hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Just Back (from the schmugby)

Edinburgh v Toulouse....first ever competitive rugby game. Brilliant. 38,000 at the game. Booze at your seat, Free flags for the bairns. Great positive atmosphere. Pumping music. Live action on the big screens and replays. Loads of decent food available. Live music pre and post match outside the stands.

Football and Hibs have a lot to learn from this.

I had a great day. £15 for me. £5 for the boys.
    Last edited by Hibby Bairn; 07-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edinburgh v Toulouse....first ever competitive rugby game. Brilliant. 38,000 at the game. Booze at your seat, Free flags for the bairns. Great positive atmosphere. Pumping music. Live action on the big screens and replays. Loads of decent food available. Live music pre and post match outside the stands.

just posted very similar on the today's matches thread

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    To be fair is it not the rugby equivelant to Hibs getting to the last 16 of the Champions league or something like that? Edinburgh usually get a very low support (c. 2k).

I've no doubts however that it would have been a cracking atmosphere, and was a fantastic win for Edinburgh.
    Mon the Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough HibbyRod's Avatar

And a great result too!

Well done Edinburgh!

2 pro teams in scotland, cheap prices, and a European quarter final and they only got 38,000??? That's poor imo. For a champions league 1/4 final Hibs and or hearts would have filled murrayfield.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

I'm not a huge fan of rugby, but their product is a LOT better than the football package (apart from that the main feature is, of course, rugby).

But then, the same could be said of most other sports. Football is overpriced, very customer unfriendly, filled with hateful supporters who can't discern banter from bile, predictable (particularly in the SPL) and worst of all, unwilling to do anything about it.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Does anyone know what the average salary would be for the Edinburgh players? Is it anywhere near £1k - £1.5k that a lot of SPL footballers get?

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post
    2 pro teams in scotland, cheap prices, and a European quarter final and they only got 38,000??? That's poor imo. For a champions league 1/4 final Hibs and or hearts would have filled murrayfield.

Plus rugby is a pile of nonsense. They just make up the rules as they go along.

One minute these peeled triceratops style meat-statues are savagely kneeing each other in the face willy nilly. The next the ref's given a penalty for triangular dispensation - but the ball went out of play within the 15 second (or three yards - which ever fluctuates the most egregiously within the given time=space equation known as eH) advantage variance zone so...so bollocks, basically.

I'd rather watch a nil nil draw in the saturday morning church league on a wet and windy january day at fisherrow, whilst standing in my underpants drinking the chilled urine from a yak, than watch any game of rugby.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Does anyone know what the average salary would be for the Edinburgh players? Is it anywhere near £1k - £1.5k that a lot of SPL footballers get?
    It's about the same, maybe slightly higher. However a lot of these players play international rugby too, just shows how far in the wrong direction football has gone.

Oh...and when Hibs go along to find out about HOW they put the product on for the matchday experience they should take their groundsman along to learn how to put on a lush, smooth pitch with no sandy, cut up and bare bits all over the place. Unless there is some micro-climate near to Murrayfield then there is no reason why our pitch should be in such a dismal state.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post
    Of course, as Rugby is such a huge sport in Scotland isn't it?

Schools need to promote it more, as it's only the private schools and a handful of state schools that do so and that leads to a lack of supply of good players.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Oh...and when Hibs go along to find out about HOW they put the product on for the matchday experience they should take their groundsman along to learn how to put on a lush, smooth pitch with no sandy, cut up and bare bits all over the place. Unless there is some micro-climate near to Murrayfield then there is no reason why our pitch should be in such a dismal state.
    How many games are played at Murrayfield in the average year? Genuine question, I've no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Tó Madeira View Post
    Of course, as Rugby is such a huge sport in Scotland isn't it?

Schools need to promote it more, as it's only the private schools and a handful of state schools that do so and that leads to a lack of supply of good players.
    Is this really true? While obviously outside of private schools rugby lags far behind football in popularity, as far as I know almost every state school has a rugby team. What more should they be doing?

