hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Wimbledon

Does Schiavone drink from the furry cup?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Could be an interesting match in the quarter finals between Petra Kvitova and Serena Williams.

Last year's champion vs the ultimate champion!

Even now in the twilight of her career, you can really never dismiss Serena Williams from any tennis match.

Looks like Maria Sharapova will be going out of this year's tournament as she trails Sabine Lisicki by a set and is 4-1 down in the 2nd set.

Murray will be on after that match finishes so I would expect him to be on in the next 20 minutes or so.

Maria Sharapova is out of Wimbledon after losing 6-4 6-3 to Sabine Lisicki.

Andy Murray will be on court in 10 minutes.

Xavier Malisse forces his match against Roger Federer into a fourth set as he wins the third, 6-4 and is a break up early on in the fourth too!

Could be very interesting!!

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maria Sharapova is out of Wimbledon after losing 6-4 6-3 to Sabine Lisicki.

Andy Murray will be on court in 10 minutes.
    Is there a cheerier character than Lisicki? always got a smile on her face!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    That's because she had me courtside for her match last Wednesday!

How could you NOT have a smile on your face after that!?

What did the rest of the crowd have to say about THAT?!!

First set to Murray, 7-5, did well from a break down.

Probably because she is bang tidy and knows it.

Murray 2 sets to 0 up, rain stops play.

@hibs.net private member
    Glad to hear you had such a good time at Wimbledon FH. Maybe one day might make it myself.

Not wanting to sound paranoid but why is Murray on court 1 rather than the Centre Court? Never seem to remember Tiger Tim being "relegated" off Centre. Also when will Wimbledon get up with the times and play on middle Sunday each year. Would give players more time to fit in 5 setters in the second week.

Finally where does anyone else stand on Women being paid the same as men? Personally I feel they don't deserve it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Bit premature. He is a set and a break up leading 3 1 in 2nd set.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Glad to hear you had such a good time at Wimbledon FH. Maybe one day might make it myself.

Not wanting to sound paranoid but why is Murray on court 1 rather than the Centre Court? Never seem to remember Tiger Tim being "relegated" off Centre. Also when will Wimbledon get up with the times and play on middle Sunday each year. Would give players more time to fit in 5 setters in the second week.

Finally where does anyone else stand on Women being paid the same as men? Personally I feel they don't deserve it.
    All of the top players usually get one match where they have to play on Court 1, however it's normally in the first couple of rounds. It could have been a pretty dangerous thing to do if this match had been a bit closer when they had to go off for the rain delay.

The women should absolutely not be paid the same as the men when they're not doing the same job! To win a Grand Slam, a man has to potentially play 35 sets of tennis, whereas the female champion could only have to play as little as 14!

That cannot be right.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    All of the top players usually get one match where they have to play on Court 1, however it's normally in the first couple of rounds. It could have been a pretty dangerous thing to do if this match had been a bit closer when they had to go off for the rain delay.

why would it be dangerous surely dangerous is for when people's life's are at risk, not a game of tennis getting stopped for a spot of rain

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    why would it be dangerous surely dangerous is for when people's life's are at risk, not a game of tennis getting stopped for a spot of rain
    Wet grass is slippy hence injuries. It can be dangerous without being life threatening.

@hibs.net private member
    Does Schiavone drink from the furry cup?
    Wouldn't bet against it. Bet her knickname is Butch. But wouldn't say anything to her face!

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Wet grass is slippy hence injuries. It can be dangerous without being life threatening.

i should have highlighted the whole sentence, he said it would be dangerous if the scores were closer no mention whatsoever of rain

p.s. the women should get less money just for the annoying screaming some of them do when hitting the ball, wtf is that all about, i'm glad sharapova is out, i can maybe put the sound back on if i'm watching it
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 02-07-2012 at 04:38 PM.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

No he isn't. He's a set up and a break up.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    I was talking about it in terms of them giving Murray every advantage possible to help him win the tournament. If this rain keeps up, he might have to come back tomorrow and then play again on Wednesday in the quarter finals, which is far from ideal.

Meanwhile Federer is safely through and Djokovic is also guaranteed to get finished today and they will both have a day's rest tomorrow.

It could make all the difference.

I was talking about it in terms of them giving Murray every advantage possible to help him win the tournament. If this rain keeps up, he might have to come back tomorrow and then play again on Wednesday in the quarter finals, which is far from ideal.

Meanwhile Federer is safely through and Djokovic is also guaranteed to get finished today and they will both have a day's rest tomorrow.

It could make all the difference.

Which begs the question, Why the hell isn't Murray on centre court under the roof??!!.. Surely to god we look after one of our own and make it as comfortable as possible for him as he progresses through the tournament??..

Probably because she is bang tidy
    Cannae argue with that, shame to see Ivanovic going out for that very reason.

this years winner djokovic just about to start

shame about ivanovic getting emptied :(

sigh

Any chance of them putting Murray onto centre to finish off if the Djokovic match finishes early enough and the rain is still on?

