hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Wotherspoon to Sheffield Utd (EEN)

Apparently has a picture of the new kit, and news of an English club being interested in one of our players. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 09-06-2012 at 07:16 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wotherspoon to Sheff Utd?

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently has a picture of the new kit, and news of an English club being interested in one of our players. Any ideas?
    Sure I read on here yesterday that Sheffield united were sniffing about wotherspoon

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Willis1875 View Post
    Sure I read on here yesterday that Sheffield united were sniffing about wotherspoon
    My car has a full tank and ready to go....

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Too late I'm already half way there!

I am prepared to cough up half the petrol money!

Blog Entries
    Hanlon? Has continued to be a stand out with Scotland as Captain of U21's and had a very good end to season beside a player that he had confidence in.

Fulham did have scouts up a couple of times apparently

It might explain why we are being linked with several CH's ?

I hope not as we will look back in years to come when he has gone on to bigger and better and wish we had had him longer

That's the hibees spirit!! We have some great fans that fill our team with confidence!!!

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    Hanlon? Has continued to be a stand out with Scotland as Captain of U21's and had a very good end to season beside a player that he had confidence in.

I hope not as we will look back in years to come when he has gone on to bigger and better and wish we had had him longer
    That was my immediate guess as well. Totally agree that he could be one of those that moves onto bigger things

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Or the player actually being looked at is Wotherspoon,
    and the manager disagree's with you, thinks Hanlon has been poor and wants a replacement central defender to play alongside McPake if he can get him too?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Or the manager disagree's with you, thinks Hanlon has been poor and wants a replacement central defender to play alongside McPake if he can get him too.

And the player actually being looked at is Wotherspoon?
    I think you will find he played more games than any other player this past season - over 120 in 3 years with different managers. Still you may be right

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Or the manager disagree's with you, thinks Hanlon has been poor and wants a replacement central defender to play alongside McPake if he can get him too.

And the player actually being looked at is Wotherspoon?
    I think you will find he played more games than any other player this past season - over 120 in 3 years with different managers. Still you may be right

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I like Wotherspoon, hope for his sake that he gets a move and proves numpties on here wrong.

Yes i think i am. Personally I have a funny feeling we will be seeing Hanlon at left back next season.

Testimonial Due
    I actually think Wotherspoon is a very good young player. He's only 22 and has already chalked up over 100 appearances for Hibs. He's been a little unfortunate to have played with a poor side and he's had to play in a number of different roles all over the park but, make no mistake, he's a very good player. Those who want to drive him to Sheffield, careful what you wish for, he could easily be replaced with some journeyman dud with half the ability and none of the potential.

As for Hanlon, it's a similar story. He's young and, yes, he makes some mistakes but overall, he's a good player. I think he'll end up in the English Premiership, personally. I see him in the Gary Caldwell mould. Mind you, Caldwell wasn't good enough for Hibs either, was he?

Its a shame the way folk are talking about Wotherspoon. It looked at one time as though he was going to be a big player for us, but its true that over the last few seasons he has failed to improve.

The question is, how much of an influence has playing in a series of crap teams been on his lack of developement. It cant have helped him and so if he does leave I for one would wish him all the luck in the world and hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by justlikebrazil View Post
    That's the hibees spirit!! We have some great fans that fill our team with confidence!!!
    I've supported more poor players on here than I care to remember, however, for whatever reason it's just not working out for Wotherspoon here. He has some talent but I think can go down as one of those with a weak attitude.

If anyone wants to take him and get more out of him then great, it gives us another space to get the type of players we currently need.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I like Wotherspoon, hope for his sake that he gets a move and proves numpties on here wrong.
    I think he's got something but I also believe he's gone backwards these last 2 years.

Seems to have lost a lot of pace which was a big part of his game. Could it attributed to the fact that he has obviously been bulking up more in training and is less focused on pace?

I've supported more poor players on here than I care to remember, however
    I can vouch for that. Your championing of Alan O'Brien when it was blatantly obvious to every other Hibs fan that we'd be better off with richard o'brien on the wing is the stuff of legend

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by justlikebrazil View Post
    If a player isn't very good, should people lie and just say that he is?? I thought forums were for giving opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I can vouch for that. Your championing of Alan O'Brien when it was blatantly obvious to every other Hibs fan that we'd be better off with richard o'brien on the wing is the stuff of legend

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CMac1988 View Post
    I think he's got something but I also believe he's gone backwards these last 2 years.

Seems to have lost a lot of pace which was a big part of his game. Could it attributed to the fact that he has obviously been bulking up more in training and is less focused on pace?
    I actually think Yogi burned him out by playing him in nearly every game in his first season with the first team. He certainly looks like he's running through treacle these days, so you could be right on the bulk over pace thing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    I thought forums were for giving opinions.
    They are but you're not obliged to.

What the numpties that have watched him put in piss poor performances for the last 2 year.

If he didn't come through the ranks he would have been hounded out long before this. Don't forget sentiments aside, we have paid his wages for the last 2 years and had nothing in return. We don't have the luxury of wasting wages on players like this these days.

Let him go, wish him well and hope he can kick start his career.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dwlt View Post
    I actually think Yogi burned him out by playing him in nearly every game in his first season with the first team. He certainly looks like he's running through treacle these days, so you could be right on the bulk over pace thing too.
    He played his best football then, and was actually taken out the team at the later end of that season.

I'm sure his legs have recovered now though.

Burnt out by 30 games in a year at 19 or 20, I would hope not.

Very true!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    What the numpties that have watched him put in piss poor performances for the last 2 year.
    Yep. Those ones.

Testimonial Due
    If we can get 100 or 200k for Wothers it would be a right result. His career has stalled at Hibs so a move would be the best for both parties.
    Stick the usual clause or two in there so we benefit if he does produce the goods and move on but I wouldn't hold my breath.

When he first came into the team I thought he was our next big thing too..............

Re Wotherspoon, I think we need to ask ourselves how does a player that looked very promising in his first few matches - scores against St.Mirren and has great shots against Celtic and Hertz producing world class saves - then over time becomes a poor player.

Is it because of the negativity from the stands and/or the coaching staff? I certainly would not like to play in such a negative atmosphere and the opposition managers know this! Who will be the next to suffer?

Is it down to the player. He obviously had the talent when first introduced to the team, but then that talent deteriorates. Is he trying hard enough? He did look slow and unfit during the past season. Is he carrying an injury? Is this affecting his confidence? Why does he constantly overhit crosses / free kicks, surely a professional player should be able to do this better.

I don't know the answer to these questions, but what I see is a shadow of the player from three years ago. I really hope the real David Wotherspoon starts delivering soon, whether that is at ER or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Re Wotherspoon, I think we need to ask ourselves how does a player that looked very promising in his first few matches - scores against St.Mirren and has great shots against Celtic and Hertz producing world class saves - then over time becomes a poor player.

Is it because of the negativity from the stands and/or the coaching staff? I certainly would not like to play in such a negative atmosphere and the opposition managers know this! Who will be the next to suffer?

Is it down to the player. He obviously had the talent when first introduced to the team, but then that talent deteriorates. Is he trying hard enough? He did look slow and unfit during the past season. Is he carrying an injury? Is this affecting his confidence? Why does he constantly overhit crosses / free kicks, surely a professional player should be able to do this better.

I don't know the answer to these questions, but what I see is a shadow of the player from three years ago. I really hope the real David Wotherspoon starts delivering soon, whether that is at ER or elsewhere.
    Or is it he's just not progressed as we all hoped he would?