hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Captain

Lewis Captain

is this the first time?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    In a competitive game yes, was captain against Raith one preseason, sure he supported them as a laddie and it was his birthday on the night of the game?!

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a competitive game yes, was captain against Raith one preseason, sure he supported them as a laddie and it was his birthday on the night of the game?!
    That's right . I was at that game. Worst rain i have ever seen in fife that night. Game got called off.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    That's right . I was at that game. Worst rain i have ever seen in fife that night. Game got called off.
    Same!

Remember it running down the street like a river Lol

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    is this the first time?
    Don't know but it should certainly be the last time. A player with lots of loyalty and effort but weak in character and technical ability. Fails to inspire the fans and his team mates. Has spent half the season apologising for misplaced passes and for a player tha should have been shown the door a couple of seasons ago - to now be the pivitol midfield choice and captain, says all thats wrong with the current team.

I don't mean to be hard on him, as he's honest and committed but he's never captain material in a million years. I'd be amazed if he was ever captain of his school or boys club team.
    Last edited by Capt Mainwaring; 24-03-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Mainwaring View Post
    Don't know but it should certainly be the last time. A player with lots of loyalty and effort but weak in character and technical ability. Fails to inspire the fans and his team mates. Has spent half the season apologising for misplaced passes and for a player tha should have been shown the door a couple of seasons ago - to now be the pivitol midfield choice and captain, says all thats wrong with the current team.

I don't mean to be hard on him, as he's honest and committed but he's never captain material in a million years. I'd be amazed if he was ever captain of his school or buys club team.
    That's exactly how your post has come across to me. Thought he was one of the few players to merit pass marks today and, as you acknowledge, has been pivotal in our midfield for a good few months now. A pity there aren't a few more with his level of commitment.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC

I don't mean to be hard on him, as he's honest and committed but he's never captain material in a million years. I'd be amazed if he was ever captain of his school or buys club team.
    So he is honest, committed and loyal but not captain material... in that team? Maybe not a club captain in an ideal world but there was nobody in that squad that I preferred to captain us today. I think he's one of the few players that actually has inspired the fans this season given how positive his reviews have been this season relative to the rest of the squad.

I like Lewis a lot and his performances this season demands hes a regular first teamer, but his personality doesnt suit to being a captain. Not that that had any bearing on todays result.

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    That's exactly how your post has come across to me. Thought he was one of the few players to merit pass marks today and, as you acknowledge, has been pivotal in our midfield for a good few months now. A pity there aren't a few more with his level of commitment.
    Pass marks today - really!! You are easy pleased. If thats a pass mark benchmark - then your accepting relegation here and now.

Stephenson and the rest of the midfield stood back and watched Ian Black run the show last week and failed to impose themselves on the game this week.

Stop making excuses for this spineless bunch of sub standard no marks.

It's all relative. He's been pivotal in one of the weakest midfields in the SPL.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    There's no one in that team that deserves the captaincy more imo.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    ill be honest before the start of the season I didnt rate Lewis at all but recently he has improved massively IMO and is one of the first names i would have on the team sheet just now.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    He's the captain I'd have picked today as well but it's really too much to ask for him to lead us out of this mess. We're desperate for proper leadership in the team, we need McPake back ASAP and signed permanently.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't mean to be hard on him, as he's honest and committed but he's never captain material in a million years. I'd be amazed if he was ever captain of his school or boys club team.

A very limited player who will be many supporters player of the year showing just how far we have sunk in our acceptance of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    He's the captain I'd have picked today as well but it's really too much to ask for him to lead us out of this mess. We're desperate for proper leadership in the team, we need McPake back ASAP and signed permanently.
    Don`t know if McPake is the man especially if he`s going to have fitness problems ( remember Yogi missing a lot of matches as captain ) but big priority for next season in SPL or not should be to find a good captain . We seem to have lacked leadership on park since Sauzee left . Suspect next captain will be a new signing this summer .

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

he was the only serious contender for that honour today, i concur with everything else

First Team Breakthrough Badabing's Avatar
    Says it all about the state of our club that he was made captain. We've had O'Connor (lol), Hanlon and McPake who I rate but jesus had no sooner arrived. Sad times indeed.

Don't know how you can say he's weak in character and technical ability.

Of all the players in the squad I think he's the one who shows the most character. He never hides, always makes himself available for a pass (even in tight areas) and never stops fighting. Doesn't seem the most confident type, granted, but he's never less than wholehearted. Fenlon was right to reward him with the captaincy.

As for his technical ability, I'll give you he's not the most creative. But I'd like to see his stats for pass completion. Reckon he must be the tidiest passer of the ball we have, which is an under-rated skill. How often did Osbourne/Claros give the ball away cheaply today?

We've so many problems with the team and club as a whole. Lewis Stevenson isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

A very limited player who will be many supporters player of the year showing just how far we have sunk in our acceptance of mediocrity.
    .... but mediocrity would be a blessed relief from the horror shows we've been subjected to this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    My thoughts too. McPake is a leader on the pitch. In his absence yesterday, Stevenson would be my choice.

