hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Club Culture

Club Culture

Forget finances for a bit and look at the culture at East Mains and Easter Road.

I dont know what is said to players when they sign on at Hibs, but from now on anybody, from the tea lady to the biggest signing, has to have a hatred of Heart of Midlothian football club hammered into them from the word go.

I'm not talking about "Oh aye, we have a right rivalry wi the herts like" I'm talking about a bitter and twisted out of all proportion hatred of anything thats a deep red ..... never mind Maroon !!! I want to see players in tears on the pitch after a loss to them ... not out in fking George street 3 hours later. I want to see the chairman apologising to the fans with tears running down his face like a Japanese boss who has let the company down.

As for us ( the fans ) the same goes. I think its time we started looking towards the next derby match, which I hope will be at ER. I want to see 16,000 of the 20 odd thousand at Hampden yesterday baying for revenge ... I know that a single derby win will be like taking an asprin for a broken leg .. but it will be a start.

I am not talking about blood on the streets ...... I am talking about a football club which allowed a Hearts supporter who's employer had been given ( no doubt ) much needed business by the club to bury Hearts memorabilia under our new stand in the hope that it would bring the club bad luck.

If she had done that in South America or Turkey the supporters would have burned the businesses premises to the ground. I am NOT ... I repeat NOT ... suggesting anything like that ..... But even at this late date the club should get Dalkeith Demolition to dig that ***** up and carry the cost for doing so, who cares if its just superstitious nonsense ... its the thought that counts. And before anybody thinks thats rediculous I am led to believe that the New York Yankees .. a much bigger world brand than we can ever hope to be ... made a Red Sox fan do just that when he pulled the same stunt.

Nah .... When they come to ER I want the water in the dressing rooms to be cold ... I want the welcome from our board to be professional, but chilly .. I want to see hatred and bile pouring out of the stands towards their players at every touch of the ball from the warm up to the final whistle.

The Hearts fans have always had an out of proportion hatred for us, which given the respective fortunes of the two clubs in and out of derby matches I have always found a bit hard to fathom ........... But screw it, its time for us to turn things up a notch or two ... or a hundred and give them back what they have given us 10 times over.

I will reiterate ... I am NOT advocating violence in or out of the ground at any time .... but when they see the Hibs fixture in the list at the start of every season I want them to hate the thought of its approach .. not put their feet up, get out a cigar and look forward to an easy ride.

Thats what I want ....... Bring it on !!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Slightly off topic but what I want to know is how can we change players, managers, coaches, etc and still have the same mentality at the club? What is persisting it from one team to the next? I have a hard time thinking that the board could have that sort of influence on the playing staff.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slightly off topic but what I want to know is how can we change players, managers, coaches, etc and still have the same mentality at the club? What is persisting it from one team to the next? I have a hard time thinking that the board could have that sort of influence on the playing staff.
    Because new players overlap the old players and by the looks of it there's no player that demands better from his team mates.

If i started a job where the culture was relaxed and chilled out i'd probably just fit into the place and go with the flow but if i joined a work place that was demanding and hard working i would try that bit harder.

It shouldn't be the case but it's just what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    Forget finances for a bit and look at the culture at East Mains and Easter Road.

I dont know what is said to players when they sign on at Hibs, but from now on anybody, from the tea lady to the biggest signing, has to have a hatred of Heart of Midlothian football club hammered into them from the word go.

I'm not talking about "Oh aye, we have a right rivalry wi the herts like" I'm talking about a bitter and twisted out of all proportion hatred of anything thats a deep red ..... never mind Maroon !!! I want to see players in tears on the pitch after a loss to them ... not out in fking George street 3 hours later. I want to see the chairman apologising to the fans with tears running down his face like a Japanese boss who has let the company down.

As for us ( the fans ) the same goes. I think its time we started looking towards the next derby match, which I hope will be at ER. I want to see 16,000 of the 20 odd thousand at Hampden yesterday baying for revenge ... I know that a single derby win will be like taking an asprin for a broken leg .. but it will be a start.

I am not talking about blood on the streets ...... I am talking about a football club which allowed a Hearts supporter who's employer had been given ( no doubt ) much needed business by the club to bury Hearts memorabilia under our new stand in the hope that it would bring the club bad luck.

If she had done that in South America or Turkey the supporters would have burned the businesses premises to the ground. I am NOT ... I repeat NOT ... suggesting anything like that ..... But even at this late date the club should get Dalkeith Demolition to dig that ***** up and carry the cost for doing so, who cares if its just superstitious nonsense ... its the thought that counts. And before anybody thinks thats rediculous I am led to believe that the New York Yankees .. a much bigger world brand than we can ever hope to be ... made a Red Sox fan do just that when he pulled the same stunt.

