hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Goal Line Technology

As the title suggests... yay or nay? I'll opt for yes as an Andy Carroll style moment against them in our Cup Final would be too much to live with... Thoughts of the Hibs community please? (Apologies if this question has been posed before and I've missed it!)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    The linesman got this spot on today, not needed IMO, we'd have nothing to discuss with all this fiddling with the laws of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The linesman got this spot on today, not needed IMO, we'd have nothing to discuss with all this fiddling with the laws of the game.
    On live view it looked in to me. The replay I still think it crossed the line just.

I have only seen the ESPN angle though, maybe itv was different.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not wanted IMO, regardless of whether the linesman was right or wrong today.

BUT - did the referee initially give it today? Play certainly seemed to stop without the ball going out (some chelsea player hoofed the ball vertically from in the 6yd box). Surely, if the ref did stop play at that point, there should have been a drop ball restart from inside the chelsea 6yd box?

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    On live view it looked in to me. The replay I still think it crossed the line just.

I have only seen the ESPN angle though, maybe itv was different.
    ITV pictures suggest the whole of the ball wasn't over the whole of the line. By the proverbial (or perhaps literal) bawhair.

And a big huge yes from me for goal-line technology. Accuracy and impartiality trumps pub arguments every time.

Using the technology on ITV where they were able to show you an angle from above the bar, it looked in by a baw hair! Cannae blame the lino though.

At least we agree on bawhairs!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    At least we agree on bawhairs!
    At my delicate stage in life, these margins are highly valued.

@hibs.net private member s2hart's Avatar
    To me all the ball wasn't over the line, so correct call by the linesman, I just hope he doesn't get hounded by the English press like all the other officials when it's come to close calls, whether right or wrong!

It's not fiddling with the laws of the game, it's ensuring the laws are properly applied in the most critical situation of all, i.e. whether a goal's been scored or not.

All it needs is a goal line camera and an official reviewing the footage, not any of this stupid electronic beeps within a second stuff that FIFA seem hellbent on. The referee asks for a review - goal or not? - the other official gives his/her view, having watched the replay, and the goal is given or not. It works in rugby, it's still a human decision, it doesn't take long and it's much fairer than the current system.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    I'll say no, assuming that the technology will be used by twats like Andy Townsend. Umpteen replays and he still didn't have a clue.

Personally, I've always felt it never takes anything away from Wimbledon etc... almost adds to the excitement these days... I'd be sick as a parrot if Hibs were ever denied a lawful goal.

Left by mutual consent!
    I personally think football wouldn't be the same without some controversy. Thats just me though.

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    I wanted it to be a goal but it wasn't mate...

The ball wasn't completely over the line so there would be no "Andy Carroll style" moment to live with in our cup final!

Fantastic call by the linesman and an outstanding save by Petr Cech.

Quote Originally Posted by just_joe View Post
    I personally think football wouldn't be the same without some controversy. Thats just me though.

First Team Breakthrough Kenny1875's Avatar
    Not sure why you wouldn't want it. There can still be controversy without goals which should count not being given.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    For me goal line technology would need to be universal, sure you may get it at Easter Road, but you're not going to get the technology at Shielfield Park for Berwick Rangers vs East Stirlingshire. The best thing about football is that everything is constant, whether you play Sunday league or in the World Cup final a decision still has to be reached by the referee. By introducing goal line technology you take that away and suddenly certain groups get preferential treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt & Sauzee View Post
    For me goal line technology would need to be universal, sure you may get it at Easter Road, but you're not going to get the technology at Shielfield Park for Berwick Rangers vs East Stirlingshire. The best thing about football is that everything is constant, whether you play Sunday league or in the World Cup final a decision still has to be reached by the referee. By introducing goal line technology you take that away and suddenly certain groups get preferential treatment.
    It could be argued that very few Sunday League games have affiliated 'assistant referees' (in fact, things like goal nets aren't available at many of the lower echelons of the game), and slightly further up the chain there's no sign of bye-line assistants until UEFA tournaments. There are many differences at various levels as to make technology the next viable advancement at the higher levels, and in time, the installation of cost-effective goal-line cameras (and human observer) at all levels of the professional game. After all, you can get a reasonably decent CCTV package ootay Maplins for the cost of a couple of pairs of sw.a.n.ky fitba' boots.
    Last edited by Greentinted; 06-05-2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Overzealous sweary filter

h18 hsv Makes alot of good points and with them i d say no to goal line technology.

