hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar

The gap will never close..

The gap between Celtic and Rangers despite their current problem will never close IMO. Today I watched my team be utterly torn to peices by a team who had players on their bench that are probably earning more than our starting elevens total combined wage. For me now the Spl has become a bit like a ferrari and a porsche racing against a mondeo, clio, corsa, punto and yet all these cars turn up every season and trudge along behind the shiney big 2. Well for me its over, fitba is dead, Hibs will live on in my heart but the scottish game under the current set up and the rules and regulations that govern it will play no more part in my life.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Bye then

can never say never

Scottish football is having to change due to the lark off investment in the game . Clubs are having to turn to youth instead off buying players and transfers could soon be a thing off the past in years to come with players getting shorter contracts , and moving on though freedom off contract. Look at the last few transfer windows in scotland and very few players was brought in at a cost to the clubs, loan deals and out off contract players are the ones moving from club to club,
    look at all the clubs debts keeping your team from going burst is going to as good as winning a cup as more clubs look like joining rangers over the next few years .
    so the question can hibs or anyone every the win league beside the old frim. i think yes as clubs will have to build from the youth up and i think there is other alex ferguson and jim mclean out there some where who will have a great bunch off youth players and hold on to them for a sesson to win the league i hope its a hibs manager

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iain nolan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scottish football is having to change due to the lark off investment in the game . Clubs are having to turn to youth instead off buying players and transfers could soon be a thing off the past in years to come with players getting shorter contracts , and moving on though freedom off contract. Look at the last few transfer windows in scotland and very few players was brought in at a cost to the clubs, loan deals and out off contract players are the ones moving from club to club,
    look at all the clubs debts keeping your team from going burst is going to as good as winning a cup as more clubs look like joining rangers over the next few years .
    so the question can hibs or anyone every the win league beside the old frim. i think yes as clubs will have to build from the youth up and i think there is other alex ferguson and jim mclean out there some where who will have a great bunch off youth players and hold on to them for a sesson to win the league i hope its a hibs manager
    Football doesn't work like that now with Bosman. If Hibs produced another group of good young players they would probably be sold to English clubs (most likely Championship) within 2-3 years. Whereas last time they were mainly sold to Rantic. An even more worrying development is the likes of Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie moving / talking of moving south before they have really done anything of note in Scotland.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Quote Originally Posted by one day maybe... View Post
    The gap between Celtic and Rangers despite their current problem will never close IMO. Today I watched my team be utterly torn to peices by a team who had players on their bench that are probably earning more than our starting elevens total combined wage. For me now the Spl has become a bit like a ferrari and a porsche racing against a mondeo, clio, corsa, punto and yet all these cars turn up every season and trudge along behind the shiney big 2. Well for me its over, fitba is dead, Hibs will live on in my heart but the scottish game under the current set up and the rules and regulations that govern it will play no more part in my life.
    I agree Im just not seeing the point anymore I'm no jacking it just yet but depending on the outcome at the ibrox circus I may not be too far away

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Bye then
    He's right though, on a realistic scale only the OF are going to win the league for the forseeable future. Unless something drastic is done we are spending Time and Money watching our beloved club with no or little hope of glory.

understand what your saying but english championship teams are spending to much on buying players and wages and not on the youth developent its only a matter off time one off them end up like rangers m8 something got to give at some off the championship clubs
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Football doesn't work like that now with Bosman. If Hibs produced another group of good young players they would probably be sold to English clubs (most likely Championship) within 2-3 years. Whereas last time they were mainly sold to Rantic. An even more worrying development is the likes of Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie moving / talking of moving south before they have really done anything of note in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iain nolan View Post
    understand what your saying but english championship teams are spending to much on buying players and wages and not on the youth developent its only a matter off time one off them end up like rangers m8 something got to give at some off the championship clubs
    30% of Championships are spending 100% of turnover on wages. Something's going to happen and soon. Bristol city as an example lost £10 million last year, yes £10 million

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is it not possible that a lot of clubs in England are living beyond their means as well, and that the bubble may burst soon. The aftermath of that is hard to predict.

Also, what would happen if all leagues were to impose a wage cap?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    He's right though, on a realistic scale only the OF are going to win the league for the forseeable future. Unless something drastic is done we are spending Time and Money watching our beloved club with no or little hope of glory.
    He is right. However, I looked at the Celtic bench today too and you have to ask yourself why on earth they need a squad like they have, keeping in mind the rest of the players left in the stand.
    Celtic have a major problem looming and while they might be gloating about Rangers misfortune at the moment , what will happen when the boredom of no competition sinks in and novelty wears off ? The title race next season will probably over by Christmas and no doubt their huge squad of highly priced players which will obviously be far too strong for the rest of the competition up here will not be good enough for Europe as usual and they will exit the Champions League before the summer is out.
    Supporters will become bored and crowds will drop and income will decrease making it difficult to justify the huge outlay on wages.
    They will then start making noises about getting out of Scotland because they are being held back by the mediocrity , yet that is just not going to happen, unless they apply to join the Conference League.
    In other words they are trapped in a possible nightmare situation up here that, given Rangers problems ,might last for a long time.
    And they said they don`t need Rangers. You bet they do.

