hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Would you consider changing the clubs colours?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

171 68.40%
  • YES, £50m should be enough....

29 11.60%
  • YES, at least £100m would be needed....

38 15.20%
  • YES, as long as we get the helipad on the roof of the West Stand I'll be happy.....

12 4.80%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Club Colour Change

I see Cardiff City are pressing ahead with plans to change the club colours and badge.

It seems that fan opposition to the move cooled after the scale of the investment was made known to them. The owners are going to invest £100m in the club in expanding the stadium, building training facilities and clearing debt.

The question is, would you consider a club colour change and if so, what sort of level of investment would it take to convince you?

For the record, I think the clubs colours and history are what makes a club great and changing the colours for money is IMHO a step too far, I could accept a stadium sponsorship, or a badge alteration, but the green and white is part of us and art of our history, so it wouldn't sit well with me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    As much as I'd like £100m we can't trade everything about our history in for riches. Clubs in the English leagues seem all too happy to disregard their fans and the history of the club for money (Cardiff colour change, Chelsea move from Stamford Bridge saga etc) and it is not what it is about. If someone offered me £100m to change Hibs from green and white to red to break the Asian market I'd tell them to **** off.

It's an interesting one. I think most of us have the automatic reaction against it but then again we changed from all green to the white sleeves roughly half way through our history and have had a fair few badges. Lots of clubs have had historical colour changes, even some fairly recent ones:

Dundee Hibernian founded 1909, played in green, became Dundee United in 1923, playing in white and finally changed to tangerine in 1967. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I've supported Hibs playing in Green, black, purple, yellow, fluorescent lemon and any combination of the above.

It wouldn't bother me if we changed colour, but I'm certain I'll be in the miinority.

There's nowt as conservative as a football fan.

On a side note, I've always fancied a dark blue top with green sleeves.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see Cardiff City are pressing ahead with plans to change the club colours and badge.

It seems that fan opposition to the move cooled after the scale of the investment was made known to them. The owners are going to invest £100m in the club in expanding the stadium, building training facilities and clearing debt.

The question is, would you consider a club colour change and if so, what sort of level of investment would it take to convince you?

For the record, I think the clubs colours and history are what makes a club great and changing the colours for money is IMHO a step too far, I could accept a stadium sponsorship, or a badge alteration, but the green and white is part of us and art of our history, so it wouldn't sit well with me.
    I'd never set foot inside the place again. Be just aswell changing team if trophies and success is your thing as everything the club has stood for and stands for is vanished.

disgraceful folk would actually consider erasing 100+ years of history to play in the most over rated league in history. Against modern football eh...

Your hardcore would form a new club leaving just the clueless dafties, exactly what happend to that Red Bull mob in Austria.
    Last edited by MSK; 06-06-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Swear filter

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I voted yes, like the radge i have watched hibs in many different colours, and to be fair i'm pretty fed up with green and white anyway.

As long as it looked decent with a pair of jeans, i'm not too fussed what colour we have.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    I'd never set foot inside the place again. Be just aswell changing team if trophies and success is your thing as everything the club has stood for and stands for is vanished.

disgraceful folk would actually consider erasing 100+ years of history to play in the most over rated league in history. Against modern football eh...

Your hardcore would form a new club leaving just the clueless dafties, exactly what happend to that Red Bull mob in Austria.
    How exactly is their history being erased? Just by changing colours?
    Last edited by MSK; 06-06-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Quote edited

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post

Is the money a loan?

NO chance. Can you imagine Man Utd in red or Newcastle without the stripes.

right so you've sold the stadium, the stadium name, the badge, the colours what now.

They'll be changing the name next.

Football fan is number1 right enough

I'm curious as to the commercial opportunities that will be opened by changing to red. I know the Asian market was mentioned but I'd imagine it will take a hell of a lot more than a.switch to red strips to get folk in Asia throwing away the Man Utd, Arsenal, Real Madrid etc strips and reaching for the Cardiff ones.

