hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar

Stoke's admirable away ticket deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17223782

Brilliant to see a club putting their clubs fans first before some extra money in the pocket. Hopefully see more of this in the future but im not holding my breath.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Brilliant to see a club putting their clubs fans first before some extra money in the pocket. Hopefully see more of this in the future but im not holding my breath.
    I'm not sure the decision is as altruistic as you'd like it to be.

1. When the club receives £60m just for being in the EPL, waiving less than £90k isn't all that painful.

2. Stoke want a decent backing to give them a chance to get a result in the quarter final, so they've subsidised the tickets.

3. I wonder if they'll reduce the price of their own Category A tickets which cost between £34 and £45.

By the way, I remember Hibs laying on free buses when they wanted a hefty away support on more than one occasion. Also, tickets for cup games at ER have been as low as £10.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm not sure the decision is as altruistic as you'd like it to be.

1. When the club receives £60m just for being in the EPL, waiving less than £90k isn't all that painful.
    I think it's a bit harsh to dismiss a decent gesture towards their fans, that they didn't need to make, because they have a high turnover. The size of the gesture is immaterial IMHO. It's the fact that they even made the gesture that matters.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Brilliant gesture by Stoke, I knew it wouldn't take long for someone on here though to post a negative slant on what they've done.

Besides it will make seeing their team get pumped in the cup by Liverpool a bit more bearable knowing they've only paid £20 to see it.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 02-03-2012 at 07:56 AM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Brilliant gesture by Stoke, I knew it wouldn't take long for someone on here though to post a negative slant on what they're done.

Besides it will make seeing their team get pumped in the cup by Liverpool a bit more bearable knowing they've only paid £20 to see it.
    Radges slant isn't negative in the slightest. He is just pointing out its not as positive as it first might seem.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Radges slant isn't negative in the slightest. He is just pointing out its not as positive as it first might seem.
    Oh I see, my mistake.....................Radge please accept my sincere apologies

Oh I see, my mistake.....................Radge please accept my sincere apologies
    I hope they pump you, ya bam.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I hope they pump you, ya bam.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I think it's a bit harsh to dismiss a decent gesture towards their fans, that they didn't need to make, because they have a high turnover. The size of the gesture is immaterial IMHO. It's the fact that they even made the gesture that matters.
    I didn't dismiss it.

I put it into perspective.

I also think Stoke are being a bit hypocritical criticising Liverpool for charging the same as they do!!

It's not even a "gesture" by Stoke. A "gesture" suggests it's altruistic and is done out of an appreciation for their fans.

Even Stoke aren't trying to claim that. They have pointed out that the presence of TV cameras means that they won't shift their 6000 allocation. If the cameras weren't there, full price would be undoubtedly be charged.

Incredible that an EPL side can't sell its 6000 allocation for an FA cup quarter final at Liverpool, only 1 hour away, by the way. Those fans need all the "appreciation" they can get!

I don't know how many tickets they would have sold, but assuming it was only sell 2/3rds of their allocation, their "gesture" has only cost them £60k. If it was only half, their actual loss is only £45k.

A "brilliant gesture" would be if they reduced their home admission fees to £20 from £45 - £34 out of appreciation of the support they've received all season.

They might do that, but to coin the OP's phrase, I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 02-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Thank you!

Coaching Staff

I never really get this sort of argument. Where do you think the money that gets taken in goes?

When you mean putting fans first do you mean at the expense of paying players, suppliers or just by having less decent players for us to watch?

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    last time i post something positive on .net anyways, apologies . As far as im aware a club making attending football cheaper for their supporters is a very positive thing, of course I should have known positivity must not be tolerated on the main board

I didn't dismiss it.
    I thought you were fairly dismissive of it. Sorry.

last time i post something positive on .net anyways, apologies . As far as im aware a club making attending football cheaper for their supporters is a very positive thing, of course I should have known positivity must not be tolerated on the main board
    That'll learn ye!

FWIW, I still think it's a decent 'gesture', however much money they get in TV deals.

I think it's a great gesture by Stoke, more clubs should follow suit.

Coaching Staff
    It's pretty easy just to say Hibs should do this or that to make things cheaper. The reality is the players will still want paid so how would you propose to work it all through?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It's pretty easy just to say Hibs should do this or that to make things cheaper. The reality is the players will still want paid so how would you propose to work it all through?
    The OP didn't say anything about Hibs - that's probably why it's flagged as 'NHC'. Only one poster has even mentioned Hibs in this thread.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm amazed at the amount of folk that think we (the football fan) are getting value for money and are so set against reducing prices.