hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 v Old Firm

Blog Entries

10 v Old Firm

All kicking off now...with 10 holding meeting on April 12th to try and change voting

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Great to hear but let's see if we bottle it again

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great to hear but let's see if we bottle it again

I fear this may happen.

I nearly boaked at the comment that bidders for Rangers would be put off with the idea of a change to the voting system...and?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post
    I fear this may happen.

I nearly boaked at the comment that bidders for Rangers would be put off with the idea of a change to the voting system...and?
    All the more reason to do it then

The problem with Scottish football is it's full of short sighted money grabbing losers. the Scottish game was in a better place before rangers decided to strangle any sort of competitiveness out of our game. Our current business model is heavily reliant on the OF and this needs to change. there's leagues out there that get nowhere near the amount of cash we get and they still manage to out perform us. That says more about our game than anything i can say.

Time to stand up to the OF and take a financial hit in the short term becasue it can only be good in the long term for scottish fitba'.
    Last edited by sh00byd00; 21-03-2012 at 06:02 PM.

The whole reason for this voting system was due to OF greed. If a new system puts off Rangers buyers frankly who cares, they didnt care about the financial health of everybody else when they were using this system to keep all the cash And Celtic can GTF too.

If it comes to the 10 resigning from the SPL they should do it.

I would like to see what the cash split percentage is in England or Spain or Italy. I would bet that the top clubs get more TV cash coz they are on more and they finish high up the leage, but I bet its not written in stone that they get a Lions share of the cash from the initial agreement before a ball is kicked and even at that I bet their percentage of the whole pot is less than the OF here.

Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    I bet its not written in stone that they get a Lions share of the cash from the initial agreement before a ball is kicked and even at that I bet their percentage of the whole pot is less than the OF here.
    There's a lot of myth about the TV money.

Around half of the money is split equally between the clubs and the other half is divvied up by league placing AFAIK. Yes, the top two places get a disproportionate percentage of the 50% (although the percentage of the total isn't that big) but there is nothing written in stone that the 'lions share' has to go to the Old Firm. If Motherwell finish 2nd, they'll get the bigger share (as Hearts did when they finished 2nd).

Blog Entries
    Apparently Celtic are furious about this....

They wouldn't even look back if they were given any encouragement to pursue English leagues....Hell mend them

I just hope Well make a shed load out of CL next year and Celtic get pumped out at first opportunity.....

Time for change or SPL is busted

Catch 22 is that a change to the 11-1 voting system needs an 11-1 vote if favour of the change.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    At the moment the rule changes the 10 want to implement require to be passed by a " Qualified Resolution " ( 90% in favour ) of the whole of the SPL.

However the 10 do have a gun to point at the head of Rangers ( in administration ). Under clause 14 (2) of the SPL Articles of Association a member in administration can be expelled from the league by a Qualified Resolution which I would think they would not have a vote on.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    At the moment the rule changes the 10 want to implement require to be passed by a " Qualified Resolution " ( 90% in favour ) of the whole of the SPL.

However the 10 do have a gun to point at the head of Rangers ( in administration ). Under clause 14 (2) of the SPL Articles of Association a member in administration can be expelled from the league by a Qualified Resolution which I would think they would not have a vote on.
    Don't Rangers lose their voting rights whilst in administration? If so, they're, just, over the 90%.

@hibs.net private member
    Really hope the clubs can stand up to Celtic. Last time we had any competition to OF Dundee Utd got to the European Cup semi and Aberdeen won the Cup Winners Cup. About time change happened as there are more than 2 clubs in Scotland. BBC report as follows

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17467025

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post

Around half of the money is split equally between the clubs and the other half is divvied up by league placing AFAIK. Yes, the top two places get a disproportionate percentage of the 50% (although the percentage of the total isn't that big) but there is nothing written in stone that the 'lions share' has to go to the Old Firm. If Motherwell finish 2nd, they'll get the bigger share (as Hearts did when they finished 2nd).
    Out of the 2nd 50%, 1/3 goes to the top 2, with the other 2/3 getting it shared, based on league positions. An example of a share of £7.5m
    1st - 1.3m
    2nd - 1.2m
    3rd - £760k
    4th - 700k
    5th - 640k
    6th - 580k
    7th- 520k
    8th - 480k
    9th - 420k
    10th - 360k
    11th - 300k
    12th - 240k

So most league positions are a difference of £60k but there is a half a million pound difference between 2nd and 3rd

The OF have spent years telling the rest of us they don't need us and they want to play in Ingerland. Celtic have been talking about it as recently as this week. They can both ***** off.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Really hope the clubs can stand up to Celtic. Last time we had any competition to OF Dundee Utd got to the European Cup semi and Aberdeen won the Cup Winners Cup. About time change happened as there are more than 2 clubs in Scotland. BBC report as follows

Good to hear those noises coming from the chairmen. Big changes are needed.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar

Agree 100% K. We need our Chairman to lead the way. The article is promising. I love it when the OF squeal
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Indeed. Makes it all the more confusing that folk opposed to the OF leaving and/or increasing the size of the SPL invariably say that such moves would threaten the TV deal. Most Chairmen, our own included, will tell you that it is season ticket money that is vital and not TV money.