Nah .... When they come to ER I want the water in the dressing rooms to be cold ... I want the welcome from our board to be professional, but chilly .. I want to see hatred and bile pouring out of the stands towards their players at every touch of the ball from the warm up to the final whistle.

The Hearts fans have always had an out of proportion hatred for us, which given the respective fortunes of the two clubs in and out of derby matches I have always found a bit hard to fathom ........... But screw it, its time for us to turn things up a notch or two ... or a hundred and give them back what they have given us 10 times over.

I will reiterate ... I am NOT advocating violence in or out of the ground at any time .... but when they see the Hibs fixture in the list at the start of every season I want them to hate the thought of its approach .. not put their feet up, get out a cigar and look forward to an easy ride.

I forgot.

We can start by kicking Billy bloody Brown into touch for a start. He is tainted with the stink of Gorgie and has to go.

I never want a man to lose his job .... but in this case I'm sure theres a position waiting for him just over the Forth.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    We seem to have some sort of fixed moto which makes us respect Hearts far more than they respect us.

Hearts hate us with a passion, yet we don't seem to hate them nearly as much. (The fans do obviously, but everything else to do with the club doesn't).

I mentioned it on another thread, but what was up will Billy Brown yesterday giving Paulo Sergio a big good luck hug before the game? He may as well have kissed him on the cheek while he was at it.

When we bring new players into the club, I want them to openly state before each and every derby their extreme hate for Heart of Midlothian Football club and how badly they're going to do them in for 90 minutes.

Thats what their players do!

I agree. The mentality of our players going into derbies NEEDS to change. We always go in to derbies with an almost "awch well we always loose to them anyway" attitude. Even when we have had far better teams than hearts, they have still managed to beat us, simply because they go into it with a far better attitude and belief than we do. Our players just seem to accept getting beat off hearts and its not a big deal. The importance of winning derbies needs to be hammered home to every single player in our dressing room, anybody who doesn't feel the passion of the derby and the importance of it should not be at the football club.

Our time will come again, hearts reign over us will come to an end sooner rather than later I reckon.

@hibs.net private member
    Maybe a slightly over the top OP but it does make some sense to me. I was just saying omething similar earlier - we don't hate them enough.

They make everything about us - they wouldn't care if they finished 10th in the league as long as we were 11th. Even their official Cup Final t-shirts yesterday were about us - we try and take some kind of moral high ground about having class and that. What's the point?

Let's "stoop" to their level - it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Maybe a slightly over the top OP but it does make some sense to me. I was just saying omething similar earlier - we don't hate them enough.

They make everything about us - they wouldn't care if they finished 10th in the league as long as we were 11th. Even their official Cup Final t-shirts yesterday were about us - we try and take some kind of moral high ground about having class and that. What's the point?

Let's "stoop" to their level - it works.

Real class is shown on the pitch, not off it.

And sadly, they seem to show more of it than we do.

Before every single derby, their players openly state how they're going to rip us to shreds, while our players are too cowardly to say anything of the sort.

It shouldn't just be about Hearts.

From now on everyone coming into the club should be told in no uncertain terms that what has gone on before isn't good enough. The top 6 is the absolute minimum expectation and anything less than being in the hunt for Europe going into the last few weeks of the season is failure. Semi finals and finals should be the norm. With a weakened Rangers and possible cost cutting accross the road this isn't something that can't be acheived.

I'm sick of teams ending losing runs against us, strikers ending goalscoring droughts, Hearts building unbeaten runs against us.

The mentality needs to change. Shape up or ship out time for everyone at the club imo.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Could not agree more . I have said before throughout the club there is an acceptance of people not giving 100% to the club and cause . These people populate our club and are allowed to coast at the expense of the fans and employees who give their all for the cause . If you are not trying your best you should be told that it will not be tolerated and to have a look in the mirror .

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Because new players overlap the old players and by the looks of it there's no player that demands better from his team mates.

If i started a job where the culture was relaxed and chilled out i'd probably just fit into the place and go with the flow but if i joined a work place that was demanding and hard working i would try that bit harder.

It shouldn't be the case but it's just what happens.
    That makes sense. So we need a wholesale clear out (which seems to be coming anyway) and / or a player at the club who can get the rest out of his team mates.

