hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to boycott the grounds of clubs who vote "yes" to a newco?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

179 93.23%
  • No

13 6.77%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Boycott clubs that vote "yes" to a newco Rangers? (merged)

So many twists and turns, whatever the outcome, we are all going to be hit somehow:

Published on Thursday 14th June, 2012 by Celtic Trust
    So what now?

Through all the long months of administration from which the huns have, this morning, exited into liquidation, many organisations and individuals have tried to get clarity on what may happen if a new company is formed which seeks to take on the huns' mantle. The word Newco has become so ubiquitous that it no longer requires any explanation and, I am sure, will appear in the Oxford English Dictionary list of new words in the near future.

Now that the only avenue for those who seek to continue the 'long and proud tradition' of the now defunct R@ngers FC is to form a Newco (indeed one is already formed) then the question of how this Newco will be treated by the footballing authorities is really the only question on the minds of most supporters of football in Scotland.

On the basis that the assets of the RFC (including the name, the team, the ground, the training ground and the SPL share] are bought by Charles Green or, say Walter Smith for example, then we can assume that they intend to field a team in either the SPL or the SFL.

The Celtic Trust, along with other Celtic supporters' organisations and the supporters of other SPL clubs have, both in writing and in person, tried to get some clear answers to questions which relate to how this would come about (see details of our meetings and correspondence with the SPL and the SFA respectively].

On the basis of this, our understanding is that the SPL Clubs will be asked, on 29 June or shortly thereafter, to agree to register the the transfer of the SPL share to the new owners. This is the point where each Club in the SPL will finally have to decide whether they are in favour of sporting integrity or not. It really is as simple as that.

All of the other issues regarding the EBTs, the tax case, the dual contracts, sanctions for taking the SFA to court etc are dead - they died this morning along with R@ngers FC - albeit that the directors of the former company can be investigated by the liquidators. In terms of football, the only issue now is how the Newco (which carries no debt, no sanctions, no threat of punishment) will be treated. It can't play in Europe for three years at least since it has to have three years worth of accounts. So it all boils down to this:

Will the SPL Clubs agree to the registration of the share transfer ie let a Newco into the SPL?
    Will the SFA licence a Newco to play in the SPL?

Which we can boil down still further to:

Will the Scottish football authorities and the member clubs in Scotland defend the integrity of the game or not?

Many supporters' organisations of Celtic and other Clubs have already gone on record with their views on this matter, but at the risk of repeating ourselves or labouring the point, we will restate the Trust view here.

If any SPL Club votes for an automatic reentry into the SPL of a Newco R@ngers then we will immediately enter into discussions with other Celtic supporters' organisations and the wider Celtic support to decide the precise form of the economic sanctions that we will impose on that Club or Clubs.

http://www.celtictrust.net/index.php?func=d_home_article&id=377

2. Log in to remove the advert

Whilst I am no lover of Celtic, this strikes me as a good thing. Makes the choice for the waverer clubs simple:

A) Vote Huns out. Pluses = keep Celtic travelling support income, keep home fans happy/income, moral high ground/sporting integrity maintained. Negatives = lose Huns travelling support income (but partially offset by replacement team's travelling support).

B) Vote Huns in. Pluses = keep Huns travelling support income. Negatives = lose Celtic's travelling support income. Unhappy home fans/less income from home fans. Moral high ground/sporting integrity down the toilet.

Decision seems pretty straightforward to me....

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Offside Trap View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whilst I am no lover of Celtic, this strikes me as a good thing. Makes the choice for the waverer clubs simple:

A) Vote Huns out. Pluses = keep Celtic travelling support income, keep home fans happy/income, moral high ground/sporting integrity maintained. Negatives = lose Huns travelling support income (but partially offset by replacement team's travelling support).

B) Vote Huns in. Pluses = keep Huns travelling support income. Negatives = lose Celtic's travelling support income. Unhappy home fans/less income from home fans. Moral high ground/sporting integrity down the toilet.

I agree with that, its a no brainer in my opinion.

They were doing so well before trotting out the ridiculously self-indulgent 'economic sanctions' line. Akin to NATO or the UN clearly.

Could just be that Celtic are the only other team where the media will not just simply sweep fans views under the carpet, it was quite a re-assuring read and as BH says a no brainer for sure.

Does that include their own team?

I do however agree with them 100% and urge Hibs fans to do the same

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Can they no just both **** off?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by rosscarnie View Post
    Does that include their own team?

I do however agree with them 100% and urge Hibs fans to do the same
    I agree.

I don't buy that Celtic will say no. There are a range of interests where the Old Firm act as one, not least of which the relationship with their main sponsors.

