hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What is your attitude to a new "Rangers" entering at Div1?

Voters
1004. You may not vote on this poll
  • Opposed - and will walk away from Scottish professional football

533 53.09%
  • Opposed - but will continue to support the game.

447 44.52%
  • In favour.

24 2.39%
Page 1457 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 457957135714071447145514561457145814591467 ... LastLast
Results 43,681 to 43,710 of 44390
    @hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berwickhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for info I described Lungstram a dirty fouling Hun on Facebook and that is now regarded as hate speech and I got a 7 day ban. Unbelievably when you consider the amount of bile posted by Huns
    I politely put forward factual info regarding Scot.gov to one of them who in turn, wouldn’t even look at it and proceeded to call me a pedophile, all on view on Facebook. I naturally defended myself not aggressively although, I had to hold myself back, but still got a one month jail sentence from FB, he or she or it, nothing!

I removed myself from all aspects of social media after that and now have a much more peaceful time away from those ignorant knuckledraggers.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 16-10-2021 at 10:57 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    That's a fair point but we have to be careful not to get caught up in whataboutery, which is exactly how the term Hun started getting portrayed as being sectarian.
    I couldn’t agree more. The legislation does seem to leave itself open to “pick a word or phrase” but it is really easy for us to stop using hun as there are so many more words that describe the unacceptable, racist, sectarian, bigoted, aggressive behaviour of the average Orc.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    You have a fair point but the definition of racially offensive language/behaviour includes that ‘if any person believes it to be’ then it has to be treated as racially offensive language/behaviour. Now I realise that is overarching but I expect the definition applies to sectarian or bigoted language/behaviour too. ��

Thing is it’s a two way street and if we are to address this behaviour then there are things we may not understand or agree with but we must suck up. If we don’t then nothing moves forward I’m afraid.
    95% of supporters don't understand this.
    It's them that are out of step not Nil By Mouth.
    I was at the last Hibs v Rangers game we were able to attend at Easter Road. It was a Friday night just before Christmas.
    I happened to be sober but most other supporters around me in the East were well oiled and the level of hate coming out of them was off the scale. Contorted faces of hate, hun ******* this and orange ******* that, all the while gesticulating aggressively towards the Rangers supporters.
    Sad, pathetic, unpleasant, embarrassing and very much part of the problem.
    The Rangers supporters started all this hate decades ago but a hater is a hater whatever colours they wear and hate is at the centre of this issue.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-10-2021 at 12:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Can't fault their response in this instance. I couldn't agree more about the equivocating though.

Unfortunately I’m not sure Nil by Mouth can recover their legitimacy. They got dragged into whataboutery and for me it has fatally undermined their message.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    You have a fair point but the definition of racially offensive language/behaviour includes that ‘if any person believes it to be’ then it has to be treated as racially offensive language/behaviour. Now I realise that is overarching but I expect the definition applies to sectarian or bigoted language/behaviour too. 🤔

Thing is it’s a two way street and if we are to address this behaviour then there are things we may not understand or agree with but we must suck up. If we don’t then nothing moves forward I’m afraid.

Nope, it’s preposterous and simply encourages Rangers to continue to deflect and point the finger rather than face up to their problem.

What’s the next word to be deemed racially offensive? Sevco?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Nope, it’s preposterous and simply encourages Rangers to continue to deflect and point the finger rather than face up to their problem.

What’s the next word to be deemed racially offensive? Sevco?
    No, Sevco does not dehumanise them whereas calling them huns does.
    The same as folk calling sex offenders paedo's and beasts.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-10-2021 at 12:04 PM.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    No I’m quite certain that Atilla and his army were all human. This label is somehow different to an ‘Orc’ which is ostensibly acceptable? I’ve always seen hun as being insightfully descriptive of behaviour that gave rise to it and not in any way sectarian in origin. The fact that as a group they themselves appear to have distinct sectarian leanings should not have mattered. Even the Prussian huns would have been almost entirely Lutheran Protestants.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    No I’m quite certain that Atilla and his army were all human. This label is somehow different to an ‘Orc’ which is ostensibly acceptable? I’ve always seen hun as being insightfully descriptive of behaviour that gave rise to it and not in any way sectarian in origin. The fact that as a group they themselves appear to have distinct sectarian leanings should not have mattered. Even the Prussian huns would have been almost entirely Lutheran Protestants.
    I don't know what they think about being compared to fictional or mythological monsters
    I blame Morgoth for creating them.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-10-2021 at 12:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    The same as folk calling sex offenders paedo's and beasts.
    The term is used to describe their behaviour - a barbarous, destructive person; vandal.

It describes the type of humans they are as a group. It is usually used to describe them as a group ie Go home you Huns, The Hun B's. I hate the term paedos being thrown around at fitba but see that as totally different. The The fans act in a anti Catholin way en masse, they have destroyed city centres en masse too. This isn't all of them being targeted for an individuals behaviour it is them being described as a group. Calling a group of fans paedos because they have a player with a chequered past is totally different imo.

I actually agree with lots of your points though. Being as big a hater as them probably isn't the best response. However, have you ever tried to talk to the Police or Stewards about the behaviour you are witnessing. They simply aren't interested. The fact the authorities allow the behaviour we see from The The fans is the reason you get the reaction. I would like to see if an organised campaign where opposition supporters got together to report sectarian abuse while charging themselves to stop using language deemed to be hateful by others. It would lead nowhere but it would confirm that this type of behaviour is fine in a modern Scotland and probably embolden them to go even further. They are completely Brazen as it is.

