hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black challenge on Griffiths

Was at the game yesterday and got home but coudnt bare to watch the highlights of the game!! Was the Black challenge that bad and did he deserve a red card or was it just us clutching at straws? GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

On the street it would be classed as assault.

Sparky won the header, black led with his elbow and completely pole-axed him.. At the very least a yellow and a severe warning that it was his first and last foul before heading to the baths.. But a red wouldn't have been able to be argued with.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    In a normal game with a competent ref that would have been a red card, however.....

Looked at the very least a booking from where I was sitting.

Agreed that he's a wee thug but I'm still astonished that there's still Hibs fans who would not take him in their team. Strolled the game yesterday.

Likewise Barr. He was deemed not good enough for us when he eventually joined them.

Also, I hope Claros was injured when he was subbed as Ivan never touched the ball for the entire second half. Poor substitution IMO

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    We watched it when we got back and he knew exactly what he was doing

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Agreed that he's a wee thug but I'm still astonished that there's still Hibs fans who would not take him in their team. Strolled the game yesterday.

Likewise Barr. He was deemed not good enough for us when he eventually joined them.

Also, I hope Claros was injured when he was subbed as Ivan never touched the ball for the entire second half. Poor substitution IMO
    Claros was as mobile as a subbuteo man yesterday. Likewise Tom Soares. Whole midfield played like they'd been drugged.....I'd be asking for urine samples myself :-)

Did any of our players touch it? Ivan as soon as he came on got
    In there faces, but ultimately the penalty ended the game as a contest and they pinged the ball about there back 4 for 40 minutes

I thought it was a borderline red. The fact he wasn't even booked just goes to show the utter incompetence of the referee. It probably wasn't as bad as when Murrey took him out with an elbow at PBS.

He ran the show after that so if it was a red it may have made a difference. That, and the penalty were baffling decisions but we were so rank that I don't feel cheated.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    We watched it when we got back and he knew exactly what he was doing
    Black did what any good hard working midfielder would do. He laid down a marker to every other player saying come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. I'd love to a player of his ilk in our midfield.

Why did Claros , soares , Stevenson or osbourne not do the same. black peed all over them for the 4th derby in a row. Blacks good but let's not kid he is no Graeme souness.

Quote Originally Posted by justlikebrazil View Post
    Was at the game yesterday and got home but coudnt bare to watch the highlights of the game!! Was the Black challenge that bad and did he deserve a red card or was it just us clutching at straws? GGTTH
    If Black had done that while playing for Hibs yesterday he would have been yellow carded without hesitation.

He would then have been walking a tightrope for the remainder of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    If Black had done that while playing for Hibs yesterday he would have been yellow carded without hesitation.

Without a shadow of a doubt! Same with the penalty incident, had that been the other way about there is absolutly no danger that that clown Thompson would have given us it and our player would have been booked for diving!

Quote Originally Posted by LAHIBBY View Post
    Without a shadow of a doubt! Same with the penalty incident, had that been the other way about there is absolutly no danger that that clown Thompson would have given us it and our player would have been booked for diving!
    My one moment of rye amusement last night was reflecting on the outcome of just that very scenario.

Imagine Grainger with a tug on Griffiths jersey outside their area and then as he continues he dives inside the box. Stick-on yellow for Griffiths for simulation.

If it was to the detriment of anyone other than Hibs it would be quite comical.

i'll never know because i'll never watch the highlights or any footage of that game ever.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DuNdEeHiBeE
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post

with that clown as a ref if he played for us he would have been sent off

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    In a normal game with a competent ref that would have been a red card, however.....

What I don't think has been mentioned (granted I only saw it live at the game as I'm not watching highlights so it may not be 100 correct) if you watch the ref before he speaks to Black he looks over at Griffiths, at this point Griffiths is on his feet and ready to go, if Lee was a bit more wise he should have stayed down not moving (or one of our players should have rushed over and told him to stay still) I think then you would have seen at least a yellow for Black, look at Santana 5 mins later after the Kujabi challenge, he stayed down and a yellow was produced, seconds later he is running riot against a player on a yellow and then this leads onto what happened at the start of the 2nd half.

It just illustrates another difference between the two teams.

I am not not saying it's the right way to do things but 'do unto the man as he would do unto you'

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Sparky won the header, black led with his elbow and completely pole-axed him.. At the very least a yellow and a severe warning that it was his first and last foul before heading to the baths.. But a red wouldn't have been able to be argued with.

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post

These are accurate accounts of the incident which I have somehow managed to watch again on the V+ recording of the match which I set before leaving for Hampden yesterday!

Black should have been sent off for that assault and the game would have changed quite a bit I imagine! On top of that add the penalty that never was and there are two match changing decisions that were balatantly obvious to everyone who has seen them on TV and should have been even clearer to the officials who were in great positions on each to make the correct decision as opposed to the completely wrong decisions that were acctually made!

The guys I was at the match with had discussed the referee's likely performance before we reached the ground and sadly he matched our expectations 100%

However, like Mikey, our lot never looked like they were even remotely interested in winning the Cup Final which is the second time now that has happened against the Jumbos at Hampden in the last six years so we got what our lack of belief, effort, determination and will to win deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_S View Post
    I thought it was a borderline red. The fact he wasn't even booked just goes to show the utter incompetence of the referee. It probably wasn't as bad as when Murrey took him out with an elbow at PBS.

He ran the show after that so if it was a red it may have made a difference. That, and the penalty were baffling decisions but we were so rank that I don't feel cheated.
    Last edited by TornadoHibby; 20-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.

