hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Smile Rio Ferdinand left out by England

Just an observation but am I right in thinking that the England coach decided against picking rio for his euro 2012 squad purely for football reasons (nothing to do with the alleged racism charge against jt )? If so, fair enough he is in charge and the man at the helm and if I was an engerlund fan, which I must add I'm not then I'd happy that he chose Cahill to partner jt in central defence. The thing that staggers me is how Roy has decided that Martin Kelly is his chosen replacement now that Cahill is injured. Fwiw I think this is the worst engerlund squad assembled for a major tournament(which worries me slightly) But wouldn't we love to be in a position to leave a player of rio's quality out of a Scotland team, never mind a hibs team. GHTTH. COYI.
    :pfgwa

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ IronHIbee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just an observation but am I right in thinking that the England coach decided against picking rio for his euro 2012 squad purely for football reasons (nothing to do with the alleged racism charge against jt )? If so, fair enough he is in charge and the man at the helm and if I was an engerlund fan, which I must add I'm not then I'd happy that he chose Cahill to partner jt in central defence. The thing that staggers me is how Roy has decided that Martin Kelly is his chosen replacement now that Cahill is injured. Fwiw I think this is the worst engerlund squad assembled for a major tournament(which worries me slightly) But wouldn't we love to be in a position to leave a player of rio's quality out of a Scotland team, never mind a hibs team. GHTTH. COYI.
    I dont know the thinking behind this, but where i will agree is how England are poor.

I thought Belgium looked streets ahead football wise yesterday, apart from having no decent centre forward.

To be fair, they will rip potters team a new arse when we play them.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    How does Martin Kelly get in ahead of Micah Richards?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Richards is injured. I think there would be more chance of Chris Hogg getting a call up before Ferdinand.

@hibs.net private member woodythehibee's Avatar
    I read somewhere that Richards refused to go on standby and went on holiday unlike Kelly.

Coaching Staff
    Rio Ferdinand is a racist?!?

I agree with Roy and Kelly is a better footballer.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Better footballer? No chance. Better defender? Not in my book

If Terry had got injured do you think Rio would've been called up?

Better footballer? No chance. Better defender? Not in my book
    I didn't need a book

I know JT gets a lot of stick and rightly so but RIO is just as big a clown

Rio was an absolutely top class defender in his heyday, however those days are behind him. Fergie said himself that Ferdinand would have to change his style to allow him to keep playing at the top level.

In saying that I though Ferdinand was outstanding.for large parts of the second half of last season. Micah Richards being left out of the original squad totally mystified me, a cracking player on his day. If the poster above that said he was injured is correct though that would explain it.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

if you're not an engerlund fan why are you worried about their p@shy squad

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Rio was an absolutely top class defender in his heyday, however those days are behind him. Fergie said himself that Ferdinand would have to change his style to allow him to keep playing at the top level.

In saying that I though Ferdinand was outstanding.for large parts of the second half of last season. Micah Richards being left out of the original squad totally mystified me, a cracking player on his day. If the poster above that said he was injured is correct though that would explain it.
    Richards is not carrying an injury. He declined to go on a 'reserve' list.

Leaving him out for Glen Johnson was a bad joke.

Then opting for Terry as opposed to Ferdinand was another mistake. Both are probaby over the top but it was bad judgement to keep Terry in the squad.

The whole thing descended into farce when Barry (defensive midfield) was replaced by Phil Jagielka (central defender). Now bringing in Jordan Henderson and Martin Kelly has given the impression that the lunatic has taken over the asylum. So a defensive midfielder is replaced by a central defender and then a central defender is replaced by a full back.

Five members of the terminally underachieving Liverpool squad are selected.

Woy seems to have lost the plot already.

My first thought when Roy took Johnson over Richards that he was taking someone he liked from his Liverpool days.

@hibs.net private member
    If you add in the 19 year old Birmingham reserve keeper he's called up this has the making of Berti Voltzs/ Ali McLeod style of international management. When they lose the 3 group games the press will demand his head

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Im sure there are problems surrounding Richards, where he either has a bad attitude in training or doesnt take on the ideas of the manager. Given that Hodgsons style is all about drills and practice, its hardly surprising hes been left out.

As for Rio, as someone has said, he isnt what he used to be. Hes 33/34 now and has really suffered due to injuries in the last few years. Hodgson almost has a free pass for this tournament as nothing is expected of England, and its a great chance for him to bring in youngsters. Dont think Phil Jones looks great at RB, his strongest position is either CB or in midfield, so it makes sense to call up a RB in Kelly (even if he is inexperienced).

