hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

Starting XI v Inverness?

Grant, Towell, Booth, Murray, O'Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Sproule, Soares, Stanton, O'Donovan, Doyle

I've picked this team on he basis that a straight red card or potentially injury would rule any of our starting eleven out of the Cup Final and that's not a risk I'd like to take with any of our first team picks, other than where lack of match practice dictates another run out might be helpful.

Some might say giving Grant his debut could be a gamble but I'd rather see him enter the Cup Final with a first team start under his belt rather than potentially being thrown into the fray with no first team experience at all.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Grant, Towell, Booth, Murray, O'Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Sproule, Soares, Stanton, O'Donovan, Doyle

I've picked this team on he basis that a straight red card or potentially injury would rule any of our starting eleven out of the Cup Final and that's not a risk I'd like to take with any of our first team picks, other than where lack of match practice dictates another run out might be helpful.

Some might say giving Grant his debut could be a gamble but I'd rather see him enter the Cup Final with a first team start under his belt rather than potentially being thrown into the fray with no first team experience at all.

Thoughts?
    Funny that's the same team I said to my dad walking home

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Grant must play next week. Too much of a gamble risking any injury to Brown and gives Grant a wee bit of experience.

I think your team is almost spot on bar Soares.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DylanCrosbieI9I
    take soares out put young stanton in & caldwell for o'donovan

Thoughts?
    100%

Maybe 45mins as Brown will still be wanting game time as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Grant

Towell O'Hanlon Stephens Booth

Wotherspoon Murray Stanton Sproule

Caldwell Doyle

To miss final think it has to be a direct red for violent conduct ( ie not 2 yellows ) . Suppose we won`t risk important players with recent injuries like McPake or Soares . IF Stack is definitely unavailable for final even as a sub , then Grant should probably get his chance ( we might have given him or Antell chance if we hadn`t been in final anyway ) and would like to see Doyle and O`Donovan get 90 minutes up front ( can`t risk Griffiths or GOC and haven`t heard Ross Caldwell`s name mentioned recently ) . O`Hanlon should play , useful to have an experienced defender if we field a young goalie , and if fit maybe Murray too though I wouldn`t have him near cup final team or bench . Scott and Stephens seem to be excluded from present set up but as they have contracts this may be a chance for them to play . Likewise Booth . I suppose Galbraith is injured . In final we have only 5 subs including goalie so not much room for manouevre . Back in 1979 I remember Tony Higgins broke his leg about 3 months before final and suddenly made a comeback a week before final as a late sub in E of S Shield against Meadowbank Thistle at ER - he looked very overweight but went on to play really well mainly as a sub in all 3 games in final but don`t think a fully fit Ian Murray would improve present team .

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    Grant

Towell O'Hanlon Stephens Booth

Wotherspoon Murray Stanton Sproule

Caldwell Doyle
    In retrospect I'd probably put Murray into midfield and go with your centre back pairing.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Could the players that were out on loan play? I.e welsh, handling, taggart etc. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd divisions are finished.

Win by 2 goals and we`re tenth . Think there`s at least 50,000 quid difference between 10th and 11th so should be looking for a win while resting players .

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Win by 2 goals and we`re tenth . Think there`s at least 50,000 quid difference between 10th and 11th so should be looking for a win while resting players .
    Nah, winning the Scortish Cup is worth far more. I few of the players who are on the fringes on of the team should get some game time

Left by mutual consent!
    Grant
    Towell
    Stephens
    O'hanlon
    Murray
    Sproule
    Wotherspoon
    Stanton
    Booth
    Caldwell
    O'donovan

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Grant

Francomb
    O'Hanlon
    Stephens
    Booth

Wotherspoon
    Scott
    Stanton
    Murray

Caldwell
    O'Donovan
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

First Team Breakthrough sparkiedelpaco7's Avatar
    Grant

Francomb O'Hanlon Murray Smith

Sproule Stanton Wotherspoon Booth

Doyle O'Donovan

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Grant
    Francombe
    Stephens
    O'Hanlon
    Murray
    Ivan
    Spoony
    Towell
    Booth
    Doyle
    O'Don

I would keep Doyle in the team because I think he would benefit from more game time, if he put in another performance like tonight Fenlon would have a very tough decision on his hands for the final.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Anyone that played tonight that is 100% fit at the weekend should play. Let's get another victory and have the boys going into the final absolutely brimming with confidence. Maybe bring grant on at some point in the second half.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Anyone that played tonight that is 100% fit at the weekend should play. Let's get another victory and have the boys going into the final absolutely brimming with confidence. Maybe bring grant on at some point in the second half.
    I can see you logic but for me its too risky, also I would have the 16/17 players who you are likely to be in the final squad at training on wednesday preparing for the final. Saturday is now a game were we can go into with no pressure and give the fringe players a bit of game time.

Does anyone know, is it pay at the gate same as last time in Inverness?

It's not going to be an entirely second string side.