I really cant believe another thread on Lewis's inabilities!!
    No wonder there is so much negativity on this board,

Get off his back please and let him enjoy the fact that at least he is playing well in a rubbish team!

He is loyal and hard working and knows what it means to graft so why shouldnt he be captain for the day. Hi si no leader in the form of McPake but he has burst a gut all season for that team and even then some of you try to knock the stuffing out of him!

You moaned when the captaincy was given to Gary and Ivan now its Lewis. The manager gave thought him up to the job even though Hanlon was available!

No matter how bad Hibs are at the moment it will always be a honour to captain HIBERNIAN FC, let him enjoy it!!!

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    I really cant believe another thread on Lewis's inabilities!!
    No wonder there is so much negativity on this board,

Get off his back please and let him enjoy the fact that at least he is playing well in a rubbish team!

He is loyal and hard working and knows what it means to graft so why shouldnt he be captain for the day. Hi si no leader in the form of McPake but he has burst a gut all season for that team and even then some of you try to knock the stuffing out of him!

You moaned when the captaincy was given to Gary and Ivan now its Lewis. The manager gave thought him up to the job even though Hanlon was available!

No matter how bad Hibs are at the moment it will always be a honour to captain HIBERNIAN FC, let him enjoy it!!!
    He was rubbish yesterday and last week. Why should he be untouchable? This Lewis love in masks the fact we have the weakest midfield seen at ER for many a long year. Didn't even notice he was captain yesterday.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Sorry for being so harsh but I'm afraid to say he's just utter pish.

Don't doubt he's got a great attitude but that just disguises his total inability when he's got the ball. If our strikers aren't going to score, and let's face it rod and griffiths offer pretty much zero threat to any half decent team, then.we need our midfielders driving forward but for some reason Lewis is unable to even muster a shot on goal, he was so far away from our forwards yesterday and that's what caused our problems, can anyone imagine him running through on their goal like there midfield did for the first goal yesterday?

I know ill get slaughtered for this post but imo we'd be a far better team if we dropped him and pushed ozzie back in the middle with claros

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    My thoughts too. McPake is a leader on the pitch. In his absence yesterday, Stevenson would be my choice.
    Totally agree. He was the obvious and deserved choice for Captain in McPake's absence.

The wee man was not at his best yesterday but he still outshone his midfield "Casper" like colleagues.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Not getting involved in the tiresome is Lewis good enough debate but has any other team had 6 captains in a season? Or is it 7??

Only at Hibs...

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Lewis has been decent for us this season, but i want better than decent for Hibs. To be fair to him, he's in this team on merit.

There's a few who'd be replaced before him imo, Claros yesterday was awful, and O'Sbourne struggled all game to find a green shirt, and was shown up a number of times for lack of pace.

Tom Soares was another who did the Brian Kerr role superbly, although he has been injured a lot, but we only have him for a dozen games at most, and he's missed more than he's played.

We'd not be having a pop at Stevenson today if he'd not been made captain, there's a list as long as my arm of players who deserve a thread of there own before Lewis today.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Lewis has been decent for us this season, but i want better than decent for Hibs. To be fair to him, he's in this team on merit.

There's a few who'd be replaced before him imo, Claros yesterday was awful, and O'Sbourne struggled all game to find a green shirt, and was shown up a number of times for lack of pace.

Tom Soares was another who did the Brian Kerr role superbly, although he has been injured a lot, but we only have him for a dozen games at most, and he's missed more than he's played.

We'd not be having a pop at Stevenson today if he'd not been made captain, there's a list as long as my arm of players who deserve a thread of there own before Lewis today.
    I would be, him being captain is irrelevant to me.

I think claros can potentially control a game and at least has some vision, imo Stevenson brings nothing to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I would be, him being captain is irrelevant to me.

I think claros can potentially control a game and at least has some vision, imo Stevenson brings nothing to the party.
    Bingo, for me him being captain is irrelevant too, and i too dont think he's a player i feel good enough to take us into a position of strength in this league. Lewis imo gives his all every game, he never hides.

What lets him down again imo is his limited ability, strength and pace. This season he's been far from the worst, and imo undeserving of being singled out before others.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Bingo, for me him being captain is irrelevant too, and i too dont think he's a player i feel good enough to take us into a position of strength in this league. Lewis imo gives his all every game, he never hides.

What lets him down again imo is his limited ability, strength and pace. This season he's been far from the worst, and imo undeserving of being singled out before others.
    So you think he's got limited strength, ability and pace but shouldn't get criticised cos he tries hard?

Sorry nut that's out problem, its the lack of quality so of course he should be open to criticism the same as everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    So you think he's got limited strength, ability and pace but shouldn't get criticised cos he tries hard?

Sorry nut that's out problem, its the lack of quality so of course he should be open to criticism the same as everyone else
    No Bingo, i think he is a limited player and said so as you quoted. Although yesterday he was given the captains armband, which was his first game i think as captain of Hibs?

And because he was given the job, this was picked up obviously and used as a tool to rip into him, when as i said before, there should be numerous threads imo about most of the others, who were all just as pish or even worse than Stevenson was yesterday.