My Celtic supporting mate just said to me, Celtic had 6 free transfers and a loan player in there starting line up, why can Hibs not attract player like that. I said to him we'd love to have them but you pay 5 or 10 times the cash for a players weekly wage than we can afford. I told him they got Stokes, again IMO, the best striker in the SPL for less than a million then sold that huddy Kamara for £4 milion to Fulham off the back off it. How can Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell any of the rest of the teams compete. Yes we collectively among us, occasionally produce good young players, but as soon as any team does so, they (the OF) are all over them trying to sign them for peanuts. As I said in my original post fitba is dead in Scotland, how do we revive? can it be revived? god knows. There can be no easy solution, but the domination of the Glasgow 2 has ripped the hearts out of the supporters of other teams. Without competetion and sustained competetion at that, then we will continue to see dwindling crowds and absolute lack of interest in the Scottish game.
    Last edited by one day maybe...; 19-02-2012 at 06:22 PM.

My Celtic supporting mate just said to me, Celtic had 6 free transfers and a loan player in there starting line up, why can Hibs not attract player like that. I said to him we'd love to have them but you pay 5 or 10 times the cash for a players weekly wage than we can afford. I told him they got Stokes, again IMO, the best striker in the SPL for less than a million then sold that huddy Kamara for £4 milion to Fulham off the back off it. How can Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell any of the rest of the teams compete. Yes we collectively among us, occasionally produce good young players, but as soon as any team does so, they (the OF) are all over them trying to sign them for peanuts. As I said in my original post fitba is dead in Scotland, how do we revive? can it be revived? god knows. There can be no easy solution, but the domination of the Glasgow 2 has ripped the hearts out of the supporters of other teams. Without competetion and sustained competetion at that, then we will continue to see dwindling crowds and absolute lack of interest in the Scottish game.

Kamara was never a celtic player was only on loan to them

Quote Originally Posted by leither#1 View Post
    Ok fair enough, but he only scored around 8 goals for them that season and who ever got £4 million for him must have been laughing all the way to the bank.
    Just checked Celtic paid Wolves £1.5 million to take him on loan..
    Last edited by one day maybe...; 19-02-2012 at 06:35 PM.

The gap can't close because they bring on players like Izziguire who is maybe on 15 k a week, Commons 10k a week and they are starting guys on 20k+ every week.

I'd love Neil Doncaster to ask the Hibs fans leaving the ground after 55 mins if we really need the Old Firm. They have both created a monopolistic market where they try and crush any company that challenges them ( in football terms through signing other teams best players). They can GTF as far as i am concerned.

Coaching Staff
    My thoughts from today as well. Celtic have gone to Tynecastle and Easter Road and scored 9 without reply. What's the point of this league now?

We've improved a fair bit. We have some decent players in and there is still no contest whatsoever.

Hard to think past that today.

First Team Breakthrough MCameron's Avatar
    10 out of 10. I firmly believe the current 10 Spl non-of clubs need to make a stand for a more even playing field. Either the OF tow the line to a revised league set up (with a maximum wage and cap on the number of non-uk players allowed in a starting 11.)

If that's not signed up to they should resign their position and set up a new league inviting teams from sfl to join. I honestly believe with the chance of a closer run contest we would see crowds increase.

The SPL and football in general is a joke nowadays. It's not a sport anymore. It's a money making exercise. Sporting behavior and standards are dead. The moment I finally realized what a joke football is was the Scotland v Czech game at Hampden. The result hinged on two incidents in the last few minutes. Both were dive's. The Czech's got their penalty even though Wilson never touched the boy and then Berra's pathetic attempt at a dive 1 min later was waved away. After 89 mins of football all it really came down to was who was the best at cheating. A real low point. Add this to the constant year after year OF dominance in Scotland with help from the SFA then it become's rather depressing to follow football. If you are a non-OF supporter in Scotland then you are only so through blind loyalty.....most of us can relate to that and it's not a bad thing.

I have invested time, money and emotions following Hibs but this season I am beginning to lose hope for something better than I have known as a Hibby. If the Huns manage to wriggle out of their predicament with a slap on the wrist then I think this could be last nail in the coffin personally. I am considering going to see another team in Edinburgh who are doing quite well at the moment. The Gunners....in a sport where sportsmanship still exists and you don't see players surrounding referee's and there are not a couple of teams with complete dominance over the rest and there is no sectarian bile. My two kids are Hibby's and I am thinking of all the depressing times ahead for them and think I might just do them a favor and take them to see the rugby instead.

Apologies if this offends and die-hards. I salute your optimism and will to follow the Hibs. Like the OP my heart will always be with Hibs but I'm growing tired of it all.