Seems not, ridiculous that they aren't making use of centre court with the roof over - why is it there if not for situations like today? They could get another 3 hrs of play in tonight and instead they're making Murray and others come back tomorrow when there is no guarantee it will be dry then either.
    Last edited by Westie1875; 02-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westie1875 View Post
    Any chance of them putting Murray onto centre to finish off if the Djokovic match finishes early enough and the rain is still on?
    L im staggered Andy isn't on there to begin with!! Aye lets put the world no 1 and favourite for Wimbers on centre court ON A DAY WHEN WE KNEW THE WEATHER WAS GASH!!!! Murray in all likelihood now has to come back tomorrow then play the quarters on Wednesday, Absolute ludicrous...If that's what you call looking after you own then the world has gone mad, Djokovic SHOULD have been on court 1 today.

Seems not, ridiculous that they aren't making use of centre court with the roof over - why is it there if not for situations like today? They could get another 3 hrs of play in tonight and instead they're making Murray and others come back tomorrow when there is no guarantee it will be dry then either.
    Wouldn't really be fair to put Murray on Centre Court now when there's other matches at the same stage as him and others that haven't even started yet.

Tsonga v Fish and Gasquet v Mayer are also only in the second set and Kohlschreiber v Baker and Ferrer v Del Potro haven't even begun.

He should have been scheduled to play on Centre Court from the very beginning today and it's extremely bad planning from the organisers that he wasn't.

Even John Mcenroe is flabbergasted as to why Murray wasn't on centre court.

Cillic was on his knees, Now he has a whole day to regroup and recharge the batteries. I still fully expect Murray to win, But oh boy Wimbledon officials what the hell were you thinking of putting Djokovic on centre court and Murray on court 1..Scandelous decision, Hang your heads in shame.

Murray now if he wants to win will be on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday..

Wouldn't really be fair to put Murray on Centre Court now when there's other matches at the same stage as him and others that haven't even started yet.

Tsonga v Fish and Gasquet v Mayer are also only in the second set and Kohlschreiber v Baker and Ferrer v Del Potro haven't even begun.

He should have been scheduled to play on Centre Court from the very beginning today and it's extremely bad planning from the organisers that he wasn't.
    I don't care if its fair, he is British no.1 and we should be looking after our own. Even if it weren't Murray, to not make use of the 3hrs play they could have had tonight is bonkers when rain is forecast for tomorrow as well.

I don't care if its fair, he is British no.1 and we should be looking after our own. Even if it weren't Murray, to not make use of the 3hrs play they could have had tonight is bonkers when rain is forecast for tomorrow as well.

Spot on.

The forecast for tomorrow is pretty bad but if it keeps raining, they're not going to be able to finish the tournament on Sunday anyway, regardless of the amount of matches they manage to squeeze onto Centre Court under the roof.

There's only 3 players through to the men's quarter finals so far, three of the remaining five matches have at least a set and a half to go and the other two haven't started at all.

They should have scheduled Murray onto Centre Court from the beginning, I don't disagree with that at all. However as soon as it didn't work out that way, they've just got to get on with the weather.

The biggest mistake, after seeing the forecast for this week last Friday or Saturday, was not holding any play yesterday. The weather wasn't great in the London area as I left yesterday but I think play would have been possible for at least a good part of the day and that could have eased the pressure on the organisers for the rest of this week.

The forecast for tomorrow is pretty bad but if it keeps raining, they're not going to be able to finish the tournament on Sunday anyway, regardless of the amount of matches they manage to squeeze onto Centre Court under the roof.

There's only 3 players through to the men's quarter finals so far, three of the remaining five matches have at least a set and a half to go and the other two haven't started at all.

They should have scheduled Murray onto Centre Court from the beginning, I don't disagree with that at all. However as soon as it didn't work out that way, they've just got to get on with the weather.

The biggest mistake, after seeing the forecast for this week last Friday or Saturday, was not holding any play yesterday. The weather wasn't great in the London area as I left yesterday but I think play would have been possible for at least a good part of the day and that could have eased the pressure on the organisers for the rest of this week.

I here what your saying FH, I do, But the fact remains..Andy Murray should have been on centre court today and Djokovic on court 1...They knew the situation regarding the weather..They must have known full bloody well Murray wasn't going to finish his match whilst giving the best player in the world a game under the roof to guarantee his match to completion..I here what your saying I.E other players haven't finished there matches also, But surely to god look after your own, Get Murray through as soon as possible..They also knew Cilic had went 5 sets and 5 hours and was on fumes but have now gave him the chance to come back revitalised.

Like you say the weather may disrupt games in the next few days, But the obvious, The glaringly obvious was to get Andy on and off the court against a beaten Cilic who has just been 5 hours and 5 sets in quick time as possible whilst making Novak come back tomorrow in the rain.

Staggered and dumbfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I here what your saying FH, I do, But the fact remains..Andy Murray should have been on centre court today and Djokovic on court 1...They knew the situation regarding the weather..They must have known full bloody well Murray wasn't going to finish his match whilst giving the best player in the world a game under the roof to guarantee his match to completion..I here what your saying I.E other players haven't finished there matches also, But surely to god look after your own, Get Murray through as soon as possible..They also knew Cilic had went 5 sets and 5 hours and was on fumes but have now gave him the chance to come back revitalised.

Like you say the weather may disrupt games in the next few days, But the obvious, The glaringly obvious was to get Andy on and off the court against a beaten Cilic who has just been 5 hours and 5 sets in quick time as possible whilst making Novak come back tomorrow in the rain.

Staggered and dumbfounded.
    I totally agree with everything that you've just said there Andy!

I just don't agree that, having taken the decision to put Murray on Court 1 today, he should have been put on Centre Court at 8pm tonight to try and finish the match.