hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

A more Irish Hibernian?

Just thought I'd pose the question to the support in 2012. In relation to the club's heritage and how its future may develop, do you think the club today projects itself in a way that strikes the appropriate balance between its Irish roots and its place in twenty-first century Scottish society? Could our heritage be utilised more and to the club's advantage? Or do you think we actually make too much of the whole thing?

As a new member of the forum, it wouldn't be surprising if this topic has been discussed numerous times before and that some of you old hands are saying "not this again" or something similar. I apologise in advance if this is the case, but as a newbie I'm not to know, and would like to hear your thoughts.

I sometimes feel we play down the club's Irish heritage and influence, perhaps for fear of being dragged into the whole sectarian mire that surrounds the Old Firm. Such a concern is of course understandable, though I can't help think we're missing out a wee bit. Celtic, of course, play up to their Irish history to the hilt and reap the rewards of a huge Irish support. From the outset I would say that I definitely do not advocate Hibernian being a Celtic in miniature. I'm not talking about the support adopting a particular political or religious stance in the way it sometimes manifests itself at Parkhead. Hibernian is a fully inclusive and open club, welcoming all who wish to join, and this must always be paramount. The personal beliefs of the individual are of no consequence. Nor am I talking about turning ER into a tacky Irish theme park. I just sometimes think we hide our light under a bushel and don't make enough of the special 'selling point' we have; and apologies for phrasing that in the marketing sense. Our uniqueness is there in the name - Hibernian - and I think we could a bit more to explain what makes it special and the values it represents. 'More than a club' is how Barcelona put it regarding their Catalan heritage, and surely a club called Hibernian has a sense of identity that also goes beyond just eleven guys kicking a ball around. Or does it? Perhaps it doesn't. If it does, how should that be represented?

I'd like to hear what our Irish supporters think. Is there a potential pool of support in the country that we're missing out on? Would a greater role for the Irish dimension of the club's heritage be tokenistic?

Inclusive, progressive, broadminded. A celebration of cultural diversity. These are traits that I'm proud to say represent the Hibernian support in general and must always be upheld. Anything that underlines this should always be welcome.

Just a few thoughts. More questions than answers, granted.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    We have a harp in our badge.

We also have a castle, a football, and a ship.

That's a fair representation of our roots and our place for me.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

This, plus the rather large clue in our name, is plenty for me. Not hiding our heritage, not banging on about it either.

Left by mutual consent!

We use an amendment of the Roman word for Ireland as our team name. We have green and white strips and as noted above, we have a harp in our badge and were formed by Irish Catholics in the Cowgate and never shirk or disguise this fact (note: We were formed in Edinburgh as when I last checked, St Pats and the Cowgate were in the city boundaries, even of old, just ) and then moved to Leith....and then to Easter Road (also in Edinburgh).

That said, we are a Scottish club as we are based in Edinburgh which is the capital city of Scotland. We compete in league run by the Scottish Football Association and we compete internationally (rarely) as a Scottish team.

I see no need to try and be plasticated and kid on to be what we are not. For that, you have one Glasgow Celtc. They play up to oirishness, kid on they're Irish/wish they were Irish yet are also similar to ourselves in regard to their Scottishness, much to their pity and to our annoyance.

We know who we are. Why know where we come from and we know where we are going. We dont sign players based on anything other than fitba ability and (recently) cost but, we're certainly no sectarian.

Im happy with Hibs as they are. Everyone's money is welcome at Easter Road and there's nae hassle with ANYONE supporting the cause.

Everything else, is pish.

ENDOF

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    We use an amendment of the Roman word for Ireland as our team name. We have green and white strips and as noted above, we have a harp in our badge and were formed by Irish Catholics in the Cowgate and never shirk or disguise this fact (note: We were formed in Edinburgh as when I last checked, St Pats and the Cowgate were in the city boundaries, even of old, just ) and then moved to Leith....and then to Easter Road (also in Edinburgh).

That said, we are a Scottish club as we are based in Edinburgh which is the capital city of Scotland. We compete in league run by the Scottish Football Association and we compete internationally (rarely) as a Scottish team.

I see no need to try and be plasticated and kid on to be what we are not. For that, you have one Glasgow Celtc. They play up to oirishness, kid on they're Irish/wish they were Irish yet are also similar to ourselves in regard to their Scottishness, much to their pity and to our annoyance.