For me I'd be happy to see Hibs explore most commercial opportunities, stadium sponsor, extra sponsors on strips, renaming stands etc but the strip should stay green.

I voted no. It's immaterial anyway as nobody with a sound mind would even invest a couple of million quid in Hibs or Scottish football right now.

That new proposed badge for Cardiff looks daft.

I voted no.

Apart from anything else the football world is awash with red and blue clubs. Its nice to support a club which doesnt wear the same colours as 80% of the rest.

For the fashionistas out there, green looks good with jeans anyway .. why change.

£100,000,000 would be nice though

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    How exactly is their history being erased? Just by changing colours?
    They're changing their colours of 100 years and changing the main aspect of their crest for nothing more than commercial reasons. Any Cardiff fan that doesn't oppose this is a sellout c***.

@hibs.net private member
    Disgrace and Cardiff City fans should be doing everything they can to stop this.

Modern football as its best.

FMF.

No, No, No.

Besides, I'd have to get my tattoo re coloured

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz1875 View Post
    NO chance. Can you imagine Man Utd in red or Newcastle without the stripes.

right so you've sold the stadium, the stadium name, the badge, the colours what now.

They'll be changing the name next.

Football fan is number1 right enough
    Yes, I can quite clearly.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I voted yes for £100 million.

I would spend the money rapid and then change back to green and white.

Simples eh.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    its one thing to have an away kit in different colours but to change the home kits colours is a total mockery of the history and tradition of the club. Cardiff should be ashamed for selling their soul for a few bucks.

Surely be changing their nickname as well? Though I notice they'll still have the bluebird in the badge you've got to wonder why as it was only included as they played in blue (the bluebird not being native to the British Isles).
    Last edited by Geo_1875; 06-06-2012 at 11:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Can anybody explain why Cardiff think that changing their colours from blue to red will make them more successful I can see how a £100m investment might make them more successful, but changing colours????? It just seems like a pointless argument. I assume they want to break into the English Premier League with this investment, if so have they not noticed that Manchester City and Chelsea play in blue and are the two most successful teams last season. Welsh bams!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Can anybody explain why Cardiff think that changing their colours from blue to red will make them more successful I can see how a £100m investment might make them more successful, but changing colours????? It just seems like a pointless argument. I assume they want to break into the English Premier League with this investment, if so have they not noticed that Manchester City and Chelsea play in blue and are the two most successful teams last season. Welsh bams!
    Is it not to do with the colour their sponsor uses?

Coaching Staff
    So long as the strip had three stripes on it or a wee shooshy thing, would anyone care?

We'd never see the like of cash again so .. it has to be a yes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Is it not to do with the colour their sponsor uses?
    Oh I see it's a case of change your colours to our corporate colour or no cash!! Like Red Bull do when they take over a club! Sell outs!!!!!

Green and white are the only colours I have ever known for home strips....Would be appalled if we changed colours, 2nd and 3rd kits dont bother me but home strips must be green and white, anything else is sacriledge
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Green and white are the only colours I have ever known for home strips....Would be appalled if we changed colours, 2nd and 3rd kits dont bother me but home strips must be green and white, anything else is sacriledge
    Agree Hibs are green & white, would not be opposed to changing the green body with white sleeve design but as long as the home colours are green & white it would be ok with me. Second strips I don't care what colour

What if they released the hibs home kit as normal, but never wore it? They release the new colours as the away kit, but only ever wear that, or a 3rd kit with a variation of the new colours? Would that be more acceptable?

It would mean the club colours are still officially the same, but commercially the new colours get all the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    What if they released the hibs home kit as normal, but never wore it? They release the new colours as the away kit, but only ever wear that, or a 3rd kit with a variation of the new colours? Would that be more acceptable?

It would mean the club colours are still officially the same, but commercially the new colours get all the exposure.
    Still a no from me Bernz, hibs at home should always wear the green and white
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    We're "Hibernian FC" and we play in "green and white".

First Team Breakthrough muzzhfc's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: muzz-a-bear
    no.