hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2012 golf season

Can't see a current thread, so if there is one point me in the right direction.

How everyone's season going so far?

Played yesterday for the first time in months. I had played 6 holes since September so wasn't expecting much. Last 2 days have been a mixed bag. Some really good shots but the odd lack of concentration, and the short game needs to be better. Decent start though, although i have started too late and missed the CC qualifiers. :(

Course is shut next weekend too for the Curtis Cup which is a bit annoying, but will get more golf during the week.

Tbh i did not have motivation to play so far this year, but this weekend has really got me back in the mood!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I've played one round since the turn of the year, at the .net Carrick outing and the less said about that round, the better.

Supposed to be playing another round at Inverurie a week on Tuesday, but will probably decline the invite.

Just not happening this year - no time!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Played plenty. Handicap is about where I started. Very frustrating. Hitting it not great but putting well.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Very frustrating for me so far.

Can't get out to practice enough and it shows.

Then to top it all I go and cut my hand 2 days before club championship weekend - couldn't grip the club properly and started my round yesterday with double bogey, bogey, double bogey then a 14!!!!!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Then to top it all I go and cut my hand 2 days before club championship weekend - couldn't grip the club properly and started my round yesterday with double bogey, bogey, double bogey then a 14!!!!!!!
    It's all downhill from there!

Literally, back to the clubhouse!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

A round to forget then.

I remember last year in my last ever junior open, i counted the lad i was playing with as a 17 on one hole, he was crying and his dad came over and said "what did you get" and he went "5"........ I couldn't believe what i was hearing. It was at a course very familiar to a .net golfer.

Tonight i walked off the 6th and a Chinese couple were teeing up on the 7th, after finally persuading them they had mucked up, they worked out that they had played the 4th, 5th and then 4th again. How thick can you be?

A few over the wall at 4 Dave?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    A few over the wall at 4 Dave?
    2 over the wall

2 into unplayable spots in the bushes

Best of it was after 12 I was still about 120 yards away and stuck a wedge to six inches
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2 over the wall

2 into unplayable spots in the bushes

Best of it was after 12 I was still about 120 yards away and stuck a wedge to six inches

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    This won't give you much encouragement for the Silloth next week, Lex, but I had a nightmare on Saturday too.

Whatever you do, stay out of the heavy rough. It's evil.

I hit right at 13 and, having sent my provisional out of bounds, I miraculously found my first ball in deep bundai, but took 4 blows to get it back out onto the fairway. Then, knackered after my fight with the jungle, I topped it into the greenside bunker. I set up perfectly to escape from the deep trap and expertly thinned it into the ***** at the back of the green.

Two more wrist breaking hacks followed by two exhausted putts = 12.

Feeling proud of myself that i'd persevered instead of just taking an NR, I hit left, right, left, right before knocking the ball to 8 feet on the 14th. I just missed the putt, leaving it 6 inches behind the hole.

Resigned to another 0.1 on the handicap, I reached across the hole, to tap the ball back towards me and into the hole. Unfortunately, my evil twin appeared again, and I missed the putt and hit both my feet when it came past the hole.

Picked up, laughing! .

So, you better bring your "A" game on the 16th!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I've been playing plenty of golf but it's mainly been of the "very poor" variety so far this season.

I've just had a video lesson, and to be quite honest, it frightened the life out of me as at the address position I looked like quasibloodymodo! It was not a thing of beauty and it ain't fit for public viewing prior to the 9 o'clock watershed.

However at least the faults have been identified so it's up to me to put the theories into practice.

I'll be back - you can bet on it!

Golf's been my usual rubbish, back to the Carrick tomorrow, to try and improve on my last round there.

Played plenty golf but the handicap is just stuck.

Ball striking with the irons is brilliant, pitching and chipping is good. However I'm so erratic of the tee It's unreal and my putting has been nothing short of embarrassing. Had a 3 putts from inside 4 foot at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This won't give you much encouragement for the Silloth next week, Lex, but I had a nightmare on Saturday too.

Whatever you do, stay out of the heavy rough. It's evil.

I hit right at 13 and, having sent my provisional out of bounds, I miraculously found my first ball in deep bundai, but took 4 blows to get it back out onto the fairway. Then, knackered after my fight with the jungle, I topped it into the greenside bunker. I set up perfectly to escape from the deep trap and expertly thinned it into the ***** at the back of the green.

Two more wrist breaking hacks followed by two exhausted putts = 12.

