hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What should happen to a hypothetical "Phoenix" Rangers?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should be given the SPL place of the current Rangers entity.

5 1.45%
  • They shouldn't be admitted to the SPL and should have to apply to the SFL.

341 98.55%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Attitude of Hibs fans to a "Phoenix" Rangers

With Rangers looking ever more likely to go from administration to liquidation and the media campaign to get a potential resurrected new company straight back into the SPL already in full swing, I thought it might be useful to have a gauge of Hibs fans' collective opinion on what should happen to them.

Does the SPL need Rangers? Let's assume a hypothetical scenario where they have been liquidated and a newco has sprung up with agreement to use Ibrox and a squad in place. We have the choice of allowing them into the SPL or cancelling relegation from the current SPL, promoting teams normally and NewHuns would have to apply to the SFL to get back in at Div 3. Let's assume Hibs would lose £1M from the absence of 2 Hun visits and a drastic renegotiation of the TV deal, ie. we'd have to cut our wage bill by approx. 15%, and we can assume the rest of the SPL would be similar.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I voted no, let them apply to the SFL. If they are allowed to gain entry back into the SPL, we will then have given the green light for any club to flout the rules, pay over the odds wages and cheat their way to better results than they should be getting.

It would also be a kick in the knackers for all those clubs who do adhere to the rules. Letting them straight back in would kill it for me, and i'd asume others?

What would be the point of Scottish football if the richest clubs cant win fairly, and are basically allowed to cheat without punishment?

The game would be over if that were to happen imo.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted no, let them apply to the SFL. If they are allowed to gain entry back into the SPL, we will then have given the green light for any club to flout the rules, pay over the odds wages and cheat their way to better results than they should be getting.

It would also be a kick in the knackers for all those clubs who do adhere to the rules. Letting them straight back in would kill it for me, and i'd asume others?

What would be the point of Scottish football if the richest clubs cant win fairly, and are basically allowed to cheat without punishment?

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    For me if they go into liquidtion then they have to suffer the same fate as any other club would have to.
    So for me that is reapplying to join the SFL.
    The 11-1 majority vote would then be abolished and every club would have the same rights as the other.
    An even distribution of any TV and sponsorship money the SPL generates.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    There is no way they can be allowed to immediately rejoin the SPL under a new guise. Imagine it - we get to the end of the season and the club who ultimately finish bottom get relegated, having fought long and hard within a manageable financial budget, only to be expelled from the SPL back to the SFL1, whilst a club who are feeling the effects of seasons and seasons of, quite bluntly, cheating, are spared from expulsion, based on nothing other than sympathy towards a "great Scottish institution".

If Rangers finished bottom of the SPL, this "great institution" would face relegation like any other club, so they are bound by the same solvency laws of any other SPL club and for that reason, I'd want to see them forced to reapply.

Having said the above though, if Rangers DID ever finish bottom of the SPL, no doubt this is when a restructuring would take place and they'd be saved regardless. Perhaps I'm not particularly confident that what I would like to see happen and what will happen are the same thing.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Absolutely. Rules are rules.

Letting them straight back in would kill it for me, and i'd asume others?
    That sums it up for me BH.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar

In. A. Nutshell.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

The same rules should apply to everybody but I have a sneaking suspicion that a way will be found to ensure they keep their place in the SPL.

@hibs.net private member

I think many fans feel this BH. I have been thinking about this and my stance would never again set foot inside Ibrox and never attend any match they are involded in under any circumstances. They must be punished for their financial mismanagement ~ CHEATING !! They have to be demoted and I dont necessarily think that should save Hibs or Pars from relegation either. I would let 2 come up from the 1st Div.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    With Rangers looking ever more likely to go from administration to liquidation and the media campaign to get a potential resurrected new company straight back into the SPL already in full swing, I thought it might be useful to have a gauge of Hibs fans' collective opinion on what should happen to them.

Does the SPL need Rangers? Let's assume a hypothetical scenario where they have been liquidated and a newco has sprung up with agreement to use Ibrox and a squad in place. We have the choice of allowing them into the SPL or cancelling relegation from the current SPL, promoting teams normally and NewHuns would have to apply to the SFL to get back in at Div 3. Let's assume Hibs would lose £1M from the absence of 2 Hun visits and a drastic renegotiation of the TV deal, ie. we'd have to cut our wage bill by approx. 15%, and we can assume the rest of the SPL would be similar.
    I Voted no they have cheated and should be punished.

@hibs.net private member
    If a Pheonix Rangers were allowed straight back into the SPL they might as well just wind up the whole shooting match straight away as the sporting integrity of the competition would have been proven beyond all doubt to be non-existant.

All the Rangers apologists in the media and politics go on about sponsorship and TV issues as if that was all that mattered when nothing could be further from the truth - sponsors and TV companies have come and gone over the years and there is still a Scottish League. In reality they are just showing themselves up to be as dirty and corrupt as Rangers themselves - they should all hang their heads in shame and follow Rangers out of the door.

