hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPL will change

SPL will change

Or so it seems - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/mobile/football/17304341

OF GTF

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Any chance of a cut and paste? Can't open link on my phone.

Cheers

Left by mutual consent!
    The 10 non-Old Firm SPL clubs have long been unhappy with the distribution of income as it favours Rangers and Celtic and also dislike an 11-1 majority requirement on major issues that they believe allows those two clubs to dictate change.
    Realised their years of stupidity eventually then as they're all the ones who agreed tae the bloody set up in the 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any chance of a cut and paste? Can't open link on my phone.

Cheers

Fill yer boots.

All clubs in the Scottish Premier League, excluding Rangers and Celtic, will meet next week to discuss radical changes to Scottish football.
    With Rangers in administration and facing going out of business, the clubs will discuss the voting structure.
    They will also consider the distribution of income and the possibility of a 10-club second tier.
    One SPL chairman told BBC Scotland: "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change things."
    The 10 non-Old Firm SPL clubs have long been unhappy with the distribution of income as it favours Rangers and Celtic and also dislike an 11-1 majority requirement on major issues that they believe allows those two clubs to dictate change.
    An SPL2 has also long been mooted and, in 2007, the 30 Scottish Football League clubs voted 22-8 to reject talks about forming a second tier of the SPL.
    The SPL clubs reached agreement in January 2011 for a 10-team top league and a second tier of 12 teams, but that plan failed to materialise following growing opposition from clubs who preferred to expand the present top tier.
    "We will be looking at a number of things," said the SPL club chairman. "Changing the voting structure will be part of that.
    "We are at a crossroads and need to meet for the future of the game.
    "This is the best chance in the last 25 years to stop the Old Firm's domination of the game.
    "The distribution of income, a 12-club SPL and a 10-club top league below that, with more income for the clubs below, will all be discussed.
    "We don't have a lot of time to plan. But, if we get the right plan in place, we can all go the same route."
    It appears that support for changes is gathering pace with Rangers in danger of going into liquidation, which could at least lead to the club leaving the SPL or going out of existence completely.
    Another leading chairman said: "With the Old Firm having talked in the past about leaving Scottish football, we have had to think about a future without them.
    "Part of that situation could be about to come true, so we have had time to think about how we would get on without them."

I like this bit..

Another leading chairman said: "With the Old Firm having talked in the past about leaving Scottish football, we have had to think about a future without them.
    "Part of that situation could be about to come true, so we have had time to think about how we would get on without them."

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Very positive news though as two un-named SPL chairmen talk about the need to break the OF's dominance, which if i am not mistaken would hopefully be held up should it come to a vote re RFC.

I think it was Andy74 that has been saying repeatedly that we would get an SPL2 before the new season and i think he is about to be proved right.

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    Most encouraging thing I've read in ages. If they CAN implement these changes it will be reason for all non-OF fans to celebrate....

Wonder of Vlad will be having a re-think about getting out of Scottish Football

So, who do we think the un-named SPL club chairmen are then? My guess is Petrie and Steven Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Realised their years of stupidity eventually then as they're all the ones who agreed tae the bloody set up in the 1st place.
    Though i'm not too keen on a ten team league the rest of the article seems encouraging

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyMiller View Post
    I like this bit..

I love it.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Westie1875 View Post
    So, who do we think the un-named SPL club chairmen are then? My guess is Petrie and Steven Thompson.
    I reckon and sincerely hope that hibs are leading the way with these discussions. Time for change otherwise it could be another twnety years of nobody outside the OF ever winning anything and to be honest i can't stomach that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post
    Very positive news though as two un-named SPL chairmen talk about the need to break the OF's dominance, which if i am not mistaken would hopefully be held up should it come to a vote re RFC.

I think it was Andy74 that has been saying repeatedly that we would get an SPL2 before the new season and i think he is about to be proved right.
    Amazing how quickly they'd be able tae restructure the whole of Scottish fitba just tae suit that shower of *****e.

