hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Brown

Mark Brown

Mark Brown's Agent (Kevin Drinkell), is set to open discussions with Fenlon over the possibility of a new deal for the keeper...

Not the news I was expecting to hear, with Stack being emptied, I thought Brown would get binned too. Disappointed if Fenlon thinks Brown is worthy of a new deal...
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

2. Log in to remove the advert

He is not good enough.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Drinkell got me two tickets for the final. . Not from mark Brown I hasten to add.

Regards the OP, I actually quite like Brown.

I would imagine if Brown did get a new deal it would be on reduced terms and as backup.

We need to sign a commanding no1 over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drinkell got me two tickets for the final. . Not from mark Brown I hasten to add.

Regards the OP, I actually quite like Brown.
    I don't see any plus points in Brown, his kicking is poor, does not command his area, seems to lose goals that are "savable"....Hope that a big keeper who can command his area is a top priority to be honest
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    I don't see any plus points in Brown, his kicking is poor, does not command his area, seems to lose goals that are "savable"....Hope that a big keeper who can command his area is a top priority to be honest
    Completely agree with all of that. Personally would be wanting to get rid and bring in either 2 keepers or one really good keeper and back up being one of the younger ones.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers Cuomo View Post
    I would imagine if Brown did get a new deal it would be on reduced terms and as backup.

We need to sign a commanding no1 over the summer.

I think that's exactly what Drinkell and Brown will find - we hold all the aces here as he has contributed very little in his time at ER.

Wouldn't mind him staying as back up and on cheaper terms, but I think that PF knows that a new no.1 is a must.

He's not a great keeper. Drinkell's got some A-listers on his books eh?

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Brown is a decent keeper. I know its fashionable to slate every player at ER these days, but Brown is the least of our worries.

Would prefer two new keepers but if it means we get another player for another position then I can accept Brown as back-up to a new first choice keeper.

I am hoping we punt almost everyone of the 1st team squad! With stack going I would have thought brown would follow. He had a super dave up at Pittodrie at the end of the season..... but on the whole he is in the "not good enough" camp for me...

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Brown was regarded as a decent enough keeper before he came, what's the point in doing the same exercise only to reduce yet another keeper to not good enough. I believe that with a decent back four Brown will prove to be more than good enough.

Wouldn't be sad if he was allowed to move on to be honest. Not that good a keeper.

I would get rid of bothe stack and brown and combine their wages to sign a quality keeper.

When we had leighton we used to use chris reid who was ok for a couple of games at a time as back up.

Pity reid and gardiner did not make the grade.

surely not. if we cant find a better 2nd goalie than him, we got probs

He's decent enough as a backup, and probably a cheaper option than signing a second new keeper.

If it means our budget and attentions can be better focused elsewhere, then so be it!

Not for me use the wage to bring in a new keeper with back up from one of our Academy boys

First Team Breakthrough woodyloon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Brown is a decent keeper. I know its fashionable to slate every player at ER these days, but Brown is the least of our worries.
    Maybe he is a decent keeper, but if Hibs are serious about rebuilding a team and making it stronger than I don't think he is a decent enough keeper to fill that role.

Any team that wants success needs to have a strong spine in the team, that starts with a commanding keeper who can communicate with players in front of him, amd more important a keeper who is comfortable coming and collect crosses etc. We also need to build a strong centre half partnership and the same with the middle of the park, and a forward who knows were the net is, if we get that then players who are not so good can fit in around them without effecting the team to much.

I don't get this. Mark Brown is pants, he's timid and I think he hides. Why would PF punt Stacky and keep him even as a number 2 if it were just on ability? Stack had much more about him so keeping Stack and finding another goalie with a bit of pedigree would make sense to me as it would create healthy competition.

So it must have been something Stacky did or said? Was Stacky a boozer and is this a symptom of PFs clearing out "disruptive elements"?? And does "disruptive element" equate to a bit of character?

