hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

So. Are we keeping McPake & Griffiths?

A few weeks ago I stated that McPake was on 9k per week at Coventry (I actually put 9000k by mistake). I was advised that this was total pash and that he was on nothing like that amount.

Well, now I am hearing that Griffiths is on 13k at Wolves.

My argument, on the basis that I am correct, is that we simply can't hold on to these players. Views?
    Last edited by judas; 07-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few weeks ago I stated that McPake was on 9k per week at Coventry (I actually put 9000k by mistake). I was advised that this was total pash and that he was on nothing like that amount.

My argument, on the basis that I am correct, is that we simply can't hold on to these players if my figures are correct. Views?

Do you seriously believe that Griffiths is on 13k a week? Seriously?
    Would doubt that his basic will get anywhere near half of that figure.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    I don't know. But he is contracted to Wolves is he not? These clubs have money to play with and I would not expect £13k to be out of place there, even for a fringe player.

My argument, on the basis that I am correct, is that we simply can't hold on to these players if my figures are correct. Views?
    If their actual earnings are even half of those figures you've quoted, and the relegation at their respective clubs does not lead to their release from those clubs in the summer, they will indeed be playing their football back down South next season.

I would expect that both are on 5k a week at most! If we can give them 2-3k a week and a signing on fee I think they will come. Nothing will be agreed until we sort out what league we are in next year!!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

My argument, on the basis that I am correct, is that we simply can't hold on to these players. Views?
    I actually laughed out loud sitting at my desk at work reading that! You cant possibly believe thats true?

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    I definitely read that when McCarthy was still in charge at Wolves that Griffiths was no longer needed there. Now there's a new boss in place and theyve been relegated, im not so sure. There's no way Griffiths is a PL player but could see him being a team player for Wolves in the Championship.

McPake is anybodys guess, obviously the passions there but whether he sees a future with us is unclear. If he is on those sort of wages though Coventry will no doubt be looking to get rid as im sure they're in the financial muck and relegation will not have helped them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I actually laughed out loud sitting at my desk at work reading that! You cant possibly believe thats true?
    To be honest, I am pleased you find it ridiculous and I hope it is (in fact I am feeling buoyed by my apparent mis-calc).

But if average earnings in the premiership (befor bonuses) are now just over £22k then surely I cant be far of the mark for Griffiths?

Gamer IDs

To be honest, I am pleased you find it ridiculous and I hope it is (in fact I am feeling buoyed by my apparent mis-calc).

But if average earnings in the premiership (befor bonuses) are now just over £22k then surely I cant be far of the mark for Griffiths?
    I read the other week that Danny Wellbeck was close to getting a new contract at Man Utd, and that at current he is on £15k a week. I find that believeable. If Leigh Griffiths agent managed to talk Wolves into paying him even half of that a week then he's bloody good at his job!

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Trouble is........even if it is half of that amount, its still twice what the top end of Hibs Salaries are (as I understand the position.........)
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

I don't know. But he is contracted to Wolves is he not? These clubs have money to play with and I would not expect £13k to be out of place there, even for a fringe player.

Your saying that you are being told he is on 13k, then you are saying you dont know what hes on? Bizarre!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    Trouble is........even if it is half of that amount, its still twice what the top end of Hibs Salaries are (as I understand the position.........)
    and i'd be surprised if he's on half of £15k a week.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar

Given that the average will be massively skewed by Tevez, Rooney et al., without having done any calculations I'd guess that a player right at the bottom of that food chain, i.e. a squad player at a relegation fodder club, i.e. Sparky, would have to be on considerably less than £22k for the numbers to add up. Ah ken there's more players in the league like Sparky than there are like Tevez, but Man City's squad alone must drag the average salary up by a ridiculous amount.

Are you jesting?

Remember the PL average includes the likes of Tevez, Yaya Toure, Rooney, etc who are on in excess of £250,000 a week.

Wolves are nowhere near the top payers in the PL as is evidenced by their relegation this season.

Griffiths was signed from Dundee so they would not exactly have to push the boat out to given him a big pay increase. He is not going to be on anywhere near the top wages within the Wolves team.

And normally to earn bonuses a player has to play for the first team or at least make the squad.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Sure I heard that a fee of £100k for McPake was part of the loan deal

@hibs.net private member
    Your saying that you are being told he is on 13k, then you are saying you dont know what hes on? Bizarre!
    Correct. I am being told. But is it correct? I am speculating.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Sure I heard that a fee of £100k for McPake was part of the loan deal
    As in we had to pay 100k to get him on loan, or thats a future fee to get him on a permanent deal?

Gamer IDs

Naw. It's no correct. You can now tell people that you're being told he's on considerably less than that.

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Tht Jonsson is on 12k at Wolves but he is a 1st team player and would of been on a decent amount at Hertz also. There is no way a surplus to requirements squad player coming from Dundee is on more than this. anyone know what Fletch is on there?

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    As in we had to pay 100k to get him on loan, or thats a future fee to get him on a permanent deal?

Deal was a loan with option to buy for £100k

Ya Ya Toure is on £280k a week .. and the top sides players earn multi-millions .. meaning to get an average of £22k there have to be many on much much lower than this eg LG. £13k is miles off the mark IMHO.

@hibs.net private member HibeeMassive's Avatar
    McPake told me last week there's a significant difference between what he's on at the moment and what he believes Hibs pay - what he did say though is that the duration of his next contract would be far more important to him than the salary, within reason I'd imagine.

There had been no discussions up to last Sunday, focus being on the league position then any talks would follow.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Deal was a loan with option to buy for £100k

Thats a steal! Hopefully wages can be sorted.

And I am being told that Lord Lucan has spent his entire time in hiding in a treehouse down Leith Links, apparently he was spotted canoodling with Port Of Leith owner Mary Moriarty.

Erm........Was Christian Daily no on £28k a week at West Ham? The moral being, Anythings possible.

Testimonial Due
    I would have thought McPake would be doing well to be on 5k per week down there, and if Griffiths is on any more than 2-3k I would be very surprised given the was an unknown signed from a club where he was maybe on £600-£800 per week.

Money aside it is all going to come down to where we are playing next season, and that will be more from their point of view than Hibs I would have thought.

I would take Griffiths no doubt and McPake we will just have to wait and see.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    I won't say how i know, but £13K a week?.......He doesn't even get 1/4 of that at Wolves.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Auld View Post
    I won't say how i know, but £13K a week?.......He doesn't even get 1/4 of that at Wolves.
    how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMassive View Post
    McPake told me last week there's a significant difference between what he's on at the moment and what he believes Hibs pay - what he did say though is that the duration of his next contract would be far more important to him than the salary, within reason I'd imagine.

There had been no discussions up to last Sunday, focus being on the league position then any talks would follow.
    All depends how much demand there is for McPake else where really. If not much, then quite likely offering 3/4k a week on a three year deal as club captain and figurehead might well be attractive enough.

Likewise, Griffiths might well take the most attractive offer up here to be with his kids (presuming they're based in Scotland). Then again, Wolves are losing Fletcher and Doyle so being a Championship squad player and having extra cash for his family might sway it.

Hard to say. With total bias, I'd hope Hibs have made enough of an impression on both that money issues would be easily overcome.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    If LG is on 13k apparently what on earth must Matt Doherty, George Francombe and Tom Soares be on?