hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

O'Connor on trial

2. Log in to remove the advert

Think thats bad timing, is his drugs charge not the week before the final?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TamHibs PSN ID: tamhibs22
    Let's hope he goes out on a high then......

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?of4gi5

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    I'm more concerned by the drugs trial which has been reported as being set down for 13 May - as that's a Sunday I presume it's actually 14 May - five days away from the Cup Final. I see former Partick Thistle manager Gerry Britton - now a lawyer - represented Garry at the Intermediate Diet in that matter in Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday and he requested a further hearing before trial - that's a bit tight for a 13 May trial diet so hopefully this too is bumped until after the Cup Final.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nearly £100k attempted fraud? Sounds like jail time to me if found guilty...

Date in the report says 24th may not 14th

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    I'm just hoping he's up on a charge for walking naked along Princes Street that week too!

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so what do cw and sdm get for £134m ?

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh View Post
    so what do cw and sdm get for £134m ?
    Absolutely SFA

The best thing that could happen would be?

Garry O'Connor scores a hat trick in the Scottish Cup Final and is awarded the freedom of the City from The Lord Provost Of Edinburgh.

Well might as well make a right good day of it ...yes?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Date in the report says 24th may not 14th
    yeah for the fraud case, looks like his drugs case is the 14th.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DylanCrosbieI9I
    how long is he looking at?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by hibskid9 View Post
    how long is he looking at?
    I can't find the Scottish Justice System's sentencing for a crime for fraud, but English and Welsh fraud of between £20,000 and £100,000 can be aywhere as little as 12 weeks or as high as 5 years depending on the severity of the attempted fraud and a whole host of other factors. We should all just hope that there is a loophole that bans Scottish Cup winners from serving jail time.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt & Sauzee View Post
    I can't find the Scottish Justice System's sentencing for a crime for fraud, but English and Welsh fraud of between £20,000 and £100,000 can be aywhere as little as 12 weeks or as high as 5 years depending on the severity of the attempted fraud and a whole host of other factors. We should all just hope that there is a loophole that bans Scottish Cup winners from serving jail time.
    A custodial sentence is possible but the judge will also weigh up all the other factors, including cost to society, potential to re-offend, background reports, etc. before he reaches his conclusion.
    In this case, with all the factors involved, I suspect that it is likely to be a heavy fine than the burden on society of a custodial sentence.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    His drugs court case has been adjourned until May 13th......he was arrested on May 14th

I thought it was meaning Michael O'Connor on trial at us....

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    A custodial sentence is possible but the judge will also weigh up all the other factors, including cost to society, potential to re-offend, background reports, etc. before he reaches his conclusion.
    In this case, with all the factors involved, I suspect that it is likely to be a heavy fine than the burden on society of a custodial sentence.
    This.

Although assuming he is found guilty, his continued plea of not guilty won't sit well with the court.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This.

Although assuming he is found guilty, his continued plea of not guilty won't sit well with the court.

He's entitled to be assumed innocent until proven guilty. And the court really shouldn't turn vindictive just because his counsel decides to mount a defence, even a defence of extenuating circumstances. We're supposedly all entitled to our day in court, not just roll over whne the police arrive to arrest us. (That's the theory, anyway.)

He doesn't strike me as a criminal mastermind - or as the sort of violent or manipulative predator who needs to be locked away for the safety of other people. The guy needs to take a tumble to himself and get his life sorted out. How he does that is his responsibility, but the strain of the ongoing legal process is obviously telling on him.

TBH, I would say that he's entitled to be a lot more concerned about the outcome of those trials than about what the score is at the end of the Cup Final, since he could be facing jail time. IIRC both charges were on the books before Hibs signed him back last summer, so we knew what we were taking on.

I suppose we DIDN'T expect to be in the Cup Final back then, though.

For myself, I wish him well in both his court appearances, and I really hope he manages to come through all this, sort things out, and then hit the headlines and news websites for all the right reasons in the months to come. He's a young man - 28 years old - and he surely still has time to make a real mark in the game.

Really is time for him to wake up and smell the coffee, he has to grow up, seems its a thing alot of players cant do. 28 a chance to put himself in the shop window, only a couple of years left for him, he should be wising up.

Garry O'Connor, SCOTTISH CUP WINNER 2012, GERINTAETHUM.

A big factor in sentencing, if found guilty of course, will be the difference between an attempted fraud, and actually committing fraud. I'm no legal eagle, but I'd imagine the latter is much more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    Could set up a new O'Connor and transfer the striker into it leaving the old O'Connor to face trial and re merge the two after any sentence has expired?
    Sorted!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This.

And also during that time him and his lawyers have messed the courts about too, infact i don't even think there will be trial's for the fraud or drug cases, i have said it for a while now but GOC defence team have done a great job in getting these cases put back for almost a year to the end of the season, job done imo, the only thing they probably didn't account for would be there client and his club getting to a Scottish Cup Final.

On the day of the trials it wouldn't surprise me that GOC changed his plea to guilty and his lawyer trying to strike some kind of deal with the PF(no not our manager), for some of the charges to be reduced in both cases, if that was the outcome then as you say i don't think any judge will take to kindly to the courts being mucked about the way they have been, yes people are allowed to maintain that they are innocent and plead Not Guilty, but the judges are not daft and have seen this trick pulled many times before and when it finally comes down to sentencing then the judge may just set an example on GOC, the fraud case, a massive fine with Probation and so many hours of Community work, the drug case, probably the big man will spend his summer in the big hoose with the hope of a move to an open Prison and then out with a tag around his ankle, still should be out in time for the new season starting though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    Could set up a new O'Connor and transfer the striker into it leaving the old O'Connor to face trial and re merge the two after any sentence has expired?

if this were a Yam player it wouldn't be hanging over their head pre-final. Guaranteed.

typical.
    is the judge not a diet hun? think he is.
    think Garry would happily go down if it meant getting hands on that bit silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt & Sauzee View Post
    There is, but unfortunately it only applies to Huns.

You would have all charges rounded-up together Garry, so go straight through Black in the first minute in the final and paint Hampden red.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    The Gers board must be in allsorts then!

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DylanCrosbieI9I
    Let's hope its not a yam judge eh

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    Quote Originally Posted by hibskid9 View Post
    Let's hope its not a yam judge eh
    did the judge no' fess up tae bein' a yam at the hearing?

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: StevenHibs
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmartinrocks View Post
    did the judge no' fess up tae bein' a yam at the hearing?
    yep