Feeling proud of myself that i'd persevered instead of just taking an NR, I hit left, right, left, right before knocking the ball to 8 feet on the 14th. I just missed the putt, leaving it 6 inches behind the hole.

Resigned to another 0.1 on the handicap, I reached across the hole, to tap the ball back towards me and into the hole. Unfortunately, my evil twin appeared again, and I missed the putt and hit both my feet when it came past the hole.

Picked up, laughing! .

So, you better bring your "A" game on the 16th!
    I am nearly pishing myself here Dave.

Having reread this thread. I am feeling rather positive about my game.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    I'm playing what must be the worst golf of my life, I've went up in every medal bar one. Dinnae get it at all, three weeks ago I hit a 75, 77 and 78 in the same week. Now I'm struggling to break 90! Club champion this weekend, I've got nae chance :(
    Dave's tales have cheered me up though :)

Edit: been trying to get in touch Radge but your inbox is full ;)
    Last edited by I'm_cabbaged; 05-06-2012 at 08:32 PM.

I think a lot of us are still suffering from post cup final trauma and it's having an adverse effect on our golf swings.

(I've never used that excuse before)

Gamer IDs

The misery continues for me - papped out the summer singles 8 & 7.

Played like I'd never held a club before.

I think I need to take a break

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    The misery continues for me - papped out the summer singles 8 & 7.

Played like I'd never held a club before.

I think I need to take a break
    Tell me about it, just in from a medal and scored 21 stableford points!!
    Can't do a thing right from the tee to hole :(

Cannae seem to get it round without at least one double or a treble on ma card. one of each tonight and miss buffer by one shot. most frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Cannae seem to get it round without at least one double or a treble on ma card. one of each tonight and miss buffer by one shot. most frustrating.
    I'm still dining out on my eagle at the Carrick when we were out together it's been pitiful since then.

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    I'm still dining out on my eagle at the Carrick when we were out together it's been pitiful since then.
    Nearest I've ever seen to an Albatross in the flesh.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Thanks to I'm Cabbaged for taking me and my mate John, round Liberton this afternoon.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, although my golf wasn't at its best, and Willie's hospitality was first class.

I'm looking forward to playing there again in the Silloth in July.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Played well April, poor May and June has been indifferent. In last 8 of one comp (only entered two).

Leading my eclectic with my Sunday crew (16 of us) by 3, and the best nett 6 scores by 1 shot!

Still not clicking in all departments - the last two putting displays have been poor by my standards.

Royal Musselburgh on Thursday in the Captains/Secys Belhaven Qualifier - two ball betterball with top 8 into national final at Pollok in September.

Things are looking up again after a poor run of form. I shot 68-4=64 today in a monthly medal. The wee bassa is back!!

My golf is frustrating at the moment, but unlike previous years i know what i am doing wrong, so not as depressed as previous years.

When on the tee, or on the fairway, just hitting it i am striking it great, really well. But as soon as there is trouble left/right or i have folk watching, i am trying too hard to guide the ball, and having a lazy swing meaning a bad slice. Just need to keep playing and get the confidence up, going all right though having not played much at all this year. Might play a medal soon though, then we'll see how it's really going.

Lost a foursomes match 2&1 the other night BUT actually played very well, just a pity about my partner.

Spoke to the club pro regarding my driving as that was what was causing me major problems, he made a few wee adjustments to my stance and touch wood it seems to have worked. Also holed a few decent putts from 6 to 8 feet which were the ones that had been absolutely killing my game. Still striking the irons very well.

Hopefully now that the confidence is returning I can start getting the handicap going in the right direction again.

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Played well April, poor May and June has been indifferent. In last 8 of one comp (only entered two).

Leading my eclectic with my Sunday crew (16 of us) by 3, and the best nett 6 scores by 1 shot!

Still not clicking in all departments - the last two putting displays have been poor by my standards.

Royal Musselburgh on Thursday in the Captains/Secys Belhaven Qualifier - two ball betterball with top 8 into national final at Pollok in September.
    Enjoyed but tough track at RMGC yesterday. The greens were excellent - very quick and true.

Event well set-up by Belhaven - sadly we were dross, and nowehere near qualifying! I am not designed for Parkland gowf ..

Roll on Sunday .. and back to the Links! Real golf

Im in the final of the Auld Gits Championship. Back's ******. Final is a week tomorrow. Looks like a walkover for my opponent. Gutted. Never been a proper champion.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    My game is in tatters, that is all
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run