hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good post.

It's evident that something in Hibs scouting department is malfunctioning.
    This is what we are talking about. Can't believe a poster on here asked "do other clubs hold scouts in high regard.?"
    Of course, there are many outstanding scouts that are held in regard.
    Now more than ever scouts are critical in that identifying talent can naturally improve performance and earning a few
    bob for the club.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    I'm firmly in he camp of asking questions. I also read the replies. It's clearly been stated we don't have a chief scout. Period.
    if you want his job description I suggest you ask for that. He can call himself whatever he likes on is LinkedIn page but he has put down his current job title: scouting coordinator.
    all coordinators I've known have been admin posts. Imo he's a PA who organises meetings and books taxis.
    Must be hard coordinating all that scouting. Maybe he needs an assistant and a PR wallah to help him out. Chuck more money away on spreadsheet nudgers.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Thanks for the replies. So he is definitely our head scout?

Did he have a similar role elsewhere previously?
    It says there isnt a chief scout. His role sounds like an admin/co-ordination role at the behest of the manager. Most managers I would assume will have their own contacts and networks so not sure how important this role is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Matty the evidence has been on the park for the last few years that our scouting department, if not Woodison himself, is no good.

How did a proper scouting department not realise that De Graaf and Hart were well past it. To sign them was bad, to make them 2 of our highest earners on longish contracts was criminal.

How have yesterdays opponents been so good at bringing players from the lower leagues and developing them into SPL players. Prince Buaben, Danny Swanson, Gary Mackay-Steven. They've also brought through some cracking youngsters: David Goodwillie, Scott Allan, Johnny Russell.

Dundee United aren't the only ones. On a smaller budget Moherwell are sitting in 3rd place and identified a great wee player in Ojamma, Killie play some decent football and have won a trophy this year. Add to that they have brought in a striker from the Irish league who is well into double figures for goals and another who was sold to Wigan for a tidy profit. They have also brought through a hugely talented young keeper. Although there are other circumstances even Hearts managed to identify Ryan Stevenson, we got Jimmy Scott!

The board are quick to tell us we are backing the manager and are paying as much or more than anyone outwith the OF and Hearts. So why are we seeing so little return? Surely 5 managers can't all be wrong. It's my opinion the problem lies elsewhere at the club and our scouting department needs to be questioned.
    Great post PB. With the facilities we have and the opportunity a stable Hibs ought to present (I know, I know) for quality young players to get games in, we ought to have the very best scouting system in the country. We certainly don't, therefore it's completely understandable that fans ask the Woodison's of this world: WTF are you chaps doing?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    It's either the same guy or his doppelgänger.

He's in this photo apparently.... http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20...262950_2379348

All I know of the guy who played for Killie is that he is 27 (just) so would have 26 and 4 months when this was taken and is a mere 5ft9in and Calderwood, also in the pic, is 6ft.

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Matty the evidence has been on the park for the last few years that our scouting department, if not Woodison himself, is no good.

How did a proper scouting department not realise that De Graaf and Hart were well past it. To sign them was bad, to make them 2 of our highest earners on longish contracts was criminal.

How have yesterdays opponents been so good at bringing players from the lower leagues and developing them into SPL players. Prince Buaben, Danny Swanson, Gary Mackay-Steven. They've also brought through some cracking youngsters: David Goodwillie, Scott Allan, Johnny Russell.

Dundee United aren't the only ones. On a smaller budget Moherwell are sitting in 3rd place and identified a great wee player in Ojamma, Killie play some decent football and have won a trophy this year. Add to that they have brought in a striker from the Irish league who is well into double figures for goals and another who was sold to Wigan for a tidy profit. They have also brought through a hugely talented young keeper. Although there are other circumstances even Hearts managed to identify Ryan Stevenson, we got Jimmy Scott

The board are quick to tell us we are backing the manager and are paying as much or more than anyone outwith the OF and Hearts. So why are we seeing so little return? Surely 5 managers can't all be wrong. It's my opinion the problem lies elsewhere at the club and our scouting department needs to be questioned.
    Good post.

Dundee Utd have shown us it is possible to build a cup winning side and continue to have relative success by identifying and nurturing potential.
    This is what was ment to happen at Hibs - we've regressed massively.

As for Jimmy Scott, he wasn't the best performer in that County side by a long chalk. Michael Gardyne, for one, looked a much better prospect and as chance would have it he's off to... yes, you've guessed it... Dundee Utd.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Great post PB. With the facilities we have and the opportunity a stable Hibs ought to present (I know, I know) for quality young players to get games in, we ought to have the very best scouting system in the country. We certainly don't, therefore it's completely understandable that fans ask the Woodison's of this world: WTF are you chaps doing?
    Professional looking infrastructure in terms of stadium and EM maybe being supported by the sort of guys who take the names at the door of the Bowling club or are in charge of the bingo markers?

I agree totally that we do seem to be miles behind the Arabs and Motherwell for example on the scouting front and I think its been like this for a while and has become institutionalised and therefore harder to shift or improve. Far too many negatives that are likely to have been products of this system - Just don't know how we seem to get it so badly wrong when others more often than not seem to do better. Won't be fixed overnight but surely this is the next area to reorganise?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Professional looking infrastructure in terms of stadium and EM maybe being supported by the sort of guys who take the names at the door of the Bowling club or are in charge of the bingo markers?

I agree totally that we do seem to be miles behind the Arabs and Motherwell for example on the scouting front and I think its been like this for a while and has become institutionalised and therefore harder to shift or improve. Far too many negatives that are likely to have been products of this system - Just don't know how we seem to get it so badly wrong when others more often than not seem to do better. Won't be fixed overnight but surely this is the next area to reorganise?
    Our scouting system or the lack off it is a joke. We have the infrustructure of a top club. But we don't operate as a top club. I'd say Hutchie Vale is better run.

Our Fitba dept is run by an accountant and his scouting co-ordinator is not even 30 year old and has done noithing in the game. But he is allowed to go and look at players. I wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Isn't this the sort of thing that the Q&A was supposed to clear up?

He's scouting co-ordinator, not chief scout. Surely they're two entirely different things?
    That's how I would read it - ie basically an admin role. However, as other posters have said, it would be interesting to see how this compares with the scouting set up at other SPL clubs.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 NO 1 View Post
    Our scouting system or the lack off it is a joke. We have the infrustructure of a top club. But we don't operate as a top club. I'd say Hutchie Vale is better run.

Our Fitba dept is run by an accountant and his scouting co-ordinator is not even 30 year old and has done noithing in the game. But he is allowed to go and look at players. I wonder why.
    Co-ordinating bit troubles me more, whatever it actually involves co-ordination features strongly! - so if it that means directing, planning or anything similar that some other scouts do / look for then I guess we have been seeing the end products of this system in recent years?
    Maybe one tells the others what agents dvd's to watch and the other one knows how to switch it on? Can't fathom what the benefit is in terms of players "scouted" and what they have brought by way of value against the cost of the facilities and the particular role.

Still no answer to the earlier question asked on this thread - "Isn't he supposed to be related to somebody on the board?" Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Baker9 View Post
    Still no answer to the earlier question asked on this thread - "Isn't he supposed to be related to somebody on the board?" Who?
    Rumoured to be relative of SL - but he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Rumoured to be relative of SL - but he is not.
    Thank you for clearing that one up. I did wonder, with the Kille connection, and I am pleased for SL's sake that they are not related.