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton1875 View Post
    Thought this was pretty funny.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport...20210811211044

Rangers

"Definitely the more repellent half of the Old Firm rivalry, perhaps because they’ve no Pope of Rome to provide spiritual guidance. In a movie going into administration and rising back up the ranks would be a journey that made the team and their fans better people. In real life? No"

That last sentence could also apply to Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The term is used to describe their behaviour - a barbarous, destructive person; vandal.

It describes the type of humans they are as a group. It is usually used to describe them as a group ie Go home you Huns, The Hun B's. I hate the term paedos being thrown around at fitba but see that as totally different. The The fans act in a anti Catholin way en masse, they have destroyed city centres en masse too. This isn't all of them being targeted for an individuals behaviour it is them being described as a group. Calling a group of fans paedos because they have a player with a chequered past is totally different imo.

I actually agree with lots of your points though. Being as big a hater as them probably isn't the best response. However, have you ever tried to talk to the Police or Stewards about the behaviour you are witnessing. They simply aren't interested. The fact the authorities allow the behaviour we see from The The fans is the reason you get the reaction. I would like to see if an organised campaign where opposition supporters got together to report sectarian abuse while charging themselves to stop using language deemed to be hateful by others. It would lead nowhere but it would confirm that this type of behaviour is fine in a modern Scotland and probably embolden them to go even further. They are completely Brazen as it is.
    I've never thought that it was reasonable to hassle police or stewards about thousands of people singing sectarian songs. Nothing they can reasonably do about it.
    It's gone on for the 50 years I have been going to games and it should have been sorted out by the SPFL or the Scottish Govt decades ago.
    Given the clubs are the SPFL and the SPFL are the clubs they will never sort it out themselves so need to have their hand forced by the Scottish Govt if we are ever to move on.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-10-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Nobody believes the term hun is sectarian. Some people want everyone to pretend it is due to deflection and whataboutery. Just like some people want everyone to pretend Rangers didn't die. It's important to acknowledge the stark difference between belief and wishful thinking.

That's a fair point but we have to be careful not to get caught up in whataboutery, which is exactly how the term Hun started getting portrayed as being sectarian.
    **** the hun its about as offensive as the Scots being called jocks, **** them they is all huns.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    **** the hun its about as offensive as the Scots being called jocks, **** them they is all huns.
    Exactly

Testimonial Due
    Exactly
    Jocks and Scotch are all annoying but says nothing about our character. Huns sums that club's behaviour by many on and off the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Jocks and Scotch are all annoying but says nothing about our character. Huns sums that club's behaviour by many on and off the pitch
    Yes it absolutely does.....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post

You need to be careful using the word “mass” in there. Yeh I know the spelling is different but…🤣

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.g.../19670571.amp/

Huns getting all uppity again (while still singing sectarian songs unchallenged, obviously)

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.g.../19670571.amp/

Huns getting all uppity again (while still singing sectarian songs unchallenged, obviously)
    Link not opening for me

Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    Link not opening for me
    https://www.rangersnews.uk/club-news/rangers-fans-charity-nil-by-mouth-st-mirren-chairman-tweets/amp/

He called themm Huns and sevco in case you are wondering what the 'sectarian' terms were 😂

https://www.rangersnews.uk/club-news/rangers-fans-charity-nil-by-mouth-st-mirren-chairman-tweets/amp/

He called themm Huns and sevco in case you are wondering what the 'sectarian' terms were 😂
    They are experts at very obvious deflection and whataboutery aren't they!

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    He is a long time friend of mine, surprised he would say anything after being put onto their board, but a true footie fan (who like most of us doesn't like them or their twin arsecheek)

Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    He is a long time friend of mine, surprised he would say anything after being put onto their board, but a true footie fan (who like most of us doesn't like them or their twin arsecheek)
    I think the tweets are from years back. No doubt dug up those who can't wait to be offended but then go on to dish out abuse at will soon after.

I hadn't realised that Nil By Mouth was a Rangers "charity". I genuinely thought they were fighting sectarianism but it appears all they are doing is legitimising whataboutery.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    I hadn't realised that Nil By Mouth was a Rangers "charity". I genuinely thought they were fighting sectarianism but it appears all they are doing is legitimising whataboutery.
    Some things by mouth might be a more appropriate non "sectarian" name for it then?

Never ceases to amaze me what this sort of creature isn't offended by and doesn't regard as sectarian.

It really is the Scotland's shame that the laws exist to at least take action. There's plenty targets every week but I think it shows the country in a poorer light that governments effectively ignore their own laws for fear of offending, or worse, those they should be meeting head on.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    If Nil by Mouth thinks “ Sevco “ is an offensive term then they’d better get onto Companies House right away.

There are numerous references to Sevco and The Rangers on that site, it was the original name of the parent company ffs.

Come to think of it, they get offended by The Rangers tag too, maybe time the word “The” got banned too, just to keep them happy.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    If Nil by Mouth thinks “ Sevco “ is an offensive term then they’d better get onto Companies House right away.

There are numerous references to Sevco and The Rangers on that site, it was the original name of the parent company ffs.

Come to think of it, they get offended by The Rangers tag too, maybe time the word “The” got banned too, just to keep them happy.
    Tbf, I think it was the term “Huns” and also hoping the bridge collapses when all their fans were bouncing on it , that were the real offensive comments to which they refer ..

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Tbf, I think it was the term “Huns” and also hoping the bridge collapses when all their fans were bouncing on it , that were the real offensive comments to which they refer ..
    In the report I read , Sevco was mentioned as one of the offensive terms that was used.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    In the report I read , Sevco was mentioned as one of the offensive terms that was used.
    Fair enough - the tweets that were reported had worse than that

Nil by Mouth really do need to f*** off.

Or at least check the definition of ‘derogatory’ in a dictionary.