We know who we are. Why know where we come from and we know where we are going. We dont sign players based on anything other than fitba ability and (recently) cost but, we're certainly no sectarian.

Im happy with Hibs as they are. Everyone's money is welcome at Easter Road and there's nae hassle with ANYONE supporting the cause.

Everything else, is pish.

ENDOF
    Well said that man.

Proud of our history, proud of our present.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Looks like the sort of OP a Yam section N type would post to try and justify their bigotry by fishing for Hibs fans as bigoted as them.

well put & balanced question by the op, but for me the main thing about hibs is that we exist in the 21st century not the 17th & we are inclusive, a hibee is a hibee because they support hibs, not because they have gone to the the "right" school or are a member of the "right" religious organisation /cult. I would like to think that Richard Dawkins would be a hibs fan. It's about the football not the personal belief in an ethereal mystical uber being.

Hibernia & Alba

If you want an Irish club go to Ireland.

No Irish heritage or connection in our family, all protestants, no catholics, but we are on fourth generation Hibernian fans and have a direct family member who was in the famous five.

We're in it for the FOOTBALL.

Sorry to be so blunt. It's just the way I feel.

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Just thought I'd pose the question to the support in 2012. In relation to the club's heritage and how its future may develop, do you think the club today projects itself in a way that strikes the appropriate balance between its Irish roots and its place in twenty-first century Scottish society? Could our heritage be utilised more and to the club's advantage? Or do you think we actually make too much of the whole thing?

As a new member of the forum, it wouldn't be surprising if this topic has been discussed numerous times before and that some of you old hands are saying "not this again" or something similar. I apologise in advance if this is the case, but as a newbie I'm not to know, and would like to hear your thoughts.

I sometimes feel we play down the club's Irish heritage and influence, perhaps for fear of being dragged into the whole sectarian mire that surrounds the Old Firm. Such a concern is of course understandable, though I can't help think we're missing out a wee bit. Celtic, of course, play up to their Irish history to the hilt and reap the rewards of a huge Irish support. From the outset I would say that I definitely do not advocate Hibernian being a Celtic in miniature. I'm not talking about the support adopting a particular political or religious stance in the way it sometimes manifests itself at Parkhead. Hibernian is a fully inclusive and open club, welcoming all who wish to join, and this must always be paramount. The personal beliefs of the individual are of no consequence. Nor am I talking about turning ER into a tacky Irish theme park. I just sometimes think we hide our light under a bushel and don't make enough of the special 'selling point' we have; and apologies for phrasing that in the marketing sense. Our uniqueness is there in the name - Hibernian - and I think we could a bit more to explain what makes it special and the values it represents. 'More than a club' is how Barcelona put it regarding their Catalan heritage, and surely a club called Hibernian has a sense of identity that also goes beyond just eleven guys kicking a ball around. Or does it? Perhaps it doesn't. If it does, how should that be represented?

I'd like to hear what our Irish supporters think. Is there a potential pool of support in the country that we're missing out on? Would a greater role for the Irish dimension of the club's heritage be tokenistic?

Inclusive, progressive, broadminded. A celebration of cultural diversity. These are traits that I'm proud to say represent the Hibernian support in general and must always be upheld. Anything that underlines this should always be welcome.

my perseption that celtic are well supported is due to them being a good team. and winning medals. And obviously half there fans are plastic. if we were winning most of our games our stadium would be packed too.

we have irish roots too but that doesnt make a difference if we bigged it up or not. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Hibernia & Alba

No Irish heritage or connection in our family, all protestants, no catholics, but we are on fourth generation Hibernian fans and have a direct family member who was in the famous five.

Sorry to be so blunt. It's just the way I feel.
    Quite right too!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Looks like the sort of OP a Yam section N type would post to try and justify their bigotry by fishing for Hibs fans as bigoted as them.

