hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Sunshine on Leith"...Best time to sing it ?

This song is so inspirational and the Hibs fans singing it have been praised far and wide when we sing it. But at the Final when would be the best time to sing it,bearing in mind a couple of things,firstly when the team appears there will be the brilliant card display,which will take up both hands,SOL looks great with all the scarfs and flags held up.Would a pre arranged start to SOL say 10 mins before ko be good,it would need to be 10 mins before because of the pre match presentation etc.Followed by the card display as the team comes out. In our last Final and last weeks semi it was played at the end of the game(it will this time too) and it had the music to it. We can't wait until the end of the game,i think the team hearing it in the dressing room and in the tunnel would inspire them even more,i can just see James McPake banging his fist on his chest and shouting to his team mates "C'mon thats what it means to tens of thousands of Hibs fans,lets do it,get intae them " Any thoughts guys ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fit o' the walk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This song is so inspirational and the Hibs fans singing it have been praised far and wide when we sing it. But at the Final when would be the best time to sing it,bearing in mind a couple of things,firstly when the team appears there will be the brilliant card display,which will take up both hands,SOL looks great with all the scarfs and flags held up.Would a pre arranged start to SOL say 10 mins before ko be good,it would need to be 10 mins before because of the pre match presentation etc.Followed by the card display as the team comes out. In our last Final and last weeks semi it was played at the end of the game(it will this time too) and it had the music to it. We can't wait until the end of the game,i think the team hearing it in the dressing room and in the tunnel would inspire them even more,i can just see James McPake banging his fist on his chest and shouting to his team mates "C'mon thats what it means to tens of thousands of Hibs fans,lets do it,get intae them " Any thoughts guys ?
    Right after the third Hibs goal without reply enters the net!

First Team Breakthrough 7-Heaven's Avatar
    End of the game, once we've won

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Right after the third Hibs goal without reply enters the net!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-Heaven View Post
    End of the game, once we've won

If the players aren't up for this game then they never will be, save it for that impossibly sweet moment of victory.

First Team Breakthrough Persevere80's Avatar
    sounds a good idea, and i got a wee shiver thinking about it, but we will all know when the time is right.

First Team Regular
    I know it's very unlikely, but should we go down more than 2, I think if we show solidarity scarfes and flags waving and everyone of us sing that song. Should show them how much it means to us.

I think before the game is a good idea, and when we win, I hope Tv cover it like the CIS cup

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    End of the game, once we're won!! unfortunately because it's a slow song with gaps between the lyrics, it would probably get drowned out quite easily if sung during the game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post

If the players aren't up for this game then they never will be, save it for that impossibly sweet moment of victory.
    Was speaking to a retired professional footballer today who has played in Cup semis but never made a final. He said that the biggest problem is dealing with nerves not getting up for the game. He felt that the nervous energy drained him rather than helped him and that is why Rangers and Celtic usually do better in the big games. They traditionally cope better due to the experience. He thinks whoever deals with their nerves the best will be well on their way to winning. Imagine how nervous we are and compare that to how the players are feeling as they come out on the pitch.

You never know a rendition of Sunshine on Leith could heighten the tension rather than helping it! Lets save it for McPake or Murray lifting the Cup!

All the ******g time! We should sing it win lose or draw and not just at the end of the game. The yams have np anthem they can sing whilst we will always do! GGTTH

I think at half time as well, winning, losing or drawing.

All the ******g time! We should sing it win lose or draw and not just at the end of the game. The yams have np anthem they can sing whilst we will always do! GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    it definately wont be a draw

Coaching Staff
    when 3-0 with a minute to go or when the cup is being paraded in green and white.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    it definately wont be a draw
    My point was we should sing ot whether we are winning, losing or drawinh! And we should sing it every week!

Can anyone tell me when they last heard a good rendition of SOL without the music being played?