As far as I'm concerned anything that is done tae accommodate any new h** team is unacceptable and the creation of an SPL 2 would be just that if they are allowed in it.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 08-03-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Could it truly be the other clubs are about to go through a long awaited puberty and actually grow some balls? I'm almost beginning to believe it could be true!

I would lay bets that Hibs & petrie are leading this.

oh, sweet essence of giraffe, let it be so!

Just for a second lets pretend that rangers are just a big club, without the reasons we all have to hate them attached.

What a pity that it has taken the almost certain demise of one of the two biggest clubs in this country for the owners of the other 10 to finally realise that they have to do what the rest of us have been begging them to do for bloody years... I.E. grow a pair and change the current cartel like voting system !!!

By the way ... Sporting have just scored a brilliant goal

Anyway ... I just hope they dont go for this 10 and 12 option or whatever, even 14 and 14 would be better.

But at least they appear to be going to do so something .................. At last !!!

I for one aint getting any hopes up as of yet, it sounds extremely promising but as it says, in January 2011 nothing happened, and nothing is set in stone as of yet, but one things for sure another 10+ years of watching the OF rule the league sounds like murder

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Looks promising

However, I don't get why this opportunity isn't being used to make even bigger changes.

As Rangers are looking less and less likely to even be in existence next season: why not change things further?

A 14 team SPL
    A top7/bottom 7 split after 26 games, 6 games after that making a 32 games total.
    Winnings would be done in their own wee league tables at the end of the season, with 70% of totals going to the top and 30% to the bottom. Eg, out of £5million in total (just for arguments sake, not sure about totals etc), £3.5 would go to the top, £1.5million to the bottom. Not sure how it would divide up exactly but it would be a lot fairer now than the HUGE discrepancy between the top 2 and the rest. Plus it gives a massive incentive to get in the top half.
    Relegations would work a 2 up/2down system. The SPL 2/1st Division would have an automatic promotion and then a play-off between 3rd and 2nd. Bottom 2 in our league would be automatically relegated.

As it stands, with this idea these are the teams that would be in the league next season.

Celtic
    Hearts
    Hibs
    Aberdeen
    Dundee UTD
    Kilmarnock
    St Johnstone

ICT
    St Mirren
    Dunfermiline
    Motherwell
    Ross County
    Falkirk
    Livingston

Just an idea

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    This angers me greatly What's the need of an SPL2? It's nothing but the 1st division with a new name and infant it will cut yet more money off for the clubs left behind!
    However the thing that really irks me is its just an excuse to parachute a new Rangers into the second tier of Scottish football instead of the 4th
    Just wait and see, anybody who can't see the plan is blind, Scottish football still bending over for the OF! This will be a once only opportunity to shaft them, that won't be taken!

Agree that there is no need to rename Division One.

But I just hope that we're not expecting too much from this meeting. Reallistically it's an opportunity to restore some balance in the SPL and the TV deal has to be an early target. Strip 6% from the prize money for first and second, then redistribute that equally to all twelve clubs.

Sadly it's too much to dream that there is a nuclear option of all ten clubs resigning from the SPL and making a mass application to rejoin the SFL should the Ugly Sisters try to resist the needed changes.

Hopefully a salary cap is on the agenda. It will help clubs adjust to any changes in income and stop Celtic running away with the league every year.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    This angers me greatly What's the need of an SPL2? It's nothing but the 1st division with a new name and infant it will cut yet more money off for the clubs left behind!
    However the thing that really irks me is its just an excuse to parachute a new Rangers into the second tier of Scottish football instead of the 4th
    Just wait and see, anybody who can't see the plan is blind, Scottish football still bending over for the OF! This will be a once only opportunity to shaft them, that won't be taken!
    That's exactly what it will be if that happens IMO. Any move made tae accommodate them IMO is unacceptable and if it happens I'll be finding something else tae do with my time and money other than waste it on Scottish fitba.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Looks promising

However, I don't get why this opportunity isn't being used to make even bigger changes.

As Rangers are looking less and less likely to even be in existence next season: why not change things further?