I'm of the opinion that football is more popular because it's a better sport, both to play and to watch.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I understand there is a massive divide between the "stars" of the Scottish pro teams - some of whom I believe are between £100k - £200k per year - and the more bit part players, who may be on anything between £20k - £40k. This is relatively uninformed though so I'd be keen to hear from people who have more of an accurate idea.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    It was a fantastic afternoon and they got it spot on in terms of the marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post

One minute these peeled triceratops style meat-statues are savagely kneeing each other in the face willy nilly. The next the ref's given a penalty for triangular dispensation - but the ball went out of play within the 15 second (or three yards - which ever fluctuates the most egregiously within the given time=space equation known as eH) advantage variance zone so...so bollocks, basically.

I'd rather watch a nil nil draw in the saturday morning church league on a wet and windy january day at fisherrow, whilst standing in my underpants drinking the chilled urine from a yak, than watch any game of rugby.
    My favourite post. Now and forever

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BauerPower911
    Quote Originally Posted by Tó Madeira View Post
    It's about the same, maybe slightly higher. However a lot of these players play international rugby too, just shows how far in the wrong direction football has gone.

So with less regular supporters and no big tv money deal they are able to pay their players as much as many of our players earn. Assuming this is right, we really could do without the old firm and the tv deal.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar

That's my attitude

First Team Breakthrough

Not a fan of the egg chasers then ?

First Team Breakthrough West Upper's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: v HiiB3RNI4N x
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    It was a fantastic afternoon and they got it spot on in terms of the marketing

A quick check on t'internet suggests that there are 2 or 3 on around £100k (£2k a week) but they're the exception, not the rule. I haven't found anything yet to show what the others are on.

If it's nearer to £30k a year then it's easy to see how they can charge £15 and £5.

I'd be interested to know how much money they made out of today. Comments I've seen suggest that both Edinburgh and Glasgow are living beyond their means.

Wow !!!!!
    You really saying that football is played strictly by the rules and there is no simulation ,feigning injury and generally CHEATING going on every match / week. ?
    " They just make up the rules as they go along." you say According to a great number of football fans think referees do that at every game never mind the players so what's your problem with rugby ?
    Suggest you get out more and see what goes on in the real sporting world
    You must be easy pleased

Well done Edinburgh Rugby , great result

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny1875 View Post
    Not a fan of the egg chasers then ?
    Agree at least if you want your argument to carry some
    Weight know something of which you speak
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

Maybe the pricing is more realistic but food, free flags and pumping music? Give us a break! Thats not what I hope for when I go to Easter Road.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Over a century ago a schoolboy picked up a football and ran away holding it. Unfortunately he was never caught and punished. Worse, the sport of rugby was born.

The middle classes have taken a foul and called it a sport.

One burly guy hoofs the ball out of play, then another burly guy throws it back in again. Then they all jump on each other and play is stopped. When its restarted another burly guy hoofs the ball out of play. Then when its thrown in they all jump over each other in a mass orgy again. Repeated for 80 minutes.

Promising Youngster ThirdManRun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park

And that would make you a bit of a toss pot.

Why not just celebrate an Edinburgh victory against the odds? Savoured in a 30k plus crowd with a pint in hand.

Over a century ago a schoolboy picked up a football and ran away holding it. Unfortunately he was never caught and punished. Worse, the sport of rugby was born.

One burly guy hoofs the ball out of play, then another burly guy throws it back in again. Then they all jump on each other and play is stopped. When its restarted another burly guy hoofs the ball out of play. Then when its thrown in they all jump over each other in a mass orgy again. Repeated for 80 minutes.
    While I broadly agree with your unflinching critique of rugger, I'm pretty sure that the bit in bold is an urban myth (or seeing as it's rugby, perhaps a leafy suburban myth).

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar

Are you describing Rugby? or our season?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Surely this is in the wrong forum?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

would've went along today had I not been goin to hampden next Saturday.
    great result. good on them!