They know that the Old Firm itself is a product and taking that away, even for a spell, will have huge implications for them.

By the way, for this, and saftety reasons I don't think the votes will be disclosed.

people are saying we will be without match day income, but do we not spend more on match days when they are here anyway. more police security etc so if it's Dundee or whoever the need for these extra police etc will not be needed saving the club money?

Quote Originally Posted by BouncerRoss View Post
    So many twists and turns, whatever the outcome, we are all going to be hit somehow:

Published on Thursday 14th June, 2012 by Celtic Trust
    So what now?

Through all the long months of administration from which the huns have, this morning, exited into liquidation, many organisations and individuals have tried to get clarity on what may happen if a new company is formed which seeks to take on the huns' mantle. The word Newco has become so ubiquitous that it no longer requires any explanation and, I am sure, will appear in the Oxford English Dictionary list of new words in the near future.

Now that the only avenue for those who seek to continue the 'long and proud tradition' of the now defunct R@ngers FC is to form a Newco (indeed one is already formed) then the question of how this Newco will be treated by the footballing authorities is really the only question on the minds of most supporters of football in Scotland.

On the basis that the assets of the RFC (including the name, the team, the ground, the training ground and the SPL share] are bought by Charles Green or, say Walter Smith for example, then we can assume that they intend to field a team in either the SPL or the SFL.

The Celtic Trust, along with other Celtic supporters' organisations and the supporters of other SPL clubs have, both in writing and in person, tried to get some clear answers to questions which relate to how this would come about (see details of our meetings and correspondence with the SPL and the SFA respectively].

On the basis of this, our understanding is that the SPL Clubs will be asked, on 29 June or shortly thereafter, to agree to register the the transfer of the SPL share to the new owners. This is the point where each Club in the SPL will finally have to decide whether they are in favour of sporting integrity or not. It really is as simple as that.

All of the other issues regarding the EBTs, the tax case, the dual contracts, sanctions for taking the SFA to court etc are dead - they died this morning along with R@ngers FC - albeit that the directors of the former company can be investigated by the liquidators. In terms of football, the only issue now is how the Newco (which carries no debt, no sanctions, no threat of punishment) will be treated. It can't play in Europe for three years at least since it has to have three years worth of accounts. So it all boils down to this:

Will the SPL Clubs agree to the registration of the share transfer ie let a Newco into the SPL?
    Will the SFA licence a Newco to play in the SPL?

Which we can boil down still further to:

Will the Scottish football authorities and the member clubs in Scotland defend the integrity of the game or not?

Many supporters' organisations of Celtic and other Clubs have already gone on record with their views on this matter, but at the risk of repeating ourselves or labouring the point, we will restate the Trust view here.

If any SPL Club votes for an automatic reentry into the SPL of a Newco R@ngers then we will immediately enter into discussions with other Celtic supporters' organisations and the wider Celtic support to decide the precise form of the economic sanctions that we will impose on that Club or Clubs.

http://www.celtictrust.net/index.php?func=d_home_article&id=377
    while I am sure the majority of Scottish football fans would agree with most of this the last paragraph is the very reason the "also rans" need to get this one right.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I agree.

I don't buy that Celtic will say no. There are a range of interests where the Old Firm act as one, not least of which the relationship with their main sponsors.

They know that the Old Firm itself is a product and taking that away, even for a spell, will have huge implications for them.

By the way, for this, and saftety reasons I don't think the votes will be disclosed.
    I think they would be petrified of their fans reaction if they did.

Testimonial Due
    This just makes the decision tougher

On the one hand we can vote no & not have to look at the huns fans ugly mugs
    On the other we could vote yes and (hopefully) not have to look at the Celtic fans likewise ugly mugs

It's a toughie I tell you......

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    They were doing so well before trotting out the ridiculously self-indulgent 'economic sanctions' line. Akin to NATO or the UN clearly.
    I agree - sanctimonious claptrap.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    I agree - sanctimonious claptrap.
    I presume we are looking at naval blockades and no fly zones over large parts of Scotland?

Perhaps Glasgow's East End will stop sending food packages to Edinburgh and Perth?

We shouldn't be looking for any negatives in this message...this is a good thing and strengthens the argument for voting "no".

They're on our side. Good on them.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I presume we are looking at naval blockades and no fly zones over large parts of Scotland?

Perhaps Glasgow's East End will stop sending food packages to Edinburgh and Perth?
    Perhaps these sanctions will include an end to various fringe benifits of going to Parkhead, such as the ever popular "watch yer car, mister" scheme or the even better Ł5 car parks which are actually just the public highway anyway?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    We shouldn't be looking for any negatives in this message...this is a good thing and strengthens the argument for voting "no".