After the first two goals yesterday I only saw McPake trying to motivate the rest of the players just before each kickoff. There might have been others but I only saw him.

Some might say that the above is ridiculous and a bit harsh, however going back to the Yankees point, we could learn a thing or or two about how to treat rivals.

Ive done tours of some of these american baseball and football stadiums, and much like us and them, rivalry often runs to the very core of their history. However they do act like the above to their rivals. The passion for their club and hatred towards the opponent is kept professional, and violence seems to be minimal. Yet as soon as they come head to head, the players feel as much passion as the fans. mind games are real, and not silly threats about injury woes and fitness concerns.

I just don't get how I (and 20,000) other hibs fans watched a team in arguably the biggest game of their careers walk on to Hamden park with little to no passion in their hearts. Despite fans sending them video and audio messages of good luck and how much it means to them, they still had the ability to turn up and play how they did. It was gutless and shameful to watch.

So I agree. It's time to clear out that bunch of amateurs we have, and replace them with professionals who share the shame passion towards the club, and hatred towards their rivals. Otherwise, we will always walk into these games as underdogs, regardless of player ability.

What a load of paranoid crap.

Instead of this obsession with anything Hearts, the focus should be on providing the best team on the field and ignore the goings on down Gorgie way.

If we had followed the OP's doctrine, the likes of Joe Baker & Willie Hamilton would never have signed for Hibs, as they would have been classed as maroon tainted goods.

It comes from the very top

the attitude you talk about comes from the very, very top; and I mean Tom Farmer. He may be a great businessman but he doesnt run his businesses to hate other teams - he asks for repsect, for class. therefore he runs hibs the same way.

dont even get me started about Petrie - he in no way shape or form wopuld have felt like I did last night when i simply went home to my bed. he is an employee and has as much passion as any employee for their employer.

and finally there is us the supporters we rant and rave on here, but do very little about it. It's time we demanded change in the boardroom - I am saying lets get a new buyer (although i think we do need that) as I doubt we'll find one - but a clearout at boardroom level and make it clear to Tom Farmer that that this is unaccepatable. How would he feel if we started to protest outside farmer auto care, would he listen then as I think he is oblivious at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post

Instead of this obsession with anything Hearts, the focus should be on providing the best team on the field and ignore the goings on down Gorgie way.

If we had followed the OP's doctrine, the likes of Joe Baker & Willie Hamilton would never have signed for Hibs, as they would have been classed as maroon tainted goods.
    You're wrong.

Beating Hearts means absolutely everything. When it comes to a derby game, nothing else should matter what so ever.

Its more than just a football game, its all out war.

But without any warriors in our team, its a war we'll continue to lose over and over.

Most Hibs fans will tell you that they don't care about anything else, as long as we beat Hearts.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nil7 View Post
    the attitude you talk about comes from the very, very top; and I mean Tom Farmer. He may be a great businessman but he doesnt run his businesses to hate other teams - he asks for repsect, for class. therefore he runs hibs the same way.

dont even get me started about Petrie - he in no way shape or form wopuld have felt like I did last night when i simply went home to my bed. he is an employee and has as much passion as any employee for their employer.

and finally there is us the supporters we rant and rave on here, but do very little about it. It's time we demanded change in the boardroom - I am saying lets get a new buyer (although i think we do need that) as I doubt we'll find one - but a clearout at boardroom level and make it clear to Tom Farmer that that this is unaccepatable. How would he feel if we started to protest outside farmer auto care, would he listen then as I think he is oblivious at the moment.
    Utter drivel.

He would be hurting every bit as much as the rest of us and make no mistake about it.

I completely understand what you mean. However, as my point states above, we should really try to get current/new players to share the passion we have towards our club and with that comes players who give 110% every game. Then, when we do face them, the players understand the need to give that little bit more for them and the fans.

For years now, we've had mediocre talent who believe donning a football strip every Saturday makes them 'professional football players'. however, they have put on amateur shows at best and have not showed a desire for success.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. We need professionals seeking success at a club with great history.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    You're wrong.

Beating Hearts means absolutely everything. When it comes to a derby game, nothing else should matter what so ever.

Its more than just a football game, its all out war.

But without any warriors in our team, its a war we'll continue to lose over and over.

Most Hibs fans will tell you that they don't care about anything else, as long as we beat Hearts.
    Well, I'll stick my hands up and say I'm not one of them.

If we'd managed 1 win over Hearts last season and 0 over dunfermline I'd be a sadder Hibee than I am right now.
    Mon the Hibs.