A message must be sent, clubs must be encouraged to follow our example and make the necessary (and painful) cuts to come back from the brink.

If 'New Rangers' get straight back into the SPL, then you have a legal precedent for any future SPL club that gets itself into difficulty to simply follow their lead.

As others have said, you may as well just jack the whole thing in in that situation, you will simultaneously alienate the fans of every league club across the country, and not just the SPL ones either. Most other clubs have been through tough financial times for one reason or another, letting Rangers return scot free would be a slap in the face to us all. They must start again in Division 3 or the game in this country will die a death.

I voted no as well as everyone before me

It would be a travesty of justice.

But what if the SPL was to be made 2 leagues of 16; as has already been suggested elsewhere? What then?
    Space to let

97 votes and all saying no it would make me think twice about another season ticket if cheats are allowed to stay in our league if they go out the box

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I voted no as well as everyone before me

It would be a travesty of justice.

But what if the SPL was to be made 2 leagues of 16; as has already been suggested elsewhere? What then?
    Then they still go in at the bottom of what's left of the SFL and the two leagues are made of 32 other teams.

@hibs.net private member
    They should get the same treatment as any other team. They should apply to be admitted to the SFL...although if Spartans were applying to join as well I'd be inclined to vote for them to join instead

I'd also like to add that, unless they found some other way of repaying all their debt (not just a percentage thereof) that both ipox and murray park must be sold to ensure all the dues are paid.
    The training facility and stadium are assets and must be treated as such.
    They must not be allowed to only partially clear what they owe, then re-emerge (in whatever division) with the existing stadium and training park in place.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If they were to be let back in, then they should have to pay an entry fee. 5 million pounds each to the teams in the SPL just now. A million each to the SFL one teams, 500K to the Second and 250K to the Third. That would compensate all of them for missing out on possible moves up. I would however, not include Motherwell, Livingston, Dundee nor Airdrie [United], for obvious reasons.

They are cheats. Dirty cheats, and they smell (fact). Given the debt to Arabs, Pars and Yams - I'd expect the 11 remaining clubs to close ranks and force them into the SFL. This also however assumes that collectively the SPL Chairmen have a spine and that must remain a doubt.

It has to be said though, the idea of the sticky buns being refered to as a 'rising phoenix' makes me
    Wonder if the RPRFB would get an invite to der huns new gaff to play a few numbers???

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    It has to be said though, the idea of the sticky buns being refered to as a 'rising phoenix' makes me
    Wonder if the RPRFB would get an invite to der huns new gaff to play a few numbers???

You shouldn't be allowed to vote in this poll, as you just want that chick to come back begging on her knees. That's the difference between you and me; I like her strong, proud, confident and 'Aye Ready' so I'm voting yes.

She could do with being a bit more 'loyal' though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    I can only echo everyone else. To allow Rangers to windup, start again and go straight back in at the top not only shows tolerance of financial foul play in order to dominate the domestic scene but is a actually clear approval of such methods. It's hard enough following a non OF team knowing that realistically you won't win anything in any given season as it is, without throwing in the fact Rangers are allowed to openly cheat their way to the top.

The governing bodies of the sport have a big decision to make and they have to be brave.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    If Rangers are liquidated I see the SPL 1 and SPL 2 being pushed through with the Huns starting in SPL 2. A season on the noughty step for them is the most we can expect.

Of course they will miss out on Euro football for 3 years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    If Rangers are liquidated I see the SPL 1 and SPL 2 being pushed through with the Huns starting in SPL 2. A season on the noughty step for them is the most we can expect.

Of course they will miss out on Euro football for 3 years
    The SFL would likely not be chuffed with losing a whole division of teams at shuch short notice. And we'd have to agree how promotion \ relegation would work from SPL2 to the new SFL1. The SFL would have no real reason to get everything sorted out in a flash so suspect a new league setup wouldn't be finalised for next season even if they started right now.

It's not just the insolvency problem that rangers face. Recent revelations about players having second contracts and having contracts with parent companies are in clear breach of SFA and Uefa rules.
    Considering Spartans were kicked out the Scottish cup for one ineligible player it's hard to see how they could forgive Rangers fielding whole teams of ineligible players over the last fifteen years.
    How this is dealt with by the SFA is crucial to the integrity of the Scottish game.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post
    The SFL would likely not be chuffed with losing a whole division of teams at shuch short notice. And we'd have to agree how promotion \ relegation would work from SPL2 to the new SFL1. The SFL would have no real reason to get everything sorted out in a flash so suspect a new league setup wouldn't be finalised for next season even if they started right now.

A small cut in the T V revenues for the rump of the SFL that left will smooth that one through.

It would do wonders for the finances of the SFL clubs-so things should stay as they are with new Rangers going to SFL 3.

However Rangers won't go into liquidation.