hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Collins

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84

John Collins

Anyone hear him on real radio? Was speaking about Sporting integrity*and said Petrie has a cheek about goin on about it after what happened with him! Still sounds bitter!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    As much as it is clear that Petrie didn't handle that situation well, I fail to see how the two issues are connected.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone hear him on real radio? Was speaking about Sporting integrity*and said Petrie has a cheek about goin on about it after what happened with him! Still sounds bitter!
    Right or wrong, poor timing on JC's part.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Way to get behind the team, John.

Douchebag. As already stated, the two issues aren't even related. Not even close.

Not sure how there is a connection between his time at Hibs and the current situation regarding rangers and Petrie's statement.

FWIW ... I will remember John Collins as the man who won the League Cup with Mowbrays team and the manager who weeks later failed to get the best team we have had for 20 years past a bog standard Dunfermline team and into a final against the poorest celtic team for a decade ... talk about a missed chance.

I will also remember him as a man who didnt have the bottle to prove himself as a manager by making the best of a small budget.

Most of the great managers have started out by making a silk purse out of a sows ear. Ferguson, McLean, Stein et al.

Not by walking away like a whiny bitch coz it looked like the going was getting tough.

As a football manager Mr Collins is currently residing in the where are they now file.

Left by mutual consent!

He is knob!

Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    Not sure how there is a connection between his time at Hibs and the current situation regarding rangers and Petrie's statement.

FWIW ... I will remember John Collins as the man who won the League Cup with Mowbrays team and the manager who weeks later failed to get the best team we have had for 20 years past a bog standard Dunfermline team and into a final against the poorest celtic team for a decade ... talk about a missed chance.

I will also remember him as a man who didnt have the bottle to prove himself as a manager by making the best of a small budget.

Most of the great managers have started out by making a silk purse out of a sows ear. Ferguson, McLean, Stein et al.

Not by walking away like a whiny bitch coz it looked like the going was getting tough.

As a football manager Mr Collins is currently residing in the where are they now file.
    When he came in I said that the team would end up saying "aye right John" to his rubbish patter. And what did they do? That team won the CIS Cup despite him, not because of him. They all thought he was knob, you just have to look at their reactions and him walking about on his own on the pitch at the end.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Sounds like Collins isn't the only one who is bitter.

As per the bit in bold, if Collins won the cup with Mowbray's team (Mowbray couldn't win a cup with Mowbray's team) would it not also then be Mowbrays team that bottled it against Dunfermline? Or was it Mowbrays team when we won, and Collins team when we lost?

I'd have him Collins, with an assistant to help him, not Tomm Caig, back in a heartbeat. A fit, organised team with a manager who understands and actualy applies tactics. That's all I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post

As per the bit in bold, if Collins won the cup with Mowbray's team (Mowbray couldn't win a cup with Mowbray's team) would it not also then be Mowbrays team that bottled it against Dunfermline? Or was it Mowbrays team when we won, and Collins team when we lost?

I'd have him Collins, with an assistant to help him, not Tomm Caig, back in a heartbeat. A fit, organised team with a manager who understands and actualy applies tactics. That's all I ask.
    Aye like Kevin McCann at centre half against Inverness CT's bruisers?
    Or Boozy at Centre half against the Hun?
    Or a formation so shambolic against Celtic at ER that he had to hook Lewis after 15 mins?

Collins won us a cup, I'll always be glad for that. I always thought him a man of true sporting value and integrety and even if he's right, he should keep quiet.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Needs to let this go. If he was in any more denial about his role in what happened, he would be a stick on for a job at Ibrox

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    I just scrubbed my reply to all this as I don't want to start big arguements amongst ourselves at this important time in our history.
    Suffice to say though I am a J.C. fan

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Or a formation so shambolic against Celtic at ER that he had to hook Lewis after 15 mins?

Collins won us a cup, I'll always be glad for that. I always thought him a man of true sporting value and integrety and even if he's right, he should keep quiet.
    Memory might be playing tricks, but I recall Boozy doing ok in that role. Remember he got ridiculously sent off, but not that his performance was ridiculous. Was it?