I liked Stack. Young family - wanted to play - defence were much more solid with him in goal.

Confused

First Team Breakthrough woodyloon's Avatar
    Maybe he thought Stack was too injury prone. I didn't think there was much between them but I would of favoured keeping Stack over Brown. Another reason might be that Brown was more willling to except a covering role more than Stack was.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyloon View Post
    Maybe he is a decent keeper, but if Hibs are serious about rebuilding a team and making it stronger than I don't think he is a decent enough keeper to fill that role.

Any team that wants success needs to have a strong spine in the team, that starts with a commanding keeper who can communicate with players in front of him, amd more important a keeper who is comfortable coming and collect crosses etc. We also need to build a strong centre half partnership and the same with the middle of the park, and a forward who knows were the net is, if we get that then players who are not so good can fit in around them without effecting the team to much.
    As you have stated that is the accepted norm to build any strong side. I think we may have to lower our expectation levels a bit though unless the purse strings are being cut rather than loosened.

Blog Entries
    Brown the better of He and Stack.

Stack always liable to honking errors and came for less crosses in his time that we had home league wins....

Brown is a decent solid keeper BUT his kicking is poor and he does not talk enough or have that 'presence' you ideally want...not unhappy either way if he stays / goes but glad Stacks away....

I think we should ditch the entire squad every season. It's clearly the only way to put a winning team on the park

There are loads of quality keepers MUCH BETTER than Mark Brown who are out of contract and who would fall over themselves to sign for a team who narrowly avoided relegation, failed to turn up in a cup final, change their manager every season and have a £2k per week wage cap

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    I think we should ditch the entire squad every season. It's clearly the only way to put a winning team on the park

There are loads of quality keepers MUCH BETTER than Mark Brown who are out of contract and who would fall over themselves to sign for a team who narrowly avoided relegation, failed to turn up in a cup final, change their manager every season and have a £2k per week wage cap
    Dont you know we cant have the AGM Unless the Manager is sacked the night before. Its rule 482 in the Rod Petrie rule book.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Strange decision, I'd far rather have kept Stck. Brown's the epitomy of 'meh'.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    If Fenlon is holding talks with KD over a new contract for Brown, then he should be shown the door with immediate effect......Deary Deary me!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    Brown the better of He and Stack.

Stack always liable to honking errors and came for less crosses in his time that we had home league wins....

Brown is a decent solid keeper BUT his kicking is poor and he does not talk enough or have that 'presence' you ideally want...not unhappy either way if he stays / goes but glad Stacks away....
    I disagree 100%, i'd have rather kept Stack and punted Brown. For me, Brown is less than average at every aspect of goalkeeping. He like Stack does not like coming off his line, but where Stack wins it for me, is his shot stopping, and organisation of those in front of him.

Brown was all over the shop in that final, doing his usual coming then going back causing havoc with the central defenders. And again saving nothing that went wide of him as usual.

I have a feeling Browns been kept for the bench, and Fenlon wants all traces of the drinking culture gone?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I disagree 100%, i'd have rather kept Stack and punted Brown. For me, Brown is less than average at every aspect of goalkeeping. He like Stack does not like coming off his line, but where Stack wins it for me, is his shot stopping, and organisation of those in front of him.

Brown was all over the shop in that final, doing his usual coming then going back causing havoc with the central defenders. And again saving nothing that went wide of him as usual.

I have a feeling Browns been kept for the bench, and Fenlon wants all traces of the drinking culture gone?

Punt the two of them.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK

In a good team I think Mark Brown would be a competent enough keeper. Preferably we'll get someone of a higher calibre as our No.1, but I'm content with having MB as back-up.

Stack was utter garbage. I think people were blinded to this fact as a result of his dedication, and the fact that he was one of the few who 'played for the shirt'.

Exactly. Brown is a decent keeper and reliable. If you compare him to the second string at Celtic and rangers and any spl keeper he can hold his own. Address the bigger problems like wide midfield and up front.