PF will have a good idea of his team line-up for the Cup Final, including the 5 substitutes. So I reckon he'll play this Saturday a few of those who will start on the 19th, a few of those who are expected to be on the bench that day and a few 'others'.

Probable team for the Final(?):

Brown

Doherty McPake Hanlon Kujabi

Osbourne Soares Claros Stevenson

O'Connor Griffiths

Subs: Grant, O'Hanlon, Doyle, Francomb, Wotherspoon

So I would make the team this Saturday:

Brown

Francomb O'Hanlon Hanlon Murray

Wotherspoon Soares Claros Sproule

Doyle Griffiths

Subs: Grant, Caldwell, Doherty, O'Donovan, Towell, Booth, Stanton

The intention would be to give Grant the second 45 minutes, to bring on Caldwell for Griffiths after an hour and for the last 20 mins either Booth for Murray or Stanton for Sproule.

(Easy this management business, eh? )
    Last edited by BEEJ; 08-05-2012 at 08:09 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Thoughts?
    Completely agree about this team and also I think it is important to give Grant some first team experience. Suppose could be the argument that another game for GOC however personally would arrange a bounce game rather than an SPL one.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    It's not going to be an entirely second string side.

PF will start with what he currently has down as his team for the Cup Final, including the 5 substitutes. He'll then play on Saturday a few of those who will start on the 19th, a few of those who are expected to be on the bench that day and a few 'others'.

Probable team for the Final(?):

Brown

Doherty McPake Hanlon Kujabi

Osbourne Soares Claros Stevenson

O'Connor Griffiths

Subs: Grant, O'Hanlon, Doyle, Francomb, Wotherspoon

So I would make the team this Saturday:

Brown

Francomb O'Hanlon Hanlon Murray

Wotherspoon Soares Claros Sproule

Doyle Griffiths

Subs: Grant, Caldwell, Doherty, O'Donovan, Towell, Booth, Stanton

The intention would be to give Grant the second 45 minutes, to bring on Caldwell for Griffiths after an hour and for the last 20 mins either Booth for Murray or Stanton for Sproule.

(Easy this management business, eh? )
    Personally wouldnt have Sparky anywhere near the game this weekend.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

needs to be 3

caley -20

us - 25

Think you will find that we would have to win by 3 goals to achieve that.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Think it has to be three clear goals as they are five better off than us.

Agree with the sentiments of the team selelction though. I would suggest it is very important we give the young keeper the 90 mins against Inverness both to totally protect Brown (an injury can happen as easily in the first minute as it can in the last and we cannot afford to have him injured) and to give Grant some much needed first team experience.

Mixu and Shiels were saying last night that the players will all wanting to play to keep themselves match fit. That might be the case but we also need our back up players to be match fit too so O'Hanlon, Wotherspoon and Sproule should all start against Inverness.

definetly play bobo in goals, last thing we need is our no.1 missing the final, rest mcPake + GOC, i dont want another Sauzee situation to arise, ozzy could also do with being on the bench,

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    Fenlon said a few weeks back Grant would start when relegation was confirmed just incase things go wrong with Brown in or before the final.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
    definetly play bobo in goals, last thing we need is our no.1 missing the final, rest mcPake + GOC, i dont want another Sauzee situation to arise, ozzy could also do with being on the bench,
    It nearly did yesterday when in possibly his only slack moment of the night, quite near the end, McPake let a Par outpace him over by the East, and subsequently launched himself to try to prevent the subsequent cross. I winced.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Led to believe that Stanton will be in the pool for the Inverness game

Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Led to believe that Stanton will be in the pool for the Inverness game
    which one the commonwealth

Team for Saturday

Grant

Towell---O'Hanlon---Stephens---Booth

Claros

Wotherspoon---Monoghan---Stanton

Caldwell---Doyle

Team for the final

Brown

Doherty---McPake---Hanlon---Francome

Soares---Ozzy---Claros---Lewis

O'Connor--Griffiths
    Subs

Grant
    Kujabi
    Spoony
    Doyle
    Sproule

Left by mutual consent!
    It is a hard one as we can get extra cash by winning by a few goals but that is a tall order even with our best team so I would prioritise the final.

The next dilema is whether to rest players and keep them safe for the final or whether to give them another game to keep them ticking over and keep moral and confidence high. The management and medical team will know which players would benefit from a rest and which players need another game. I'd say maybe a mixture of first team and "reserve" players on Saturday.

Team for Saturday

Grant (can't afford an injury to Brown with Stack out)

Francome or Towell
    O'Hanlon
    Stephens
    Booth (if fit??????????) or Francome

Sproule or Francome or Towell
    Claros
    Soares
    Wotherspoon (if fit????) or Framcome or Towell

Doyle
    O'Donavon

McPake, G O'C and Griffiths should be nowhere near Inverness on Saturday as all three are too important for the final and too likely to get injured or involved in "incidents".

Team for final

Brown

Doherty
    McPake
    Hanlon
    Kujabi

Osbourne
    Claros
    Stevenson
    Soares

O'Connor
    Griffiths
    Last edited by The Sea-gull; 08-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.