Quote Originally Posted by reallapsedhibee View Post
    Memory might be playing tricks, but I recall Boozy doing ok in that role. Remember he got ridiculously sent off, but not that his performance was ridiculous. Was it?
    Can't remember truth be told, I remember he was sent off but don't recall the details of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post

Or Kevin Thomson at sweeper in a 3 at the back as we came back from 2 down at home to Aberdeen.

Or Murphy in at DM, keeping Scott Brown in his back pocket in a home win over Celtic.

The point is, he wasn't afraid to try things, and was excellent at reading a game and reacting. Rather than the succession of managers we've had who would wait until we conceded before reacting, which by then the game was gone.

I am an interested spectator at how he gets on at Livi, doing the job I feel he should have been doing at us. Be it as manager or in some other capacity, Director Of Youth Development or some such.

Aye, quite right, get him back so we can see a goalkeeper who's never allowed to kick the ball upfield as he always has to play from the back

Get him back so we can see a 5 foot guy weighing 7 stone in a wet duffel coat play centre half against the Sheep

Aye, let's get him back, I mean harmony in the dressing room is the last thing we want

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    I just scrubbed my reply to all this as I don't want to start big arguements amongst ourselves at this important time in our history.
    Suffice to say though I am a J.C. fan

GGTTH
    I am also a JC fan and I'll remember him firstly as a wonderful player who left us in the right way (if such a thing is possible). Whatever the rights and wrongs of his time as manager, in this instance he is dead wrong and bang out of order saying so.

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    [/B]

Aye, quite right, get him back so we can see a goalkeeper who's never allowed to kick the ball upfield as he always has to play from the back

Get him back so we can see a 5 foot guy weighing 7 stone in a wet duffel coat play centre half against the Sheep

Aye, let's get him back, I mean harmony in the dressing room is the last thing we want
    All hail those professional athletes we have had the last 5 years or so!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    All hail those professional athletes we have had the last 5 years or so!
    Instead of walking away, why didn't he play those who did buy into his method of living life?

He walked away because he couldn't get his own way on a number of things, for me he acted like a spoilt brat.

Nobody can take away his cup win, one of the best days of my life and for that i will be eternally grateful.

Whats he doing now with all this untaped football genius he has?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Instead of walking away, why didn't he play those who did buy into his method of living life?

He walked away because he couldn't get his own way on a number of things, for me he acted like a spoilt brat.

Nobody can take away his cup win, one of the best days of my life and for that i will be eternally grateful.

Why the snide "untaped football genius" comment?

He's currently at Livi, in a Director of Football/Youth Development capacity. Personaly, I feel livi's gain is very much our loss.

Why the snide "untaped football genius" comment?

He's currently at Livi, in a Director of Football/Youth Development capacity. Personaly, I feel livi's gain is very much our loss.
    Why no answer to why he walked? He left us in the lurch imo because he did not have the bottle for a fight. He's much too arrogant to be a manager, he cant tollerate anyone who does not have his vision, his man management skills are zero.

I knew he was at Livi, you must be surprised he's not at a major Premiership club, me personally i'm surprised he's at Livi, and fully expect him to walk out sometime next season if they are not romping the 1st division.

Promising Youngster Biff Tannen's Avatar
    [QUOTE=BOVRIL;3229412]Not sure how there is a connection between his time at Hibs and the current situation regarding rangers and Petrie's statement.

As a football manager Mr Collins is currently residing in the where are they now file.[/QUOTE]

Spinal Tap

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reallapsedhibee View Post
    Boozy had a brilliant game in that role

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VPHIBEE View Post
    When he came in I said that the team would end up saying "aye right John" to his rubbish patter. And what did they do? That team won the CIS Cup despite him, not because of him. They all thought he was knob, you just have to look at their reactions and him walking about on his own on the pitch at the end.

Was he not upset because of Sunshine on Leith making him think of his Dad? Thats how I remembered it anyway.

Collins had that team playing better football than Mowbray IMHO, and I will always thank him as just as much as the team for winnning the CIS cup.