One other point i feel i d ask if say there is an incident did the ball cross the line/did not does the game stop and goes to a video ref?
    Imagen the scene, you are chasing a game, 1 -0 down and the incident acours,Now our keeper has the ball in his hands and has a chance to pounts it /throws the ball out we have a 5 on 2 advantage here,(so we are attacking here) and the incident happens and well the play is stoped and the goaline ref delcares it a no goal.
    Now the defending team has time to get players back and we have lost our 5 on 2 advantage.I know its a weird sernario but a worthwhile point i feel.

They should definitely have it IMO.

Yesterday's 'goal' was too close for a referee/linesman to be 100% sure either way so it's difficult to say its an injustice, although it would be good to have a definitive answer.

It's more important we stop blatantly wrong decisions - goals given like Chelsea's in the FA cup semi and goals not given like Lampard's in the world cup and that Spurs goal at Old Tradford a while back. Now the tech ology is available, it makes sense that we should test it. If we weren't awarded a goal like Lampard's in the final, I'd be raging.

Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    I suppose if the fans want it badly enough it'll come because that's who will pay for it.
    Purchase,installation, maintenance, calibration.
    If it was adopted there may have to be changes in the rules if it stopped working during a game. Abandon the game?

Still not convinced, appeal against the goal and request that the set up is checked for accuracy.

We should also be able to introduce diving technology where contact is measured. A computer simulation would calculate the probable outcome and if it differed then the player going down dived.

The goal line technology could even be used to ensure throw in were correct.

Offside decisions could also be included. the technology is there now.

Or

We could all go watvch two people play the game on the play station. that would cut costs.

Oh, Did I say no? No, don't fancy it.
    Can you imagine we had it yesterday, they'd still be on the park now arguing goal or no goal? It looked in at first, then a great save. Even last night watching match of the day, the picture from above the crossbar to me looked in, but my mate said no. Leave things as they are, if we do we will still have interesting debates like this every week.

There's NO video in the proposed goal line technology.

Its a system similar to the anti theft things you see just inside store doorways.

The ball wholly crosses the line a signal, noise, goes off in the refs and ass refs earpieces.

No delays, no replays, no 3rd 4th or 5th referees reviewing anything.

Given the number of shops protected by the system I might suggest its relatively cheap to install and maintain too.
    Space to let

Aye, so :-)

No goal yesterday.

Yes bring in goal line technology.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Its a system similar to the anti theft things you see just inside store doorways.

The ball wholly crosses the line a signal, noise, goes off in the refs and ass refs earpieces.

Given the number of shops protected by the system I might suggest its relatively cheap to install and maintain too.

Ok thanx for explaining it to me jack

I was thinking it ll be sometihng alone the lines of the rugby/tennis thing but hey what do i know.
    I just hope if it is what you have discribed then they d be some sorta signal from the ref/linesman or whoever to indicate it being a goal, tohugh im sure this part of the set up of the whole goal line technology would be easy.So thanks again for explaining it to me

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

If it was like shop theft technology we would be better off without it, that stuff is unreliable and certainly doesn't require anything crossing a definitive line to activate it!

I was absolutely gutted yesterday that it wasn't given as a goal obviously, whether it was across the line or not I'm not sure either way so no complaints from me, sweet revenge for Chelsea over the Garcia CL goal I suppose.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 06-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.

If you go within 20 feet of those things in some shops, the claxons go off and there's flashing lights everywhere.

Left by mutual consent!
    What is the point of goal line technology when it doesn't always work?

I've seen it happen in rugby, cricket and now football where it's inconclusive.

Leave it to the linesman and ref I say and get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    I take the point on the technology but it would have to be vastly different from the system you use as an example.
    There are a number of false alarms due to shoppers passing the system inside shops with no intention of leaving the shop, It may be based on this but would have to be far more technical.

The trials already made used a ball which had a network of chips inside the ball which were picked up by a number of sensors on the goal line.
    The benefit was that the signal was picked up regardless of players in the goalmouth. So the players were effectively rubbed out of the picture.
    Bound to be cheap until it's required and ratified by FIFA.
    Computer software and monitoring systems.

It would be good to have a season which concentrated on this issue and have the number of times it would have been useful in each league. the resulting table would indicate the true need and give an average cost per incident for each associations outlay.

A game that can be played on any piece of relatively flat ground as long as you have a ball.
    While I remain in the pro camp, I agree with this approach, particularly the highlighted statement.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlest Hobo View Post
    What is the point of goal line technology when it doesn't always work?

I've seen it happen in rugby, cricket and now football where it's inconclusive.

Leave it to the linesman and ref I say and get on with it.
    It works perfectly well at Wimbledon so I don't see a problem with similar technology on a goal line. Rugby and cricket rely on cameras rather than goal line technology do they not? Certainly rugby uses video replays which sometimes are inconclusive due to bodies blocking the view of the ball. Goal line technology is completely different.