hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Excellent break by Murray.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dinnae ken what channel your watching Hutch but im oan itv2 And Jim Courier is spot on, Ferrer can only play one way..Murray on the other hand has all the variety...Has all the shots in his locker, If the 2 players play to there best Andy Murray will win.
    I'm on ITV4, Murray laying it on a plate for Ferrer, 52 unforced errors (13 games worth!) by Murray.

Hibs should sign up Andy. He knows where the net is.

Too many unforced errors and beating himself up.

It's not over until Lisa Riley sings.

Andy Murray fails to play to his best in the latter stages of a Grand Slam.

In other news, Pope re-confirms dedication to Catholicism and Mr B. Ursus is photographed defecating in a wooded area.

Same old, same old. All the talent, not the mentality.

Andy is infuriating. Does anyone know the extent of his reported injury? Only that can excuse for me his adolescent attitude when he loses a game. You don't catch the big three doing that and he'd better cut it out if he wants to join them.

I know clay isn't his best surface but for heaven's sake.

Not surprised in the slightest by this result, in fact I might even have been more surprised if Murray had won.

It was possibly the toughest draw that he could have had in the quarter finals.

Ferrer is a really tough opponent for anyone to face and particularly on clay.

Having said that, I fully expect him to go out in the semis to Nadal.

Well done to Sara Errani who has just made her first ever Grand Slam final after beating Sam Stosur in 3 sets.

Errani was absolutely nowhere up until this year and was struggling to break inside the top 50 in the rankings. However she made the quarter finals in Australia in January and her win today means that she will now be guaranteed a place in the top 10.

I think this will be her big final though as I really can't see her beating either Petra Kvitova or Maria Sharapova in the final.

Easy victory for Maria Sharapova against Petra Kvitova, 6-3 6-3.

She'll also be world number one for the first time in 7 years and will be aiming to win her first ever French Open title and complete a career Grand Slam.

@hibs.net private member
    Back from France this evening. Great experience just a shame Murray couldn't pull it off> Seemed as though he never got momentum going- whenever he broke Ferrer he got broken straight back. The rain break couldn't have come at a worse time as he had just won a set and held his serve. The French crowd were excellent with a large number encouraging him, particularly the youngsters. Suppose clay was never going to be his surface and he can push on for grass and hard court.

Says a lot when we are disappointed at him going out in quarters and not suffering his usual semi defeat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again it'll be the two best players in the world contesting a Grand Slam final as Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic both won in straight sets today.

Nadal absolutely hammered his fellow Spaniard, David Ferrer, earlier today and Djokovic has just beaten Roger Federer 6-4 7-5 6-3. Federer will be kicking himself in that second set, being 3-0 up and TWO breaks up and still losing it. He was never going to win after losing that set.

So, either way, history will be made on Sunday as it will either be Rafael Nadal becoming the first man to win a seventh French Open title or Novak Djokovic becoming the first man for over 40 years to hold all Grand Slam titles at one time.

If this match is anything at all like the Australian Open final back in January then I cannot wait!

Has no-one been watching this today?

Amazing turnaround in the final. Nadal absolutely dominated the early stages of the match and looked well on his way to becoming the first man ever to win seven French Open titles as he lead 6-4 6-3 2-0.

However, Djokovic then went on an unbelievable run by winning eight consecutive games, the most that anyone has ever won against Nadal on clay without reply. This allowed him to take the third set 6-2 and then he went 2-0 up in the fourth set.

Nadal did hold his serve in the final game of today before the weather called a halt to proceedings but there's no doubt that Djokovic is in the ascendancy just now and Nadal will be thinking that he shouldn't even have to be coming back tomorrow, considering how far in front he was at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal comes out tomorrow and actually ends up winning the fourth set and therefore the match, although after watching previous matches between these two, anything could end up happening tomorrow to be perfectly honest!

Play is supposed to restart at 12pm (British time) tomorrow although that may change as the forecast for Paris tomorrow is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has no-one been watching this today?

Amazing turnaround in the final. Nadal absolutely dominated the early stages of the match and looked well on his way to becoming the first man ever to win seven French Open titles as he lead 6-4 6-3 2-0.

However, Djokovic then went on an unbelievable run by winning eight consecutive games, the most that anyone has ever won against Nadal on clay without reply. This allowed him to take the third set 6-2 and then he went 2-0 up in the fourth set.

Nadal did hold his serve in the final game of today before the weather called a halt to proceedings but there's no doubt that Djokovic is in the ascendancy just now and Nadal will be thinking that he shouldn't even have to be coming back tomorrow, considering how far in front he was at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal comes out tomorrow and actually ends up winning the fourth set and therefore the match, although after watching previous matches between these two, anything could end up happening tomorrow to be perfectly honest!

Play is supposed to restart at 12pm (British time) tomorrow although that may change as the forecast for Paris tomorrow is terrible.
    It's another classic between these two. Didn't give Nole a chance when 2 sets and a break down but he's a fighter. I also think Nadal will get this done in 4, but whoever wins, this is sport being played at it's very best.

Djocky looks a bit out of sorts today.

Great acheivement for Nadal.

Only a couple of years since it was heavily rumoured his career was all but over due to his knees.

Comes accross as a nice guy into the bargain.

@hibs.net private member
    Great win for Nadal which puts him, quite rightly, as one of the greatest players to ever play the game. Been the best player throughout the tournament winning his matches with ease.

Wonder how Djokovic will react to his double fault at the end. Can only imagine what we would be saying had Murray finished the game like that!

Absolutely fantastic achievement by Nadal. To win seven French Open titles is an amazing feat in itself but to reach that number at only 26 years of age is just incredible.

This win puts him on 11 Grand Slam titles overall and level with Bjorn Borg, only 3 behind Pete Sampras and 5 behind Roger Federer.

With possibly another 4 or 5 years left in him at the very top, I don't see any reason why Rafael Nadal cannot become the greatest player of all time.

It was always a likely outcome that Nadal would come out today and overturn the deficit early on and go on to win that fourth set and that's exactly what happened. If I'm being honest, I think Djokovic's chance died last night when play was suspended for the day. He was clearly on a high at that point and had Nadal rattled.

It's amazing what a night's rest and a chat with your team can do for you!

It's on to the grass court season now and with the beginning of Wimbledon just two weeks away, Nadal will be looking to get his 3rd title at SW19, whereas Djokovic will be looking to defend the title that he won last year and to also get over the disappointment of losing out today.

I don't think anyone could bet against the possibility of the Wimbledon final on 8th July being played, once again, between Nadal and Djokovic, in fact I would be surprised if it wasn't.

I have to say I'm looking forward to Wimbledon (and the Open Golf) far more than the Euros or the Olympics.