone else in Scotland is a scandal, its at odds with all sporting integrity. It is even worse to preach it then secretly plan to do the very thing you are preaching against. IF this is true, he simply HAS to go, no ifs or buts.
    In a nutshell. It's a discussion for another thread on another day but it's incredible how little grief he has got for taking us so far back since 2007. It'll be interesting to see if this'll be the straw to break a few camels backs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    We used to say "more faces than the toon hall clock" but I bet there are few folk scratching there heads with that one

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I clicked no thanks to a dodgy mouse, I meant yes.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Yes.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

He can't have said no to newco then tried to help them. Hibs should be his only concern or he needs to leave.

@hibs.net private member
    Take it we are talking about resigning from Hibs rather than SPL board

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    If he's part of this stitch up, then he cant remain in charge at Hibs.

Personally i'm yet to be convinced he has been involved in this, surely he's not that daft?

NO - Petrie is a businessman who has instilled finacial stability into this club, the man's thinking is probably along the lines off, well we have a 20000 seater stadium that hasn't be filled once and the last visit of Rangers probably saw more of their fans in our ground than Hibby's.

With this in mind that we struggle to get bums on seats, the TV deal in the balance, three years without Rangers or Newco will be damaging...besides whose to say this document doesn't stipulate a one body two division league (the way it should be) with Rangers in the first????

Believe it or not i actually believe he wants Rangers in the 3rd, from day one the guy has made his feelings and the club's feelings clear while there was no comment from other clubs, however, he is apart of decision making panel that involves many other people who all have different viewpoints

Fans of the Scottish game should be more concentrated on pushing for complete reconstruction with a tier system. Time for change!!

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Lets just wait for the facts before carving our blades.

I voted yes obviously, but have my doubts about his involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Personally i'm yet to be convinced he has been involved in this, surely he's not that daft?
    My thoughts exactly, but it is easy to put right as a news article can be put up in minutes by Hibs. Of course if true then this is not just RP and doncaster, it is romanov, thomson, milne, brown, et al as well

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

That document has be out there for days now and the silence is deafening, anybody that has nae part in it simply has tae come out and say so. Anybody that cannae or winnae has something tae hide IMO. Surely anybody who has spoken out in favour of sporting integrity cannae have a problem with and must speak out against that disgusting attempt at blackmail and bribery.

So come on all you sporting integrity people, lets be having you?
    Last edited by Saorsa; 01-07-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    Yes or no?
    Resign from role at Hibernian of course, there was a limit to word count in the question...

A yes from me.

Rod spoke about sporting integrity being beyond purchase, Regan said they would act without fear or favour and Longmuir claimed there was no chance of 'Newco' ending up in the first division - if they really were involved in preparing that document they now have zero credibility. All should resign from their posts both at the SFA/SFL and in Petrie's case at Hibs. Doncaster is the only one who has been consistent in his approach, but he is so far out of his depth that he should be sacked in any case.

Like Blackpool, I find it hard to believe that all three have been so foolish.

There's been a lack of unequivocal statements. Clyde and Morton have been more convincing...

If Rod wasn't involved he can easily say so. It takes minutes. if he has to have a meeting before he can do this maybe it would take days?

But I see no reason not to tell the fans what his role is in this. This document was one of the worst pieces of bribery I've seen and no-one has denied its authenticity, despite having been in the public domain for days.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    That document has be out there for days now, anybody that has nae part in it simply has tae come out and say so. Anybody that cannae or winnae has something tae hide IMO. Anybody who is in favour of sporting integrity must speak out against that disgusting attempt at blackmail and bribery.
    I agree, maybe he will soon? At the minute he's guilty of nothing, i agree he needs to come out and tell us his part in this, if indeed he had any part in it?

I might be wrong, but i just dont think he's that daft. I cant see him pissing off the entire Hibs support, especially when being so up front about sporting integrity from the beginning.

I hope i'm right?

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    A yes from me.

Rod spoke about sporting integrity being beyond purchase, Regan said they would act without fear or favour and Longmuir claimed there was no chance of 'Newco' ending up in the first division - if they really were involved in preparing that document they now have zero credibility. All should resign from their posts both at the SFA/SFL and in Petrie's case at Hibs. Doncaster is the only one who has been consistent in his approach, but he is so far out of his depth that he should be sacked in any case.

Like Blackpool, I find it hard to believe that all three have been so foolish.
    That's for the SFL clubs too decide

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    So am I right in saying that people don't believe that Rangers should be in SPL2? what planet are you on? Everyone will get a shot at applying and of course new rangers will get in but they are exactly that - new rangers!

The punishment has been dished out by the SPL chairmen already. There should be no retrospective punishment as that's against the law. New company, new era.

Petrie has sense here, just that people can't see it because of their tinted specs. Rangers WILL be in SPL2 whether Petrie wants it or not, and all the clubs want reconstruction.