They're on our side. Good on them.
    Yes we know that what they are saying is right and most of us no doubt agree with what is said, however the last paragraph is just laughable to be honest.

Why not just say that the Celtic trust will endeavour to boycott the grounds of the SPL clubs who vote yes?

Instead he trumpets on about "economic sanctions", who does he think he is exactly? David Cameron? Or more likely Hilary Clinton.

100% behind their (and our) no campaign though.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab

THis part doesnt really stand up though. They have already agreed to boycott our ground and anyone elses that has spoken out against them.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbySpurs View Post
    Yes we know that what they are saying is right and most of us no doubt agree with what is said, however the last paragraph is just laughable to be honest.

Why not just say that the Celtic trust will endeavour to boycott the grounds of the SPL clubs who vote yes?

Instead he trumpets on about "economic sanctions", who does he think he is exactly? David Cameron? Or more likely Hilary Clinton.

100% behind their (and our) no campaign though.
    It does rather illustrate what we'd be left with regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post
    THis part doesnt really stand up though. They have already agreed to boycott our ground and anyone elses that has spoken out against them.
    Agreed they have said this but choice B in my post is setting what happens if a club votes in favour of Huns...ie that club WOULD still have the honour of ra peeepul gracing your home ground with their presence and general bonhomie.

@hibs.net private member norwayhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Can they no just both **** off?
    This

Clubs who intend to vote yes will no change their mind because of a threat of a boycott from Celtic. My reasoning is that it's the difference between definitely not having Rangers paying supporters and maybe not but probably having the Celtic paying supporters. What they say they will do and what happens as the season progresses and their fans have to get behind their team may be two different things. Can you really see them not going to Ibrox to support Celtic, no danger, they will be there.

On another note I can't see how McCoist can stay at Rangers under the new regime. He would have to have a level of trust in them that no one else in Scotland could possibly imagine credible.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    I don't see why people are criticising the Celtic fans for this they have merely presented their own potential actions against other SPL clubs in a dignified manner. Of course they were going to say things such as economic sanctions instead of 'we're not coming to your ground so you won't make money' as it sounds more professional.

Anyway, this is what the media will want to hear, they can start mixing everything up. Traynor and his band of blue waffles will love this to be added into the mix as they scream out that they are being victimised by their rivals, as they have done constantly. Hibs are not much of a threat with regards to boycotting Inverness away, despite taking up a great bunch and a good number of supporters, whereas Celtic will pose a huge threat to them not coming up. This is the same for Kilmarnock, Motherwell and any other club planning a yes vote.

It is time for the fans of all clubs to stick together and put pressure on all the boards, in the end we all want the same goal of seeing The Rangers Football Club punted to the 3rd division of the SFL.

One thing about the Jungle Jims. They hang together.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Typical self indulgent nonsense from Celtc. They obviously don't catch on to the fact that main benefit of the lack of our ground being contaminated by Rangers fans is the absence of sectarianism. Until they can promise the same, they are just as unwelcome.

I know its the 'done thing' for us to be scathing about Celtc at every opportunity (usually inserting that classic Both Cheeks of The Same ErseŠ cliche), but FFS i cant see anything wrong with that statement. In fact its excellent and i wish something so articulate could come from our representatives once in
    while.

'economic sanctions' is a completely appropriate phrase to use.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Just more of the same from both Rangers and Celtic, Rangers unhappy, they get out and march, Celtic unhappy, we'll issues threats to everyone else on repurcussions. Red nose day, Celtic have a green nose day and Rangers a blue. They are so f***n self inflated it's not true. Try playing matches against no opposition, just get them out of the league and see how far they get.

I want us to vote against any newco getting straight in, but if the vote goes the way the majority of the folks on here seem to want, all we'll hear is how it was the Celtic fans that made sure it happened. Once again re-writing the history of Scottish Football....

Left by mutual consent!

HKHibby

And Celtic would really know about the moral high ground?...half of their support couldnt even spell moral!...let alone know what it means

We should be doing something similar. This is fans fighting fire with fire yet some still moan because it's celtic. We should forget who it is and ALL jump on this bandwagon and get something organised and quickly. Nearly every SPL club would be up for this and once confirmed, we should communicate our intentions to every member club.

This is a chance to send the message that fans rule the game...not TV. You'll lose just as much money by voting yes so what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by HKhibby View Post
    And Celtic would really know about the moral high ground?...half of their support couldnt even spell moral!...let alone know what it means
    So what. Do you want the same thing they want.