Good post Beefster
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent!
    The one thing we all agree on is the ugly sisters get too much cash as it is...we need the other 10 to show some bottle and get this changed...whilst one of them is in a mess this could be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make a serious change to the established order....

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Schmidt View Post
    The one thing we all agree on is the ugly sisters get too much cash as it is...we need the other 10 to show some bottle and get this changed...whilst one of them is in a mess this could be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make a serious change to the established order....
    Some of the 10 are also in a mess. 1 of them is fielding players it can't afford to pay and is living well beyond their means. We need to have a major clean out before we have the clear out. Agreed?

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post

I like that analogy. However if I had a gun to Rangers Football Club's head I know what I'd be doing (and it wouldn't be waiting to find out which way they were going to vote)
    ​#PERSEVERED

That's a great article. Glad to see the Celtic so upset about this, and the fact that they are say it all really. Some of the (unattributed) quotes from the 10 spokesmen capture the situation perfectly. Good to see they have the same concerns as the fans - for once. My two fears are 9-3 may not even be enough as wouldn't put it past the OF to bung another (smaller) club a few quid to vote with them. The other fear is that this is just posturing by the 10 and all they expect and looking for is a bit of slack from the OF - and will negotiate a half way house with watered down powers i.e. no real change.

Blog Entries
    Instead of trying to change the voting rule within the existing structure, the ten minnows should break away completely from the angry sharks and see what they do. They'll have nowhere to swim and will almost certainly ask to return, albeit to a poorer (financially) league which is not dominated by their duopoly and which has been restructured to offer opportunities for all member clubs to succeed. In the unlikely event of their deciding not to join and to go down the road of death by natural causes, hell mend them as they won't be missed. They claim that the other ten can't exist without them. Wrong! They can exist in another form but the ugly sisters can't exist without the other ten, full stop. I just wish they had the b@lls to go down this road.

How come you don't hear the top teams in England moaning about how they bring in all the money etc etc? The Old Firm should either help contribute to Scottish Football improving as a whole, or GTF.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    An example of a share of £7.5m
    1st - 1.3m
    2nd - 1.2m
    3rd - £760k
    4th - 700k
    5th - 640k
    6th - 580k
    7th- 520k
    8th - 480k
    9th - 420k
    10th - 360k
    11th - 300k
    12th - 240k
    Why dont we try something radical like give every team 620k?
    As a bonus for finishing first or second how about a lucrative go in the Champions league?
    For 3rd and 4th how about a wee Europa Cup spot?
    For 5th and 6th how about an extra couple of games against better supported teams towards the end of the season?
    For 7th-12th they can try a bit better the following season, but we'll give them a wee bit more cash to help them do that?
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    Why dont we try something radical like give every team 620k?
    As a bonus for finishing first or second how about a lucrative go in the Champions league?
    For 3rd and 4th how about a wee Europa Cup spot?
    For 5th and 6th how about an extra couple of games against better supported teams towards the end of the season?
    For 7th-12th they can try a bit better the following season, but we'll give them a wee bit more cash to help them do that?
    Good post, agree completely, there are already inbuilt adavantages in finishing higher up the league such as you have outlined.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    That's a great article. Glad to see the Celtic so upset about this, and the fact that they are say it all really. Some of the (unattributed) quotes from the 10 spokesmen capture the situation perfectly. Good to see they have the same concerns as the fans - for once. My two fears are 9-3 may not even be enough as wouldn't put it past the OF to bung another (smaller) club a few quid to vote with them. The other fear is that this is just posturing by the 10 and all they expect and looking for is a bit of slack from the OF - and will negotiate a half way house with watered down powers i.e. no real change.
    Celtic and Rangers have spent at least the last 10 years actively working (plotting) against the SPL and the other 10 clubs by trying to get entry to another country's league. Just last week, Celtic were reported as seeking to join League 1 in England. So the fact that they are "upset" is just tough! What goes around comes around.

It's about time the other clubs took some kind of a stand and changing the distribution of TV income to give the others a bigger share and the Gruesome Twosome less is as good a place as anywhere.

I think the administrator at rangers will end up voting with the ten as they cannot afford to have the threat of them resigning from the league hanging over them while they try to sell what left of the club.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Why 9-3 and not 7-5?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Why 9-3 and not 7-5?
    As a safeguard to stop change being imposed on a fair proportion of the SPL clubs, I suppose. It's used elsewhere too.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    As a safeguard to stop change being imposed on a fair proportion of the SPL clubs, I suppose. It's used elsewhere too.
    Thanks, i had not thought of that. Surely then it should be 8-4, that would be the fairest split?