That being said, his comments on something that happened 5 years ago know are totally unrelated and poorly timed. Reeks of sour grapes - although having said that, if I had been in that position and not recieved the support I should have gotten from the Chariman I would be pretty PO'd too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Or Kevin Thomson at sweeper in a 3 at the back as we came back from 2 down at home to Aberdeen.

Or Murphy in at DM, keeping Scott Brown in his back pocket in a home win over Celtic.

The point is, he wasn't afraid to try things, and was excellent at reading a game and reacting. Rather than the succession of managers we've had who would wait until we conceded before reacting, which by then the game was gone.

I am an interested spectator at how he gets on at Livi, doing the job I feel he should have been doing at us. Be it as manager or in some other capacity, Director Of Youth Development or some such.
    It was mogga who played Thomo as sweeper.

JC was a romantic. The game at IIbrox when he first started at Ibrox where he insited in playing the ball out fae the keepr and they swamped us. He didn't have a plan b.

He was brave to make subs early when things weren't working.

He had zero man mangement skills. And couldn't spot a player. His signings were grim.

Brilliant to get Roger Propos on board.

JC I believe has a role to play at a fitba club - behind the scenes working perhaps with the youths.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    [/B]Was he not upset because of Sunshine on Leith making him think of his Dad? Thats how I remembered it anyway.

Collins had that team playing better football than Mowbray IMHO, and I will always thank him as just as much as the team for winnning the CIS cup.

That being said, his comments on something that happened 5 years ago know are totally unrelated and poorly timed. Reeks of sour grapes - although having said that, if I had been in that position and not recieved the support I should have gotten from the Chariman I would be pretty PO'd too.
    Dont get this bit. Other than meet with the players en masse (rightly or wrongly depending on your opinion of Rod's duties) how else did Rod not give "the support" he should have gotten?

Left by mutual consent!

hkhibby

Well said...totally agree, never liked the man

Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    Dont get this bit. Other than meet with the players en masse (rightly or wrongly depending on your opinion of Rod's duties) how else did Rod not give "the support" he should have gotten?
    Exactly.

There is this myth that hangs around that Rod 'backed the players'

The players were told at that meeting that whilst their concerns were noted, JC was the boss and that was that.

JC remained in his position and several of the ring leaders of the 'rebellion' were shipped out the club in the summer.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    financially in the transfer market?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    [/B]Was he not upset because of Sunshine on Leith making him think of his Dad? Thats how I remembered it anyway.

He was supported by Petrie, who also wanted him to stay as manager, although i dont know why?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

He did didn't he? The likes of Stevensons and Mcann.

The truth probably lyes somewhere in the middle, yes there was an element of acting like a spoilt brat, but I'd imagine a lot of that was born out of frustration at being unable to change the culture within the club. I don't think the subsequent 5 years since Collins paints him in a negative light. We've had a squad being told half way through a season they weren't fit enough!

Not sure where you got your impression from that I must be dissapointed he is not managing in the Premiership. I see Collins as a guy that has made his money from a hugely successfull career, and as a result can pick and choose what projects he wants to work on, if indeed working on any at all.

He did didn't he? The likes of Stevensons and Mcann.

Others bought into his ideas too, they just had minds of their own as well, something Collins couldnt handle imo.

The truth probably lyes somewhere in the middle, yes there was an element of acting like a spoilt brat, but I'd imagine a lot of that was born out of frustration at being unable to change the culture within the club. I don't think the subsequent 5 years since Collins paints him in a negative light. We've had a squad being told half way through a season they weren't fit enough!

So you agree he acted like a spoilt brat, probably due to frustration i agree. His management skills were shown up to be what they are by his walking away. Managers with fight and vision see it through, he bailed out because he couldn't get his own way and was not up to the battle for the long run.

Not sure where you got your impression from that I must be dissapointed he is not managing in the Premiership. I see Collins as a guy that has made his money from a hugely successfull career, and as a result can pick and choose what projects he wants to work on, if indeed working on any at all.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head, he's fine when things are going well, but is that financially secure, he can just walk away at the slightest set back. He's never going to get a huge job in the EPL without doing his apprenticeship first, and he's not showing any signs so far of doing that imo.