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    if you're not an engerlund fan why are you worried about their p@shy squad
    Purely a topical discussion. I personally feel Rio is being made a scapegoat for JT behaviour

Strip away the media frenzy *****. This past season Terry has been better than Ferdinand - endof. Clearly having them both in the squad would cause ruptions so you take the better player - Terry. No rocket science is it. Richards declined to go on the reserve list ala Carrick also. All being blown up into something far bigger than it is, not least by RF's spokesman shouting it from the rooftops and RF himself tweeting everywhere and bumping his gums virtually.

England's worst squad by some distance for at least the past 10 years, probably 20. That said, I have a wee sneaking feeling they'll maybe do better than everyone is expecting at Euro 2012. They certainly won't win it but I reckon perhaps 1/4's or semis if they get the rub of the green. Or they could get completely pumped - who knows...

@hibs.net private member
    I have no thoughts about Rio's abilities as a player, but I don't think that him tweeting about being left out will boost his chances of getting back into the squad. Comes across as a spoiled kid.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post

Tackle % 81% v 71%
    pass completion 90% v 79%

I appreciate Rio is a poor man's James McPake but come off it. Kelly a better player than Ferdinand is a bold claim.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    My initial thought when Kelly was called up was who? Not a word of a lie when I say I have never heard of the boy.

Ferdinand should be in the squad, played more games for Man U last season than he had down in previous years so his ommision is bizarre.

Jordan Henderson for Lampard too? Perhaps this is more down to the real lack of quality that Hodgson has to choose from more than anything.

Strikers are rank rotton too. Few decent games from Carroll sees him get a call up plus Danny Wellbeck? Don't make me laugh.

England won't get out of their group, every chance they will lose all 3 games.

Left by mutual consent!
    Rio should do himself a favour and retire form football full stop. Too slow in the EPL and left out at International level for a reason which is that he is finished..

THis summer England will be shown up for the average team that they really are.. An average team filled with average players..

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PISTOL1875 View Post
    Rio should do himself a favour and retire form football full stop.
    Sniff sniff.....whats that I smell......oh aye.....bull ****.

Left by mutual consent!
    Sniff sniff.....whats that I smell......oh aye.....bull ****.
    Another un-educated rag here.. Fergie will start with Vidic and Jones next season so rio will be bumped to the bench..

Gamer IDs

Another un-educated rag here.. Fergie will start with Vidic and Jones next season so rio will be bumped to the bench..
    and even if that were fact, and not just a random thought you have, Man Utd subs...they're rubbish like....they should just give up on football.

Left by mutual consent!
    Rio should do himself a favour and retire form football full stop. Too slow in the EPL and left out at International level for a reason which is that he is finished..

THis summer England will be shown up for the average team that they really are.. An average team filled with average players..
    good players which ferdinand is get away with loseing a yard of pace. Does anyone remember a certain franck sauzee? What le god lacked in pace he made up with his football brain.

Left by mutual consent!
    good players which ferdinand is get away with loseing a yard of pace. Does anyone remember a certain franck sauzee? What le god lacked in pace he made up with his football brain.
    Sauzee wasn't playing up against players like Rio is playing against was he ?? The guy pissed over the SPL due to it's lack of quality. The comparison's are null and void between Sauzee and Rio...

Left by mutual consent!
    and even if that were fact, and not just a random thought you have, Man Utd subs...they're rubbish like....they should just give up on football.
    Rio's days at the top level are numbered now.. Hence the fact he has been over-looked for the England squad , especially after all the call-offs they have had..

Left by mutual consent!
    Rio's days at the top level are numbered now.. Hence the fact he has been over-looked for the England squad , especially after all the call-offs they have had..
    im glad it is now clear to one and all that its his football ability and nothing else that has kept him out the team. I right! Very good! Ps le god would have most of the so called superstars down south in his back pocket. Ggtth

im glad it is now clear to one and all that its his football ability and nothing else that has kept him out the team. I right! Very good! Ps le god would have most of the so called superstars down south in his back pocket. Ggtth

We all know it isn't just footballing ability that has kept Ferdinand out. It's also the fact that he is a spoilt baby, who, going by his latest behaviour, would probably damage the team spirit if included. Now, according to sources, he is implying that his treatment is an insult to all black people. That could just be paper talk, but if true, he is really stooping pretty low. He should just shut up and accept that he has had a pretty good run, especially considering some of his own behaviour in the past.