That comment about Rod Petrie is about as foolish a comment as I have seen on here. Rod Petrie would have been hurting just the same as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Well, I'll stick my hands up and say I'm not one of them.

If we'd managed 1 win over Hearts last season and 0 over dunfermline I'd be a sadder Hibee than I am right now.
    If we had the bottle to beat Hearts this season, we wouldn't have been anywhere near the foot of the table anyway.

Beating Hearts should be our top priority every season, the rest takes care of itself.

Gamer IDs

Can people not disagree with any semblance of civility any more? ;)

What YOU call paranoid crap, others call fight, passion, steel, backbone. I think it's obvious that we want this against ALL opposition but starting with Hearts is as good a place as any.

I want players who care about Hibs rather than pay checks. Those days are most likely gone now though because of money.

Or have they?

Ball players in the US get paid waaaay more than professional football players (generally speaking) but that doesn't stop them playing with passion. Some players don't show it, Manny Ramirez was one, but he had other qualities that made up for that. I'm trying to find a video trailer from a few years ago that was used prior to a Red Sox / Yankees game. Very motivational I would say. If I can't find it online I'll record it and upload it when I get back home.
    Last edited by HibsMax; 20-05-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Petrie has to go...............

there are clearly people on here that think that Petrie was hurting yesterday as much as I was - well why in all his years in charge has he done nothing about it.

He displays no passion for the club when I see him interviewed and would trouble motivating a kamikaze pilot. The man has no charisma, gravitas or more worringly anything appearing to resemble a plan for this club.

Drivel - I stand by what I said 100% - he will not have felt anywhere near as bad as I did yesterday, or we would have had his resignation this morning!!

Gamer IDs

there are clearly people on here that think that Petrie was hurting yesterday as much as I was - well why in all his years in charge has he done nothing about it.

He displays no passion for the club when I see him interviewed and would trouble motivating a kamikaze pilot. The man has no charisma, gravitas or more worringly anything appearing to resemble a plan for this club.

Drivel - I stand by what I said 100% - he will not have felt anywhere near as bad as I did yesterday, or we would have had his resignation this morning!!
    I'm clearly not 100% serious but I could care less if he didn't feel bad about the loss BUT at the very least he should feel something about the business he's running being a shambles. He doesn't need to support Hibs but if he's remotely interested in running a successful business he should care about that. If he neither supports Hibs or cares about the business then he's the wrong man for the job.

I have no clue how he feels though.

Totally agree!

Walking out of Hampden yesterday me and my brother said exactly the same thing - In Italy the fans would have burned the training ground down if their team had played like ours yesterday in a cup final against their biggest rivals. Can't remember who it was but recently in Serie A the ultras made the team give there strips to them because they were not fit to wear the strip. We just seem to accept it. Not condoning violence but if Skacel had done what he did after scoring his first yesterday at Easter Road in the eighties there would have been fans over the fence to get to him.

We have put up with a shocking derby record for far to long.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    I agree fully. Time to stop messing around, it's time to take back our city and our pride. Time to fight fire with fire not a simper.

Left by mutual consent!

Yes! Yes! Yes! And anyone who disagrees with this should **** off right now.
    We need to change our outlook!

Gamer IDs

I don't expect anyone who is not a Sox fan to feel anything from watching this video but it gets the hairs on my neck standing up every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGTW...e_gdata_player

I'm not calling for on-field skirmishes but tell me these guys don't care.

Nice post, more passion in those few paragraphs than i've seen at easter road for a long time.

Footballs not a sport anymore it's a corrupt business and scottish football is right in the thick of it. Were all frustrated and bitterly disappointed after that shameful performance yesterday. But, even if hearts went on to win the europa cup next year i'd always ALWAYS prefer to be a hibs man. Yes were turkish delight at the moment and the club needs restructered from petrie downwards but every gorgie giro casher is bricking it after mad vlads comments yesterday, he's off and theres no two ways about it!!!, let the rats dance in the street today and go home and pump their sisters tonight but our club will still be here in 5 years unlike theirs, the cup final win for them is just glitter on a turd, the problems behind the scenes will soon become evident just like their big brothers in govan. THEN WE WILL HAVE OUR DAY!!!!

GGTTH
    FTHMFC

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    I forgot.

We can start by kicking Billy bloody Brown into touch for a start. He is tainted with the stink of Gorgie and has to go.

I never want a man to lose his job .... but in this case I'm sure theres a position waiting for him just over the Forth.
    said that since calderwood was punted. BB GTF!