Unlike most of our other chants/songs, it's not an easy one to get going so needs the music to keep everyone together.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post
    Can anyone tell me when they last heard a good rendition of SOL without the music being played?
    On the train back from Mount Florida after the Ayr United League Cup Semi-Final at Hampden.

The emphasis was on 'Sorrow, sorrow....'!

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post

Unlike most of our other chants/songs, it's not an easy one to get going so needs the music to keep everyone together.
    Think ayr away was the best attempt i have heard, although a lot of folk skipped onto the chorus. Still a cracking effort though.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    At the end when the lads go up to lift the Scottish Cup.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think some people need to find something to take their mind of the game, such as a girlfriend.

FFS, we'll be debating whether the players should have matching underwear next. For the record, Sunshine on Leith is a disaster every time it is played. The fans don't know the words, they don't know the tune, and it takes too long to get to the one bit that everyone can sing along with.

See that time they played it agains AEK Athens? The next thing that happened was that the opposition scored. Worth thinking about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Can you tell me the words of the first verse - without looking up Google?

First Team Breakthrough N.Wales Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    I think some people need to find something to take their mind of the game, such as a girlfriend.

FFS, we'll be debating whether the players should have matching underwear next. For the record, Sunshine on Leith is a disaster every time it is played. The fans don't know the words, they don't know the tune, and it takes too long to get to the one bit that everyone can sing along with.

See that time they played it agains AEK Athens? The next thing that happened was that the opposition scored. Worth thinking about.

What a great idea, Filled Rolls. I am now going to start a new thread on the players underpants. I think they should be matching green with white piping down either side.

Can you tell me the words of the first verse - without looking up Google?
    All the words

My heart was broken, my heart was broken
    Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow

You saw it, You claimed it
    You touched it, You saved it

My tears are drying, my tears are drying
    Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
    My tears are drying, my tears are drying

Your beauty and kindness
    Made tears clear my blindness
    While I'm worth my room on this earth
    I will be with you
    While the Chief, puts Sunshine On Leith
    I'll thank him for his work
    And your birth and my birth.

Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow

While I'm worth my room on this earth
    I will be with you
    While the Chief, puts Sunshine On Leith
    I'll thank him for his work
    And your birth and my birth.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

First Team Regular
    Maybe just stick to the usual chants for durin the game then

And save SOL for when we win

Definatly needs to be sung at the start of the game (after the card display) and at some point during the game. All the scarfs up, everyone singing top of their lungs. This would/should give our players a massive lift and hopefully inspire them to win!

I remember watching a documentary a wee while ago about when Liverpool won the champions league in Istanbul. At half time, they were 3 nil down, and while the teams were in the dressing room the whole liverpool crowd started belting out "You'll Never Walk Alone". The players heard this in the dressing room and must have helped inspire them to produce the remarkable come back and go on to eventually win it.

Sunshine on Leith looks absolutely amazing when its in full flow, with all the hibs fans joining in with the scarfs up! Watching the footage of us singing it after we won the cup in 2007 still to this day nearly brings a tear to my eye!

Lets get it going, and no doubt the jams will try to do their cringeworthy little twirly thing at the same time but wont look half as good compared to us !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus Hibby View Post
    What a great idea, Filled Rolls. I am now going to start a new thread on the players underpants. I think they should be matching green with white piping down either side.
    Where would you put the sponsiors logo though? These things need lots of thought and planning.

First Team Breakthrough N.Wales Hibby's Avatar
    Where would you put the sponsiors logo though? These things need lots of thought and planning.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Hasn't stopped me from thinking about it

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Where would you put the sponsiors logo though?
    Where the sun doesn't shine.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Sunshine on Leith is a dirge that took the oomph out of the atmosphere t the AEK Athens game

It's emotional and retrospective, it's not uplifting and action orientated. Time to sing it would be at the end only

It just doesn't work in the pre-match build up. It can be an atmosphere killer at times. Keep it for the end.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.