hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Team GB & NI. Yay or Nay?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will support Team GB.

38 21.84%
  • I will support Team GB except the football team.

29 16.67%
  • I will only support the Team GB football team (but not Athletics, Swimming, etc, etc)

2 1.15%
  • I truly couldn't give a monkeys chuff about Team GB.

105 60.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Team GB & NI (Football)

Having just heard the (English) commentator say during a digression on Olympic football during the USA v Brazil match, "England will be selecting Beckham as one of their three overage players for the Olympic games" I felt an ill-informed comment like that says all that needs to be said to illustrate why, in some quarters, the football Team GB & NI is anachronistic.
    I got to thinking, with the games fast approaching, where does the majority lie now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not a surprise to me. Never backed team England anyway.

I want an independent Scotland (people may or may not feel that is relevant to the discussion) but, in the absence of such a concept, I choose to support my nation in sporting matters, so I fully support Team GB.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having just heard the (English) commentator say during a digression on Olympic football during the USA v Brazil match, "England will be selecting Beckham as one of their three overage players for the Olympic games" I felt an ill-informed comment like that says all that needs to be said to illustrate why, in some quarters, the football Team GB & NI is anachronistic.
    I got to thinking, with the games fast approaching, where does the majority lie now.
    It might be good to email a complaint to the show. I'm sure the Welsh and Irish will be annoyed too.

However, I'm going to try not to allow an ignorant commentator(s) to affect my judgement.

I'll be hoping Team GB & NI do well.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Won't be supporting Team GB.

Not for any political reasons or whatever. Mainly just because I find the Olympics, with the exception of the amateur boxing, boring. They could be on in my own back garden and i probably wouldn't watch.

I don't watch athletics any other time so can't get into it for 3 weeks every 4 years. I like golf but thats not in it yet, I like football but the Olympics is hardly the pinnacle of the sport, boxing I've already covered and rowing, shooting, sailing, gymnastics etc is of no.interest to me at all.

That's not Team GB thing either, I'd feel exactly the same if it was Team Scotland.

Pretty much agree with pretty boy.I have pretty much zerop intrest in the Olympics..As for the subject of supporting team gb, well i suppose for i have again zero intrest in team gb footie team or the winning medals and what not.

I dunno if it's just me but i dont see what all the fuss is about.I guess on one hand i guess its like the world cup for football ,the Olympics is to like whatever sports there are competining.

A lil off topic but i gather, and i could well be wrong but aren't the tickets for most of the things way over priced?
    and well on the news a while back about getitng tickets and what not, i guess would put people off going.But then i have zero intrest in it now don't I.

Team GB in any sport means about as much to me as Hertz do. F*** em.

Will be supporting anyone up against Team GB

Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post

Hope they get humped

Left by mutual consent!
    I truly couldn't give a monkeys chuff about Team GB.

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It might be good to email a complaint to the show. I'm sure the Welsh and Irish will be annoyed too.

However, I'm going to try not to allow an ignorant commentator(s) to affect my judgement.

I'll be hoping Team GB & NI do well.
    should get a wee sweepie on the go for how many times team gb is refered to as engerlund.

Could not really care but i want to see any scot competing do well so if that is a team event then i guess i will be supporting them

Will watch any sport at the Olympics ... apart from the mens football which I have never thought belonged in the Olympics anyway. But now that they want a team GB football team there is no chance I would watch it. It will give interested parties the excuse they have been looking for to force the UK to field a joint team in the World Cup.

IMO any Scot who plays for team GB given what it could lead to is a stupid selfish moron who knows nothing about the politics of football.

No problem here with any Scot who wants to play for Team GB, but I couldn't give that monkey's chuff about any team playing a sport that has no place in the Olympics.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I've nae problem with the plastic Scots playing for team GB, let's be honest they only play for us because Engerlund weren't calling them up. At least playing for team GB is them playing for their own country, the closest they'll get to living their dreams!

Who's in the squad?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Original

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Won't support the football team but in the other sports it depends on the athlete, there are some i like and others i couldn't care less about, would love to see Bolt seriously destroy the 100/200m records

Interesting to note that the percentages remained almost uniformly consistent as the votes have increased.

On a side issue, looks like the Monkey's Chuff 100m relay is the biggest attraction.

And PB, I took your advice, and if I get a response re the 'England' comment I'll post it here. Not going to hold my breath though.

Left by mutual consent!

Even ignoring the England p!sh, the fact that Beckham is even getting a sniff at an international spot just shows this up for the farce it is. Is it a ****** fashion show *** popularity contest or a serious Olympic sport? The whole UKpop culture thing is an embarrassment.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Who gives a ****
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Not to do with politics, just don't see why we should feel obliged to support a completely fabricated side with zero history on a one-off.

The 'footballing independence' line remains a convenient cover for 'not many Scots involved/vast majority of supporters won't back the side' stance of the SFA mind you. There's no way this would ever jeopardise Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Calm down everyone...

Promising Youngster Ash Vale Hibee's Avatar
    Eh, I'll be supporting Team GB in all sports........simple reason really, I'm British.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Original
    That is a pretty stupid comment, you are mocking the guy for being "original ", he never claimed to try to be original and voiced what a lot of people feel about it.

Left by mutual consent!

HKHibby

surprised it was an English commentator who said this, he is also British as well, the same as the Scottish are, which will never change, but that is another story!, it is usually Thick Americans that cant tell the difference or what GB is!

@hibs.net private member
    I don't really identify with the Team GB thing, and not for political reasons. In the sports that I watch, there will be people I want to see do well, and some of them will be British, some won't. Although I understand that many see the Olympics in patriotic terms, it just doesn't work for me that way. I see it more as a 'festival of sporting excellence'. Perhaps because the 'team' don't really have an identity as such, compared with other team events or sports.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    The more i sit down and think about this, the more i will support the football team. I do cheer when we win medals at the other sports.

I think when the olympics come around i will be the same as usual, and cheering on any brit who is running, jumping, throwing or swimming. And when they play football, i'd imagine i will be doing the same?

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    Quote Originally Posted by HKhibby View Post
    surprised it was an English commentator who said this, he is also British as well, the same as the Scottish are, which will never change, but that is another story!, it is usually Thick Americans that cant tell the difference or what GB is!
    was it not an english commentator who changed david wilkies nationality 3-4 times during a race?

No way would I support team GB. The Olympics don't interest me anyway. I will be rooting for Eire in the Euro's though.