hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 2012 Wimbledon

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Shed a tear watching his interview. That was horrible to watch.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well done Fed

Murray just not good enough, as simple as that!
    He wasn't good enough on the day, no disgrace against a living legend.

But before you get too excited it will be a long long time before an Englishman gets to the Wimbledon mens final.

Too many spiffing chaps born with silver spoons in their mouth with mummiy and daddy wiping their botties to provide a winner.

Buster Mottram and Tim Henman to name but two would have been better sticking to croquet or polo.

Until Richard the Lion Heart or St. George comes over the horizon you had better just keep hoping Andy Murray gets beat.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Murray will win slams eventually

I'm convinced off it
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Err he wasn't good enough because he never won................simple really!
    Pity being a tennis player isn't like being a Scouser- you can't blame someone else every time something bad happens!

I suppose 'good enough' is subjective. If you think losing a close game to the worlds greatest ever player in a Grand Slam final isn't 'good enough' then fair enough. I can only guess how you rate the England's football teams performances at every major tournament.

You're not even the 4th best poster on Hibs.net but you can dismiss the 4th best tennis player in the world? What a world we live in eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Murray will win slams eventually

I'm convinced off it
    I'm not too sure to be honest.

Whilst Federer will probably be gone in the next 2 or 3 years, Murray's only a year younger than Nadal and the same age as Djokovic so for as long as he's going to be playing, they are likely to be around as well.

Murray is now 25 years old, obviously in general terms he's still a very young man but in sporting terms, he should be approaching the peak of his career.

Not many players who have won a Grand Slam have waited until their mid 20s to win their first title. He's even older than his mentor, Ivan Lendl, was when he won his first title in 1984.

I think in any other era, he could have won several titles by now but against three of the greatest tennis players in the history of the sport, it's going to be so tough for him to win a major.

He's been in 4 finals now and on 3 of those occasions, he played Roger Federer and the other time he played Novak Djokovic. Both of them had won Grand Slams before.

If he's going to win one, I think he needs to come up against someone in the final who has never won a major. That was something that Federer, Djokovic and Nadal were all fortunate enough to have when they all won their first major and I think it does certainly help.

It's just unfortunate that I really don't see a time any time soon that we will have a Grand Slam final that doesn't feature at least one of the big three.

I'm still fairly confident it'll come for Andy and the reason is that he's already narrowed the gap between him and the big 3. I also think that he is somewhat of a late developer in terms of reaching his peak. Him and Djokovic were pretty even before last season, Rafa I honestly think has peaked already and Federer is in his 30's.

I'll say what I always say though- no matter what, he has nothing to be ashamed of.

Went to Festival sq with my partner to watch it yesterday. She is a huge Murray fan and had a "c'mon andy" t-shirt on. She burst into tears when he lost and the press were all over her. Then Gerry McCulloch from SSN interviewed her and she broke down again. Off out shortly to buy the papers as she was told she'll be in a few of them today.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    He wasn't good enough on the day, no disgrace against a living legend.

But before you get too excited it will be a long long time before an Englishman gets to the Wimbledon mens final.

Too many spiffing chaps born with silver spoons in their mouth with mummiy and daddy wiping their botties to provide a winner.

Buster Mottram and Tim Henman to name but two would have been better sticking to croquet or polo.

Until Richard the Lion Heart or St. George comes over the horizon you had better just keep hoping Andy Murray gets beat.
    Richard was French and St George was from Syria. Neither English. I bet they couldnt play tennis either

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    I'm not too sure to be honest.

Whilst Federer will probably be gone in the next 2 or 3 years, Murray's only a year younger than Nadal and the same age as Djokovic so for as long as he's going to be playing, they are likely to be around as well.

Murray is now 25 years old, obviously in general terms he's still a very young man but in sporting terms, he should be approaching the peak of his career.

Not many players who have won a Grand Slam have waited until their mid 20s to win their first title. He's even older than his mentor, Ivan Lendl, was when he won his first title in 1984.

I think in any other era, he could have won several titles by now but against three of the greatest tennis players in the history of the sport, it's going to be so tough for him to win a major.

He's been in 4 finals now and on 3 of those occasions, he played Roger Federer and the other time he played Novak Djokovic. Both of them had won Grand Slams before.

If he's going to win one, I think he needs to come up against someone in the final who has never won a major. That was something that Federer, Djokovic and Nadal were all fortunate enough to have when they all won their first major and I think it does certainly help.

It's just unfortunate that I really don't see a time any time soon that we will have a Grand Slam final that doesn't feature at least one of the big three.
    That's basically the nub of the matter. I think Murray will get to more and more finals, as Federer ages and maybe one of the other 2 has an off-day/comes up against a once-in-a-lifetime performance a la Rosol, but Murray will almost certainly have to play one of those 3 in any given GS final, and - if his opponent turns up and plays to their best, as they almost always do in GS finals - I think whoever he is facing will always have that little bit extra, be it mental, physical or talent-wise.

Hope I'm wrong mind.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xoROOSKYox
    Err he wasn't good enough because he never won................simple really!
    Not really! Killie beat Celtic in the CIS Cup Final... So, you're telling me that Celtic are not good enough to beat Killie?

Quote Originally Posted by 500 miles View Post
    Not really! Killie beat Celtic in the CIS Cup Final... So, you're telling me that Celtic are not good enough to beat Killie?
    On that day, in that final, when it really mattered, they weren't good enough.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500 miles View Post

Haha that's brilliant! They weren't good enough on the day were they? Not to be confused with Murray who just isn't good enough no matter what day it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    Went to Festival sq with my partner to watch it yesterday. She is a huge Murray fan and had a "c'mon andy" t-shirt on. She burst into tears when he lost and the press were all over her. Then Gerry McCulloch from SSN interviewed her and she broke down again. Off out shortly to buy the papers as she was told she'll be in a few of them today.
    It would appear that ur bird is featured in todays EN, nae name check tho!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Richard was French and St George was from Syria. Neither English. I bet they couldnt play tennis either
    I take it your not at the lash.

I genuinely thought they were both English.

They must have qualified through the grandparent rule I take it

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    It would appear that ur bird is featured in todays EN, nae name check tho!
    Aye she was on page 3 of the record, also in the Scotsman and Metro. She's more excited about the record online as its a pic of Murray, his girlfriend, then her. She is tennis mad so , despite his defeat, is secretly happy she is on the same page as Murray.