With a decade on this forum, I'm sure you know the signs of enemy agent, though in case you're incorrect, sire. I wouldn't waste my time.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    The way I see it our Irish/Catholic roots are interesting and it's reflected in our name & crest but is history and has little relevance to the modern football cllub
    Other clubs have interesting and unique origins, Hearts were formed from the members of a dance hall and Kilmarnock like many clubs were formed by members of a cricket club looking to take up a sport for the winter months. I'm sure you not have to like ballroom dancing to be a Jambo or a be a keen cricketer to support Killie
    I think if the club started to promote the Irish heritage any more it could ailianate some of the Hibs support who the majority I would suspect have no Irish catholic connections. The current status quo Is fine by me and seems to work.
    Glory glory

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    The way I see it our Irish/Catholic roots are interesting and it's reflected in our name & crest but is history and has little relevance to the modern football cllub
    Other clubs have interesting and unique origins, Hearts were formed from the members of a dance hall and Kilmarnock like many clubs were formed by members of a cricket club looking to take up a sport for the winter months. I'm sure you not have to like ballroom dancing to be a Jambo or a be a keen cricketer to support Killie
    I think if the club started to promote the Irish heritage any more it could ailianate some of the Hibs support who the majority I would suspect have no Irish catholic connections. The current status quo Is fine by me and seems to work.
    Glory glory
    Calum Elliot was awfy keen to celebrate their roots

Why not just leave this nonsense to our West of Scotland neighbours. Guys like you should be horsewhipped. Away and find a cure for cancer or an answer to child poverty.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodje_18 View Post
    Calum Elliot was awfy keen to celebrate their roots
    exception to the rule

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    Why not just leave this nonsense to our West of Scotland neighbours. Guys like you should be horsewhipped. Away and find a cure for cancer or an answer to child poverty.

With due respect, I don't think you've understood the original post correctly. 'Leave this nonsense to our west of Scotland neighbours'. Do you mean using football clubs for religious prejudice and political extremism? I agree one hundred per cent.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    With a decade on this forum, I'm sure you know the signs of enemy agent, though in case you're incorrect, sire. I wouldn't waste my time.
    Ok then thats proven it you are not a Hearts fan on the windup.

Bit over the top, no?

I'm not sure you read the OP, or have decided to ignore most of it, but he specifically mentioned he didn't want the 'nonsense' of the West of Scotland. His was one of the most balanced posts I've read on here. Yours, on the other hand..........

If we were any more Irish we'd have to get a Tayto logo in the badge

@hibs.net private member hibbymac's Avatar
    Shaun, SHAUN, ..... is that you Shaun.
    " Whatever the future may hold, Fans of this unique club will stand firm in Hibernians corner. Yes, united they stand, those wonderful supporters and The greatest football club on earth, " - Hibernian F.C. The team that wouldn't die. Click here

First Team Breakthrough N.Wales Hibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Famous Fiver;3125988]Hibernia & Alba

Sorry to be so blunt. It's just the way I feel.[/QUOTE

It does not matter what religion you are to be a Hibby. Nobody cares. That in itself is part of our Heritage.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    not really necessary

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    not really necessary
    Yes it is. We are all descended from monkeys but our strip is not a gorilla or a chimp outfit. We are a football team nowt more nowt less. I find like this boring and a waste of space. This whole Irish non Irish, wee celtic claptrap should be consigned to history. It is and always will be while dafties keep the debate going. From a football sense we cannot sell hibs to the locals never mind outside our shores so for me whole thing is mince.
    Last edited by MSK; 23-02-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Swear filter is there for a reason

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    I support a football team, and have done so for about 45 years. I have no interest in religion at all, and I couldn't care less to be honest. I have very good friends of all religious persuasions.

Don't understand the fascination myself, but each to his own.

Sorry, but this looks like a wind up to me. Fat bloke has a point.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    I support a football team, and have done so for about 45 years. I have no interest in religion at all, and I couldn't care less to be honest. I have very good friends of all religious persuasions.

Have you no work to do B.

I'm just bored of all this irish crap that gets thrown about. Irish people are not interested in Rankgers Sellick or Hibs, many find the whole fascination with Ireland etc embarrassing.

I was told in the Hibs Club on Saturday that because I prefer Rangers to Celtic I wasn't a real Hibby etc etc. What a crock o . I am a football fan first and last and would not care if Hibs lined up with 11 sash wearing flute playing drum bashing er5es if they scored more goals than the opposition. Posts that mention anything to do with heritage or Ireland or Shamrocks etc etc should be banned.

Anyway how are you doing??
    Last edited by MSK; 23-02-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Swear filter

Nor I, and I did disassociate the premise of religion from support for the club. What I didn't say in the OP is that I'm a convinced atheist myself, and that's because it isn't anybody else's business. But as you wish to keep introducing religion for some reason.....

First Team Breakthrough

How exactly does a tricolour or an Erin go brah flag represent religion? I believe a couple of flags is all the OP was hoping for, and I'd happily see that at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Glory glory