First Team Breakthrough stuart62's Avatar
    Personally I think a league without the OF will be more exciting and many fans will return to watch football again.
    But it needs to be done properly with wage caps, less foreign players and more importantly cheaper admission.
    I think we're all just bored out our minds with the same old season after season.

Quote Originally Posted by leither#1 View Post
    Ok fair enough, but he only scored around 8 goals for them that season and who ever got £4 million for him must have been laughing all the way to the bank.
    Just checked Celtic paid Wolves £1.5 million to take him on loan..
    You're both taking about different players. It was Henri Camara that went to Celtic on loan from Wolves. I think leither is talking about Diomansy Kamara.

Testimonial Due
    Bye then.

I would however asked at what point you believed it was going to change. The fact that you discuss players on their bench making more money that our starting 11 in the sentence after noting the problems at rangers seems ironic.

Scottish football is dead because we have a pash support. say what you like the stadium today was embarrassing, too many people would rather sit at home in a dark room and foam at the mouth over the EPL, if they get something about them and come along and support their team then maybe things will change. But if anything sounds like you are off to become one of them, alas adding to the problem you highlighted.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    You're both taking about different players. It was Henri Camara that went to Celtic on loan from Wolves. I think leither is talking about Diomansy Kamara.
    Who was also on loan at Celtic for a while, at the same time as Robbie Keane.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Bye then.

I would however asked at what point you believed it was going to change. The fact that you discuss players on their bench making more money that our starting 11 in the sentence after noting the problems at rangers seems ironic.

Scottish football is dead because we have a pash support. say what you like the stadium today was embarrassing, too many people would rather sit at home in a dark room and foam at the mouth over the EPL, if they get something about them and come along and support their team then maybe things will change. But if anything sounds like you are off to become one of them, alas adding to the problem you highlighted.
    Daft argument. Ever wonder why so many are sat at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Who was also on loan at Celtic for a while, at the same time as Robbie Keane.
    Yup. Which is where the confusion is arising presumably.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Bye then.

To be honest mate not that interested in the mega money league that is the EPL, quite like Spurs but always have done since they signed ardilles and Villa after the 78 world cup, because I loved that world cup. Oh don't get me wrong I'd love Hibs to be playing silky football week in week out, but it is just not going to happen in the foreseeable future. My point was that football in Scotland is absolutely dominated by celtic and rangers, it has become boring and menotonous. Our support will never be that of theirs and if football is going to based on the amount of fans you can get through your turnstyle then I am afraid that Hibs are goosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Cheers for that, getting my camera's mixed up

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    Rangers and Celtic have dominated Scottish football for over 100 years. There are no easy answers to this problem. Both of these clubs have a massive fans base that all the other clubs do not have. Both of these clubs can afford to get better players than us and all the other teams in Scotland. Supporting a team Like Hibs is a passion and there are a lot of hard days...... The rewards are the times when we beat the OF and win silverware.
    I only ask that our players give 100% when they train and play football. That they hurt when they get beat and try to do better next time. Football has been called the beautiful game. I want Hibs to play football in this way.

If I was a football player and had lost 5 goals to another team; I would want to play that team asap and restore my pride as professional player. Celtic are a very good team but any team can be beaten. I wonder if there are any Hibs players who read this website and care about Hibs. From what I have seen of Pat I think he cares about Hibs and has a good chance of restoring pride in Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Bye then
    he's spot on!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    If the huns stay in the SPL next season then I will have a serious think about whether I renew my ST.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

First Team Breakthrough Lost_Mackem's Avatar
    I admire the Hibs fans who turn up at Easter Road every week more than fans of clubs down here who turn up every week knowing that come the end of the season, we've no chance of winning anything.

Fans are getting fed up of the modern game, attendances are down everywhere and whilst some of that may be down to the current economic situation I think a lot of it is to do with disillusion at the money players, agents and clubs are earning.

I know as a Sunderland fan, 5 years ago I was excited because we were in the Championship and the target was to get promoted, it was exciting for me. Then we got promoted and the target was to survive in the Premier League. That target was achieved, then it was to consolidate ourselves as a mid-table club, that was exciting for a while but that target was achieved.

Now what is the next target? There isn't one... because we can never ever finish higher than 7th in the league... and that is what has ruined it for me. There is no excitement anymore, the same teams win things every year and then you have plastic Man United fans saying "I don't know why you support Sunderland, you should support us we actually win trophies." There is nothing that infuriates me more than when some twat who has set foot inside Old Trafford less than I have says that to me wearing his replica top with "Rooney" on the back.

Gone are the days when a charismatic manager like Brian Clough could take a Nottingham Forest from second division obscurity to European Champions, and that is the real tragedy.

What happened today is as good an argument for my Scottish Football Stockholm Syndrome thread as could have been made. Things have to change or Scottish football ....... and Hibs .......... are doomed.

REVOLUTION NOW !!!