hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

Mulumbu/McArthur/Boyce/Ref in Wigan game

Just watching match of the day.

Mulumbu had a go at McArthur and then grabbed Boyce by the neck but only got a booking.

Credit to McArthur and Boyce for not falling over and rolling around but imo if they did then Mulumbu would have been sent off.

It's a disgrace imo.

And I don't necessarily have a problem with it being a yellow card but the lack of consistency only encourages the embarrassing behaviour we see from grown adults rolling around pretending they've been shot.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watching match of the day.

Mulumbu had a go at McArthur and then grabbed Boyce by the neck but only got a booking.

Credit to McArthur and Boyce for not falling over and rolling around but imo if they did then Mulumbu would have been sent off.

It's a disgrace imo.

And I don't necessarily have a problem with it being a yellow card but the lack of consistency only encourages the embarrassing behaviour we see from grown adults rolling around pretending they've been shot.
    If that had been Mario Balotelli he would received a ten match suspension for that one.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It really was handbags stuff that a generation ago wouldn't have even merited a yellow card or any analysis. Tackling has already been removed from the game, now any spur of the moment emotion is being eliminated. The modern fan doesn't help with the tendency to scream like a wee lassie at every opportunity, so building the hysteria. Football is being ruined by over-reaction to harmless incidents. "You can't raise your hands". What, under any cirumstances ever? I'm not saying out and out thuggery on the pitch is okay, but let's bring back the passion and the commitment to the cause.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Your problem there is that Wigan have effectively been punished for their players not cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    It really was handbags stuff that a generation ago wouldn't have even merited a yellow card or any analysis. Tackling has already been removed from the game, now any spur of the moment emotion is being eliminated. The modern fan doesn't help with the tendency to scream like a wee lassie at every opportunity, so building the hysteria. Football is being ruined by over-reaction to harmless incidents. "You can't raise your hands". What, under any cirumstances ever? I'm not saying out and out thuggery on the pitch is okay, but let's bring back the passion and the commitment to the cause.
    Agree. A 'shocking challenge' really doesnt happen much anymore, despite the amount of times that term is used to describe a slightly mistimed tackle. Players are having to defend differently and obstruct more and stop even trying to win the ball.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Agree. As regards sanctions, unless the laws have changed since I last checked then aggressive conduct is a booking whilst violent conduct is a red card.
    ​#PERSEVERED

I felt a yellow was right for Mulumbu. Plus, McCarthy went out of his way to push him first.