If we signed him we'd have to leave him out of every derby game.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Claros was as mobile as a subbuteo man yesterday. Likewise Tom Soares. Whole midfield played like they'd been drugged.....I'd be asking for urine samples myself :-)

The atmosphere and enthusiasm coming from the Hibs supporters yesteday should have had any players adrenaline pumping at high levels. Your suggestion for urine samples seems valid and should be taken very seriously. Do Hibs medical staff take blood or urine samples routinely before and after matches. The word lethargic describes the teams performance. The team (including McPake) presented as physically slow and mentally indecisive. To me this suggests one or more of - indifference,stimulant/sedative drug,alcohol abuse,incubating virus,significant reduction of white blood cells,inbalance with dietary intake or a tampering of fluid and food by persons unknown. I would rule out indifference.
    I believe a comparison of samples taken before,during the Dublin trip and yesterday morning would reveal the causative factor. Jokingly,last week on another thread I suggested that infecting the Hearts team with a virus or food poisoning would be more effective than physical injury during the Celtic game.
    Dont laugh or think I am mad looking for a conspiracy theory. Yesterday millions of pounds were at stake as the winner enters the last qualifying round in the UEFA cup.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Black did what any good hard working midfielder would do. He laid down a marker to every other player saying come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. I'd love to a player of his ilk in our midfield.

Why did Claros , soares , Stevenson or osbourne not do the same. black peed all over them for the 4th derby in a row. Blacks good but let's not kid he is no Graeme souness.
    You sure have come out the woodwork with a flurry of posts in the last day or so.

Not even sly IMO.
    Last edited by MSK; 20-05-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Nae need

Quote Originally Posted by Aldoo View Post
    What I don't think has been mentioned (granted I only saw it live at the game as I'm not watching highlights so it may not be 100 correct) if you watch the ref before he speaks to Black he looks over at Griffiths, at this point Griffiths is on his feet and ready to go, if Lee was a bit more wise he should have stayed down not moving (or one of our players should have rushed over and told him to stay still) I think then you would have seen at least a yellow for Black, look at Santana 5 mins later after the Kujabi challenge, he stayed down and a yellow was produced, seconds later he is running riot against a player on a yellow and then this leads onto what happened at the start of the 2nd half.

It just illustrates another difference between the two teams.

I am not not saying it's the right way to do things but 'do unto the man as he would do unto you'
    Thought exactly the same thing.

Thompson's decisions at crucial times favoured Hearts every time.

Anyone know what McPake was about at the end?

Left by mutual consent!

hkhibby

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_S View Post

It was never a Red Card, and yes Hibs were Terrible! no taking that away!, but the rubbish Hibs side made a mediocre Hearts side look good!...They are nothing to write about!

Agree that the wee fud is savvy.

He knew that Thompson would keep his cards in his pocket for the first few challenges otherwise he'd be making a rod for his own back.

That referee was not incompetent. If that had been the case he would have given controversial decisions against Hearts too. No, whether or not he is a closet Jambo or not I don't know but what I do know is that he has it in for us every time he takes one of our games. What we have done to upset him I have no idea but if Griffiths had gone down in the box like Santana did he would have booked him.

The decision not to book Black but then book Kujabi set the rules for the game as Hearts knew they would get away with almost anything but Hibs players were frightened to tackle too hard in case they also were booked.

Can you imagine Neil Lennon's reaction if those incidents had happened with Celtic but hey ho, we are Hibs and will accept anything with barely a whimper from our club officials.
    Last edited by James70; 20-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    You sure have come out the woodwork with a flurry of posts in the last day or so.

Not even sly IMO.
    I'm a tad upset about yesterday. Sorry but thought forums where about voicing opinions? Or are you a bit thick?

I'm a tad upset about yesterday. Sorry but thought forums where about voicing opinions? Or are you a bit thick?
    Just think it's a bit dodgy someone who's been on the forum for 5 year decides yesterday to post a lot, then sticks up for a Hearts player for essentially assaulting a Hibs player.

Left by mutual consent!
    Just think it's a bit dodgy someone who's been on the forum for 5 year decides yesterday to post a lot, then sticks up for a Hearts player for essentially assaulting a Hibs player.
    I'm sorry. Should I ask your permission before I post further?

And when did I stick up for black? I'd take him before any the dross in our midfield. Which of our players yesterday was better than black.

I'm sorry. Should I ask your permission before I post further?

And when did I stick up for black? I'd take him before any the dross in our midfield. Which of our players yesterday was better than black.
    I'm no stopping you from posting. Post all you want.

Well you pretty much condonded him elbowing Sparky in the face, did you not?

You asked why Claros, Osbourne, Stevenson or Soares never did the same. The obvious answer to that is, because they would have been sent off for it.

Blacks a legend in his own mind. Once he buggers off down to some lower division championship side, he'll be an absolute nobody.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm no stopping you from posting. Post all you want.

Well you pretty much condonded him elbowing Sparky in the face, did you not?

You asked why Claros, Osbourne, Stevenson or Soares never did the same. The obvious answer to that is, because they would have been sent off for it.

Blacks a legend in his own mind. Once he buggers off down to some lower division championship side, he'll be an absolute nobody.
    Thats bull. You hide behind the ref all you want. We'll never know if our players would have been sent off cos they could not lay a glove on any jumbo.

Our players never turned up. Our players should have got stuck into black but they bottled it. They bullied us all over the place.

Black was decent yesterday.

However I could probably look a competent midfielder if the opposing team gave me 15 yards of space and the cheat masquerading as a referee gave me immunity from the rules for 90 minutes.