We can't have it both ways and it does t really matter as by the time the SPL2 comes into play it's more than likely that the huns will be in the second or even first division.

RELAX.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Give a wee while for things to come out in the open. IF (and thats a big IF - considering Petrie was the guy who first mentioned sporting integrity) he is a part of it then I would wait to see just how big a part it was. If he has played a major role and it becomes reality then yes, his position is untenable.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tó Madeira View Post
    So am I right in saying that people don't believe that Rangers should be in SPL2? what planet are you on? Everyone will get a shot at applying and of course new rangers will get in but they are exactly that - new rangers!

The punishment has been dished out by the SPL chairmen already. There should be no retrospective punishment as that's against the law. New company, new era.

Petrie has sense here, just that people can't see it because of their tinted specs. Rangers WILL be in SPL2 whether Petrie wants it or not, and all the clubs want reconstruction.

We can't have it both ways and it does t really matter as by the time the SPL2 comes into play it's more than likely that the huns will be in the second or even first division.

RELAX.
    No.

Get Rangers to ****.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSimplyHibs View Post
    That's for the SFL clubs too decide
    It shouldn't be though. Longmuir stated that the rules did not allow for an applicant club to be parachuted into Div 1 and gave the impression that he was strongly opposed to such a fix being concocted in the case of Rangers. If he's now the architect of a proposal to carry out that fix his position becomes untenable.

Left by mutual consent!

RELAX.
    There'd be nae talk or threats of SPL 2 or restructuring, that's no tae say it isnae needed but it should be for the right reasons and no tae get them in, anybody else would have been punted by now and this finished months ago. This has **** all tae dae with the good of Scottish fitba and everything tae dae with getting newco huns as far up the leagues as possible and it's a hastily put together ill thought out piece of nonsense full of threats and bribery. New teams start at the bottom. Even if there is an SPL 2 there are clubs out there with far more history and right tae the places than this newco that disnae even exist as a fitba team yet.

The people running (ruining) the game in this country have nae interest of doing the right thing or what's best for the game. Instead they continue to come across as what they are, a bunch of myopic, self interested, gravy train riding shysters and old firm sycophants who couldn't give a toss about anyone or anything but themselves as long as they can still line their ain pockets.

and if you cannae see that maybe it's you that's on a different planet.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 01-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    It shouldn't be though. Longmuir stated that the rules did not allow for an applicant club to be parachuted into Div 1 and gave the impression that he was strongly opposed to such a fix being concocted in the case of Rangers. If he's now the architect of a proposal to carry out that fix his position becomes untenable.

I know however, this is the problem with having so many different bodies involved in such a simple game...SPL have said to Newco playing in the top tier, they can apply to the SFL and it is upto them to decided where they play - SPL clubs don't have a say.

That is why this is a great opportunity for fans of the Scottish game to unite and push for complete reconstruction where one body oversees everything and yes this involves Rangers playing in the lower division (their financial clout in the whole Scottish game from youth to pro is too strong for them not to be involved) think about it even if it was just their diehards that went to watch them play in the 3rd division they would still have more season ticket holders than Hibs and the rest of the SPL bar Celtic and Hearts.

Time for complete change forget about this 4 divisions, x amount of different bodies rubbish

RELAX.
    The proposal isn't about getting Rangers into SPL2, it's about letting them into SFL1 for the forthcoming season. There is a bribe of £1m and a series of spurious advantages listed if the SFL clubs agree to this and a threat of SPL2 with complete separation if they don't. It's difficult to see how it could be much sleazier. Whether an SPL2 is desirable or not is debatable, but the idea that they would rush it through before the start of next season purely to accommodate one corrupt club is disgusting.

It's not about punishment any more, Rangers avoided punishment for most of their crimes by pulling the plug on their old company, it's simply about treating the new company in the same way as they would treat any other club in the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSimplyHibs View Post
    I know however, this is the problem with having so many different bodies involved in such a simple game...SPL have said to Newco playing in the top tier, they can apply to the SFL and it is upto them to decided where they play - SPL clubs don't have a say.

That is why this is a great opportunity for fans of the Scottish game to unite and push for complete reconstruction where one body oversees everything and yes this involves Rangers playing in the lower division (their financial clout in the whole Scottish game from youth to pro is too strong for them not to be involved) think about it even if it was just their diehards that went to watch them play in the 3rd division they would still have more season ticket holders than Hibs and the rest of the SPL bar Celtic and Hearts.

Time for complete change forget about this 4 divisions, x amount of different bodies rubbish
    Agree with nearly all of that, but IMO it's too late to start reconstruction for the forthcoming season so the current structure must be adhered to in full rather than concocting some half-arsed plan to assist a club that doesn't deserve any sort of favourable treatment. By all means state that this will be the last season under the current set-up and arrange a better structure for 2013-14 but do it for sporting reasons and above all do it without fear or favour.