A 14 team SPL
    A top7/bottom 7 split after 26 games, 6 games after that making a 32 games total.
    Winnings would be done in their own wee league tables at the end of the season, with 70% of totals going to the top and 30% to the bottom. Eg, out of £5million in total (just for arguments sake, not sure about totals etc), £3.5 would go to the top, £1.5million to the bottom. Not sure how it would divide up exactly but it would be a lot fairer now than the HUGE discrepancy between the top 2 and the rest. Plus it gives a massive incentive to get in the top half.
    Relegations would work a 2 up/2down system. The SPL 2/1st Division would have an automatic promotion and then a play-off between 3rd and 2nd. Bottom 2 in our league would be automatically relegated.

As it stands, with this idea these are the teams that would be in the league next season.

Celtic
    Hearts
    Hibs
    Aberdeen
    Dundee UTD
    Kilmarnock
    St Johnstone

ICT
    St Mirren
    Dunfermiline
    Motherwell
    Ross County
    Falkirk
    Livingston

Just an idea
    Are we that bad just now that Hearts are even ahead of us in your imaginery league???

Is an SPL2 likely when by a number of accounts we are progressing towards merging the SFL and SPL together? Plus the SFL clubs have already rejected SPL2 as a concept. Just because Rangers might quite like it as a get out clause for their situation changes little. Doesn't it need a majority of SFL clubs to back the idea? If so while the first division clubs might go for a season of Rangers gate money, wouldn't the second and third division clubs say no to force them down the leagues to get their own shot at an income boost?

As much as some figures within the game would like, or possibly even imagine, they can't just railroad this one through, there will be significant opposition to anything other than dropping them into SFL3, and rightly so.

Of course at this point it assumes Rangers even make it to the end of the season, if they are unable to fulfil fixtures isn't their SPL licence revoked, so there'd be nothing for a newco club to buy?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by Togs91 View Post
    I for one aint getting any hopes up as of yet, it sounds extremely promising but as it says, in January 2011 nothing happened, and nothing is set in stone as of yet, but one things for sure another 10+ years of watching the OF rule the league sounds like murder
    Thats exactly the problem. We all know the likes of Petrie, Romanov and Thomson can see past the OF, but too many of them are short sighted and fear life without the unfair and insignificant cash we get from the TV money.

Id rather these things didnt get out because it gets the hopes of the fans up before anythings been discussed and inevitably leads to disappointment. I hope Im wrong however.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    We all know the likes of Petrie, Romanov and Thomson can see past the OF, but too many of them are short sighted and fear life without the unfair and insignificant cash we get from the TV money.
    Im not at all positive that Petrie would pick what the fans want over the £ signs to be honest.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    Wonder if Vlad will be there?

Mafia assassin?
    I actually hope he is, no one hates the OF quite like Vlad and will be all up for trying to kill off the Huns.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Im not at all positive that Petrie would pick what the fans want over the £ signs to be honest.
    No? I was always under the impression that he was fairly unhappy with the way things were going with the Scottish game. Sure he is one of the chairmen who is against Rangers coming back in straight away if they go bust.

Would rather see a 16 team SPL with a top/bottom 8 split with 37 games a season

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    No? I was always under the impression that he was fairly unhappy with the way things were going with the Scottish game. Sure he is one of the chairmen who is against Rangers coming back in straight away if they go bust.
    I hope he is, and he probably does want change. But will he vote for it if it has a clear and drastic effect on the balance sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Looks promising

A 14 team SPL

Celtic
    Hearts
    Hibs
    Aberdeen
    Dundee UTD
    Kilmarnock
    St Johnstone

ICT
    St Mirren
    Dunfermiline
    Motherwell
    Ross County
    Falkirk
    Livingston

Just an idea

I agree with this idea, but I would split 8/6. The top 8 would then play home & away giving 40 games in total.

The bottom 6 also play home/away giving them 36 games. Bottom 2 automatically relegated and 3rd bottom in play off with 3rd place in lower division. Or bottom team relegated and 2nd bottom in play off, something along those lines.